• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

TYPING OF THE DEAD

OVERKILL

OUT NOW STEAM 8 QUID BUY IT FGCGVFD'
u0TjrxB.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
Ninj, will check out those Radiohead track later on tonight. Thanks!

CHEEZMO™;87969813 said:
This was rad. Cheers.

Thought you might like it. He's doing a show in Glasgow next week and I'm wondering whether to go for a laugh. Not entirely sure how and/or why he's popular over here and the US. Bizarre.

Oh and btw, Any Gaffers living in South Yorkshire looking for free PS2/Gamecube and PC games? Some guy's giving away Wind Waker, Capcom vs Snk2, Warcraft III, GTA 3 etc.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87853948&postcount=9721

jimbor

Banned
Blimey, that's practically nothing! Didn't try hard enough

Is it any good? I've heard mixed reviews so far

It wasn't for lack of trying but all that food and drinking took it's toll, didn't want to eat anything in the end. My poor old ring took a battering, all that hfcs shite in everything didn't agree with me.

One of the highlights was the Red Rock Canyon hike I did with somebody I met from a boxing forum I frequent. The view was amazing and the dude was cool as fuck.

In a word, no. I wanted to like it, I really did. A mixture of lazy and frustrating mechanics, combined with Daniel Way's writing (longest running Deadpool writer, also the worst by some distance!) meant I gave up near the end.

Save yourself the money and watch a YouTube of Deadpool exploring his apartment. Everything else is terrible.

8bit

Knows the Score
Blimey, that's practically nothing! Didn't try hard enough

Do you like Deadpool? Do you like Nolan North? Does the prospect of Nolan North breaking the 4th wall in a rote, mindless and mediocre slash/beat em up appeal to you?

Mikeside

So I had another idea for what to write for NaNo - two strangers meet on the train during their morning commute, the train is then delayed due to a suicide on the line - the two get chatting and realize they're profoundly unhappy with their lives, so they decide to switch trains and see where the world takes them.

...but that requires a lot of dialogue, so I think I'll stick to the plan

Morning everyone!

I haven't been posting in here much because my attention span has gone down the shitter.

Anyway I hope that everyone's ok.

When I was off work on Monday a customer accused me of entering their bank details incorrectly on the system because their £14k that they were expecting got paid to the wrong account. Anyway yesterday I found the original signed letter with the bank details that the customer had sent me, they'd only gone and sent me the wrong bank account details! They were promptly told that it's not our problem and they must resolve it themselves, the stupid cunts even tried to send another unsigned letter with the correct details, insisting that it was what they originally sent.

/rant

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I had another idea for what to write for NaNo - two strangers meet on the train during their morning commute, the train is then delayed due to a suicide on the line - the two get chatting and realize they're profoundly unhappy with their lives, so they decide to switch trains and see where the world takes them.

That's a really nice idea, man.

f0rk

Is one of them actually a ghost and they were the one who suicided

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, Meat. How's the little 'un?

Got a little bit of an issue trying to isolate what is the cause of her troublesome 'windy pops', but apart from that she's all good, cheers. It's been a month or so now and I still can't stop staring at her! If I wasn't such a half-arsed luddite I chuck a photo up. My biggest concern is the wife, I wish she'd get more sleep, her general anxieties are running her ragged. Thanks for asking, though!

How goes your own road to fatherhood, sir?

When I take off the hood on my Pikachu onesie, I apparently look like Walter White in his meth lab getup. It's the Pokemon x Breaking Bad costume I never asked for, but have no problems with it. xD

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm just a charitable person and I don't want to be selfish and keep the goods to myself.

That and dancing in those clubs makes you bloody hot.

Thanks! I've got about 48hours to decide if I think I'm up to the challenge of writing believable dialogue (my greatest writer-based fear) and if so, I think I'll go with it.

The twist is that one of them was the train the whole time.

Writing believable dialogue is probably one of the most difficult things for me. I'm much better when it comes to describing people's internal thoughts and feelings.

Also, Mike, I seem to remember at some point you were talking about writing a fantasy novel?

Oh and clearly this whole "on a train" setting is a metaphor for for a deep discussion these two strangers are having during sexual intercourse

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! I've got about 48hours to decide if I think I'm up to the challenge of writing believable dialogue (my greatest writer-based fear) and if so, I think I'll go with it.

What better place to iron out the kinks and perfect your skills? Run with it and see what happens. I'd read it (and I can't even read).

The twist is that one of them was the train the whole time.

Mikeside

Writing believable dialogue is probably one of the most difficult things for me. I'm much better when it comes to describing people's internal thoughts and feelings.

Also, Mike, I seem to remember at some point you were talking about writing a fantasy novel?

Oh and clearly this whole "on a train" setting is a metaphor for for a deep discussion these two strangers are having during sexual intercourse

Fantasy novel?
Sort of, it's kind of an alternative Victorian (think steampunk without the steam?) period piece about a boy who dies & his father's journey towards acceptance - while this fairly intimate story is happening, there's also an oppressive religion that controls basically everything & they've built huge clocks all around the city (particularly in the poorer districts) that are counting down to their supposed 'judgement day', when the world will end & judgement will come.

There are some pretty awesome supporting characters who I'd love to write full-on stories for, but I'm being held back because there's a huge hole in the middle of the story where I need to get from A to B, but I have no idea what route to take - it's going to entirely change the context of the ending (and the message it puts forward) depending which way I go with it.

There's also the dialogue issue :p Why do people have to speak?

Fuck it. I'll do the new idea for this NaNo to try and overcome my fear of characters talking to each other.

I'd love to hear your NaNo ideas fleshed out, other participants!

Mikeside

You know mine

I know yours from what you told me during an evening filled with cocktails and shots (followed, as I remember, by tequila at your place) about 6 months ago!

Seemed epic & vast - do you think you'll fit the whole thing into 50k words, or are you just looking to get the first part finished?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Morning everyone!

I haven't been posting in here much because my attention span has gone down the shitter.

Anyway I hope that everyone's ok.

When I was off work on Monday a customer accused me of entering their bank details incorrectly on the system because their £14k that they were expecting got paid to the wrong account. Anyway yesterday I found the original signed letter with the bank details that the customer had sent me, they'd only gone and sent me the wrong bank account details! They were promptly told that it's not our problem and they must resolve it themselves, the stupid cunts even tried to send another unsigned letter with the correct details, insisting that it was what they originally sent.

/rant
Typical, I get clients who try to pull the same kind of bs in my department. That or claim that they were told something different etc. Sorry but we record our phone calls. It's rather funny to listen to a huge rant about something that never happened and then calmly inform them you just reviewed the phone call before getting in touch with them and nothing of the sort occurred.

I know yours from what you told me during an evening filled with cocktails and shots (followed, as I remember, by tequila at your place) about 6 months ago!

Seemed epic & vast - do you think you'll fit the whole thing into 50k words, or are you just looking to get the first part finished?

Oh god no, this is looking to be a full length novel, about twice that I reckon. I just need to get past writer's block and get this thing rolling. If I can write 50,000 words, even if over half of that is rubbish, that could still be 20,000 of good stuff I can use.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it. I'll do the new idea for this NaNo to try and overcome my fear of characters talking to each other.

I'd love to hear your NaNo ideas fleshed out, other participants!

Marvellous!

I'd do this NaNo business but a) I don't have the time because newborn and b) I'd be far too scared of actually putting pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) and discovering that what I was writing was utter dross. Nope, I'll just hang back and criticise stuff like I always do. :)

Is there like a procedure for this NaNo thing? Something you have to sign up for?

Asking purely out of curiosity, I have no room in my schedule to write a novel.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh god no, this is looking to be a full length novel, about twice that I reckon. I just need to get past writer's block and get this thing rolling. If I can write 50,000 words, even if over half of that is rubbish, that could still be 20,000 of good stuff I can use.

That sounds about par for the course to me, about 20k usable words would be good. What is your idea Musha? Spill, you secretive minx.

I feel like I'm willfully giving myself schizophrenia with my idea, especially late night when I'm baked and reading anthropological classifications of alien species, I can almost feel my mind warping, forcing myself to believe insane things, or try to work them into the fabric of my worldview. I'm super in love with my idea even though I barely have an actual plot yet. I have mayyyyybe the first two chapters in my head. That's enough to get me going.

At the moment I have one massive plausibility hole in my story - I have a character who discovers they are a half-reptillian shapeshifter (in the David Icke mold). I have the discovery and first few major interactions planned, but I need a way to get this character from England over into the super secret underground bases in America which is where all the fun stuff is. I can't work out just why the military/NWO would allow an outsider in. Maybe she has special knowledge, but I don't know what that is yet. Could be a DNA code or something even. Maybe she gets captured?

Mrs Sniv's contribution to the book is that G W Bush was a retarded inbred reptillian, this made her laugh more than she probably should have.

Depends on how flexible the shape-shifting power is, surely. If they're like Mystique, then surely they can just pose as a myriad of people to eventually make their way in?

Darren870

I hate when people on gumtree ask you about something and then when you respond you never hear back for days.

Just a simple no I changed my mind will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom