• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| British Election mega-thread - 12th December 2019 : Let's try again, again.

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Anyone else feeling a massive sense of relief that parliament were unable to overthrow democracy? Out of everything that's happened, that terrified me the most.
Absolutely! I didn't vote in the referendum and was fine with both Remain and Leave, but not enacting the result might have lead to some very nasty consequences. A functioning democracy depends on the losing side's willingness to concede. The hardcore Remoaner's unwillingness to do this was dangerous. That's why Boris should tell Sturgeon to go fuck herself too. A once in a generation vote means a once in a generation vote. Looking forward to 5 years of relative normalcy (I've probably jinxed it now...)

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Me.

Even though I voted remain in 2016 and for the first year tried to fight back I knew ultimately Brexit had to happen to bring resolution to the Country. After seeing the MSM and the remain camp in parliament keep telling everyone they didn’t know what they voted for I felt disgusted, yes people knew what they voted to be free of EU political interference. I thought it was very disingenuous to the 17.4 to keep rejecting Brexit and push for a second vote. Even after the 2017 GE and the EU elections where pro-Brexit parties constantly won they still wouldn’t listen.

They got what they deserved in the end and now Brexit will happen and the Country can move forward now that the swamp is drained.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Congrats on the Brits for winning both the popular vote AND the house majority.

You guys avoided a "Canada" situation, where only London could decide the fate of your country.

RED = CITY. There's the division.

Anyone else feeling a massive sense of relief that parliament were unable to overthrow democracy? Out of everything that's happened, that terrified me the most.
This is the best part. We proved that majority rule is still in effect, despite the London/city-based elite telling us that we're stupid and wrong.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Remember when Corbyn and his followers said they wanted to create "a kinder, gentler politics"? Well....

It wasn't they who were wrong, you understand, it is the voters that are the problem:

Happened in the USA, too. We had headline after headline about how Trump supporters would not accept the election results, how Trump supports would get brash and violent, etc etc

Then they behaved exactly like they claimed their opponents would act, the entrance of The Party of Projection™ on the stage of US politics.

Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Just like to say how proud I am for the members from the UK here talking rationally from the left side and seeing why people voted Tories.

I feel and understsnd their sentiments and agree that Labour have probably took the worst approach in this (and the Lib Dems).

I am just hoping the Tories try and do the right thing for as many people as possible and mostly for the Countries that make the United Kingdom.

I don't trust the SNP one iota as they will be kicking and screaming about Brexit and demanding yet another Indy Referendum. They should be focusing with the Tories to get a good Brexit Deal instead of calling foul when the Majority of the UK Voted to get it over with now.

I accept the result and hope for the best of Brexit. If not, then I will hold my hands up and admit it was a mistake.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Remember when Corbyn and his followers said they wanted to create "a kinder, gentler politics"? Well....

It wasn't they who were wrong, you understand, it is the voters that are the problem:

They're always like bratty children kicking their feet and screaming (literally) when they don't get their way.

Reactions: hariseldon

Caffeine

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2013
so reee went from oh boy cant wait to holy shit its 2016 all over again in that thread. its as if there exists a world outside that forum and not everyone likes stroking each other off with the same ideology. This is what happens when you ban 10,000 users because they are bigots for having opinions unlike yours. the same could be said for the bots posting left leaning articles all the time on r/ukpolitics and r/politics on reddit. The comment sections on each article is like think and differing opinions gets downvoted to hell. I see twitter follows a similar trend.

Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England

This video basically sums it up and reveals the truth about how the modern left hates the working class. The right gets it, the left no longer speaks for us.
This woman wants to be a NURSE as well?

"I care about people", yeah until a patient gives you crap and you do something unprofessional that makes you look like a hypocrite.

How about actually having life experience first before spewing hatred for the PM who hasn't effectively done anything yet for you to spew that nonsense.

Not a fan of BJ but honestly he has done nothing to personally affect my life to hate on him. You would think this idiot was assaulted by him or something. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
hariseldon hariseldon Don't see how the video reveals that. She only seems contemptuous towards Boris and nothing about working class people is mentioned??

Edit: She does. i was wrong.

Last edited:

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019

This video basically sums it up and reveals the truth about how the modern left hates the working class. The right gets it, the left no longer speaks for us.
This is what I was saying to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi before the results came in; The left are all about the upper-middle class and upper-class university educated rich kids.

Corbyn would have been worse for the working class than the tories; sure you get free broadband (which costs £40 a month, tops) and you would have had a pay rise to £10 an hour (which the tories are doing) but the tax increase and cost of living on the essentials would have gone through the roof.

Notice the tone of her voice, how it inflects at the end, like a yank. She is bred of social media and the worst of Americanisation and represents not one shred of British culture or dignity.

Added bonus; good luck getting a job in the NHS after wishing death to the prime minister.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
This is what I was saying to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi before the results came in; The left are all about the upper-middle class and upper-class university educated rich kids.

Corbyn would have been worse for the working class than the tories; sure you get free broadband (which costs £40 a month, tops) and you would have had a pay rise to £10 an hour (which the tories are doing) but the tax increase and cost of living on the essentials would have gone through the roof.

Notice the tone of her voice, how it inflects at the end, like a yank. She is bred of social media and the worst of Americanisation and represents not one shred of British culture or dignity.

Added bonus; good luck getting a job in the NHS after wishing death to the prime minister.
Well, their housing policy would have been good. Tories have really failed on that front with none of those starter homes promised being built.

Last edited:

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Not a fan of BJ but honestly he has done nothing to personally affect my life to hate on him. You would think this idiot was assaulted by him or something. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
I see more hatred towards Johnson than May, Cameron, Campbell or Darling, to mention nothing of Thatcher or Major. Which to me, tells me all I need to know about the life experiences of the people who are kicking off.

This isn't aimed at you TurkeyMasterBaster, you're a good dude, i'm just using it as a quote for ease.

Johnson has so far united the country and the outlook is now more stable and positive than it was 6 months ago.

Regardless of people's political leanings or that of leaders, BJ has done more positive steps than we have seen in 5 or 6 years.

I'll be disappointed though, if I don't see British headlines making fun of Trump and BJ's names though.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
hariseldon hariseldon Don't see how the video reveals that. She only seems contemptuous towards Boris and nothing about working class people is mentioned. It's no secret that people who work in the NHS really hate the Tories generally.
“to see working class people shooting themselves in the face” - it’s that usual working class people are stupid for voting the wrong way line again. Listen again if you missed it.

Reactions: Gashtronomy

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Well, the housing would have been good too.
As we discussed before, while we need more houses now, we need less people in the mid/long-term. I would like to see the return of 'council housing' after that bitch Thatcher sold them all off. Hopefully we will get there. Once the housing market settles down it will become more affordable to people.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I see more hatred towards Johnson than May, Cameron, Campbell or Darling, to mention nothing of Thatcher or Major. Which to me, tells me all I need to know about the life experiences of the people who are kicking off.

This isn't aimed at you TurkeyMasterBaster, you're a good dude, i'm just using it as a quote for ease.

Johnson has so far united the country and the outlook is now more stable and positive than it was 6 months ago.

Regardless of people's political leanings or that of leaders, BJ has done more positive steps than we have seen in 5 or 6 years.

I'll be disappointed though, if I don't see British headlines making fun of Trump and BJ's names though.
In fairness, it's because people have dislike Boris for a lot longer. People certainly kicked off when he was appointed Foreign Secretary.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
“to see working class people shooting themselves in the face” - it’s that usual working class people are stupid for voting the wrong way line again. Listen again if you missed it.
Yep, variations of "they voted against their own best interests" materialized almost the instant after the exit polls came in. This should be a wake-up call to those same "stupid poor people". When the group claiming to champion for their best interests think they're too stupid to know what those best interests are, ya gotta take a pause and reconsider who you're voting for. Wave to your overlords, peasants!

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
Oh that. Yeah you're right, was a bit of a condescending thing to say.

Reactions: hariseldon

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Yep, variations of "they voted against their own best interests" materialized almost the instant after the exit polls came in. This should be a wake-up call to those same "stupid poor people". When the group claiming to champion for their best interests think they're too stupid to know what those best interests are, ya gotta take a pause and reconsider who you're voting for. Wave to your overlords, peasants!
They did wake up, hence Boris winning. Good on them I say.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019

Tweet unavailable?

In fairness, it's because people have dislike Boris for a lot longer. People certainly kicked off when he was appointed Foreign Secretary.
They only kicked off because he doesn't pander to the SJW crowd, he says it how it is. The same with Prince Albert.

BJ was brilliant on HIGNFY, when Hislop and Merton were trying to roast him and he was brilliant as London Mayor. A true eccentric, off the wall, posh, toffy-nosed Brit

Reactions: Hayfield

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
BJ was brilliant on HIGNFY, when Hislop and Merton were trying to roast him and he was brilliant as London Mayor. A true eccentric, off the wall, posh, toffy-nosed Brit
Well that's not personally what I appreciate about politicians but okay.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
My final election post. A warning:

While I expected the 19-24 year olds to support Corbyn, those 25-34 and 35-44 groups are a little scary. The Tories and and other parties need to do something about that.

31 January 2020 - Brexit Day. There will almost certainly be plenty of meltdowns. See you all then!
I've been thinking about this and I don't believe there is anything to worry about, going off of previous trends.

People naturally become more conservative as they get older; you have more to work for, more to lose and are at a place where you are starting to save, earn more and even start more revenue streams.

All this chart says to me is that it is taking people longer to settle down, which we know about as couples are waiting longer to start families (30+ now rather than 20+ in previous generations). That would indicate that the natural progression towards conservatism is taking longer. I will go out on a limb and guess that the swing towards conservatism will be even greater next election, as those 30-somethings are now prime age to begin to see the world in a different light.

It's easy to vote liberal and labour when you have nothing to lose and loads of free shit to gain. On the flip-side, if you are 40 with two young children, do you want to offer your hard-earned money handed over to scroungers? Especially if you have taken the decision to hold off having a family so that you can be more financially stable?

Labour should be in full on panic mode. 2025 has the potential to be more blue than it was Yesterday. Unless they completely cock it up.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Well that's not personally what I appreciate about politicians but okay.
I understand. I'm from a working class background in the North. Posh, toffy-nosed rich twats are not my kind of people to rub shoulders with, they are, however, my preferred -albeit through gritted teeth - people to run the country. I wouldn't want fat-Dave down the Nag's Head, whose idea of a foreign country is the Brit resort in Spain, running the country.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I understand. I'm from a working class background in the North. Posh, toffy-nosed rich twats are not my kind of people to rub shoulders with, they are, however, my preferred -albeit through gritted teeth - people to run the country. I wouldn't want fat-Dave down the Nag's Head, whose idea of a foreign country is the Brit resort in Spain, running the country.
Ah, I understand. Neither would I. Much prefer strong confident statesmen like Cameron/Blair.

Last edited:

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Ah, I understand. Neither would I. Much prefer strong confident statesmen like Cameron/Blair.
Blair, yes, he had a charm about him, even though in retrospect he turned out to be a lying sleeze-ball.

Cameron, no. He tried to pretend he was one of the lads, which is a sleazey thing to do. At least BJ Is open about his toffy-nosed bafoonery.

I did like harriet harmon and i felt genuinely bad for her when Clegg the spineless cunt sided with the tories and not labour. Labour+Libs would have made a fantastic team back then and Brexit would have never happened, for better or for worse.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Mar 30, 2012
I've been thinking about this and I don't believe there is anything to worry about, going off of previous trends.

People naturally become more conservative as they get older; you have more to work for, more to lose and are at a place where you are starting to save, earn more and even start more revenue streams.

All this chart says to me is that it is taking people longer to settle down, which we know about as couples are waiting longer to start families (30+ now rather than 20+ in previous generations). That would indicate that the natural progression towards conservatism is taking longer. I will go out on a limb and guess that the swing towards conservatism will be even greater next election, as those 30-somethings are now prime age to begin to see the world in a different light.

It's easy to vote liberal and labour when you have nothing to lose and loads of free shit to gain. On the flip-side, if you are 40 with two young children, do you want to offer your hard-earned money handed over to scroungers? Especially if you have taken the decision to hold off having a family so that you can be more financially stable?

Labour should be in full on panic mode. 2025 has the potential to be more blue than it was Yesterday. Unless they completely cock it up.
We have an aging population. That chart basically shows that Labour are popular with a shrinking demographic.

And as you say, people tend to move right as they age. I voted Lib Dem when I was a student ("They're going to scrap tuition fees, yay!"), Now I'm 33, married, job, mortgage. Tory.

llien

Feb 1, 2017
So, what sort of Brexit is going to happen now?
The "hard brexit" (I was told it was the only "true" brexit by a number of twitter celebrities), or the compromise with "frontstop" that BJ has agreed on before GE?

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
So, what sort of Brexit is going to happen now?
The "hard brexit" (I was told it was the only "true" brexit by a number of twitter celebrities), or the compromise with "frontstop" that BJ has agreed on before GE?
Probably something close to the recently renegotiated deal. This election cemented that Remain is dead and there will be no second referendum, so the EU has little incentive to drag things out any further by being impossible in negotiations.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
This was on the radio last night. They will likely appoint another mental case leader and the result will be labour will be their own permanent undoing.

Scope this fruitcake

Everybody should watch this while imagining a hitler stash on him. If i could video edit, i'd just make it.

Edit:

Reminds me of that Austrian chap with the funny moustache.
Beat by a cat.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
At the moment it's still not clear whether this election spells the end for Labour's drift to the far left and anti-Semitism (that's a war which is going to be fought in the party over the coming months). What it 100% does spell the end of, however, is the Remain campaign. The big problem with Brexit over the past 3 and a half years has been the fact that although 52% of the people voted leave, 75% of parliamentarians were Remainers and have been fighting a rearguard action ever since the referendum (aided and abetted at ties by the media and the EU):

Now that resistance has finally come to an end. All the major players have given up and accepted that Brexit is now going to happen:

Remember those MPs who went independent to block Brexit? Anna Soubry, Dominic Grieve etc? All gone:

Remember the FBPE types on twitter, the QCs fighting in the courts, that obnoxious "Brexit man" who always rudely made a racket outside Parliament? All irrelevant now:

For those small minority of hard-core Remainers, Remain must now become Rejoin. That's a different prospect altogether. What about the Euro, Shengen, the new EU army, the rebate the UK had, no "ever closer union" opt-outs...? The list goes on and on. The rest if us, Leavers and Remainers alike, will just get on with our lives.

The battle for Brexit, 2016-2019, is now at an end.
Wait, there's talk of people being able to retain dual citizenship? That's a clusterfuck civil war in the making,

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Communists and socialists will never, ever understand why the working class wants nothing to do with them. The 'best' argument I've heard is that the 'working class doesn't have time for politics, they're too busy working to scrape by, so we need to do it for them'. The sheer amount of condescension and lack of self-awareness in that response has fueled me for years.

Last edited:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
the best news is that if all future trade arrangements also have to pass through parliament then Johnson has carte blance to negotiate how he wants, with the withdrawal agreement the EU knew that the Tories were hamstrung and on the back-foot because of the parliament...well not any more