• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| British Election mega-thread - 12th December 2019 : Let's try again, again.

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015

This is a great speech.

Edit: also the next one

Couldn’t make it through the first due to the servile grovelling at the beginning of the speech.

The second one was quite watchable though and it did have its moments.

Tbh for as much as they piss and moan about the UK and the English in particular, Corbyn and co should be very thankful that their countrymen have tolerated their treachery and bullshit, and that far from finding themselves hanging from lampposts as they so richly deserve, they have instead only been required to take a light ribbing from their fellow clowns in the big top.

Fuckwits.

Edit : I will however admit to thoroughly enjoying Norman Lamonts Brexit related speech in the Lords. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gashtronomy

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Surely it’s a parody?
The majority of the even the most hard-core remainers have already given up now, it's only the craziest of the crazies who are still fighting on. Still having FBPE in your twitter name at this point is like a woman jilted at the alter still wearing her wedding dress a week later, you know that something has broken in the head.

Speaking of hardcore remainers and their descent into madness, this one (one of those prominent QCs who were always trying to stop brexit) apparently decided to take out his anger and frustration on a poor fox he caught in his garden on Boxing Day by bludgeoning it to death with a baseball bat:

The prominent remain-supporting lawyer Jolyon Maugham QC has announced on Twitter that he clubbed a fox to death on Boxing Day morning, while wearing his wife’s satin kimono and nursing a hangover.

“Already this morning I have killed a fox with a baseball bat,” the barrister tweeted just after 8am. “How’s your Boxing Day going?”

Maugham, 48, whose Good Law Project has brought a number of legal challenges to Brexit, told followers that he had killed the animal after it became trapped while trying to get inside a hen house in his back garden in central London.

On a quiet Boxing Day morning, his account rapidly drew huge interest on Twitter, including the attention of the RSPCA, which urged anyone with first-hand knowledge of the incident to report it.
He could be facing a £5k fine and/or 6 months in prison :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: hariseldon

Dr.D00p

May 23, 2019
Hundreds of people got gongs and yet all the sad & bitter lefties can do is whine about one indivdual.

Gee, maybe if you'd put forward a Labour leader that was fit for office, you wouldn't now be suffering such angst over something so meaningless.

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
Hundreds of people got gongs and yet all the sad & bitter lefties can do is whine about one indivdual.

Gee, maybe if you'd put forward a Labour leader that was fit for office, you wouldn't now be suffering such angst over something so meaningless.
Labour putting forward their stooges when they are in power is also bad. Why can’t people see beyond party lines when it comes to this stuff?

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
Labour putting forward their stooges when they are in power is also bad. Why can’t people see beyond party lines when it comes to this stuff?
To be fair after the last election, this kind of bullshit is the only poltical artilliary Labour has.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
The Liberal Democrats in 2020...

'I'm pansexual': Lib Dem would-be leader Layla Moran reveals she is in a lesbian relationship - five years after leaving boyfriend who she admitted slapping

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
The Liberal Democrats in 2020...

'I'm pansexual': Lib Dem would-be leader Layla Moran reveals she is in a lesbian relationship - five years after leaving boyfriend who she admitted slapping

She's too special to be bisexual obviously (I suspect because in the LGBT community the Bs aren't really trusted).

Reactions: Greedings

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
She's too special to be bisexual obviously (I suspect because in the LGBT community the Bs aren't really trusted).
Lol, people like her live in their own self-absorbed bubbles.
And they say she's a potential leadership candidate.

Dec 15, 2011
So the most well-known aspects of this candidate's profile is their sexual identity and that they assaulted their ex-boyfriend?

bold_strategy_cotton.gif

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
U.K. Brexit Bill Clears House of Commons After Year of Gridlock

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit legislation cleared its final hurdle in the House of Commons, putting an end to the parliamentary gridlock that cost his predecessor Theresa May her job.

Members of Parliament voted 330 to 231 in favor of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which now passes to the upper House of Lords. Johnson wants the measures passed into law before the end of the month so the U.K. can leave the European Union on Jan. 31 and he can deliver on his election campaign promise to “get Brexit done.”
Bloomberg via Yahoo

They're doing it! Let's see if they can get it before February rolls around.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
U.K. Brexit Bill Clears House of Commons After Year of Gridlock

Bloomberg via Yahoo

They're doing it! Let's see if they can get it before February rolls around.
We're also getting closer to Northern Ireland having a government again after 3 years without one. Could be up and running tomorrow it seems. Shit is getting done. For the first time in ages I am actually optimistic about the UK's future. Boris is the man.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
I don’t think it matters who wins the Labour leader contest, whether it be Starmer, RLB, Phillips they won’t win against Boris especially if he pulls of Brexit and the economy starts growing again. They might get back a few seats but Boris is a force right now and is making some good moves.

No extension of transition, no EU alignment after Brexit, going big with FTA’s, moving the Lords to York to make the North feel more involved with the way Country is ran. Ruled out a 2nd referendum on Scotland, sorry Scotland bros but you held a vote in ‘14 and voted to stay knowing we were holding a referendum on the EU.

Dec 15, 2011
Labour still revelling in identity politics:
We want equality!
Now roll over and give up so that I can have a better chance.

A shining example of a mentality that should never ever be allowed to lead others.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
We want equality!

A shining example of a mentality that should never ever be allowed to lead others.
It's crazy isn't it? But people like Jess Phillips don't care about being consistent. That's the modern Left in a nutshell.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
We want equality!

It's funny - I don't recall Margaret Thatcher asking men to step aside so the Tories could have a female leader. Nor did Theresa May (although to be fair nobody else wanted the job at that time). And yet here in the Labour party women are victims and can't beat a man in a fair fight.

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
It's funny - I don't recall Margaret Thatcher asking men to step aside so the Tories could have a female leader. Nor did Theresa May (although to be fair nobody else wanted the job at that time). And yet here in the Labour party women are victims and can't beat a man in a fair fight.
Margaret Thatcher never expected to win the leadership; she was on record a few years before saying there would never be a Woman leader in her lifetime.

She actually won as MPs really hated Ted Heath and wanted him gone, and by the time the 2nd round voting was underway many of the favourites to succeed hadn't got their campaigns together.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Margaret Thatcher never expected to win the leadership; she was on record a few years before saying there would be a Woman leader in her lifetime.

She actually won as MPs really hated Ted Heath and wanted him gone, and by the time the 2nd round voting was underway many of the favourites to succeed hadn't got their campaigns together.
The point is she fought the fight, not asking any favours, and got the job. I'm not a fan, to be clear, I grew up in the 80s and the milk snatcher wasn't popular in our household, but she had balls bigger than most of the men in her cabinet.

llien

Feb 1, 2017
As an American, I wish our politics contained this level of joy.
Watched the second video fully, and third of the first, and well, that's not even remotely good bits that I've seen.

Actual debates around, well, mostly brexit, were cool.
I've loved the way rules allowed people to pause, let someone object, respond to it, rinse and repeat.
Hundreds of people sitting together so tightly one could hear each other quite well even without microphones adds a lot to the athmosphere.

Anyhow, perhaps there are others, but I don't know any other country in which rules allow such lively debate to take place, or where people can boo or cheer the speaker like that.

It's funny - I don't recall Margaret Thatcher asking men to step aside so the Tories could have a female leader.
Have Labour party ever had a female leader? Curious, if not.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Not one. For the modern left that's quite embarrassing given their love of identity politics. This was not always the case however - I remember when Labour were actual left-wingers rather than identitarians.

Reactions: Stilton Disco

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Not one. For the modern left that's quite embarrassing given their love of identity politics. This was not always the case however - I remember when Labour were actual left-wingers rather than identitarians.
Harriet Harman?

She ripped in to the slimey, two-faced coward that was Nick Clegg, saying that his deal with the tories just cost the country for decades to come. Funny, now that Lib dems and labour are so close.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Harriet Harman?

She ripped in to the slimey, two-faced coward that was Nick Clegg, saying that his deal with the tories just cost the country for decades to come. Funny, now that Lib dems and labour are so close.
She's only been acting leader, ie holding the fort when one resigned and the other was being elected. Looks like Margaret Beckett also had a brief stint as acting leader.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
That was only 5-10 years ago. People that can't remember that are probably related to Bidet water closet.

Mar 14, 2018
feeling cautiously optimistic the left is dying a slow death both sides of the atlantic

I don't think the neoliberal corporate types (biden, starmer) or the nutjob progs can win elections any more . The left is going to have to come up with something else to stay relevant

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
Evidently Labour party membership thinks the best response to Labour's worst election defeat in 80 years thanks to Corbynism, is Rebecca Long-Bailey and more Corbynism.

The operation is well underway to shoehorn her into the leadership. At least they can blame their next election defeat on "sexism" along with "racism"

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Evidently Labour party membership thinks the best response to Labour's worst election defeat in 80 years thanks to Corbynism, is Rebecca Long-Bailey and more Corbynism.

The operation is well underway to shoehorn her into the leadership. At least they can blame their next election defeat on "sexism" along with "racism"
I'm seriously wondering who wil replace the Labour Party as the opposition when they fall into Green Party levels of irrelevance

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/limits-loom-for-low-skilled-migrants-z3p9c6c50

Limits loom for low-skilled migrants

New restrictions on low-skilled migrants coming to Britain would be introduced at the end of this year under plans being drawn up by ministers.

The reforms would come into effect when the Brexit transition period ends in December, two years earlier than had been planned previously and scrapping a temporary extension of existing rules that was promised by Theresa May amid pressure from business groups.

Priti Patel, the home secretary, is expected to present the proposals to the cabinet this week.

However, the changes risk bringing Boris Johnson into conflict with groups such as the CBI, which has said that companies need “at least two years to adapt to any new immigration system”.

At the weekend Sajid Javid, the chancellor, warned businesses to scrap demands for Britain to remain in close alignment with European Union rules after Brexit, saying that companies had had three years to prepare for the UK’s departure.

An immigration white paper published in 2018, while Mrs May was prime minister and Mr Javid was her home secretary, described the “challenges faced by . . . employers . . . who would find it difficult immediately to adapt” to new immigration rules. It proposed a “time-limited route for temporary short-term workers” to come to Britain of two years.

The prime minister has said that his government will introduce an “Australia-style”, points-based immigration system after Brexit. During the general election Mr Johnson said that such a scheme would ensure that lower-skilled workers came to Britain only when there was a “specific shortage” of staff in certain sectors.

It is understood that a decision on immigration policy will be made after ministers see the results of a review by the Migration Advisory Committee, an independent body, into how a points-based system would work in practice.
Boris is delivering. I look forward to drinking the lovely fresh tears of the remoaners.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
I'm fed up of being tolerant, being left does not mean being weak and laying back while right wing nut cases lie and argue.
Are you tired of the nut case leftist denial of history, science and all round refusal to accept reality? and their authoritarian "think like us, join in our denial fantasy, or you are a nazi/racist/misogynist/WANKER/etc" bollocks? I sure am.

Last edited: