• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| British Election mega-thread - 12th December 2019 : Let's try again, again.

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Pre-referendum - "Don't you dare vote to leave the EU, plebs. You just wait and see what's coming for you if you do!" (500k job losses etc)

Post-referendum of Article 50 - "Of course all that bad stuff we said would happen hasn't happened yet, stupid plebs, but that's only because no one believes that we are stupid enough to actually leave the EU. You wait until Article 50 is triggered, then you'll regret it!!!"

Post-triggering of Article 50 - "Idiots, of course everything is fine, we still haven't left yet!!! You just wait until we actually leave, I can't wait to see you all lose your jobs! Oh yeah, by the way, can't your nan and grandad hurry up and die so that we can have a Peoples Vote already?"

UK leaves the EU - "Well duh, of course everything is going great, we're still in the transition period (Christ, Brexshitters are so fucking stupid). Britain is such a fascist shithole, I'm so ashamed to be English right now. Just you wait until that fascit Johnson and his far-right, racist government (especially fellow travellers like Priti Patel, Sajid Javid and their ilk, fucking nazis) end the transition period, it will be just like the 1930s again. Fuck it, I'm moving to Canada/NZ/Australia (why not an EU country while I stll have an easy chance to? Erm, oh, erm...fuck off racist!)
^ what a melodramatic diatribe.

Passport queues are the same length because there are still dedicated queues for EU and non-EU. Unless everyone was already being funnelled through ROTW queues then passport control is exactly the same. When that's no longer the case then we can take a call on whether any predictions were true or not. I dont know why any of that is controversial.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018

Oh dear. Another of the left's shining stars taken away from us. How will we survive.
It's remarkable how gay the SNP is - I mean the percentages are way out of line with national averages. Literally every bugger is gay, and indeed the wider Scottish Parliament is way gayer than average. Aside from the gay thing though, how on earth can a 40-something think it's ok to perve on a 16 year old. That shit is nasty.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
It's remarkable how gay the SNP is - I mean the percentages are way out of line with national averages. Literally every bugger is gay, and indeed the wider Scottish Parliament is way gayer than average. Aside from the gay thing though, how on earth can a 40-something think it's ok to perve on a 16 year old. That shit is nasty.
In general there’s something up with Scottish nationalists.

azz0r

May 24, 2005
www.fedsimulator.com
Right wing talking point 😂 I’ve heard it all now proof is history.

Also the EU didn’t form until the 90’s everything before that was the EEC/ Shared common interest. You could make the point that the idea of a united Europe is what brought Europe together after WW2 but the EU as it stands today is far and away what was envisioned in the 50’s. Your point that the EU ended conflict in Europe is moot because it didn’t exist.

@lilen I really can’t be bothered to discuss points with you the goal posts/ subject shift so much that it makes my head spin 😵
Its literally part of their history and mission statement, I didn't write the description in the previous post; https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/history_en

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
I used to quite like the Scottish accent.

Nowadays of course Its all gone Pavlovian. A Scottish accent is now automatically translated into a whinging whine that causes the brain to shut down as soon as it’s encountered regardless of the actual words involved.

It’s a shame. And yes, the SNP are a total shower of self-serving, authoritarian shit weasels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayfield

Sleepydays

Sep 12, 2017

The SNP have a very worrying attitude to child abuse in general: in their efforts not to upset the catholic vote they've went out of their way to avoid at least one major pedo scandal. The Celtic Football Club - who play heavily on their catholic founding - have had a major pedophile scandal involving hundreds of young players and multiple abusers. They actively covered up the decades of abuse from authorities, and continue to shirk responsibility: think Penn state times ten, and unrepentant.

Mass graves of children on the site of catholic church-run orphanges.

The SNP ordered an enquiry into historical Child Abuse in 2015. An enquiry that excluded - oddly - religious organizations and sporting institutions. Fancy that! The media in Scotland has barely raised a murmur regarding these atrocities, or the SNP's reluctance to deal with them.

So, no, I can't say I'm surprised that one of their leading lights is messing with kids.

Sleepydays

Sep 12, 2017
I used to quite like the Scottish accent.

Nowadays of course Its all gone Pavlovian. A Scottish accent is now automatically translated into a whinging whine that causes the brain to shut down as soon as it’s encountered regardless of the actual words involved.

It’s a shame.

You've just made an enemy for life.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

May 23, 2019
Interesting times across the sea. Varadkar might be gone by tomorrow.
Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

Still, he & Covney will get their rewards for being the convienient usueful idiots for Berlin & Paris in the Brexit talks. A nice cushy €250K a year, unelected beauracrats job in Brussels, awaits both of them.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Fuck em

I don't agree with the yanks at all on this one. Hypocrits.

Apple and Google are just as bad, if not worse than Huawei. Apple have just been fined for purposely slowing down their old phones, which owners paid a premium for when they first launched.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Fuck em

I don't agree with the yanks at all on this one. Hypocrits.

Apple and Google are just as bad, if not worse than Huawei. Apple have just been fined for purposely slowing down their old phones, which owners paid a premium for when they first launched.
How in the hell is slowing performance to mitigate battery degradation in any way comparable to having surveillance/data theft built into the hardware?

Apple should have been transparent about what they were doing, but ultimately it was done to give iPhone owners longer battery life. It was a dumb move in light of how much people talk about "planned obsolescence" despite Apple officially supporting their products for much longer than most other manufacturers in the field.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Pretty sure he accepted it because otherwise it would cost him billions of bucks by delaying the roll out.

Anyway stupid idea to let that company work on your infrastructure even remotely.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
How in the hell is slowing performance to mitigate battery degradation in any way comparable to having surveillance/data theft built into the hardware?

Apple should have been transparent about what they were doing, but ultimately it was done to give iPhone owners longer battery life. It was a dumb move in light of how much people talk about "planned obsolescence" despite Apple officially supporting their products for much longer than most other manufacturers in the field.
Are you saying, that Apple and Google haven't been caught with surveillance and data theft applications built in to their phones and software? That apple FaceID, Thumb print recognition, iris scanning, voice activation, location and personal metadata haven't been used, without direct consent, by third parties unawares to the customer?

Are you saying that Google, Apple and Huawei are nothing alike in terms of data mining?

Reactions: Hayfield

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Gashtronomy Gashtronomy
True, but neither Google no Apple could be suspected in spying on UK government for Chinese government.
Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, all of the American software giants have and do spy on UK Citizens and Governments. It was only a few years back when Angela Merkel found out her phone had been tapped. Not to mention the American controlled media spying on phones, landlines and tracking celebs and VIP's.

Huawei are no worse than Google et al. Infact, I would say they're slightly worse than Huawei because Americans speak English and the Chinese Speak mandarin. At least there's a high chance that my data doesn't translate well to Mandarin.

"am off t' shop, dya wan owt?" Is hard enough to decipher in English and American. It's almost impossible in Mandarin.

Bogey

May 4, 2014
Feels ironic though if that criticism is coming from the very county that hosts the NSA, which invasively tries to spy out every person on the planet in what is the biggest coordinated breach of data privacy known to mankind to this day.
including targeting the heads of state of the very country they're now criticising for these deals.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Are you saying, that Apple and Google haven't been caught with surveillance and data theft applications built in to their phones and software? That apple FaceID, Thumb print recognition, iris scanning, voice activation, location and personal metadata haven't been used, without direct consent, by third parties unawares to the customer?

Are you saying that Google, Apple and Huawei are nothing alike in terms of data mining?
I'm not going to defend Google, but I do actually believe that Apple does not engage with that kind of shit.

Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, all of the American software giants have and do spy on UK Citizens and Governments. It was only a few years back when Angela Merkel found out her phone had been tapped. Not to mention the American controlled media spying on phones, landlines and tracking celebs and VIP's.

Huawei are no worse than Google et al. Infact, I would say they're slightly worse than Huawei because Americans speak English and the Chinese Speak mandarin. At least there's a high chance that my data doesn't translate well to Mandarin.

"am off t' shop, dya wan owt?" Is hard enough to decipher in English and American. It's almost impossible in Mandarin.
I think it would be highly ignorant to assume that language is any kind of barrier to the CCP or Chinese megacorps, especially English.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
Labour scraps male and female loos at party HQ in favour of 'gender neutral' toilets to mark LGBT history month
What in the name of buggery has gender neutral toilets got to do with LGBT history?

I'm pretty certain after all, that gender is considered to be really important and not treated as non existent by at least the L, G and T parts of that group.

It really shows how much the LGBT equality movement has been hijacked to push insane far left, anti science political bollocks in the last few years.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
What in the name of buggery has gender neutral toilets got to do with LGBT history?

I'm pretty certain after all, that gender is considered to be really important and not treated as non existent by at least the L, G and T parts of that group.

It really shows how much the LGBT equality movement has been hijacked to push insane far left, anti science political bollocks in the last few years.
It's like a cult now, especially in Britain. Get on board or you're a “bad person”.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Labour are so far left that I do worry we could end up having a Tory government for the next 15 years. Granted I voted for Boris but we need a robust opposition party to hold the leading to party to account without that the Torys have free reign, whilst Labour are worrying about gender neutral toilets and pronouns usage the Tories could implementing some messed up legislation.

Labour might just be done for if they continue down this route.

On the 5G stuff as others as said I think they’re all just as bad, ofc they are low key data mining information about us it’s just which country do u want to build a virtual profile about you the US or China 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018
Labour are so far left that I do worry we could end up having a Tory government for the next 15 years. Granted I voted for Boris but we need a robust opposition party to hold the leading to party to account without that the Torys have free reign, whilst Labour are worrying about gender neutral toilets and pronouns usage the Tories could implementing some messed up legislation.

Labour might just be done for if they continue down this route.

On the 5G stuff as others as said I think they’re all just as bad, ofc they are low key data mining information about us it’s just which country do u want to build a virtual profile about you the US or China 🤷‍♂️
Labour dies, the new opposition appears, an explicitly anti-immigration party to the right of tories. win win

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Labour scraps male and female loos at party HQ in favour of 'gender neutral' toilets to mark LGBT history month
Oh for the sake of fuck. I'm glad I voted Tory for the first time in my life. My choice keeps getting validated by the insanity of the modern left.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
Oh for the sake of fuck. I'm glad I voted Tory for the first time in my life. My choice keeps getting validated by the insanity of the modern left.
Same. I'd only ever voted Green and Lib Dem before this election.

To say voting Tory stuck in my craw is an understatement, but given all parties have shifted to the left in the last decade, and Boris Johnson actually has a pretty good record on the Environment, is in no way a friend of PC culture and genuinely seems to love Britain, our history, culture and legacy, it was an easy choice to make against the alternatives of the globalist, bigoted, Britain despising, identity politics riddled nut jobs that the LD's, Green and Labour have all deteriorated into.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019

I thought February was black history month? Have LGBT hijacked that as well?

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
According to Wikipedia, February is LGBT History month in the UK.
Ehhhh. I'm pretty sure the last few years we were bombarded with black history month articles, delivered by the Bollox Broadcasting Company, whose name I found even funnier during Black History Month.

BBC presents: Black History Month :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Same. I'd only ever voted Green and Lib Dem before this election.

To say voting Tory stuck in my craw is an understatement, but given all parties have shifted to the left in the last decade, and Boris Johnson actually has a pretty good record on the Environment, is in no way a friend of PC culture and genuinely seems to love Britain, our history, culture and legacy, it was an easy choice to make against the alternatives of the globalist, bigoted, Britain despising, identity politics riddled nut jobs that the LD's, Green and Labour have all deteriorated into.
Big +1 on the bolded. I can honestly say the country needs that - the optimism, the desire to do what's right for a country that's been kicked around pretty damn hard of late. We won't rule the world but we can take our place at the top table, we can use our influence, and we can be proud of who we are. We can get our self respect back.

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
This is going to be fun to watch:

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union has left a huge €75bn (£62bn) hole in the bloc’s budget for the next seven years, 2021 to 2027. “And now we are fighting like ferrets in a sack,” said one EU diplomat with a sigh.
Budget discussions in Brussels are always rancorous affairs. But this one is of a different order: everyone will have to pay more. No one wants to. EU capitals are bristling for a fight when they come to Brussels on Thursday for day one. Ominously for the diplomatic corps, an end date for the summit has not been fixed, but four days of talking are on the cards.

Of course, the EU could try to cut some of the fat (the 300 euros a day personal allowance, the gold-plated pensions, the all-expenses paid trips to foreign countries, maybe close one of the two parliaments etc) in order to lessen the burden on EU taxpayers...

But no seriously, I think the Germans are going end up footing the bill for this.

Last edited:

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States

Nigel Farage has the last laugh. Literally. And this EU bitch at the end ordering them to remove the British flags. A perfect example of what the EU is all about.

I just think it's a shame we don't have him here in the States. I would love to hear him address Congress.

Reactions: hariseldon