• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| British Election mega-thread - 12th December 2019 : Let's try again, again.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Yorkshire Tea's response should now stand as a textbook example of who to handle an angry twitter-mob.

I also missed this craziness:

I hope none of you here voted for the Tories, fucking traitors!
1. Woman in the audience was absolutely mental.
2. Labour really don't get it - they have no inkling that their abandonment of the working class has led them where they are today.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Lawrence Fox is taking a break from Social media.

Notice most the haters have a rose in their tag or bio, the leftist twitter hate mob takes another scalp.

• Triggered
Reactions: hariseldon
Dec 15, 2011
Lawrence Fox is taking a break from Social media.

Notice most the haters have a rose in their tag or bio, the leftist twitter hate mob takes another scalp.
I'm amused and bemused in equal measure.

Caroline Flack gets arrested for assaulting her boyfriend.
Caroline Flack quits from some TV show directly afterwards.
Time passes.
Caroline Flack commits suicide. Tragic.
Media narrative: Let's forget what Caroline Flack did and remember that she is the victim in all of this.
Media silence: Alec Holowka? Who he?
Caroline's Family: Here's a conveniently timed, supposedly unpublished Instagram post from Caroline that says she "always takes responsibility for everything she does". Oh yeah, It also says the assault was an accident.
Social Media hate mob: Poor Caroline. How could this happen? People need to be nicer online. #BeKind

Also Social Media hate mob: Fuck Lawrence Fox. #BeKind. Fuck you. #BeKind. Fuck Alec Holowka. #BeKind.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
I'm amused and bemused in equal measure.

Caroline Flack gets arrested for assaulting her boyfriend.
Caroline Flack quits from some TV show directly afterwards.
Time passes.
Caroline Flack commits suicide. Tragic.
Media narrative: Let's forget what Caroline Flack did and remember that she is the victim in all of this.
Media silence: Alec Holowka? Who he?
Caroline's Family: Here's a conveniently timed, supposedly unpublished Instagram post from Caroline that says she "always takes responsibility for everything she does". Oh yeah, It also says the assault was an accident.
Social Media hate mob: Poor Caroline. How could this happen? People need to be nicer online. #BeKind

Also Social Media hate mob: Fuck Lawrence Fox. #BeKind. Fuck you. #BeKind. Fuck Alec Holowka. #BeKind.
So true!

Twitter is the worst of Social media, so many outrage mobs that preach respect and tolerance than attacking, harassing and doxxing anyone that steps out of line. I'm so glad I deleted my account.

Mistershine.

Jan 20, 2018
"Hi, my name is Jeremy Corbyn. I'm leader of the Labour Party and my pronouns are He / Him. I drink Yorkshire Tea. Salt and Vinegar should be in green bags, Cheese and Onion should be in yellow bags".
There's his problem right there, what kind of simpleton doesn't know that salt & vinegar is blue and cheese & onion is green? Fucking plum.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
So the EU are setting out their stall for trade talks.

1, Fishing - the EU want access to British waters no access no deal.
2, Level playing field - If the UK maintains a level playing field the EU would give UK companies better access to the Single Market but not for Finical Services.
3, State aid - Britain must ask the European commission to intervene with a Company.
4, Environment- Britain must maintain Co2 reduction targets and environmental standards as the EU.
5, Workers Rights - Well the UK was leading the world in workers rights for 20 years prior to the formation of the EU.
6, Police and Security - The EU wants joint cooperation over security and are willing to come to an agreement, well good thank you common sense prevails.
7, ECJ - The EU want the UK to be under ECJ rule. but yet Canada and Japan aren't under the rule of the ECJ so I don't understand this point.
8, Financial Services - This is a no, non, nein as far the EU goes.

So to summarise:

The EU want access to our waters and probably keep the same fishing quotas in place, fucking over our fisherman many of whom voted for Brexit. The EU want to control the UK post-Brexit, tell us what we can and can't do in relation to businesses, environment, rights and laws without having an independent arbitrator as a go between and they won't let the City have access to financial markets inside Europe. So there won't be much talking going on because no way any PM would say yes to all that it would be political suicide if they did. I can see fishing waters in return for financial market access and some alignment but if the EU play hard ball like this than no-deal in December is all but certain.

P.S

Yes I know its the mirror.

Last edited:

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
So the EU are setting out their stall for trade talks.

1, Fishing - the EU want access to British waters no access no deal.
2, Level playing field - If the UK maintains a level playing field the EU would give UK companies better access to the Single Market but not for Finical Services.
3, State aid - Britain must ask the European commission to intervene with a Company.
4, Environment- Britain must maintain Co2 reduction targets and environmental standards as the EU.
5, Workers Rights - Well the UK was leading the world in workers rights for 20 years prior to the formation of the EU.
6, Police and Security - The EU wants joint cooperation over security and are willing to come to an agreement, well good thank you common sense prevails.
7, ECJ - The EU want the UK to be under ECJ rule. but yet Canada and Japan aren't under the rule of the ECJ so I don't understand this point.
8, Financial Services - This is a no, non, nein as far the EU goes.

So to summarise:

The EU want access to our waters and probably keep the same fishing quotas in place, fucking over our fisherman many of whom voted for Brexit. The EU want to control the UK post-Brexit, tell us what we can and can't do in relation to businesses, environment, rights and laws without having an independent arbitrator as a go between and they won't let the City have access to financial markets inside Europe. So there won't be much talking going on because no way any PM would say yes to all that it would be political suicide if they did. I can see fishing waters in return for financial market access and some alignment but if the EU play hard ball like this than no-deal in December is all but certain.

P.S

Yes I know its the mirror.
I like that Boris has been throwing some shade their way:

Does the EU not realise that they can't rely on a remainer parliament and cabinet anymore? I suppose they still have much of the UK media on their side though.

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
The chap/chappess running their Twitter feed has done a fantastic job tbh - proper level-headed goodness. I feel for him/her dealing with the shit that inevitably comes their way for something utterly ludicrous. I have to ask - why aren't we cancelling air given Tories breathe air - indeed air keeps the bastards alive. Let the left boycott air.

EDIT: FFS I should really scroll all the way instead of replying in a new fucking tab.
Yes they are doing a brilliant job, some fantastic responses

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
The EU isn't interested in any deal that would allow the UK to do better outside than in. They talk about an even playing field, but they don't want that either. All it takes is for the UK to show that they're legitimately better off outside the EU for a few more countries to look at the situation and trigger their own referendums.

The EU project means so much more to those running the European Union than any kind of damage caused by a No Deal Brexit. They'll happily see everyone go through immense damage to ensure the future of the 'Federation'

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Tories poo poo the EUs list of demands

Reactions: GamingKaiju

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
I like that Boris has been throwing some shade their way:

Does the EU not realise that they can't rely on a remainer parliament and cabinet anymore? I suppose they still have much of the UK media on their side though.
Good on Boris using the EUs own stance against them. Yep the EU loyalists in Parliament have been given their P45s. All this posturing is only going to make no deal all more likely.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Good on Boris using the EUs own stance against them. Yep the EU loyalists in Parliament have been given their P45s. All this posturing is only going to make no deal all more likely.
EU's stance in that slide wasn't "we want you to take the Canada deal", but "if you keep your red lines all the other deals are off the table". As a matter of fact, EU's stance during the negotiations were rather "are you sure you don't want to concede on some of your red lines ?".
Still, UK won't be able to get access to the free market without giving something in return. That hasn't changed after all those years of negotiations : can't have your cake and eat it.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
EU's stance in that slide wasn't "we want you to take the Canada deal", but "if you keep your red lines all the other deals are off the table". As a matter of fact, EU's stance during the negotiations were rather "are you sure you don't want to concede on some of your red lines ?".
Still, UK won't be able to get access to the free market without giving something in return. That hasn't changed after all those years of negotiations : can't have your cake and eat it.
Fair enough I mis-typed my post but that was the EU's slide that said regarding the red lines only a Canda or Japan FTA could be negotiated. The EU has set its stall out that it want's access to the UK waters for EU fisherman, have the UK under the ECJ and a 'level playing field' for businesses which involve copy and pasting EU law which we have no say in and no independent arbitrator to appeal too whilst simultaneously denying access for the UK's financial sector. The EU is coming across as trying to have their cake and eat it now.

Canda and Japan don't have to follow EU law and allow EU fishing vessels to their waters, so why offer a Canda/Japan FTA but with a load of extra obligations that other Countries DON'T have to follow. The EU are only interested in punishing the UK to scare others from leaving.

Last edited:

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
I can see this whole trans issue raging through the left like a bush fire in the coming years. I kind see them becoming more and more extreme as they try and out-woke each other. Not the kind of issue to win back their northern industrial heartlands, I would imagine.

Here's the mayor of London jumping on the bandwagon:

I wonder if the Labour party could even end up losing their Muslim vote over this?
Jesus man, that's got to be his worst yet. This guy is a nutter. Fucking morally corrupt politician.

Also, since when did this thread turn in to Clown World Part 2?

Last edited:

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
The way Khan has structured that disingenuous tweet makes it look like an unquestionable cult mantra that should be repeated in case a follower forgets to think “correctly”. The goal is to get as many people believing and repeating things that are not true. It's all has a sinister, ideologically driven motive behind it.
Muslims are just using Labour at the moment because it is currently advantageous to their interests. I'm sure a Muslim political party will emerge once the population gets big enough.
He technically got 1 out of 4 correct, lol, "all gender identities are correct", as in there are male and female. But then that doesn't make for a very interesting tweet.

Reactions: Breakage

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Canda and Japan don't have to follow EU law and allow EU fishing vessels to their waters, so why offer a Canda/Japan FTA but with a load of extra obligations that other Countries DON'T have to follow. The EU are only interested in punishing the UK to scare others from leaving.
Nah the EU just really wants to be able to continue fishing in UK waters, and really wants to make sure the UK won't have an unfair advantage by being able to sell products on the EU market with less restrictions than EU members. It's just fair game at this point, "I have something that you want and you have something that I want, let's make a deal". Sure it's not in the benefit of EU to give UK too much, but it's not about "punishing" them either.
And the reason we don't have a fishing agreement with Japan (or do we ?) is probably that their waters are at the other end of the globe, and there's few European fishermen over there. Regarding Canada, I'm pretty sure we do have fishing agreements in place.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Nah the EU just really wants to be able to continue fishing in UK waters, and really wants to make sure the UK won't have an unfair advantage by being able to sell products on the EU market with less restrictions than EU members. It's just fair game at this point, "I have something that you want and you have something that I want, let's make a deal". Sure it's not in the benefit of EU to give UK too much, but it's not about "punishing" them either.
And the reason we don't have a fishing agreement with Japan (or do we ?) is probably that their waters are at the other end of the globe, and there's few European fishermen over there. Regarding Canada, I'm pretty sure we do have fishing agreements in place.
I'm all for a good FTA and relationship post-Brexit. My point was, that the EU wants have to all the control and jurisdiction of the UK post Brexit whilst denying the UK's main economic export which is financial services. As you said it's 'fair game' EU wants to fish in our waters than allow our Financial services in the SM. As far as the Canda/Japan stuff they don't have to follow EU laws to trade with them so why should the UK?

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Excellent stuff on Twitter today, as two recent strains of Brexit Derangement Syndrome manifest themselves in the person of LBC radio host James O'Brien. Today's outburst combines the "nothing you think of as British is actually British you bigot, God I'm so smart" Nish Kumar Children's BBC meme with the "Sue, you're shouting at tea" meme, as Mr O'Brien proceeds to shout at a type of breakfast for not really being British:

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
I use to like James O’Brien before he went full BDS in 2016 now he’s ignorant, shouty knob head. Nish Kumar is another idiot just because tea doesn’t come from England doesn’t mean it can’t be part of British culture, It’s such a dumb position to take.

Facism

Apr 10, 2007
Everyone knows the most patriotic breakfasts sing the national anthem and worship the queen.

Get on that breakfast's level, lads.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
I use to like James O’Brien before he went full BDS in 2016 now he’s ignorant, shouty knob head. Nish Kumar is another idiot just because tea doesn’t come from England doesn’t mean it can’t be part of British culture, It’s such a dumb position to take.
Agreed. Nish is annoying tbh. We borrow things all the time. Curry is a huge part of British culture ffs, as much as fish and chips, because we took in our Indian immigrants and accepted them, and they gifted us the finest food on Earth.

Last edited:

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
Kumar is the kind of "comedian" who gets people genuinely upset and makes a living making fun of them as a result.

I hope his house is in order - I don't see him getting much sympathy if he ends up in the news for all the wrong reasons.

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
Excellent stuff on Twitter today, as two recent strains of Brexit Derangement Syndrome manifest themselves in the person of LBC radio host James O'Brien. Today's outburst combines the "nothing you think of as British is actually British you bigot, God I'm so smart" Nish Kumar Children's BBC meme with the "Sue, you're shouting at tea" meme, as Mr O'Brien proceeds to shout at a type of breakfast for not really being British:

O’Brien should be careful with the “something that doesn’t originate from Britain can’t ever be considered British” logic.

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Agreed. Nish is annoying tbh. We borrow things all the time. Curry is a huge part of British culture ffs, as much as fish and chips, because we took in our Indian immigrants and accepted them, and they gifted us the finest food on Earth.
Exactly. Curry, Kebabs, tea, beer and one could even argue that Islam is part of the British identity now.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Come one. Be serious.

Barnier tries the best he can but he has no actual authority to negotiate anything.
Anything outside of the EU "ultimatums" means he has to go back to his bosses and then re-negotiate with them
as well as getting a new mandate from the 27.
It is not going to happen. And it is not Barniers fault. He is just a bureaucrat doing what his 27 masters tell him to do.\

For any single thing in the EUs ultimatums that come into question, he will have to go back to his masters and negotiate a compromise and it will take months or quarters to do so.
Thinking this will be anywhere ready in the next 10 months is delusional. It will take EU 10 months to even come to a compromise about the fisheries.

The only thing that can make things move forward quickly and get a trade deal before end of year is if German industry and Italy are hurt enough that they will go on a no-prisoners-taken war against the rest of europe and force them to agree with the deal or fuck you we will no longer fund your failed economies.

Last edited:

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
Come one. Be serious.

Barnier tries the best he can but he has no actual authority to negotiate anything.
Anything outside of the EU "ultimatums" means he has to go back to his bosses and then re-negotiate with them
as well as getting a new mandate from the 27.
It is not going to happen. And it is not Barniers fault. He is just a bureaucrat doing what his 27 masters tell him to do.\

For any single thing in the EUs ultimatums that come into question, he will have to go back to his masters and negotiate a compromise and it will take months or quarters to do so.
Thinking this will be anywhere ready in the next 10 months is delusional. It will take EU 10 months to even come to a compromise about the fisheries.

The only thing that can make things move forward quickly and get a trade deal before end of year is if German industry and Italy are hurt enough that they will go on a no-prisoners-taken war against the rest of europe and force them to agree with the deal or fuck you we will no longer fund your failed economies.
Corona would fuck up the Italian economy

Corona virus, the gift that keeps on giving?

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
A classic British rock song for you Gaffers this morning.

Britain rocks.

James O'Brien be like "Ackshually, Freddie Mercury..."

• LOL
Reactions: Kazza

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
All labour voters, supporters and union members have been told to back RLB, as she is the only hope for the party, totally throwing the rest under the bus.

RLB will be the next labour leader. So brave, so stunning.
I voted Starmer. Not great but the options were awful.

Reactions: Gashtronomy