• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Gas Commercial Ripping Off Super Mario Galaxy

Stitch

Gold Member
they watched too much dragonball

6gasyu.jpg

nightez

Banned
kadotsu said:
al_St_Exupery07_Le_Petit_Prince_1_.jpg

Nintendo innovates, others recreate!

The art direction above is different. Its not about the tiny circular planets, thats been done before. Its the general art direction, art style and pallete. Its unmistakable.

WTF
Really wtf OP

Go and cry in a fucking corner.

Mario Galaxy's is clearly inspired by the little Prince (and that is excellent becuase its a great book and it did a magical and excellent game), but nobody goes to Saint-Exupéry's tomb to cry about copy.

You guys, one day you are going to kill tributes and inspirations.

nightez

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
WTF
Really wtf OP

Mario Galaxy's is clearly inspired by the little Prince (and that is excellent becuase its a great book and it did a magical and excellent game), but nobody goes to Saint-Exupéry's tomb to cry about copy.

You are obviously misinformed. Galaxy was inspired by a Gamecube physics & tech demo. That's where the inital idea came from, necessitated purely by inhouse and developed further organically. Its the physics that led to game. Besides the Art style differs vastly from Little Prince - the only thing similar are spherical planes. You cannot compare the two. I'm talking about the art style not the planets.

mario1281bn.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to the you know the direction of art the commercial was using. All of those planets have the same tint, richness, and design as most of the planets in Galaxy and they don't seem like anything out of the Little Prince and much less Rachet and Clank. It was obvious that the commercial was heavily inspired by Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy alone when making it.

But no we have to try to find some flaw in a point that the OP wasn't even referring to.

Gaf Logic at it's finest.

KTallguy

Banned
ITT the OP continues the horrible trend of broadly defining what should be considered their company of choice's intellectual property, and then encourages frivolous lawsuits that waste time and money

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I couldn't possibly care less who ripped off who, but the space scenes in those commercials look like they came directly from SMG, art style and all.

nightez said:
You are obviously misinformed. Galaxy was inspired by a Gamecube physics & tech demo. That's where the inital idea came from, necessitated purely by inhouse and developed further organically. Besides the Art style differs vastly from Little Prince. You cannot compare the two.

mario1281bn.jpg

Yeah right...
Maybe you have to expand your vision to something more than the art style (that can also compare to a degree...)
You know, it doesnt have to be the same to be a tribute or inspiration, theres were the good ones are.
The game was not INSPIRED by the gamecube demo, it was WORKED from that. You dont inspire from your own ideas. Then other people in the team that probably aprecciated Saint-Euxupery's work, and saw similarities about the round little planets that they were doing for the game did little things in the game that were clearly inspired by the book.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I think it's pretty obvious that the OP was referring to the you know the direction of art the commercial was using. All of those planets have the same tint, richness, and design as most of the planets in Galaxy and they don't seem like anything out of the Little Prince and much less Rachet and Clank. It was obvious that the commercial was heavily inspired by Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy alone when making it.

But no we have to try to find some flaw in a point that the OP wasn't even referring to.

Gaf Logic at it's finest.

I dont think it the same as the ingame Mario Galaxy art direction, it looks much more like the little big planet menu mixed with Angela Anaconda.
And even if it had some inspiration of Mario Galaxy it was only an inspiration, not a rip off.
Rip-off of Mario galaxy is that chinese game that someone did a thread about it a month back.

nightez

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yeah right...
Maybe you have to expand your vision to something more than the art style (that can also compare to a degree...)
You know, it doesnt have to be the same to be a tribute or inspiration, theres wer the good ones are.
The game was not INSPIRED by the gamecube demo, it was WORKED from that. You dont inspire from your own ideas. Then other people in the team that probably aprecciated Saint-Euxupery's work, and saw similarities about the round little planets that they were doing for the game did little things in the game that were clearly inspired by the book.
You are making assumptions. Are you privy to info that no one has? Galaxy looks nothing like Saint-Euxupery's work, it looks any other Mario game released since '96.

Michan

I agree with the OP, but lean more towards "inspired"/"tribute" than "ripped off." The little planets look so much like those from Mario Galaxy that you'd be simply a fool to suggest otherwise. Everything from the lit green grass to the windy brown paths, side-lit buildings, and extremely vibrant colours on a dark background clearly imply a throwback to the distinctive art style of the game.

I'm not denying Mario Galaxy wasn't loosely inspired by The Little Prince, but this undeniably heavily influenced by Galaxy. Don't kid yourself; just watch the first video then go back and play Good Egg Galaxy again.

nightez said:
You are making assumptions. Are you privy to info that no one has? Galaxy looks nothing like Saint-Euxupery's work, it looks any other Mario game released since '96.

Are you a privy from the british gas company to say its clearly a rip off? Or are you the only one who can make assumptions here?

Because you dont leave me another, yeah you will say no (beacuse you are in denial mode), but the story book segments are very inspirational of the Little Prince.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZl6OXaZys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkRUTzNWRI

There are even nearly images that are VERY similar in both books (and im not talking about the famous cover one, im talking about the drawings Euxepery draw inside the book), and the story elements are very similar, change Rosalina with the Prince and they are very similar characters (but not copies), also both share themes of searching for something you cannot see.
You can be inspirational without having an exact art syle or even same story, that seems that is what you are trying to look for for retributing my point, and that is were you fail.

watership

SpacePirate Ridley said:
WTF
Really wtf OP

I was going to post this. It understandable though, so many things have been inspired by things that came before. Like when you quote Moby Dick and people go "oh STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan?"

HUELEN10

watership said:
I was going to post this. It understandable though, so many things have been inspired by things that came before. Like when you quote Moby Dick and people go "oh STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan?"
People really do that? Oy...

As for The Little Prince, my aunt is nuts about it. She gave me a copy long ago and, I've tried to read it by myself, but it is hard for me because my french is not that good. I had a copy of the GOOD english version which I loved, but it got stolen on the train by some punk (what kind of punk steals a book like that :lol ). I later found a copy of the new english one and threw it in disgust. THe new translation loses the soul of the original ;_;

I need to learn better french.

Regardless though, maybe having read the book as a child and even as an adult is what really made me love SMG so much. It was all about the story, and a main character you don't even get to play as. Combine that with the best damn platforming in years, and you've got a winner!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Hey nightez want me to write a letter?

im sick and tired of people always copying ninty when it comes 2 games.

1st, it was sony and m$ with they're inferior motion controlers, now its some british ppl with super mario galaxy.

maybe they can sue if we all write enough letters? although i think a pettition is better for this situation.

good looking out nightez

edit:im typing the email rite now. anything u want me to put in it?

watership

watership said:
HUELEN10 said:
People really do that? Oy...

The older things get the more they're taken as 'the source'. Its how things go. :)

HUELEN10 said:
As for The Little Prince, my aunt is nuts about it. She gave me a copy long ago and, I've tried to read it by myself, but it is hard for me because my french is not that good. I had a copy of the GOOD english version which I loved, but it got stolen on the train by some punk (what kind of punk steals a book like that :lol ). I later found a copy of the new english one and threw it in disgust. THe new translation loses the soul of the original ;_;

I need to learn better french.

Regardless though, maybe having read the book as a child and even as an adult is what really made me love SMG so much. It was all about the story, and a main character you don't even get to play as. Combine that with the best damn platforming in years, and you've got a winner!

I'm a huge fan too. When you are inspired by something wonderful, it's not such a bad thing at all.

Top Bottom