• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| British Politics Mega Thread - All things British, minus your spoons

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Absolute madness:

Rebecca Long-Bailey says women's refuges must accept trans women and urges Labour members to 'stop having this debate'

‘There is no conflict between the protection of women and trans rights,’ leadership contender argues

Labour leadership: Long-Bailey backs call to expel 'transphobic' members

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Absolute madness:

Rebecca Long-Bailey says women's refuges must accept trans women and urges Labour members to 'stop having this debate'

‘There is no conflict between the protection of women and trans rights,’ leadership contender argues

Behold, your moral authoritarians.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Absolute madness:

For fuck's sake. I know it's not a surprise anymore but it's really fucking depressing. I really do hope the British public keeps them far away from power.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Absolute madness:

Sounds like the winning candidate right there. Definitely has her finger on the pulse of the British public and what they most care about.

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Absolute madness:

I can see this whole trans issue raging through the left like a bush fire in the coming years. I kind see them becoming more and more extreme as they try and out-woke each other. Not the kind of issue to win back their northern industrial heartlands, I would imagine.

Here's the mayor of London jumping on the bandwagon:

I wonder if the Labour party could even end up losing their Muslim vote over this?

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
I can see this whole trans issue raging through the left like a bush fire in the coming years. I kind see them becoming more and more extreme as they try and out-woke each other. Not the kind of issue to win back their northern industrial heartlands, I would imagine.

I wonder if the Labour party could even end up losing their Muslim vote over this?
The way Khan has structured that disingenuous tweet makes it look like an unquestionable cult mantra that should be repeated in case a follower forgets to think “correctly”. The goal is to get as many people believing and repeating things that are not true. It's all has a sinister, ideologically driven motive behind it.
Muslims are just using Labour at the moment because it is currently advantageous to their interests. I'm sure a Muslim political party will emerge once the population gets big enough.

Reactions: The Scrivener

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States

Oh, Jesus Christ, Sadiq. You're a disgrace to Islam and a disgrace to whatever building you currently occupy. Most Muslims don't believe this rubbish and they only vote for you because you're s muslim too. Otherwise they would laugh at you probably beat you in the street for your blasphemous and anti-scientific drivel.

I hope Trump visits the UK this year and makes fun of you again. How's the crime rate in London these days, Sadiq? Up, up, UP?!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Scrivener

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
Sadiq "Khunt" is really out of touch with reality. He's a fucking mayor, not the prime minister. No rights to make any request for the country.

In fairness to him, London really can't be called the same country as the rest of England anymore.

He basically is the elected leader of a weird little pocket nation that just happens to have grown out of the middle of Britain. Kind of like a parasite or cancer.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Hayfield and Kadayi

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England

X-Fighter

Jan 10, 2020

A new transfer of powers! Give up your sovereignty! The only way out of this crisis is for you to give us more power!!
Well yeah obviously... It's so much less efficient if every country would do everything on their own. My god, can you imagine how weak Europe would stand against the US for a new trade agreement if every country had to create one on their own? If the people in Europe would like to have an influence on global politics they should unite, it just makes sense. The weird thing is that it's mostly the countries with a shittier economy that want sovereignty.

Also he doesn't sound like Hitler at all.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Greenbomb

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
This is the government's new points system:

None of this looks particularly strict to me. Surely English language ability is a given for any highly skilled jobs, so I don't see why that would be at all controversial. Having a job offer from an approved sponsor sounds ok, but the question is how do you get approved? Hopefully the process isn't so onerous and expensive that only massive companies can afford it. The government deciding skill levels sounds fine too.

As for the non-essential requirements, getting 20 points from that sounds easy. The minimum educational level has only been set at A-level (so high school graduates can apply). If the government designates "plumbing" as a "shortage occupation", then the age of the Polish plumber is far from over (if there's any company which praises the skill and work ethic of eastern European plumbers and denigrates British workers, while complaining about having to pay them at least £20,480, then they can go fuck themselves!). Speaking of salary levels, I would personally have bumped them all up by £5k for any job within the M25. It's crazy to me that some employer based in London could potentially employ a STEM PhD from say India and only give them £20,480 a year! That sounds a little exploitative to me.

Diane isn't happy with the plans though:

This "dog whistle" phrase really doesn't mean anything, does it? I mean, imagine actually thinking that requiring a person coming to work in a country to actually be able to speak the language of said country is in any way, shape or form a racist "dog-whistle". He bit about math geniuses made me snigger - I don't think Diane is the best judge of that! :messenger_tears_of_joy: It will be interesting to see how Labour approaches this issue at the next election. If they say they are going to scrap it, they are going to have to replace it with something, and I don't think "open borders" is going to be a popular answer.

Is anyone familiar with Canada's or Australia's systems? How does this proposed UK one compare? Whatever it's merits or drawbacks, the good thing about it is that our immigration system is now directly answerable to the electorate, and they will get a chance to have their say every 4/5 years.

Jezbollah

Jun 14, 2010
It amuses me greatly about people complaining that jobs will be lost due to this immigation policy if it mandates a higher wage. Yet these same people were advocating a higher wage as part of Labour's manifesto. What would happen to the amount of jobs available if they had been elected?

These people just don't think before engaging their brains.

The policy is fine. And adjustable. People dont seem to get that.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England

None of this looks particularly strict to me. Surely English language ability is a given for any highly skilled jobs, so I don't see why that would be at all controversial. Having a job offer from an approved sponsor sounds ok, but the question is how do you get approved? Hopefully the process isn't so onerous and expensive that only massive companies can afford it. The government deciding skill levels sounds fine too.

As for the non-essential requirements, getting 20 points from that sounds easy. The minimum educational level has only been set at A-level (so high school graduates can apply). If the government designates "plumbing" as a "shortage occupation", then the age of the Polish plumber is far from over (if there's any company which praises the skill and work ethic of eastern European plumbers and denigrates British workers, while complaining about having to pay them at least £20,480, then they can go fuck themselves!). Speaking of salary levels, I would personally have bumped them all up by £5k for any job within the M25. It's crazy to me that some employer based in London could potentially employ a STEM PhD from say India and only give them £20,480 a year! That sounds a little exploitative to me.

This "dog whistle" phrase really doesn't mean anything, does it? I mean, imagine actually thinking that requiring a person coming to work in a country to actually be able to speak the language of said country is in any way, shape or form a racist "dog-whistle". He bit about math geniuses made me snigger - I don't think Diane is the best judge of that! :messenger_tears_of_joy: It will be interesting to see how Labour approaches this issue at the next election. If they say they are going to scrap it, they are going to have to replace it with something, and I don't think "open borders" is going to be a popular answer.

Is anyone familiar with Canada's or Australia's systems? How does this proposed UK one compare? Whatever it's merits or drawbacks, the good thing about it is that our immigration system is now directly answerable to the electorate, and they will get a chance to have their say every 4/5 years.
The objection to the notion you should have to speak a countries language to be able to live there has always baffled me.

It's like the ex-pat wankers that retire to Spain, but don't know a word of Spanish, live together in isolated communities so they don't have to interact with Spaniards, and import everything from the UK. It's just flat out rude and shows pure contempt for the people that are so graciously welcoming them into their lands.

If you don't like somewhere enough to fully embrace becoming one of it's people, you shouldn't live there.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007

The PhD rule is weird. Having experience in the field is much more valuable than a PhD, but it won't grant you any point ?
Anyway, considering a PhD or experienced profile should guarantee a salary above 25K, the rule is pointless since you already get the required 70 points.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Well yeah obviously... It's so much less efficient if every country would do everything on their own. My god, can you imagine how weak Europe would stand against the US for a new trade agreement if every country had to create one on their own? If the people in Europe would like to have an influence on global politics they should unite, it just makes sense. The weird thing is that it's mostly the countries with a shittier economy that want sovereignty.

Also he doesn't sound like Hitler at all.
Why not? Countries can make their own trade agreements without a European union. They used to do it and it worked fine. I'm sure Britain will do it and who knows, it might even be a better deal than if they were still in the union.

X-Fighter

Jan 10, 2020
Why not? Countries can make their own trade agreements without a European union. They used to do it and it worked fine. I'm sure Britain will do it and who knows, it might even be a better deal than if they were still in the union.
Because you have less leverage. The smaller you are, the less you have to offer. If you have more leverage in a negotiation you should be able to get a better deal, so in this case if every country would do it themselves they would get a shittier deal. The only reason why the UK might get a better deal now is if Trump wants to show other countries "look you can get a better deal if you leave the EU", just to approach it as a divide and conquer technique. So that if they eventually all get out of the EU, he wouldn't give a fuck, and just dictate his own terms.

MilkyJoe

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2014

What a cunt

Reactions: Boswollocks

Ovek

May 30, 2013

Only ten points for a PHD though... seems harsh.

I wish Diane Abbott would just go away.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
The objection to the notion you should have to speak a countries language to be able to live there has always baffled me.

It's like the ex-pat wankers that retire to Spain, but don't know a word of Spanish, live together in isolated communities so they don't have to interact with Spaniards, and import everything from the UK. It's just flat out rude and shows pure contempt for the people that are so graciously welcoming them into their lands.

If you don't like somewhere enough to fully embrace becoming one of it's people, you shouldn't live there.
Thing is it’s ok to denigrate Brits in Spain but you can’t rip into other groups for the same behaviour because then it would be racist.

Greedings

May 23, 2016

It’s different depending on what country you go to.
I’m an expat living in Germany for now 4 years. I do not speak German. I can get by, but I can’t have a conversation. The reason is that everybody speaks English. Even the girl at the checkout counter in the supermarket speaks English.

it’s also worth pointing out, that it’s SO MUCH easier to learn a language when you are in that country than if you’re going to classes. I tried 3months to learn German in England moved here and I picked up the easy stuff in a couple of weeks. You’re surrounded by the language, you can’t help but learn something.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Labour insanity...

The way these people just calmly lie is disturbing. One of most noticeable features of the modern left is its contempt for reality. The thing is this isn't just some tiny looney party; it's the main opposition party. Many people still voted and will continue to vote for Labour despite this bullshit.

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
The way these people just calmly lie is disturbing. One of most noticeable features of the modern left is its contempt for reality. The thing is this isn't just some tiny looney party; it's the main opposition party. Many people still voted and will continue to vote for Labour despite this bullshit.
Agreed. I think there should be some studies on this phenomenon. Clearly something has gone wrong on the left. As you say, this hatred for reality is, well, it's bizarre.

Reactions: Breakage

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
It has been studied at great length already, just take a peek at cluster B personality disorders. The similarities aren't difficult to spot.
That's not what I meant. I mean, why is it only affecting the left? The move to the far left didn't happen because of Trump. It started under Obama. I remember Obama telling the left that it was going to far and that people needed to calm down. Trump pushed them over the edge, I think that's pretty clear.

But... what happened that made them this way? What was the cause? Why is it only the left that's gone crazy, while the right seems more or less unaffected?

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Labour backs positive discrimination to close racial gap in policing
Shadow minister supports move to speed up ‘glacial’ pace of change within police forces

New research shows the “race gap” in policing has grown in the last two decades and Labour’s policing spokesperson, Louise Haigh MP, said the move was needed to make police forces less white and speed up the “glacial” pace of change.

Last edited:

Birdo

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2019
Mushroom Kingdom
Shadow minister supports move to speed up ‘glacial’ pace of change within police forces

New research shows the “race gap” in policing has grown in the last two decades and Labour’s policing spokesperson, Louise Haigh MP, said the move was needed to make police forces less white and speed up the “glacial” pace of change.

"the Metropolitan police, which covers London – a region with a 43% ethnic minority population"

That percentage is so nuts when you look at the rest of the UK. At the current birth-rate, whites will be a minority in the capital of a predominantly white country.....

How did that even happen? :messenger_dizzy:

Dec 15, 2011

There is no such thing as 'positive discrimination'. There is only 'discrimination'.
If you are for it then you are practising discrimination.
When you are saying laws should be put in place to favour discrimination based around race then you are sanctioning state-sponsored racial discrimination.
You are a racist who wants power to practice racism.

Fuck you.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

May 23, 2019
Labour can come out with this shit because they know they're at least a decade away from power and virtue signalling an ultra woke agenda is an easy way of keeping hold of what little support they do have.

Jezbollah

Jun 14, 2010
The ultra-woke agenda plays nicely into Momentum's back yard. Even though Starmer is miles ahead in polling, expect a Momentum vote fix to see Rebecca Long-Bailey elected as leader. Then they will be out for at least a decade. Maybe longer especially if that thundercunt Richard Burgon gets elected Deputy.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
"the Metropolitan police, which covers London – a region with a 43% ethnic minority population"

That percentage is so nuts when you look at the rest of the UK. At the current birth-rate, whites will be a minority in the capital of a predominantly white country.....

How did that even happen? :messenger_dizzy:
I think it's a combo of mass immigration under the Blair years and white flight. I have noticed how non-white the London borough in which I live has become as I have grown up.
It's kind of unnerving really and I say that as someone who isn't white. There isn't anything charming about London's diversity. Trust feels low because there are so many different groups each with their own cultural values and definitions of what is permissible and not permissible. This can often be the source of many problems. As a result you end up developing a mild sense of paranoia just to get through the day.
The trendy leftwing whites who inhabit these areas often praise the diversity and multiculturalism. But when you really examine their lives, you will see that their love for multiculturalism rarely extends beyond food and that their passion for diversity is very limited in scope. It's all part of the fake, hypocritical performance act these kind of people like to indulge in to make themselves feel good.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
That's not what I meant. I mean, why is it only affecting the left? The move to the far left didn't happen because of Trump. It started under Obama. I remember Obama telling the left that it was going to far and that people needed to calm down. Trump pushed them over the edge, I think that's pretty clear.

But... what happened that made them this way? What was the cause? Why is it only the left that's gone crazy, while the right seems more or less unaffected?
Some of the beliefs on The Left make them vulnerable to these problems i.e. they swallowed the "moral authoritarian" pill and are suffering from the natural outcome of that belief.

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Oh damn, that Yorkshire Tea thing really was another level of insanity. Imagine wanting to boycott a brand of tea just because someone you disagree with politically enjoys drinking it:

First Priti and now Rishi...what does the left have against Indian-Brits, they're really going after them? :pie_thinking:

• LOL
Reactions: MilkyJoe
Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
Oh damn, that Yorkshire Tea thing really was another level of insanity. Imagine wanting to boycott a brand of tea just because someone you disagree with politically enjoys drinking it:

First Priti and now Rishi...what does the left have against Indian-Brits, they're really going after them? :pie_thinking:
I suppose he best start boycotting Oxygen since everyone he disagrees with also breaths the very same throughout the country.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Imagine being such a snowflake that a Tory politician with a picture of tea bags triggers you... Good on Yorkshire Tea for calling out the double standards of the left.

The chap/chappess running their Twitter feed has done a fantastic job tbh - proper level-headed goodness. I feel for him/her dealing with the shit that inevitably comes their way for something utterly ludicrous. I have to ask - why aren't we cancelling air given Tories breathe air - indeed air keeps the bastards alive. Let the left boycott air.

EDIT: FFS I should really scroll all the way instead of replying in a new fucking tab.

Last edited: