• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Briton Jamie Harron faces jail for touching man in Dubai bar

I know they took his passport but cant he escape Dubai on foot?

Saudi Arabia to Egypt then to Libya to Algeria, to Morocco, to Spain to France and then swim back to the UK?

I know it sounds extreme but it beats going to jail there.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Some of the guy's story doesn't make sense:

From DailyMail (I think it's a shit source right, but still):

Mr Harron and friend had just bought their first drink when they noticed a Jordanian man who was looking over at them from the edge of the dance floor in a 'confrontational' manner.

They decided to move to avoid any aggravation, but Mr Harron had to walk past the man, and as he passed, he placed his hand on the right hand side of the top of the man's hip to ensure that when passing they didn't bump and spill drinks 'in a move familiar to most UK patrons of crowded pubs'.

He said there was no intention to upset the man in any way. The man said nothing and didn't show any reaction.

But once Mr Harron and his friend had sat at a new table, they looked over to see the man was now shouting and swinging his arms around, 'clearly agitated'. Mr Harron asked his friend if he thought the man might be shouting at them.

I'm not touching a guy looking at me funny on the hip when I walk past them, and why the fuck are you drinking in Dubai where you know you shouldn't.

Just if the guy was giving them looks, I don't get why you have to walk passed him. I sure as hell wouldn't touch them.. and I've never once touched someone on the hip to not a spill a drink.

Menchi

I know they took his passport but cant he escape Dubai on foot?

Saudi Arabia to Egypt then to Libya to Algeria, to Morocco, to Spain to France and then swim back to the UK?

I know it sounds extreme but it beats going to jail there.

It looks like the UK has an extradition treaty with the UAE, so, you'd probably end up getting sent back, regardless of how ridiculous the charges are.

RM8

It's almost as if Dubai is a barbaric hellhole. I know there's a Dubai defence force on GAF, I'd like to read their views on this case in particular, lol.

jett

D-Member
Some inexplicable shit.

It's definitely for the best to never set foot in that whole country.

Pesmerga00

I'm not touching a guy looking at me funny on the hip when I walk past them, and why the fuck are you drinking in Dubai where you know you shouldn't.

Just if the guy was giving them looks, I don't get why you have to walk passed him. I sure as hell wouldn't touch them.. and I've never once touched someone on the hip to not a spill a drink.

I highly doubt he was massaging the guy's hip. More of a "scoot over bro I don't want to spill". The fact that you could be jailed for that is telling.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

The go to move is the shoulder tap.

Doesn't matter though. Incidental contact in a crowded bar is normal. You shouldn't do time for that. It's not like he grabbed his ass.

I highly doubt Dubai is arresting every foreign tourist who allegedly touches someone's hip. There has to be more to the story. I mean, we are talking about a city where grown men hold hands and kiss each other when they greet.

Nikodemos

I suspect the guy thought Harron was gay, and he considered the hip touch as a proposition.

Which is why it's always a good idea to follow the old adage "keep it above the shoulders". Especially in locales where the rules regarding physical contact and non-verbal communication are quite likely different.

Monocle

No you guys, don't you realize Dubai is totally as civilized and modern as any first world country, despite abundant evidence to the contrary? This is just one of thousands of incidents that don't form a telling pattern at all.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
If any of you guys are currently playing Forza 7 make sure not to touch other cars on the Dubai circuit or yours will be impounded and sent to the crusher.

liquidtmd

Banned
I highly doubt Dubai is arresting every foreign tourist who allegedly touches someone’s hip. There has to be more to the story. I mean, we are talking about a city where grown men hold hands and kiss each other when they greet.

Why?

Shit extreme stories like this about Dubai arrests come up with disturbing frequency.

disco

I will never go to Dubai. The place is full of the dregs of British business people, the whole ecosystem is unsustainable, ugly and bad for the environment, the culture is based around luxury and stupid hospitality, the laws are terrifying - I'd be so scared of accidentally opening Grindr on my phone.

I have friends who grew up there, lots of Scottish pals whose parents who work in the oil industry and they're only there because they don't have to pay any tax. They're doing their due there so they can buy a house in the UK and retire 15 years earlier. Depressing what the world makes you do...

Theonik

I got a solution!
mwNjZho.jpg
We just:
Just do it Jeremy you poof.

Shit extreme stories like this about Dubai arrests come up with disturbing frequency.

I don't understand why that's relevant nor why I should use this to jump to conclusions anytime a one sided story goes to print. You're not reading stories about foreigners frequently going to jail because they're frequently brushing up against people , are you? Such a law isn't even in their judicial system. Unless the implication here is that said frequency of disturbing arrests happen for no reason.

Edit: I will say what is most fucked up about this situation is that none of the local news outlets there are reporting this. Most of my friends there now read about it online through other outlets

I'm a straight male (caucasian, though I don't think it matters in this context) and I have no interest in ever visiting the Middle East due to stuff like this. Just crazy.
#NotAllOfTheMiddleEast

I'm a gay man (caucasian, though I don't think it matters in this context) who lives in Jordan (a country in the Middle East) and I have no interest in visiting UAE due to bullshit like this.

"He was expecting to appear in court this Sunday, but the court moved the date without telling him or his lawyer.
"This led to a sentence of 30 days' imprisonment for failing to present himself at the hearing."

Shit tier country

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Does anyone know if they’re this pedantic with natural residents? Is this something they’re particularly harsh on when it’s western tourists?

Does anyone know if they’re this pedantic with natural residents? Is this something they’re particularly harsh on when it’s western tourists?

Neither. If they were , their entire nightlife scene would have been shut down long ago. Being that this makes up a good chunk of their tourist money, which in of itself makes up for over $60 billion of their gdp, I would say no.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I highly doubt Dubai is arresting every foreign tourist who allegedly touches someone’s hip. There has to be more to the story. I mean, we are talking about a city where grown men hold hands and kiss each other when they greet.
They arrest women for being raped, and have arrested people in the past for holding hands. This isn’t a stretch. Western governments should hire TMZ to photograph every anti-Islamic activity Gulf State leaders/monarchs do when they vacation in the west, and then diplomatically inform these fuckheads they’ll TMZ the shit out of them in their own countries if they arrest their citizens for bullshit reasons.

What’s hilarious is that a lot of Middle Eastern dudes (may father included) would hold hands with their male friends, and they greet each other by kissing each other’s cheeks. An ajnabi touches their hip though to move past them, and that’s the line they won’t cross?

Obviously they don't arrest every foreign tourist who touches someone's hip, because they aren't aware of when it happens. They arrested this specific one because the other patron specifically called the police to complaint.

They arrest women for being raped, and have arrested people in the past for holding hands. This isn't a stretch. Western governments should hire TMZ to photograph every anti-Islamic activity Gulf State leaders/monarchs do when they vacation in the west, and then diplomatically inform these fuckheads they'll TMZ the shit out of them in their own countries if they arrest their citizens for bullshit reasons.

What's hilarious is that a lot of Middle Eastern dudes (may father included) would hold hands with their male friends, and they greet each other by kissing each other's cheeks. An ajnabi touches their hip though to move past them, and that's the line they won't cross?

I made that same observation here earlier , re: your last paragraph. So if it doesn't make sense, why draw a conclusion one way or the other? Yes, while the rest of what you say here is true, I'm not going to evoke slippery slope for each subsequent and unrelated story that surfaces especially if they went to print by one party's attorney. ‘Not a stretch' is not cause for passing something off as fact, not for me anyway. I can agree with you on the rest while hold reservations for this story, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

The implications of a story like this is that any tourist can be arrested for an alleged claim of groping in a city full of people brushing against one another in bars in a city that eats 60 billion in tourist money.

Heshinsi

I made that same observation here earlier , re: your last paragraph. So if it doesn’t make sense, why draw a conclusion one way or the other? Yes, while the rest of what you say here is true, I’m not going to evoke slippery slope for each subsequent and unrelated story that surfaces especially if they went to print by one party’s attorney. ‘Not a stretch’ is not cause for passing something off as fact, not for me anyway. I can agree with you on the rest while hold reservations for this story, the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

The implications of a story like this is that any tourist can be arrested for an alleged claim of groping in a city full of people brushing against one another in bars in a city that eats 60 billion in tourist money.

Because this is a country where recording an Emirati beating a non citizen in a fit of road rage, can result in charges laid against you for violating the privacy of said Emirati.

https://www.google.ca/amp/m.gulfnew...-road-rage-assault-of-indian-driver-1.1214265

Luckily for the guy who took the video (a non citizen as well), the family of the abuser dropped the charges while they also successfully managed to get the victim of the abuse to drop his case against them. If an Emirati makes a claim against a foreigner, that foreigner in many circumstances are truly screwed.

Heshinsi

He wasn’t? Any chances of that man being from another Gulf State (there is a hierarchy and fellow Gulf State memebers are right under citizens)? I can’t imagine a court laying charges on a British citizen over the claims of another non citizen, unless that individual was a fellow Gulfer or a muslim from another Arab state (still might not be enough then).

Top Bottom