• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 2.5 released (FREE ADVENTURE GAME!!!)

senahorse

Holy crap I am in adventure gaming nirvana, got psychonauts coming down from steam and this is the perfect game to play while I am waiting, thanks kindly

StuBurns

Banned
I actually liked 1 and 2, I see they're reusing a lot of assets. Do they have the same voice actors? That would be cool.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't play 2 but I'll give this a shot. I've been inkling for some old school adventure fun (even though the original, official, Broken Sword is the most over rated title in the genre by a wide margin).

StuBurns

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Why should I care about this game? Serious question, I've been wanting to get into adventure games.
It's the knights of the templar, it's all very Assassin's Creed storywise.
Not sure if you need to have played the first two to understand this game, probably not.

senahorse

Is this german voices only?

Edit: only German voices for now, I am going to hold off for the English version

As it was already said several times, we WILL release an english version WITH english voices. You'll just need to wait a little bit more than german fans. However, the voices are already being recorded.

Ogni-XR21

x3n05 said:
Is this german voices only?

Edit: only German voices for now, I am going to hold off for the English version

I haven't been able to download the game myself yet, but afaik English subtitles are included.

Tr4nce

Finally. This is one of those fan made adventure game I had my eye on. But I'll wait for the English version though.

senahorse

You're right, there are english subtitles, but considering I have so much to play atm I am content with holding off a bit.

Larsen B

So amazed/glad this got made.

I see on IMDB that they've got the original German voice actor for George, so it would be amazing if Rolf Saxon did the English voice. George without Rolf Saxon's voice ain't George.

senahorse

Larsen B said:
So amazed/glad this got made.

I see on IMDB that they've got the original German voice actor for George, so it would be amazing if Rolf Saxon did the English voice. George without Rolf Saxon's voice ain't George.

Originally he was going to, but pulled out for various reasons.

senahorse

Ogni-XR21 said:
Please elaborate!

From the official forums:

Well, firstly, about Rolf Saxon. He was really motivated to voice our game, but after thinking for a while, he stated a couple of reasonable arguments, why he won't do it. The main argument is that if he voices our game, it will be even more similar to the originals. According to him, this could not only be wrong for the Revolutions, but for us, as well. Why? Probably because many people would think that the game was made by the original creators and we, as a team, would fade into darkness ;) You can disagree, but I suppose this is quite true. What's more, some guy/actor will have a good opportunity to be noticed :)

Ogni-XR21

... Why? Probably because many people would think that the game was made by the original creators and we, as a team, would fade into darkness ;) You can disagree, but I suppose this is quite true. What's more, some guy/actor will have a good opportunity to be noticed :)

The team will still fade into darkness, only a small percentage players will probably check the website or care about too many details in making the game. The only thing that I see coming from this is that fans will complain about the wrong voice in the game. And believe me, people love to complain about games they get for free just as much as complaining about games they buy or read about on a message board...

Larsen B

Ogni-XR21 said:
The team will still fade into darkness, only a small percentage players will probably check the website or care about too many details in making the game. The only thing that I see coming from this is that fans will complain about the wrong voice in the game. And believe me, people love to complain about games they get for free just as much as complaining about games they buy or read about on a message board...

Sure it's looking a gift horse in the mouth but when you're used to a brown gift horse, a grey gift horse isn't quite what you're used to and can end up spoiling the gift horse experience.

Timber

The game crashes as soon as it gets to the main menu :(. I checked the forums at their site and it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I hope they fix it soon...

soultron

Banned
Timber said:
The game crashes as soon as it gets to the main menu :(. I checked the forums at their site and it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I hope they fix it soon...
Also had this problem.

Ogni-XR21

Man I'm still stuck here at work and will still have to download it before I can give it a try. I can't wait to start comparing the in-game anmiations with my own work... :D

soultron

Banned
Ogni-XR21 said:
Man I'm still stuck here at work and will still have to download it before I can give it a try. I can't wait to start comparing the in-game anmiations with my own work... :D
Wait. You worked on this? Or the original?

Rufus

Heh. I downloaded it yesterday (there's a torrent) and played up to Portugal already. :lol
I like it so far. There's a bunch of things I could mention that stick out rather obviously, but I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade right now. It's amazing that this even exists, so I'm just going to have fun with it.

Ogni-XR21

Finally beat the game, a bit short but that was expected, after all it was only a 700 MB download. The puzzles were quite obvious most of the time and sometimes a bit too few per screen. I guess if there was no option to show the hotspots with the space bar it would have taken me a bit longer to beat the game.
The story was ok, but lost it's drive towards the end. But it's a fan-game, so who am I to complain. I had 4 hours of good old fashioned point and click fun for free, so props to the developers!

Rufus

Ogni-XR21 said:
Finally beat the game, a bit short but that was expected, after all it was only a 700 MB download. The puzzles were quite obvious most of the time and sometimes a bit too few per screen. I guess if there was no option to show the hotspots with the space bar it would have taken me a bit longer to beat the game.
The story was ok, but lost it's drive towards the end. But it's a fan-game, so who am I to complain. I had 4 hours of good old fashioned point and click fun for free, so props to the developers!
I agree. Though I didn't even know about the highlighting funtion. :lol Took me about 4 to 5 hours to finish it as well.
It's flawed in every aspect, but eh, I don't want to seriously criticize it either. It's fine for what it is and I'm still amazes that they got Schottky (George's german voice actor) on board.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Apenheul said:
I played the original Broken Sword on the Gameboy Advance and had a great time, I'll have to try this.
you should really try and replay the CD version, the voices and animations are what really make it great.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
played the first one - downloading this now... (good that i speak german )

edit:
wait a minute - this is broken sword 2 just with....?

edit2: nevermind

Ledsen

sankt-Antonio said:
played the first one - downloading this now... (good that i speak german )

edit:
wait a minute - this is broken sword 2 just with....?

edit2: nevermind

This is an unofficial sequel to Broken Sword 2.

sullytao

Is this really a fan made project? If so then I have to say that I am speechless at the quality of it. The team is clearly a talented and devoted group of people.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
this turned out pretty great - even the voices are really good!

make shure you download (when englisch voices are done) this -

Juice

Heh, it'll be weird to go back after having played the later ones. Not exactly high art as a series, but usually pretty entertaining.

Timber

I just completed this game on a different 'pooter and I very much enjoyed it. When it comes to free, fan-made games, this is as good and 'professional' as it gets. The backgrounds are gorgeously detailed, the music is very high quality, the voice acting is good and the 3D cutscenes aren't bad either.

The story and writing are classic Broken Sword; great adventure/mystery/conspiracy stuff. Much respect to Daniel Butterworth for remaining true to the series' humour, for 'getting' all the characters, and for concocting a story that would fit perfectly in a 'real' Broken Sword game. I especially liked the ever-hilarious conversations between George and Andre.
This is an absolute must play for fans of the series. There is so much in here to recognise and appreciate. A lot of the locations in Paris are from the first game(s), and there are lots of references to past events, much like in Revolution's own games. One particularly nice touch was George and Nico's animosity towards crates :D. Anyone who's played BS3 will instantly relate.

The puzzles are not very obscure, which has always been a high point of the series, and there's hardly any feelings of being totally lost. The ending did feel a bit rushed and unexpected, but overall it has a good length for a free adventure game (took me about 3/4 hours).

Muchos kudos to everyone who's worked on this. Best free game I have played in a long, long time. Of course fans of Broken Sword will appreciate it more, but it's a very solid adventure in itself with amazing production values for a free game.
Highly recommend it to anyone who's into point & click.

Top Bottom