• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Ending With 10-Episode Eighth Season

ManaByte

Gold Member

Here's some not so noice news: Brooklyn Nine-Nine is coming to an end.

The beloved cop comedy starring Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher will wrap with its previously announced eighth season. The final season will consist of 10 episodes — its lowest order ever. What's more, the series from creators Dan Goor and Mike Schur (Parks and Recreation) will not air during the 2020-21 broadcast season. The Universal Television entry will return at a date to be determined during the 2021-22 broadcast season.

Sources say NBC opted to delay Brooklyn's return in order to give the beloved and award-winning comedy a proper sendoff. NBC has already set its "midseason" slate as part of a crowded broadcast calendar in April and has, pandemic challenges notwithstanding, the Olympics in the summer. Rather than bury it in August, NBC will use the Olympics to market the final season and give the show a big promotional push for an expected 2021-22 premiere.

At the same time, Brooklyn is facing a significant challenge in the wake of George Floyd's death. "The writers are all rethinking how we’re going to move forward," Samberg, who also exec produces the series, told People in July. [Everyone is] discussing how you make a comedy show about police right now, and if we can find a way of doing that that we all feel morally OK about? I know that we’ll figure it out, but it’s definitely a challenge."

throws laptop GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I guess I should just be glad it's getting closure between the riots and how this was already a bubble show that NBC picked up from Fox.

trikster40

Man, this is one of the funniest shows out there. One of the absolute few that I watch live and not DVRed or streaming.

If you haven’t watched this yet, you have to. It’s awesome.

How am I gonna fill the hole it leaves behind? (Title of your sex tape)

Fbh

Not surprising given the whole "all cops are bad and any show that doesn't depict them as such is problematic" angle that has become popular in recent times.

Not much lost though, the last couple of seasons were pretty bad already. I expect the final season to be the worst one yet, with a "cops are bad" tone.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
First 4 seasons are straight up comedy gold. The show had diminished in quality including some really weird episodes for this kind of show like the one where the badass biker comes out as bi.

Even with all that, it fucking sucks it's ending because apparently you can't make shows where cops are the good guys anymore. I fooking hate the industry sometimes.

Reactions: Fbh

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think what gets me about this is that we're going to clutch pearls about a police comedy with generally low ratings but NBC doesn't have the balls to kill something with actual high ratings like Law and Order or Chicago PD.

xrnzaaas

Wasn't the show trying to become woke with the hate towards police enforcement? Anyway I already lost interest in it a while ago when I realized I dislike most of the cast and watched it only for a few characters.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lmao we all knew this was impossible now, might as well just mercy kill it with one shitty short final season spent saying "man, maybe cops aren't always the good guys, huh?"

Their target audience are the same people who just spent the last year screaming about all cops being bastards. We already knew they threw the existing script out. This is going to be so bad. Who's willing to bet they have a cop kill a guy in the first episode and that's the central plot of the season?

Lmao we all knew this was impossible now, might as well just mercy kill it with one shitty short final season spent saying "man, maybe cops aren't always the good guys, huh?"

Their target audience are the same people who just spent the last year screaming about all cops being bastards. We already knew they threw the existing script out. This is going to be so bad. Who's willing to bet they have a cop kill a guy in the first episode and that's the central plot of the season?

I thought this already happened? Could have sworn it was announced in July or August that they would be focusing on Blue Man Bad because police aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I thought this already happened? Could have sworn it was announced in July or August that they would be focusing on Blue Man Bad because police aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

No idea, the only thing I remember is them saying they were throwing out the existing script shortly after Floyd. Didn't even bother up checking after that, we all knew it was heading in this direction.

To be honest, the show isn't as good as people say anyway, I remember S2 being the peak. It was still good for something super easy to watch with dinner, though.

sackings

stopped watching when they made the one cop bi for no reason. hilarious show though, ill finish the rest at some point

sobaka770

Banned
This show was great and I'm sad to see it go but I do feel consciously that it's the right call. 10 episodes is good enough. The characters are all played out and when people start to get married and get kids - it's a sign that it should've ended a season or two ago.
I am a bit worried that they will go cops-are-bad route for no good reason and ruin the ending. Keep it lighthearted and fun, we already have HIMYM to show how not to do a proper ending.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think what gets me about this is that we're going to clutch pearls about a police comedy with generally low ratings but NBC doesn't have the balls to kill something with actual high ratings like Law and Order or Chicago PD.

Law & Order SVU has "cover" because of the crimes it covers tho...

Fbh

Probably.
My bet is something bad happens, through the season the characters learn that it isn't just some bad apples but rather the entire police force that is bad, Jake tries to fix things from within but ends up getting fired by higher ups who ww learn are all bad. And the show ends with him becoming a private detective or something so he can do what he loves with a "clear conscience"

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
B99 has always been one of the shows that did race, sexuality, and other things well. It's not a primary characteristic of anyone, it's just an attribute you may or may not know until it's relevant to the story in some way.

They didn't make Rosa bi for no reason, her character was that she was closed off and even her close friends didn't know much about her. As she opened up the tough exterior softens and she starts to get more stories about her life. If you missed that and saw it as just woke points then you're looking for reasons to dislike shows and that's a shame.

B99 has already done stories about Holt being laughed at for being a gay black cop when he was younger, they'd actually be covering old ground to do that again. They have even covered public relations in a small way, but that could tie into public perception making their jobs harder and telling the other side of it. 99 is fictional and they'd be better served carrying on as normal to a point. Fuck Twitter.

I can see them doing an episode around Jake tackling a gun-wielding perp, then Jake thinking he's done a good job but a clip missing out something important goes viral.

Alx

I haven't watched Season 7 yet, but I guess 8 seasons is a good run.
They didn't make Rosa bi for no reason, her character was that she was closed off and even her close friends didn't know much about her. As she opened up the tough exterior softens and she starts to get more stories about her life. If you missed that and saw it as just woke points then you're looking for reasons to dislike shows and that's a shame.
Yeah, Rosa being a different person in her private life is actually a running joke from the beginning of the show. Despite her "badass biker" looks, she also reveals her childhood in catholic schools for girls, training in classical dancing or gymnastics, appreciation for Nancy Meyers movies, and her landlord describes her as "always smiling and a bit chatty". Her being bi is just another bullet point to the list.

AV

And the show ends with him becoming a private detective or something so he can do what he loves with a "clear conscience"

Nailed it. Or a family PD agency with the two of them, or something.

The writers also have to immediately do something about the two old (mostly) useless cops who get paid to sit around and eat donuts, you can't make light hearted remakes about that kind of thing now. They'll probably either just retire in episode one, or they'll be suddenly deeply upset with what they're seeing inside the force, actually do work for 9 episodes then retire at the end.

AV

Fuck Twitter. I can see them doing an episode around Jake tackling a gun-wielding perp, then Jake thinking he's done a good job but a clip missing out something important goes viral.

Far too naïve an outlook. B99 plays directly to the Twitter audience, Twitter hashtags were what brought the show back. There is no chance this show tries to take the "maybe you guys didn't see this important detail of a cop doing his job properly" road considering the season was completely rewritten immediately after George Floyd. It'll probably be that asshole cop played by Liz Lemon's ex-husband who does something seriously bad since he's the only "bad" cop on the show IIRC.

The quality started to drop as it became increasingly woke, instead of taking the piss out of PC culture just as often as bigotry like it did at the start.

Honestly I expect this last series to be shite. The audience are going to overwhelmingly be on the side of cops for God's sake, it's a police based comedy. None of those far left psychos were watching it in the first place.

Pivoting the writing to be pro rioters, bigots and criminals is just going to drive viewers away in droves.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Far too naïve an outlook. B99 plays directly to the Twitter audience, Twitter hashtags were what brought the show back. There is no chance this show tries to take the "maybe you guys didn't see this important detail of a cop doing his job properly" road considering the season was completely rewritten immediately after George Floyd. It'll probably be that asshole cop played by Liz Lemon's ex-husband who does something seriously bad since he's the only "bad" cop on the show IIRC.
Only time will tell, but I've enjoyed everything so far so I'm hopeful it will still be B99 instead of an empty conduit fot a message.

Last edited:
Top Bottom