• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine S5 |OT| The Return Of Velvet Thunder - Tuesdays on Fox

SeanC

Great first two eps, I like they're putting in just a little bit of serialization from episode to episode, a nice little wrinkle that the show needed. It's hard to know if they'll continue that but they've ended on cliffhangers in a way.

never heard of it before today.... what kind of humor is it? To what other serie it can be compared?

there's lots of humor i really don't like in american show, but there's still some good one hidden in there!

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 5: episode 3 "Kicks"

Now that he's officially back at the precinct and desperate to solve a real case, Jake finds a loophole to get out of his temporarily designated desk duty. Unfortunately, that loophole rests on his ability to pass an official evaluation performed by Holt. While Charles provides Jake with moral support, Terry and Amy help Rosa, who believes Pimento may be cheating on her.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Pixieking

Banned
never heard of it before today.... what kind of humor is it? To what other serie it can be compared?

there's lots of humor i really don't like in american show, but there's still some good one hidden in there!

It's hard to describe. If you're familiar with Spaced, then that's probably the best series to compare it to, off the top of my head. It's got the same mix of random silliness, word-play and serious character moments.

It's definitely worth a try, but if you're starting from Season 1 (advised, due to character and relationship growth) then I'd say it doesn't hit its stride until episode 4, so bear that in mind.

barik

I'd say it's pretty close to Parks and Recreation (it has some of the same people behind it too), but slightly less feel-good and more absurd.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 5: episode 4 "HalloVeen"

The Nine-Nine embarks on its fifth annual Halloween Heist and, as usual, everybody has a plan and no one is safe. Relationships and friendships are tested as the title "Amazing Human Slash Genius" must be snagged by midnight, leaving everyone pitted against each other.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Fuchsdh

Nooo why'd they ditch Pimento! He was such a fun guest
Eh, he was always a “this person doesn’t exist in the same reality” character compared to the rest of the show. I think they got what they could out of him.

I appreciated that with these last two seasons they’re willing to be serious long enough for some of these beats to land, especially in regards to the problems with policing.

They really are championship cummerbunds.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

TripOpt55

I keep thinking these Halloween Heist episodes might lose their luster eventually but this was another good one. Lots of funny bits and I enjoyed the proposal twist.

Yeah, it's crazy how the show is able to nail the Halloween episodes each year. Consistently one of the best episodes of the season. So many funny moments with the return of fake Boyle, Terry's loves of yogurt backfiring, fake Cheddar, and the surprise twist with Jake and Amy at the end.

Jigorath

Banned
I really liked that episode. I'm going to be disappointed when the show gets cancelled this season, but 5 seasons is a respectable run.

Nah but the ratings are awful.

Seems inevitable.

Yeah, there's still a lot of the season to air and it's already at a 0.6. I can only imagine where it will be by the spring. The only broadcast show that rated lower than it on all of Tuesday primetime was Legends of Tomorrow.

SSPssp

Yeah, they're at 1.5 million avg I think, pretty sad if this is it. :(
I hope we get to see the wedding!

barik

I really liked that episode. I'm going to be disappointed when the show gets cancelled this season, but 5 seasons is a respectable run.

I still like the show but I wouldn't be sad or surprised if this is the last season, I do think it's run its course for the most part. Which is fine, not every show needs to run for 9 seasons.

I feel like the show could do with a bit of a cast shakeup kinda like P&R Season 3.

This could also work, that's what I thought they were doing when they brought in Ken Marino (and Mantzoukas to a lesser extent) but they didn't change the core dynamic in the long run.

I love how out of character, but completely in character it is for Holt to say, "You're just some common bitch," or "This bitch? Please!"

vypek

If it is the last season, I hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger because they want one more season but don't get it.

JesseZao

Nah but the ratings are awful.

Seems inevitable.

Yeah, there's still a lot of the season to air and it's already at a 0.6. I can only imagine where it will be by the spring. The only broadcast show that rated lower than it on all of Tuesday primetime was Legends of Tomorrow.

Yeah, they're at 1.5 million avg I think, pretty sad if this is it. :(
I hope we get to see the wedding!

Do ratings include streaming? I only watch this on Hulu.

They know how low the ratings are. Writing is on the wall at this point.

My prediction is that they're doing the proposal wedding storyline to start closing off character's stories because this season is it. It's a good spot to end Jake and Amy's story, and having the final heist in the show have no winner was a solid way to end it. That way we're not left wanting revenge in a future season that will not come.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Seems outdated and demographically biased then.

When you factor in DVR and whatnot, it's typically a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting a little less poor. Like, Empire is Fox's #1 scripted show in live ratings and also their #1 in L+3, L+7, etc. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of their lower rated shows in live ratings and also one of their lower rated shows in L+3, L+7, etc.

manfestival

just got a year of hulu for free. heard good things about this show. how funny is this show? trying to figure out how to spend my little free time here

Top Bottom