• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brownie Brown rename and restructure

Interesting. Brownie Brown gets some heat but after Mother 3 and Fantasy Life, they've become a nice little studio. If this is an expansion/capitalization based on that, good for them.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like it. Want to see a lot more from them in the future. Now that Nintendo is working closer with other developers, they should let 1-UP make a full-fledged Mother game on Wii U or 3DS

I really want Fantasy Life in english too :)

Mael

Sad to see their incredible spriteworks go to waste I hope we'll see more of their works...
Glad to know I did my part to nearly all of their projects.
They're awesome.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
PokéKong;47164806 said:
Are they still working with Level-5 on Fantasy Life or not since it went 3D?

Nah. Fantasy Life came out a just couple of weeks ago so it's safe to say they're pretty much done with that.

Goldmund

It makes sense. After all, it's every studio other than Brownie Brown that makes brownie brown games, nowadays.

they also worked on mother 3. neither of them have seen an american release so all i have to go off are their mana games and magical starsign.
What about Professor Layton's London Life from The Last Specter? That was by Brownie Brown. Anywho, Brownie Brown was a cooler name. 1-Up sounds so generic.

Empty

i liked brownie brown as it's a lots more unique than an obvious mario reference.

as a developer i love their visual style - mother 3, sword of mana, london life and to a lesser extent a kappa's trail are all beautiful - but mother 3 is the only game of theirs i really enjoy and that's itoi mostly anyway. would love to get the chance to try fantasy life after hearing about it on 8-4 play though i liked the look of it more when it was in 2d.

Muku

Brownie Brown always made me think of brownies that were brown.

This. And every time I hear the name, I get hungry. Now I want some brownies, ugh!

To be honest, always thought it was a bad name overall.

The only game of theirs I played was A Kappa's Trail. It was good but it could have been much better if they let you control the camera with the d-pad.

I remember everyone raving about Magical Vacation on the GameFAQs boards.

ozfunghi

Always liked the name. It's cutesy humerous which stands out among testosterone driven studio names. It also rolls easily off the tongue, with a childishly obvious alliteration.

ZimbAdam

they also worked on mother 3. neither of them have seen an american release so all i have to go off are their mana games and magical starsign.

Do yourself a favour and play the translated version of Mother 3. It's perhaps the best game on the Game Boy Advance and definitely one of the best RPGs ever made.

AntMurda

Brownie Brown had two texture artist working inside EAD Tokyo for Super Mario 3D Land. It wasn't a huge role exactly. Check the credits.

http://www.br2.co.jp/

2011年からは「スーパーマリオ3Dランド」等の制作において、任天堂株式会社と協働してまいりましたが、
今般、この協働制作に、より注力できるような社内体制に変更することを決定いたしました。

この体制変更に伴い、社名を「1‐UPスタジオ株式会社」に変更して、再スタートいたします。

From 2011 we came to work in cooperation with Nintendo Co. Ltd. on various projects, including Super Mario 3D Land.

It has been decided that in order to focus more of our attention on these cooperative titles from now on we will become a part of the Nintendo corporate structure.

In accordance with this change, our company's name will be changed to '1-UP Studios Co. Ltd.' as we restart our business.

DaBoss

From 2011 we came to work in cooperation with Nintendo Co. Ltd. on various projects, including Super Mario 3D Land.

It has been decided that in order to focus more of our attention on these cooperative titles from now on we will become a part of the Nintendo corporate structure.

In accordance with this change, our company's name will be changed to '1-UP Studios Co. Ltd.' as we restart our business.
I wonder if they're helping with Wii U 3D Mario and if they're helping with other games.

Mael

So...they'll be giving 1ups to other games then?
That's a shame, their wallpapers are still used on every computers I use.

antonz

Brownie Brown was in Tokyo right? Probably part of the restructure is moving under the roof in Kyoto etc

BowieZ

Banned
yeah i get that impression, they're moving to do more grunt work like with 3d land.

rip brownie brown :(
Well if this gets SM3DWorld and Super Mario Universe out quicker, and Nintendo hires a new complementary developer as a replacement, I will be pleased.

Top Bottom