• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal death scenes in old games *NSFW*

Haganeren

OWqR75c.gif

It seems tame compared to the other stuff in the thread... But Prince of Persia was my first game, i was 6 years old and i always called my mother to just pass those trap because the death animation terrified me.

Ramune

Ha, I remember bringing my two disc floppy set of this to school in the 7th grade. Ironically during the whole "Mortal Kombat is the devil" period. Not only did my classmates and I have a blast, but the same teacher who proclaimed Mortal Lombard to be an evil game was wondering if I could make copies of it. 😅

Darkwater

Fallout 1. Blew me away as a kid.

r6BSwpJ.gif

tumblr_inline_ohz7ks1lmd1sgvwnx_250.gif

VCVYEVA.gif

Couldn't find one of the burst fire death animations easily, nor a good one of Gizmo kicking the bucket.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Creatures for the Commodore 64 seems like just another cute platform game, until you encounter stuff like this:

giphy.gif
Lol that was a shock for me when I played it. What an awesome game, and an even better sequel. I was going to post about it, was surprised that someone was quicker - the game doesn't seem to have many fans here.

Ha, I remember bringing my two disc floppy set of this to school in the 7th grade. Ironically during the whole "Mortal Kombat is the devil" period. Not only did my classmates and I have a blast, but the same teacher who proclaimed Mortal Lombard to be an evil game was wondering if I could make copies of it. 😅

Mortal Lombard
😅

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.

Story time. My dad bought this on clearance at Office Depot over 20-years ago. He played it, I watched. He got to this part, saw the blood, looked at me and said: "well, this is going back to the store."

mikeebi3

It seems tame compared to the other stuff in the thread... But Prince of Persia was my first game, i was 6 years old and i always called my mother to just pass those trap because the death animation terrified me.
haha same, was pretty young and the fear of death was REAL because of those

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Project Firestart (C64)

8647976361.jpg

It was the first game where I've seen the scribble on the wall made in blood to be used as a visual narrative device. Generally, the environment telling the story was not really a thing then, so something simple like that seemed like a breakthrough of sorts.

firestart-04.png
ProjectFirestartPicsAni.gif

As the GIF cycles, you can see some more scenes of death - but as far as I remember, you don't see the deaths happening - you only see an aftermath.

I have no know-how, so if anyone could make a gif out of this amazing beheading scene from Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (just the beheading and the head rolling off, 0:20-0:24), I'd be very, very grateful ^_^

(spoilers obv.)

https://youtu.be/6fD8eNhv7M4?t=19

I don't care how dated the CG is: that remains my favourite video game cut scene of all time. It's completely unapologetic, no fade to black/cut to a shadow/any kind of self-censorship, yet without any stupid tacky edginess. And holy shit it's satisfying, that piece of shit really deserved it. :) Oh and it has my favourite track from the game too, Awakening to the World

Z4kO22.gif

Tunahead

The gross and bafflingly disjointed 1998 point-and-click adventure Hopkins FBI had quite a lot of gore in it. I don't dare post any of it here, but by all means use the dark powers of Google to see for yourselves the serious issues one of the artists working on the game obviously had with women.

Because it's all just dead women. Holy shit, are there ever a lot of dead women. If I had a map of the locations of Hopkins FBI, it would just say "here be dead women", because in Hopkins FBI it's always dead lady o'clock.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm surprised Resident Evil 4 hasn't really been posted yet. It is 12 years old now.
I would say that's a game that's not restricted by either the technology or the time in which it was released. While it is kind of old, by the time it came out you could put just about anything in games, so the gore like that wasn't very surprising. 2D sprites depicting realistic gore was not something common, or really even something the visual techniques of that time were tuned for.

Alric

Myth The Fallen Lords and Myth 2 Soulblighter had amazing gore/gibs. Body parts would fly through the air from explosion, hit other units and do tiny bits of damage. Body parts could be picked up by Ghols and thrown, like the Wights puss body parts to stun people and blood flowed downhill.

n8r2MZs.gif

3-crowsbridge_small.gif

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Myth The Fallen Lords and Myth 2 Soulblighter had amazing gore/gibs. Body parts would fly through the air from explosion, hit other units and do tiny bits of damage. Body parts could be picked up by Ghols and thrown, like the Wights puss body parts to stun people and blood flowed downhill.

n8r2MZs.gif

3-crowsbridge_small.gif

catch!

retroman

Lol that was a shock for me when I played it. What an awesome game, and an even better sequel. I was going to post about it, was surprised that someone was quicker - the game doesn't seem to have many fans here.
Yeah, I feel the Commodore 64 as a whole is kinda underrepresented here on GAF. I think the main reason is because most members either hail from the USA (where 8-bit home computers like the C64, Speccy and CPC were far less popular than in Europe) or are too young to have experienced the 8-bit home computer craze. It's up to us old people to keep the 8-bit spirit alive here! :)

Time for some more gory C64 screenshots!

Dracula
dracula_25.gif

dracula_28.gif

Jack The Ripper
jack_the_ripper_13.gif

jack_the_ripper_08.gif

Wolfman
wolfman_03.gif

wolfman_09.gif

Frankenstein
frankenstein_05.gif

frankenstein_10.gif

Squarehard

hqdefault.jpg

I mean, everything in this game basically gave me nightmares, but I always get creeped out when characters die during battles, and their corpse just sits there in such a disturbing pose.

Seriously, this game creeped me the hell out as a child, lol.

Justinh

Came into the thread looking for this.

Did not disappoint.

myman.gif

Yeah, that's the one that's always at the front of my brain when I see a topic like this one.

I was only a child...

I think I remember a burly death scene from Manhunter: San Francisco (I think? LA? I dunno). I'll see if I can find a youtube thingy of it and gif it.

Top Bottom