• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend for Wii unofficially confirmed; Double Fine not developing

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_...ng-to-the-wii-double-fines-not-making-it.html

Ben Fritz said:
The Interwebs are abuzz today over Double Fine honcho Tim Schafer's rather cryptic comment when asked by 1UP about the rumor that there will be a Wii version of his upcoming heavy metal action game "Brutal Legend." "We are making an Xbox 360 and a PS3 version of Brutal Legend," he said.

He's telling the truth. Just not the whole truth. Double Fine is making "Brutal Legend" for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. And Electronic Arts is engaging another developer to make a version of the game for the Wii (most likely with Double Fine consulting). I'm not sure who that developer is, but several good sources have confirmed for me that it's in the works.

I also don't know when "Brutal Legend" for Wii will be released, but I'd be surprised it's it's this fall along with PS3 and 360, given that I understand development started fairly recently. But I wouldn't be surprised if it follows the model of the upcoming "Dead Space: Extraction" and comes out a year or so after the original PS3/360 version

Strategically, this is a no-brainer. EA has said its turnaround plan involves fewer, bigger franchises and a focus on the no. 1 console in the market: Wii. If "Brutal Legend" is one of those franchises (don't tell Activision!), it makes total sense EA wants to get it on Nintendo's platform. Especially since the game's main character carries a big-ass axe that it could be fun to swing with the Wii-mote.

An EA rep declined to comment.

Cue the hate and various bitter, snarky comments from Link.

I'd put Brutal Legend right in the same "doooooooooooomed" pot as Madworld, but it'll probably have more mass market appeal due to Jack Black.

It's funny how when a third party game is announced for PS3/360, it sparks positive discussion and interest. Then when a third party game is announced for Wii, cue Imagine/Dead Space jokes and hilarious photoshops.

Aaron Strife said:
It's funny how when a third party game is announced for PS3/360, it sparks positive discussion and interest. Then when a third party game is announced for Wii, cue Imagine/Dead Space jokes and hilarious photoshops.

Because even Wii fans don't trust 3rd parties anymore.

Aaron Strife said:

Ah, I was just joking around myself.
I'm hoping that it's a true action game like the PS3/360 version, but different enough that it allows me to double dip.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Eteric Rice said:
Truth.

We're kind of like that guy that keeps getting struck by lightning in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Was it not Nintendo fans who were the most arduous that the Wii would be a supplement to the HD systems, before the Wii came out? All that has happened is Nintendo fans greatest dream coming true!

Eteric Rice

grandjedi6 said:
Was it not Nintendo fans who were the most arduous that the Wii would be a supplement to the HD systems, before the Wii came out? All that has happened is Nintendo fans greatest dream coming true!

I don't remember that.

Then again, I wasn't here before the Wii was released.

Bebpo

Banned
Considering that it's not exactly pushing the hardware, I don't see how outsourcing the port could do much damage if the writing, voice and graphical assets are the same. Better to let DF focus on finishing it up instead of taking manpower away for the port.

legend166

The more money made for Double Fine, the better.

I think this game is going to need all the sales it can get, so this is good. Is it still using the Guitar Hero controller? Makes complete sense to release it on Wii if so, considering it has the largest base to draw from.

MisterHero

grandjedi6 said:
but but that was only so Sony could be dethroned! Not me though, I always believed in Nintendo. Wii and DS compliment each other nicely.

Seeing as Sony did it to themselves and the balance of power restored, the "Wii60 alliance" had since been disbanded.

pakkit said:
For once, all I want IS a direct port.

Well we pretty much got that with Dead Rising, which showed us that direct downports = bad. :(

Capcom claimed the Wii version was ground-up, but I don't entirely believe that.

Speevy said:
I don't think it was, but I may be wrong.

I think it was Budcat (Blast Works) that did the PS2 version.

They're owned by Activision now (who ironically passed on Brutal Legend when they were taking in Sierra's IPs), so I doubt Budcat would be allowed to make the Wii version.

Then again, they're making Our House Party! for Majesco, so perhaps they're not restricted to games by Activision only?

Scrubking

So the Wii is the best place to sell games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but for this EA will go the usual outsourced third rate developer route? Shift to Wii my ass.

Well we pretty much got that with Dead Rising, which showed us that direct downports = bad. :(

Capcom claimed the Wii version was ground-up, but I don't entirely believe that.

DR Wii was anything but a direct port. And for the last Fing time DR Wii proves nothing as far as Wii porting goes!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hero of Legend said:

I think it had to be actually. Dead Rising: Chop 'Til You Drop is built on the RE4 Wii Edition engine (which I imagine is a slightly upgraded version of the RE4 GameCube engine), not the MT framework.

Of course, I guess they could have tried to just adapt all the engine calls in the 360 gameplay code to the Wii engine instead but I'm not sure if that would have been less effort or not.

markatisu

Hero of Legend said:

Dead Rising suffered from not having polish or the time taken to make it look good. The mechanics of the game/gameplay are sound.

Despite the smaller number of zombies they did get harder as the game progressed, and the controls worked out good. Dead Rising CTYD was not bad because it was a Wii game, it was just a bad game in general.

If you want to talk about ports talk about COD WaW Wii which is a port of the CoD4 engine, and worked pretty damn well (Activision just did what they did in all their 1st time Wii games like GHIII and omitted some of the features)

farnham

Banned
Hero of Legend said:

1. it is ground up because they used another engine for Dead Rising Chop till you drop
2. the game did not receive the warm reception the 360 version got. but considering its a 2006 title and that it is on a far inferior system you could say that cavia did a splendid job.. its nowhere near a bad game.. just average

donny2112

I consider this good news. Double Fine doesn't want to develop on Wii? Fine. EA will hire an outside developer (giving a smaller developer some good work to do) to create the Wii version. As long as it's a competent port, the Wii still gets the game, and the smaller developer might get tagged to do another Wii port down the line. In my opinion, this is a good start. :)

MarkusRJR

farnham said:
1. it is ground up because they used another engine for Dead Rising Chop till you drop
2. the game did not receive the warm reception the 360 version got. but considering its a 2006 title and that it is on a far inferior system you could say that cavia did a splendid job.. its nowhere near a bad game.. just average
Tose, not Cavia. Cavia did RE: UC and is currently doing RE: DSC.

Haunted

grandjedi6 said:
No Double Fine, no buy.
Came in here to post that. 'Consulting' is not good enough when there are other versions available made by the devs themselves.

That, plus the probable late release will lead to middling sales, proving once again that the Wii isn't a place for mature core games.
Calling it now, mark my words. Simultaneous releases are absolutely crucial.

edit: if it's however a completely different game set in the same universe (akin to DS:E), all bets are off again.

Sadist

donny2112 said:
I consider this good news. Double Fine doesn't want to develop on Wii? Fine. EA will hire an outside developer (giving a smaller developer some good work to do) to create the Wii version. As long as it's a competent port, the Wii still gets the game, and the smaller developer might get tagged to do another Wii port down the line. In my opinion, this is a good start. :)
Well, they should have started taking this approach last year in my opinion. I'm not complaining at the moment (two nights, three cool announcements) but it seems developers are finaly catching up. At first sight.

markatisu

Sadist said:
Well, they should have started taking this approach last year in my opinion. I'm not complaining at the moment (two nights, three cool announcements) but it seems developers are finaly catching up. At first sight.

Well at least now we are getting game development only a few months off from the original, not 2-3 years after it began on other systems.

But the Wii can never win at GAF so the response should not surprise anyone

Haunted

Hey, I think I'm a pretty positive guy
Red Steel 2 believe!
but even I can see the writing on the wall with wording such as this.

If screens and videos come out and it appears to actually be good, I'll gladly eat crow for doubting the project.

MisterHero said:
Seeing as Sony did it to themselves and the balance of power restored, the "Wii60 alliance" had since been disbanded.
The Wii60 alliance just didn't have a competent common enemy so it disbanded quickly.

edit: 'tis all a rumour for now anyway

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Haunted said:
Came in here to post that. 'Consulting' is not good enough when there are other versions available made by the devs themselves.

That, plus the probable late release will lead to middling sales, proving once again that the Wii isn't a place for mature core games.
Calling it now, mark my words. Simultaneous releases are absolutely crucial.

edit: if it's however a completely different game set in the same universe (akin to DS:E), all bets are off again.
So the PS2 version was no good because DF didn't make it? I'll agree that it was inferior to the Xbox and PC version graphically, but that's already expected for Wii games. I think BL is a great addition to Wii's library and fits more with it's userbase than MadWorld and HotD: Overkill.

Haunted

MadOdorMachine said:
So the PS2 version was no good because DF didn't make it? I'll agree that it was inferior to the Xbox and PC version graphically, but that's already expected for Wii games. I think BL is a great addition to Wii's library and fits more with it's userbase than MadWorld and HotD: Overkill.
Never played the PS2 version of Psychonauts, so I can't comment on that.

I'm hoping it's awesome and fantastic and equal, or at least close in quality and scope to the PS360 Brütal Legend that DoubleFine's developing.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Even if the quality is somehow equal, the fact that it would be coming out a "year or so" later kills any chance the game has of selling anyway.

Scrubking said:
So the Wii is the best place to sell games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but for this EA will go the usual outsourced third rate developer route? Shift to Wii my ass.
Uh, Double Fine made the game for 360/PS3 and EA is just publishing. Double Fine likely doesn't want to spend time downporting so EA is getting someone else if this is true. I don't see how this has anything to do with EA purported "shift to Wii."

Top Bottom