• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutally beaten and detained Palestinian boy, is American teen from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Turns out the kid is an American-Palestinian student from Florida! Are any of the US television news channels covering this yet?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/israeli-police-beat-detain-fla-teen-family-article-1.1856079

Some quotes from the article.

Israeli police brutally beat, detain Florida teen while he was watching protests over slaying of Palestinian cousin: family

GRAPHIC VIDEO purportedly shows Tariq Khdeir — a Florida high school student visiting Palestine for the summer — being brutally beaten by police in Israel. Police say the 15-year-old was at a protest over the death of his Palestinian cousin, Mohammed Abu Khdeir, who was allegedly murdered by a far-right Jewish vigilante group.

Tariq Khdeir, 15, was visited while in custody Saturday by an official from the American consulate, the State Department announced in a statement.

“We are profoundly troubled by reports that he was severely beaten while in police custody and strongly condemn any excessive use of force,” said spokeswoman Jen Psaki.

An autopsy concluded that Mohammed, whose death led to bloody rallies in his East Jerusalem neighborhood, suffered burns over “90% of his body,” said Palestinian Attorney General Abdelghani al-Owaiwi.

“The results show he was breathing while on fire and died from burns and their consequences,” he said, adding that burns were found inside Mohammed’s lungs, bronchial tubes and his throat.

tariq-khdeir.jpg

Video of beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5N7ZKfitew

Also more info I saw posted about this.

Omar Suleiman
‪#‎CAIR‬: Israeli Army Brutally Beats Florida High School Student

CAIR-Florida ask U.S. Department of State to intervene on behalf of American citizen

(TAMPA, FL 7/04/14) - The Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-Florida) today called on the U.S. Department of State to demand that Israel immediately release 15-year-old Palestinian-American high school student Tariq Khdeir so that he may receive emergency medical attention after being brutally beaten by Israeli forces. Khdeir’s beating was captured on video.

VIDEO: Soldiers Holding Tariq Khdeir Down and Brutally Beating Him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDENWwEDGr4

On July 3, Khdeir, cousin of kidnapped and murdered Palestinian teen Mohammed Abu Khdeir, was beaten by Israeli soldiers and incarcerated with severe medical injuries. His family has reported to CAIR-Florida that he seems to have a broken nose, broken chin and his eyes are swollen shut. He is unconscious and chained to a bed and his mother is not allowed within 15 feet of him.

Tariq Khdeir is a sophomore in High School at UAF in Tampa Florida and an American-born citizen.

“It is the duty of American officials to intervene and secure the release of an American citizen who was so viciously attacked and denied medical treatment,” said CAIR-Florida Chief Executive Director Hassan Shibly.

Shibly noted that CAIR’s Sacramento Valley chapter took part in a memorial service last night with California relatives of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, who was abducted and killed near his home in Jerusalem on Wednesday.

CAIR-SV: Sacramento Family of Slain Palestinian Teen Demands Justice
http://www.news10.net/story/news/lo...in-palestinian-teen-demands-justice/12202611/
CAIR-SV: Family of Slain Palestinian Teen Lives in Sacramento
http://www.kcra.com/news/family-of-slain-palestinian-teen-lives-in-sacramento/26792470

CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.

- END –

CONTACT: CAIR-Florida Chief Executive Director Hassan Shibly, 813-541-4321, hshibly@cair.com; CAIR-Florida Regional Operations Director Nezar Hamze, 954-673-9459, nhamze@cair.com; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, ihooper@cair.com; CAIR Communications Manager Amina Rubin, 202-341-4171,arubin@cair.com

____

Update: Sunday 6th July

New video of Tarek speaking moments after he was released on bail (subject to 9 days of house arrest at his uncles home in Jerusalem). The initial accused charges of him taking part in the violence were oddly never mentioned in court regarding his case, which reinforces the notion that it was just made up Israeli disinformation to try and justify the undue brutality. His father also says he witnessed the arrest and that his son had no part in the violence, as Tarek himself states in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g-0CD6PH4A

New TIME article on the developments.

http://time.com/2959642/israel-palestine-tariq-khdeir/

2014-07-06t120243z_1000985534_gm1ea761.jpg

Update 2:

New video's of Tariq speaking here.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...ir-speechless-beating-israeli-police-24442462

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb10Pp9ubTw

Update 3:

Also Tariq's mother speaking in these videos (who was there with her son at court), mentions herself that no charges have presently been levied at Tariq by the Israeli courts.

Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZ-ZcZD6t8

And here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXMEPgn32E

Weren't the Israeli police force claiming the footage was edited or doctored in some way?

I remember hearing something along those line last night, but that changed to 'we're investigating' after the second video showed up?

Weren't the Israeli police force claiming the footage was edited or doctored in some way?

I remember hearing something along those line last night, but that changed to 'we're investigating' after the second video showed up?
They're just salty that the video doesn't show the Palestinian throwing rocks etc. before getting beaten up.
The police dispute the account, saying he was part of a group of six masked youths who were armed with three knives, resisted arrest and attacked the officers.

“This is a video edited and biased that does not represent the events,” police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said in a statement to ABC News. Asked if he’s denying the beating in the video clips took place, Rosenfeld responded:“Obviously incidents took place before or after that the suspects were involved in.”
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=24436457

Via JordanN

nib95

Banned

Now that it's apparent the boy is also an American, I have a feeling they may (or may not knowing Israel) be a bit more cautious about the BS they conjure or spread to try and justify the brutality.

Gintamen

I always try to blame the politicians only, but go on and put a bad picture of Israel to the whole world...

nib95

Banned
At the very least they ought to allow the mother to see her child. And the US should be fighting tooth and nail to allow that, not to mention to get him out of there and receiving proper medical help, as well as a proper investigation, hopefully lending towards the correct discipline and punishment to the soldiers in question.

I know this kind of brutality by the Israeli police is nothing new (it's something that's long been documented on, much worse has happened in the past in-fact), but given this is an American teen involved, I hope more attention is drawn to it, and perhaps (however unlikely), more pressure can be placed to prevent this kind of thing in future.

Now to see how patriotic right-wing republicans really are. Do you support the beaten American or the foreign, heroic Israeli police force?

Israel is [strokes money] our greatest [strokes money] friend and ally [strokes money], and this barbarian act [strokes money] was obviously concocted by enemies of [strokes money] America.

In fact, they suspiciously had the same [strokes money] skin color as our president does. why didn't Hussein Obama [strokes] prevent this? #BENGHAZI2ELECTRIBOOGALOO

#ISRAEL4EVERLUVYABOYZ

FZZ

Banned
Wonder if this will gain more attention and show how one sided the whole entire situation with Israel and Palestine actually is.

nib95

Banned
I have my doubts main stream media even picks this up.

Just did a quick Google, and it looks like some of the bigger networks are picking it up now. Not sure how much coverage it's getting on TV news mind.

Here's CNN's article and video on it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/05/world/meast/jerusalem-u-s--teen-beaten/index.html

Some details about the situation.

- He was actually handcuffed whilst being brutally beaten (as shown in the video).
- He is currently chained to a bed in an Israeli prison for questioning, without proper medical attention, and his mother nor any relative have been allowed to see him.
- He has reportedly also been "severely" beaten whilst in Israeli custody.

Just did a quick Google, and it looks like some of the bigger networks are picking it up now. Not sure how much coverage it's getting on TV news mind.

Here's CNN's article and video on it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/05/world/meast/jerusalem-u-s--teen-beaten/index.html

Some details about the situation.

- He was actually handcuffed whilst being brutally beaten (as shown in the video).
- He is currently chained to a bed in an Israeli prison for questioning, without proper medical attention, and his mother nor any relative have been allowed to see him.
- He has reportedly also been "severely" beaten whilst in Israeli custody.

Color me pleasantly surprised.

Trax

Banned
I am actually fucking shocked that this is on CNN's front page. Did hell freeze over or something?

ankuo

Banned
Support the only Democracy in the region proper joke pathetic. Makes me rage every time i see this then see our politicians bend down and take it in the @%@ for aipac.. also why the fuk is he still being beaten up when they know hes an american citizen or they just don't give a shit hiding it anymore.. also ill leave this here. And 2 fully grown men don't even have the balls to hit the kid non handcuffed. pretty sums up that ''state''

10407193_607586212693737_3855869823347671589_n.jpg

Yagharek

Absolutely disgusting thug behaviour from the Israeli forces.

Luckily he survived, but also it is important he is a westerner since it will hopefully bring this to the attention to more people than it would have otherwise.

I wont be holding my breath expecting any consequences for the thugs that did this to him though

M.D

Support the only Democracy in the region proper joke pathetic. Makes me rage every time i see this then see our politicians bend down and take it in the @%@ for aipac.. also why the fuk is he still being beaten up when they know hes an american citizen or they just don't give a shit hiding it anymore.. also ill leave this here. And 2 fully grown men don't even have the balls to hit the kid non handcuffed. pretty sums up that ''state''

None of the info in that image is even close to being true.

https://scontent-b-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10407193_607586212693737_3855869823347671589_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm pretty anti-Israel and this is facebookesque.

In fact, I see that this did come directly from facebook according to the url.

Chariot

Has neogaf got an israeli defence force?
You should see this shit in germany. It's hard for politicians to critisize Israel, because the minute someone with a name does that SOMEBODY comes and reminds us off Nazi germany. It's laughable how far people pack their critque to Israel in cussions to not be pummeled by the press.

That number of murdered children is almost twice the casualties of the entire 60 year conflict but keep on dropping those truth bombs !

You should see this shit in germany. It's hard for politicians to critisize Israel, because the minute someone with a name does that SOMEBODY comes and reminds us off Nazi germany. It's laughable how far people pack their critque to Israel in cussions to not be pummeled by the press.

Germany? You mean all over the world? It's the ultimate fucking armor.

Darklord

Banned

Haha wow. That picture is kind of like those people saying Hitler barely killed anyone and that WW2 was the rest of Europe's fault,. Nobody believes it and you just look like a fool for saying it.

nib95

Banned

UNICEF reporting that many of the Palestinian children that are detained by Israeli forces get threatened with violence, rape, murder etc if they don't sign confessions stating they did X, Y or Z, usually stone throwing.

Even if you hadn't done anything of the sort, if you've been brutally beaten, and are being held in a prison in shackles without any rights or legal aid or anything of the sort, you're going to sign pieces of paper saying you threw stones or whatever else the Israeli's want you to say you did.

ankuo

Banned
That totally makes all the info true. I'm so sorry. Carry on!

ye cuz Israel are the good guys they clearly dont target and try and kill off the kids.. its pretty much systematic. i think you should really watch this regardless.

Chichikov

I like how it almost spells jihad.

And yeah this story isn't going to gain any traction.
The fact that he's an American citizen gives it a chance.
Say what you want about the US, they don't take kindly when American citizens are being treated like that, and the state department doesn't really see race so much when it comes to such issues.

If nothing else, I'm fairly certain those fucking assholes are not going to get away without punishment, which they would most likely would have if it was "just" a Palestinian.

Chariot

Germany? You mean all over the world? It's the ultimate fucking armor.
Could very well be, but it's the most easiest to pick on for pro-Israel organisations, because germany by default has to burden this enormous guilt. Most people of the generation are already dead and yet we're still hearing things like "YOU killed the jews, remember!" (oh and homosexuals and left wings politicians, but who cares about them).
There was farily recent poem by Günther Grass where he critizied Israel and germany for selling submarines that are able to carry nuclear warheads to Israel. Well, the poem itself wasn't really good imo, but the important thing is the aftermath, because it at least brought a lot of discussion regarding the topic of how germans should deal with Israel. Suprinsingly it have it's own wikipedia article, even in english.

Bullshit, you can critize Isreal in germany, as long as stay factual and objective, but a lot of people fail at that.
In fact, you can read critical articles about Israels policies all the time(in good newspapers like SZ).
For example, germanys bundespresident(Jogi Gauck) right after he came into office: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/...n-israel-jerusalems-falsche-politik-1.1368383

Dead Man

Say what you want about the US, they don't take kindly when American citizens are being treated like that, and the state department doesn't really see race so much when it comes to such issues.

If nothing else, I'm fairly certain those fucking assholes are not going to get away without punishment, which they would most likely would have if it was "just" a Palestinian.
Sure they do if they are brown or Islamic.

Chariot

Bullshit, you can critize Isreal in germany, as long as stay factual and objective, but a lot of people fail at that.
In fact, you can read critical articles about Israels policies all the time(in good newspapers like SZ).
For example, germanys bundespresident(Jogi Gauck) right after he came into office: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/...n-israel-jerusalems-falsche-politik-1.1368383
I did talk about politicans, yes? Even the article states:
Diese Unterscheidung ist wichtig, aber sie kommt kaum zur Geltung - jedenfalls nicht in Jerusalem und nicht in Berlin. Israels Regierung hat sich gegen Kritik immunisiert, indem sie alle Vorhaltungen als antiisraelisch oder gar anti-semitisch zurückweist. Selbst wenn das oft als durchsichtiges Manöver zu erkennen ist, zeitigt es in der deutschen Politik immer wieder das gewünschte Ergebnis.

Kritik wird von der Bundesregierung höchstens hinter verschlossenen Türen geäußert. Öffentlich kann Außenminister Guido Westerwelle seinem israelischen Gegenüber, dem "lieben Avigdor" Lieberman, bei allfälligen Zusammentreffen dann gar nicht oft genug auf die Schultern klopfen, um seine freundschaftliche Verbundenheit zu zeigen.
Gauck is surely a good man who talks about some topics that others, but I don't see critique from him in this article. In fact that article is a personal comment from Peter Münch, not an actual news article.

I did talk about politicans, yes? Even the article states: Gauck is surely a good man who talks about some topics that others, but I don't see critique from him in this article. In fact that article is a personal comment from Peter Münch, not an actual news article.

I didn't say enough politicians criticize Israels policies, I just said IF people do it properly(which happens from time to time) they don't get crap for doing it.
But if you do it like Günther Grass is a stupid, polemic way, you will get crap for it and rightly so.

Chariot

I didn't say enough politicians criticize Israels policies, I just said IF people do it properly(which happens from time to time) they don't get crap for doing it.
But if you do it like Günther Grass is a stupid, polemic way, you will get crap for it and rightly so.
That much about Grass is true. It was really clumsy.
But I said that in my previous post and pointed out that the important part was the public discussion afterwards. The thing is "properly" means that politicians take a lot of cotton to wrap everything in and super great caution to not get on the feet of Israel and our past.

They didn't much care when one of their own (and his teenager child) was droned without a trial, tho.

That much about Grass is true. It was really clumsy.
But I said that in my previous post and pointed out that the important part was the public discussion afterwards. The thing is "properly" means that politicians take a lot of cotton to wrap everything in and super great caution to not get on the feet of Israel and our past.

They have to say it in a diplomatic manner, but thats not unusual. Look at the CIA scandal. CIA wiretapping Merkels phone. German politicians are outraged, but what they actually say sounds quite harmless.

When Gauck visited Israel he said that germany is on Israels side and he hopes for a peaceful two-states solution(Israel and Palestine exiting next to each other, peaceful and set borders) and he hopes that armed conflict with Iran can be avoided.
Thereby suggesting that Isreal is interested in a peaceful two-state solution and avoiding war with Iran.
Some people where outraged by that. But nobody could really argue against it. I mean, how could you?

Arksy

Just like when the Israeli raid of the Mavi Marmara killed an American Citizen, no one gave a shit, I doubt anyone will give a shit this time. (Generally speaking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom