• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Fuller named showrunner of new Star Trek series

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-bryan-fuller-showrunner-cbs-hannibal-1201700606/

“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997).

“My very first experience of ‘Star Trek’ is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the ‘Star Trek’ universe lit my imagination on fire,” said Fuller. “It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of ‘Star Trek’ with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before.”

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

Wow. Did NOT expect that.

-griffy-

Banned
WHAT WAIT WHAT

LOOKS LIKE THIS GUY'S GOING TO BOLDLY GO WITH THE NEW #STARTREK
Caypu7bUYAEiLhS.jpg:large

JdFoX187

Banned
So, they're actually serious about doing this properly? Awesome. How's this going to affect his duties on American Gods, though?

Mindwipe

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

That makes it sound like it'll air on CBS in fairly short order.

sohois

What about American Gods? Didn't he abandon chances to keep Hannibal because he was too busy with the former?

SDCowboy

Wait so this is only going to eventually be on a subscription service instead of regular CBS? Or is it going to air entirely on both?

Fuchsdh

Uh... I was wondering why the name sounded familiar.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-captain-of-bryan-fullers-awesome-non-existent-tre-484411688
I would love to do something on the Reliant. I want Angela Lansbury … Not Lansbury! I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that’s who I would love to have, you know Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show and but that’s in the future to be told.

Okay there buddy.

That said, his credits on Star Trek aren't half-bad.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh fucking yes.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is fantastic news and the first truly positive Star Trek news in a fucking decade. After Hannibal (and considering he already worked on DS9, my favourite TV series whatsoever) I am really optimistic now :).

Wait so this is only going to eventually be on a subscription service instead of regular CBS? Or is it going to air entirely on both?

I don't know if their plans are concrete at the moment, but it seems like the premiere will be on CBS, then subsequent episodes will be on their VOD subscription service only.

Tansut

He's been wanting to do this for ages.
On 2 March 2009 Fuller told iF Magazine that he is pushing for a new Star Trek TV series based on "old style" Star Trek. In the interview he stated that "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trek series and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

In 2013, Fuller added "I think there's something very exciting about the new J.J. Abrams-verse, and there's also kind of an interesting reinvention. How would The Next Generation evolve from that? Where would that be? Where would that go? But there's also... Star Trek is such a big universe, and there are so many places to go with it. I have a very specific idea that I would love to do. We'll see if I ever get the opportunity."

Perfect choice.

SDCowboy

I don't know if their plans are concrete at the moment, but it seems like the premiere will be on CBS, then subsequent episodes will be on their VOD subscription service only.

Why would they bother bringing Star Trek back just to put it on a paid service that relatively very few people have? Should have been on Netflix if the plan was subscription service only.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now cast Mads Mikkelsen as the next captain of the USS Enterprise and we have a sure fire winner.

Too bad Idris Elba is going to be in the next movie, he would have been another great addition to the cast. A Worf who doesn't get his ass kicked every episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom