• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bullshots: How close did PS4/XB1 games come to the E3 builds? Let's see!

Maxy

Banned
Must say that the EA ones are a little unfair. Nowhere did they state that the Ignite Trailer was gameplay.

Kind of like putting a screencap from the Cinematic trailers for Diablo III or World of Warcraft against a screenshot from the games.

Falcs

Banned
Looks like the girl in blue at the front has a twin that's right behind her.

Edit: nvm triplets, to the right there's another one but with a green shirt!

Lol that's hilarious.... How did they find identical octuplets to pose for the crowd?
Bkgb5zg.jpg

Forza:

That crowd...

PVp0oTL.jpg

You can even see it in the shot up there. Look at the crowd. The E3 one is all shaded and not obvious. The launch one is all shit straight out of Mortal Kombat 1.

lol holy shit, they look like cardboard cutouts.

maybe MS will reuse these at the XB1 launch party

Must say that the EA ones are a little unfair. Nowhere did they state that the Ignite Trailer was gameplay.

They said it was pre-rendered but they were using real game assets and that what they had at their studio looked as good if not better than those trailers.

Damaniel

Banned
Forza:

That crowd...

PVp0oTL.jpg

You can even see it in the shot up there. Look at the crowd. The E3 one is all shaded and not obvious. The launch one is all shit straight out of Mortal Kombat 1.

At least tell me those sprites are animated...

God, 2D billboard sprites like that haven't been standard since the freaking PS2 days. Even Gen7 consoles managed to have some games with 3D crowds. Yuck.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sony's 1st party titles have seen tremendous improvements since E3.

Forza still looks good but definitely not at the level it was. I thought Forza 5 was arguably the most impressive looking game at E3.

EA Sports need to be taken out back and beaten.

Theecliff

Banned
Weren't the shots of FIFA, Live and Madden from E3 in the OP just pre-rendered stuff being shown at E3 to show off the engine? None of it was ever supposed to be gameplay, at least (although it was a bit disingenuous to show off a trailer for the engine when none of the games using it look even close).

And yeah, saw that shot comparison for Forza in the other thread and made a comment there.

Textures on the buildings have improved and parts of the track have actually been put in since E3, although that's probably because the track wasn't close to being finished back then. However, DOF, lighting, anti-aliasing, crowds, environmental effects (the smoke in the background) and seemingly AF (although I'm not too sure from those shots) have all been downgraded.

While it definitely doesn't explain/excuse everything, was the E3 shot taken in replay mode?

KOMANI

KOMANI
I hope not, but you're probably right.

Still, bad graphics or not, if they manage to deliver on the promise of that game..dang, get hype.

we'll see. I'm glad games like watch dogs, and drive club are taking more time. The more time the Division is in development, the more confident I am they'll hit their mark... cause this half resolution now, half after patch stuff is getting ri-gaw-damn-diculous.

Dinjooh

Even in the N64 days we had 2d crowds that had 1 or 2 different poses! But looking at this 2d crowd, it seems to consist of pictures they hastily took at the office.

Yea I know, but this looks like all the folks from the office just got pictured and put in the game, and wondered if they also had a "Bring your winter-coat to work day" to get all the pictures needed.

Looks like the girl in blue at the front has a twin that's right behind her.

Edit: nvm triplets, to the right there's another one but with a green shirt!

Tons of her!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Killzone looks alot better, the easiest way to see is look at the e3 forest demo and the current game.

OLD ( Direct )
Killzone-Shadow-Fall_screenshot-5.jpg

New (Compressed from PS4, not direct )
1412275_1376506935930118_1147550790_o.jpg

How in sweet hell am I supposed to conclude anything about this from two totally different areas?

Mask

Killzone seems pretty much untouched. The reflective glass on the buildings seems toned down or removed, but other than that, yeah, the same.

Ryse was improved, 2K14 is unbelievably good, Knack got some improvements, and the less said about the Forza crowds, the better..

KOMANI

KOMANI
Weren't the shots of FIFA, Live and Madden from E3 in the OP just pre-rendered stuff being shown at E3 to show off the engine? None of it was ever supposed to be gameplay, at least (although it was a bit disingenuous to show off a trailer for the engine when none of the games using it look even close).

And yeah, saw that shot comparison for Forza in the other thread and made a comment there.

Textures on the buildings have improved and parts of the track have actually been put in since E3, although that's probably because the track wasn't close to being finished back then. However, DOF, lighting, anti-aliasing, crowds, environmental effects (the smoke in the background) and seemingly AF (although I'm not too sure from those shots) have all been downgraded.

While it definitely doesn't explain/excuse everything, was the E3 shot taken in replay mode?
i believe if you go to the first page, you'll see a quote from someone from EA admitting that what they're showing is CGI, but then claims that their games are close to their CGI counterparts, if not in some places surpassing them.

Damaniel

Banned
Killzone seems pretty much untouched. The reflective glass on the buildings seems toned down or removed, but other than that, yeah, the same

They definitely changed some of the post processing steps, but the reflections are still there (just really muted). I'm actually shocked how similar the 'bullshot' version and the release version of Killzone are. It gives me hope that power is there to exploit if developers can (and want to) make the effort.

I fear this is going to be another generation where Madden doesn't come close to looking like their reveal trailer.

But within a generation or two, it may look like last gen's reveal trailer...

Tiu Neo

Forza... Holy fuck, the cutouts on the final version. That shit should have been gone after the PS2/GC/Xbox era.

Demon Ice

Banned
NBA Live 14 and Killzone nailed it.

The other 3 noticeably downgraded. Lol at 3D animated crowds --> static 2D sprite crowds for Forza. The first time I saw the sprites I literally thought they had been poorly photoshopped into the game.

jet1911

When the time comes, I will remind you of this post.

Why? You think it'll look the same, or better? Are you new to the "Ubisoft vertical slice demo" way to show a game? If it look the same I'll be super happy but chances are that it wont look the same. At all.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
NBA Live 14 and Killzone nailed it.

The other 3 noticeably downgraded. Lol at 3D animated crowds --> static 2D sprite crowds for Forza. The first time I saw the sprites I literally thought they had been poorly photoshopped into the game.

Excuse me, but what?

Forza:

That crowd...

PVp0oTL.jpg

My god it is like they looked at Cruisin' USA and said "Hey those crowd models look good. Let's do that. NEXT GEN, YEAH!"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Those sports titles look horrible in the final build.

Both killzone and forza holds up well

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Kind of like putting a screencap from the Cinematic trailers for Diablo III or World of Warcraft against a screenshot from the games.

You guys are being quite generous here. Madden doesn't even look as good as the already downgraded gameplay trailer they showed at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWVSwEtJQU

Skyzard

Banned
Killzone has a lot less mist and fifa looks like a turd.

-yes please (antitrop)! And don't say such things, jet1911 :( next-gen would be for nothing.

edit- it's not mist, it's something to do with the shadowing.

Top Bottom