• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumper crop of PSN PS1 Classics just ESRB rated (XENOGEARS, VAGRANT STORY & MORE!)

epmode

aceface said:
Xenogears is ok but it's sooo long and slow. It's not possible that they speeded up the text speed for this version, is it?
Doubtful. I'd pay double for instant text scroll. Default speed is almost game-breaking!

Meh

I own Vagrant Story and never expressed interest in Xenogears. I was extra disappointed when I saw the title lacking Chrono Cross (of which I have only the second disc):

heringer

Great, will buy.

I wish they would release Chrono Cross though. I have the disc version but I want to play it on my PSP since it looks like shit on a big LCD (as any game with pre rendered backgrounds)

Yaweee

MikeE21286 said:
This.

Looking for an experience like I had when I played Chrono trigger for the first time when it came out for the DS. Will I be massively disappointed GAF?

Yes. It was great when it came out, but the horrifically slow text speed has made it unplayable by today's standards.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RedSwirl said:
Okay people tell me, where does Xenogears sit on the JRPG anime bullshit scale?

Describe bullshit scale?

It has anime inspired designs, but they are well varried between a large cast. Story is what most people enjoy about Xenogears. Even in the 2nd disk where it's more reading than playing the story still shines.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RedSwirl said:
I'd say it's very high?

But this is before voice acting so anime "personalities" aren't a problem. No bubbly airhead girls, shonen heroes or moe.

But yeah a lot of angsty flashback scenes with melodramatic music, strange re-purposing of western religions in sci fi plots, lots of wierd made up terms to drive the plot (Zohar! Soylent System! Wave Existence!).

I don't find it offensive... but then again I was 14 when it came out and it was the late 90s. Anime was awesome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RedSwirl said:

The ain't moe or anything that's for sure.

Zeal

Banned
Xenogears up in this bitch. one of the greatest RPGs ever developed. not opinion.

purchase has been confirmed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
zenogias.jpg

I'm very excited that we're finally getting Xenogears. But I'm more hypes about Ridge Racer R4, the crown jewel of the series.

Hopefully it'll be out soooooon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ridge Racer 4 is coming out next month according to Namco Bandai's Press Release.

Oh shit! Xenogears is finally coming. Truly one of the most ambitious stories ever seen in a jrpg, with so many memorable scenes. Can't wait! Especially good because it has really been a long time since I played it, so a lot of it will feel fresh.

Syril

GrumpyAlien said:
Oh shit! Xenogears is finally coming. Truly one of the most ambitious stories ever seen in a jrpg, with so many memorable scenes. Can't wait! Especially good because it has really been a long time since I played it, so a lot of it will feel fresh.

Yeah, so ambitious they didn't even let their budget hold them back.

I thought xenogears was truly awful. One of the turning points for me in the RPG genre.

I finally realized how awful some of these stories/writing were and that I didn't have to play it just cause it had a lot of story.

No offense to those who liked it but I just found it unbearable to read that meandering, repetitive text that crawled by so slowly on the screen.

Bring on Vagrant Story and the others though. i love PSOne games on my PSP.

graywolf323

eternaLightness said:
Want this since I've never played it but I still need to finish Grandia. =/

Grandia is one of the few PS1 RPGs on PSN I haven't bought

for a game I don't know much about was kinda turned away by it's $9.99 price point

ULTROS!

graywolf323 said:
Grandia is one of the few PS1 RPGs on PSN I haven't bought

for a game I don't know much about was kinda turned away by it's $9.99 price point

It's a good game. It has a lot of content (I sorta rushed the game so I completed it within 30 hours, though it can take you more than 40++ hours to get almost everything).

gblues

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

If you played Legend of Mana once, as like a ten year old, and immediately exclaimed "lol this isn't secret of mana this is bullshit", you're basically a joke of a poster. There's a lot of people like this, perpetuating the myth that the game wasn't any good because it immediately put people off ten+ years ago because it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2 part 3. Analyze the game with a level head and you'll see where it shines.
*snip*
I don't want to say "haters gonna hate", but virtually everyone who hates the game played it once a decade ago, didn't get it, and immediately bitched that it didn't match their expectations for a Mana sequel. If you have the maturity to come to terms with that and actually play the game for what it is, it is a masterpiece.

I'm certainly in the "played it once a decade ago and hated it" camp. I'm working on rather fuzzy memories, but while my memory of the story and the specifics of the gameplay are fuzzy, I do remember exactly what I didn't like about it.

I agree that the game is technically proficient in the sound and art departments. However, the game had one fatal flaw that led to it being trade-in fodder: it was ridiculously easy. I remember plowing through level after level, waiting for the game to become a challenge, and it never happened.

Seiken Densetsu 1-3 (AKA Final Fantasy Legend, Secret of Mana, and an awesome game that US never got) were awesome, world-spanning action-RPGs. Legend of Mana was a glorified side-scrolling beat-em-up with a pointless powerup system and zero challenge. It's not that it didn't match my expectation for a Mana sequel, it's that it didn't match my expectation for a Mana game, period! It was as if Nintendo made a Zelda sequel that played like a shitty version of Final Fight.

Those are my memories. I'm not unwilling to give the game another shot, except for the fact that I currently lack the means.

Soulstar

Stumpokapow said:
Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

*snip*

I agree with this post 100% and have to say that Legend of Mana is my favorite Mana game by a longshot.

Phatcorns

gblues said:
I'm certainly in the "played it once a decade ago and hated it" camp. I'm working on rather fuzzy memories, but while my memory of the story and the specifics of the gameplay are fuzzy, I do remember exactly what I didn't like about it.

I agree that the game is technically proficient in the sound and art departments. However, the game had one fatal flaw that led to it being trade-in fodder: it was ridiculously easy. I remember plowing through level after level, waiting for the game to become a challenge, and it never happened.

This! The game was just too god damned easy. Playing it was close to pointless!

Bumping this since now there are these "PSone Imports" on the EU PSN...

Right now only 2 obscure japanese games in japanese so no thanks to that, BUT is there any chance for heavy hitters like Xenogears to FINALLY come to PSN over this import system?

Or would i be better off to just grab a US PSN card and buy it so i can play it on my PSP? How does the whole account changing part work anyway? i thought the games were tied to your PSP not the account?

Top Bottom