• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

Proven

Hot Rod Show reminds me of Hot Wheels Micro Racers, which is a good thing. I might actually buy it.

But I'm still waiting for Animales del Muerte to be released.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has anyone complained yet about nintendo's lack of support for this thing with their base i.p.'s?

i won't complain, per se, but i will say that i'd like to see them work with the minish cap team again on a zelda for wii ware. with the ds ware service starting up within the next year or so, as i understand it, being able to play the game either on your television with your wii or on your dsi would be really ace.

Hitmeneer

Proven said:
Hot Rod Show reminds me of Hot Wheels Micro Racers, which is a good thing. I might actually buy it.

But I'm still waiting for Animales del Muerte to be released.

Yeah. It looks like a crossover between Micro Racers and Excite Truck. Could be nice.

beelzebozo said:
has anyone complained yet about nintendo's lack of support for this thing with their base i.p.'s?

im pretty sure when it was first announced they said they would be supporting it but maybe now with them doing so well with the wii its less of a priority. i would love to see some nintendo wiiware though especially 2d platformers

Quickie impressions of World of Goo and Cubello.

World of Goo: A smooth presentation that's pulled off pretty perfectly; it feels like a 1500 pointer. Gameplay: Use a finite number of goo balls to build paths that the other goo balls will flow through. Make one side too heavy, it will tilt over. Your goal is to build a path to a pipe that will collect the goo balls you didn't use, so the fewer you need to use, the better; use too many and you'll just need to try again. Playing through most of the first world, it starts mixing things up with goo balls that can be rearranged even after having been placed, rotating levels, hazards to avoid, and balloons that can help keep long horizontal stretches from bending down to hazards.

CUBELLO: 3D arrangement of cubes spin around. You shoot colors from your magazine to try to create lumps of 4 or more of the same color, which will then disappear. Fail to make things disappear and you'll run out of shots; do really well and you'll increase your chance to get bonus time which will make clearing things easier. Your goal is to clear everything but the very center cube (the cubello).

This becomes trickier at the end, but perhaps proper strategies will be more clear after playing more. It's kind of like Tetris "Mode B" where you have to clear finite lines... except imagine that you also have to leave with the well completely empty. You might get down to where you have just one red block remaining, but since your next shot is blue you end up with something else to try and get rid of.

There is also some interesting strategy to Cubello in that the amalgam changes direction of rotation depending on where you shoot.

Gotta say that these Art Style games are pretty much spectacular. I imagine I'll be getting the whole set.

wsippel

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Gotta say that these Art Style games are pretty much spectacular. I imagine I'll be getting the whole set.
Same here. As soon as NoE wakes up and decides to give us those games instead of shit like Midnight Bowling, of course...

A Tetris Party video has appeared on the Nintendo Channel, so it's almost 100% certain that it's gonna be released next week! (Whenever a Wii Ware game video gets put up there before the game comes out, it has always come out the week after. Same thing happened for Strongbad Ep1 and World of Goo!)

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
A Tetris Party video has appeared on the Nintendo Channel, so it's almost 100% certain that it's gonna be released next week! (Whenever a Wii Ware game video gets put up there before the game comes out, it has always come out the week after. Same thing happened for Strongbad Ep1 and World of Goo!)
I hope Europe gets Alien Crush Returns next, Japan got it before Bomberman and Tetris :(

Capndrake said:
I hope Europe gets Alien Crush Returns next, Japan got it before Bomberman and Tetris :(

Hey that's a good point, that means that each region would've gotten one Hudson Wiiware game first! (US = Tetris, EU = Bomberman, JPN = Alien Crush Returns!)

Plus this week is a VC week in Europe so my order can't be screwed up :D

later

Nuclear Muffin said:

Which nintendo channel? Or is the nintendo channel shared across regions?

later said:
Which nintendo channel? Or is the nintendo channel shared across regions?

The US one, it updates on Monday at the same time as the Shop Channel update. Oh and each country (Yes, country, not region, so UK is seperate from France and Germany despite being in the same region!) has it's own Nintendo channel with it's own content and sales stats.

Just got through with another hour of the new games. World of Goo's gameplay isn't very similar to Lemmings at all, but it gives me a similar experience as far as seeing a level, wondering how I'm supposed to go about it, and maybe take a few attempts to get it right without losing too many Lemmings/goo balls before reaching the end of the stage. Cubello, on the other hand, is more of a Picross or maybe Dr. Mario, in that it's good fun to start out with a big mess and then keep picking away at it until everything is cleared out.

Mdk7

ecierif said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9ERbTLqVY

Someone's uploaded a Cubello video. It shows the tutorial and first two levels. Looks interesting? The only relation I can see to Coloris is that you're matching colors, but I get the feeling that Cubello is to Coloris what Tetrisphere is to Tetris (if there's any relation at all).
HOLY SHIT.
That's really like Tetrisphere, it seems beyond amazing.

DO WANT!!!

Wake the fuck up NoE!

Somnid said:
Japan got Tetris Party, Brain Challenge and Darts Wii today if anyone cares.

Lol! so much for my theory then :lol

Cubello is freaking awesome BTW, it has that addictive quality of Tetris where you can`t stop yourself from playing :D

ecierif

Has anyone played through Cubello's level mode? I'm just wondering how many levels it has. (I'm likely buying anyway since it's only $6.)

ecierif said:
Has anyone played through Cubello's level mode? I'm just wondering how many levels it has. (I'm likely buying anyway since it's only $6.)

18 stages, plus the randomly generated Endless Mode where you carry on playing until you fail.

I`m waiting on Tetris Party impressions J-GAF!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I really hope Nintendo and Skip continue the Art Style series after the next release.

Art Style and indie games like World of Goo and Cave Story could elevate WiiWare beyond XBLA for me.

Nuclear Muffin said:
18 stages, plus the randomly generated Endless Mode where you carry on playing until you fail.

More than that, there are at least 36(1a-6f). Probably that's the whole number but I don't know what will happen when I beat them all.

Princess Skittles said:
The only negative to Cubello is that it still gives you colors you've cleared, making the end of a level pretty rough without hitting the slots.

Once a color is cleared from your magazine and the playfield the game will stop giving it to you. There's a strategy to make that happen. If you count how many you have left of a particular color, you can make a figure that will be destroyed at exactly the right number of cubes.

For example, if you have exactly five of one color, and we have C represent the core, you could fire in the following sequence, while putting other colors on the other core faces.

1 5
C 3 4

dyls

I have a feeling I'm going to buy all of the artstyle games just to have them lined up on a page of the Wii Menu.

Oh, and also they're really fun and addictive.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
awesome impressions, jj.

note:
if anybody is able to collate the gaf collective opinion on various must-have wiiware games since the last time i did (check the OP), feel free to submit an updated version with a wide range of games: avoid/below average/fun but flawed/must-have. thanks.

Cjkorea

Cubello -

Robot voice can get annoying.
Very addicting gameplay. Excellent mix between shooter and puzzel. Aiming is very precise. These Art Style games are keepers.

World of Goo-

My favorite game as of right now. This game is pure fun and is hilarious. Watching your tower lean to the side and fall down as you desperately try to shift the weight of your tower to the other side. Great fun, This game makes me laugh out loud. Played for 3 hours and I know it's going to get better.

Great week for downloads. I almost got Secret of Mana yesterday. I almost got it today again. I think I'll almost get it everyday until I actually get it. Wish I didn't waste my points on games I never play. I got a bunch on the SD that I haven't touched in months...

In my eyes Wiiware is finally growing up this season. With the release of the system's greatest mainstream titles (Bomberman Blast, Mega Man 9, World of Goo), a respectable backlog (Dr. Mario, Toki Tori, FF:MLAAK, Lost Winds), current on-going series (Art Style, Strong Bad), it can only get better when big titles such as Tetris Party and Cave Story come out.
I just wish I can afford any of them.

I hope that more independent and small developers create original ideas on the system in the future - but as of now, I wouldn't be surprised if we keep on getting two Wiiware game weeks for quite a while, based on the amount of games announced.

PantherLotus said:
if anybody is able to collate the gaf collective opinion on various must-have wiiware games since the last time i did (check the OP), feel free to submit an updated version with a wide range of games: avoid/below average/fun but flawed/must-have. thanks.

The problem that may pop up is that much of the Wiiware catalog is by design very niche friendly, so it is difficult to pick out games that would appeal to "everybody", or even a core Nintendo fan audience. Maybe it would be better to categorize games according to genre and rate them within theme, instead of a general rating. "If you like platformers,
you will like x, y, and maybe z)".

The Hermit

World of Goo is ridiculously good... I was worried that it could be too hard (had some difficulty at the beginning), but once it clicked I breezed and now I am left wanting more :(

Believe, World of Goo is Portal 2.0.

sfog

Co-op and Versus look really cool!

I'm amazed it has taken this long to see another Tetris game with a Co-op widened playfield mode. That was one of the best parts of Tengen Tetris, and it just doesn't seem right that it's taken so long for it to make another appearence.

Top Bottom