• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

Wizpig said:
I don't get it Joshua, if i have a Widescreen TV and my Wii set to 16:9 AND MegaMan 9 goes automatically in 4:3 with black bars, what's the point of manually changing that?

4:3 games (and any other games for that matter, even 16:9 ones) will look crisper if you manually set your Wii and your TV to 4:3. Even if Mega Man 9 manually puts it at 4:3 when in 16:9 mode, there's wasted pixels in the black bars.

jarosh explained it really well here.

Wizpig said:
I don't get it Joshua, if i have a Widescreen TV and my Wii set to 16:9 AND MegaMan 9 goes automatically in 4:3 with black bars, what's the point of manually changing that?
To get a 4:3 image within an anamorphic 16:9 image, it will only use 3/4 of the horizontal resolution it would if it were allowed to use the full frame. Let me fake up some examples using original Mega Man shots. Since I'm not positive of what sort of resolution/resizing is going on internally this is only an approximation.

Original:
48da548ca0569.png

Anamorphic with columns:
48da5494c4b75.png

Anamorphic with columns, stretched back out:
48da549f7d3e2.png

As a still, you can see some of the definition is lost. In motion there's extra difference, in that depending on where something is on screen, it will be resized into a slightly different result, and the inconstant appearance is noticeable. Using a part of the above screen, I'll make a mockup of this, too.

Original:
48da598243bcf.gif

Anamorphic with columns:
48da59884e612.gif

Anamorphic with columns, stretched back out:
48da598f25b6f.gif

y2dvd

Very informative. The whole time I've been playing the VC with the Wii set to 16:9, but switching my tv to 4:3 view. I didn't know the lost I was suffering. Thanks for the info!

y2dvd said:
Very informative. The whole time I've been playing the VC with the Wii set to 16:9, but switching my tv to 4:3 view. I didn't know the lost I was suffering. Thanks for the info!
Well, I think most (all?) actual Virtual Console games just use the full frame regardless of how you have your Wii set, so it wouldn't make a difference. Different disc-based or WiiWare games handle it differently.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, I think most (all?) actual Virtual Console games just use the full frame regardless of how you have your Wii set, so it wouldn't make a difference. Different disc-based or WiiWare games handle it differently.
is there a way to set the games individualy, like keep wii games on 16:9 and vc games 4:3?

do the vc games even have a 16:9 mode, or is it just always defaulted to 4:3?

mattiewheels said:
is there a way to set the games individualy, like keep wii games on 16:9 and vc games 4:3?

do the vc games even have a 16:9 mode, or is it just always defaulted to 4:3?

All VC games are 4x3, no exceptions.

My girlfriend fell in love and it is quite cool. You have to like those music mixes. But if you like the boxing of wii fit (she did it really often) and DDR this game is quite good :)

Caesar III said:
My girlfriend fell in love and it is quite cool. You have to like those music mixes. But if you like the boxing of wii fit (she did it really often) and DDR this game is quite good :)
Im a fan of the music...i do wish it had groove blocks(or whatever its called) music though.
Glad it turned out ok for you and you enjoy it.
:^)

abstract alien said:
Im a fan of the music...i do wish it had groove blocks(or whatever its called) music though.
Glad it turned out ok for you and you enjoy it.
:^)
yeah I enjoy watching my girlfriend doing some workout :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As I posted in the Virtual Console thread;

Very interested in Bomberman. Veeeeeery.

REDWOOD CITY, CA - September 29, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm for HUDSON SOFT, today announced the official launch of Bomberman Blast, an all-new Bomberman available for digital download on WiiWare for the Wii. Retaining many of the classic features that fans of the award-winning series have come to love, such as online multiplayer battles and numerous arenas, Bomberman Blast also incorporates exciting new gameplay elements like Mii support and 8-person online play.

“We are thrilled to deliver Bomberman Blast to the WiiWare gamers,” said Sabine Duvall, Vice President of Product Development at Hudson Entertainment. “Hardcore fans and casual gamers alike will enjoy this new rendition of classic Bomberman created specifically for play on the Wii with three new Wii-specific items and Miis.”

Bomberman Blast features 3 new shake-it-up items specifically created for play on the Wii. Each of these new items can be used by shaking the Wii Remote to add an entirely new aspect of play to multiplayer Bomberman battles. Players can use the Bomb Change to disguise themselves as a bomb, the Rocket to jump up high in the air to avoid bomb blasts and the Shield to block bomb blasts as long as they keep shaking the Wii Remote.

There are 10 unique level designs included in the game. Once all 10 levels have been played, gamers are able to unlock the ability to blow away the competition by using a Mii as their Bomberman. Various arenas are included, ranging from the Classic level to levels with unique and exciting twists including Hyper Feet, Bomb Bowling, and Potholes.

Players will be able to compete either solo or as part of a team against the best Bomberman players worldwide, as Bomberman Blast delivers 8-player multiplayer battles online. Players can bomb it up on one console or can compete against their friends, family, and even players from all over the world with deeply customizable Wi-Fi Battles over the Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. Players can also submit their scores and track them using the new Rankings feature.

With the release of Bomberman Blast on WiiWare, Hudson Entertainment will offer several online tournaments, including one that coincides with the game’s launch. The first tournament will be a live, online, head-to-head competition between 49 randomly-selected entrants, hosted by Hudson Entertainment. Registration for the tournament and an associated sweepstakes begins immediately and runs until 5:00 p.m. PST on October 3, 2008. The competition itself will take place starting at 2:00 p.m. PST on October 6, 2008. For more information on the upcoming tournaments and to register, players can visit www.Hudsonentertainment.com.

I am a little worried about size though. I'll have to delete a few more games. :(

There's already a discussion about Orbient in the VC thread, but I figure some info belongs in this thread also.

2nhlwrn.jpg
2zg8z6t.jpg

Art Style: ORBIENT (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Explore the universe like never before in Art Style: ORBIENT. Take control of gravity and anti-gravity and carefully maneuver your small star through 50 stages set in multiple galaxies. Collide with other stars to absorb them and make your own star expand in size, or capture the stars in your orbit and have them become your satellites. Space isn't empty, though, and you'll have to avoid bumping into obstacles or getting pulled into a black hole. If you feel like relaxing while still being challenged, this is the game for you. Its combination of simple controls, atmospheric sound and unique environment make for an experience unlike any other.

Art Style™: ORBIENT™ is the first in a new game series from Nintendo, combining deep game play with atmospheric flair and simple, elegant controls that anyone can pick up and enjoy. With two more Art Style titles scheduled for release in October, this is your chance to be the first to enjoy this truly remarkable gaming experience.

Orbient is an update to the GBA release Bit Generations: Orbital, developed by Skip. This version offers at least ten new levels and new graphics, so it's not a straight port.

Gameplay video of Bit Generations: Orbital.

For those that didn't import, the Bit Generations game were incredible and are unlike anything else on the market in both presentation and game design. That Nintendo is continuing this series on Wiiware is great news for the future of the service.

Time to clean the fridge!

leroy hacker said:
There's already a discussion about Orbient in the VC thread, but I figure some info belongs in this thread also.

2nhlwrn.jpg
2zg8z6t.jpg

Orbient is an update to the GBA release Bit Generations: Orbital, developed by Skip. This version offers at least ten new levels and new graphics, so it's not a straight port.

For those that didn't import, the Bit Generations game were incredible and are unlike anything else on the market in both presentation and game design. That Nintendo is continuing this series on Wiiware is great news for the future of the service.

Whaaaa; oh my that is great! I imported the original Version. I can't wait to see this with higher quality samples and graphics, the sound design was really great! Weeee!

Shiggy

leroy hacker said:

2nhlwrn.jpg
2zg8z6t.jpg

Oh my goodness! Though it's a little sad that they do some recycling.

Shiggy said:
Oh my goodness! Though it's a little sad that they do some recycling.

Considering that the game never recieved a release outside of Japan, it should be forgiven - at least this way the game will recieve much more appreciation. I just hope they didn't ruin the charm of the original in this update.

And this should be a good precedent for Mother 3 appearing on Wiiware, too.

birdchili

leroy hacker said:
nintendo's first internally developed wiiware release?

this controls with just the nunchuk?

Shiggy

splattergnome said:
Considering that the game never recieved a release outside of Japan, it should be forgiven - at least this way the game will recieve much more appreciation. I just hope they didn't ruin the charm of the original in this update.

Still, I hope there will be more than 10 new levels. Otherwise I don't see any real reason to buy it again - and I loved it!

Shiggy

birdchili said:

Why NunChuk? Because it has two buttons? I would prefer to use the 1 & 2 buttons with this game. And it should be developed by Skip Ltd.

birdchili

Shiggy said:
Why NunChuk? Because it has two buttons? I would prefer to use the 1 & 2 buttons with this game.
you control the little star, right? i assumed either analog or pointer control, and i didn't see a cursor in the gameplay footage?

i never played the bit generations version - i'm just speculating on how this plays.

birdchili said:
you control the little star, right? i assumed either analog or pointer control, and i didn't see a cursor in the gameplay footage?

i never played the bit generations version - i'm just speculating on how this plays.

This game has no direct directional control-it just uses two buttons. One buttons turns on gravity, the other turns on anti-gravity. I expect a lot of sites to pan the game because they can't figure out the controls.

I see this version either using 1 and 2, or using A and B.

birdchili said:

Nope, Skip is a 2nd Party but we're getting closer at least!

Maybe there is a chance of Mother 3 for Wii Ware afterall! :D

Nuclear Muffin said:
Maybe there is a chance of Mother 3 for Wii Ware afterall! :D

Maybe Nintendo didn't release Earthbound on VC yet because they want to follow up on its release with the still-in-production Wii GBA emulator is working on for Mother 3.

Mother 3 will never arrive on these shores.

birdchili

leroy hacker said:
This game has no direct directional control-it just uses two buttons. One buttons turns on gravity, the other turns on anti-gravity. I expect a lot of sites to pan the game because they can't figure out the controls.

I see this version either using 1 and 2, or using A and B.
thanks. i found these impressions on nintendojo for the gba version.

i hope A/B control is at least an option. i'm always bamboozled when games that could easily play in "remote style" have only "nes style" options.

Edit: I just dled Orbient. It is only 126 blocks. It uses the A and B buttons.

I'm posting a guide I wrote last year to playing Orbital, slightly updated based on Orbient, to help orient new players.

In most games, you directly control your character's velocity, while in this game you directly control your acceleration, via gravity. That is the main reason why the controls in Orbital can be confusing. Frequently you need to ignore the buttons and simply enjoy the music as your planet floats through space towards its destination, once you have it lined up.

When you don't hold either button down, you're moving at a constant velocity(unless you're in orbit-but more on that later). This is key-you don't need to be holding down any button most of the time. Pressing the attract button turns on your mass, and all of the bodies in the area will exert forces on you in accordance with newton's law. With the repel button, your mass is treated as negative-this reverses the directions of the force and thus acceleration vectors. Orbient graphically represent these forces of attraction and repulsion.

The first fundamental gameplay technique is to tap, not hold, the buttons to nudge your velocity vector to be a desired direction and line up with something. If you tap, the force is on for just a moment, so you can just think that a small vector is being added to your velocity vector.

There is a situation where forces are applied to your character without holding a button-you can enter orbit around a planet if you are close enough(and also moving in the correct direction), in which case you move at constant angular velocity instead of constant velocity. In orbit, the attract and repel buttons work in the obvious way, by moving your orbit in or out. Orbient displays a circle representing your orbit when you move within orbit. Your speed increases as you get closer to the orbited object. However, if you are on the very edge of the orbit, and you tap repel, you will be released from orbit and continue moving at the velocity you were moving at that point in the orbit, namely, in the straight line tangent to the orbit.

Doing is part of slingshotting, the second fundamental technique-to enter orbit around a planet, and then exit it a bit later to aim yourself in some direction(say, at a planet you want to pick up or at another planet you want to orbit).

Finally, you don't need to use the predefined orbits to orbit or slingshot. If one body dominates among the different gravity force vectors by being much larger or closer or several bodies are clustered so that they act as one large object, and you hold down the positive mass button, your orbit trajectory will be approximately a Keplerian orbit-ie a parabola, hyperbola, circle or ellipse. So you can slingshot outside of the predefined orbits of a planet. Usually, since there will be other forces interfering, you need to sometimes release to correct the orbit. Usually it feels like: hold, release, hold, release, as opposed to the tapping I mentioned earlier.

Appendix: High school physics review:
Velocity is the rate of change of position. It is a vector-something with magnitude and direction. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity-it is also a vector. F=ma, in other words, the acceleration of a moving body is proportional to the force acting on it. In the absence of an external force, a body moves at a constant velocity. One fact about Newton's law of gravity is crucial: The direction of the gravitational force exerted by one body on another is towards that body. The force exerted by several bodies is the vector sum of the individual forces.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got no Wii at the moment, but I think I will give Orbital a go when I get home *Grab eyepatch and sailer's hat*

splattergnome said:
Considering that the game never recieved a release outside of Japan, it should be forgiven - at least this way the game will recieve much more appreciation.
It's not like the original got much exposure in Japan, anyway. A while ago in a sales thread we noticed that no Bit Generation game ever made a weekly Top 30 or yearly Top 500.

bryehn

Orbient and it's music are as awesome (awesome-er even) than I remember. Looks way better than it did playing on a Game Boy Player too. Got I hope Dotstream and Soundvoyager are the other two coming.

ksamedi

leroy hacker said:
Edit: I just dled Orbient. It is only 126 blocks. It uses the A and B buttons.

I'm pre-emptively posting a guide I wrote last year to playing Orbital to help orient new players, slightly updated based on Orbient.

In most games, you directly control your character's velocity, while in this game you directly control your acceleration, via gravity. That is the main reason why the controls in Orbital are so confusing. Frequently you need to ignore the buttons and simply enjoy the music as your planet floats through space towards its destination, once you have it lined up with something.

When you don't hold either button down, you're moving at a constant velocity(unless you're in orbit-but more on that later). This is key-you don't need to be holding down any button most of the time. Pressing the attract button turns on your mass, and all of the bodies in the area will exert forces on you in accordance with newton's law. With the repel button, your mass is treated as negative-this reverses the directions of the force and thus acceleration vectors. Orbient graphically represent these forces of attraction and repulsion.

The first fundamental gameplay technique is to tap, not hold, the buttons to nudge your velocity vector to be a desired direction and line up with something. This is exactly what you need to do to collect the first planet in the first level. If you tap, the force is on for just a moment, so you can just think that a small vector is being added to your velocity vector.

There is a situation where forces are applied to your character without holding a button-you can enter orbit around a planet if you are close enough(and also moving in the correct direction), in which case you move at constant angular velocity instead of constant velocity. In orbit, the attract and repel buttons work in the obvious way, by moving your orbit in or out. Orbient displays a circle representing your orbit when you move within orbit. However, if you are on the very edge of the orbit, and you tap the repel, you will be released from orbit and continue moving at the velocity you were moving at that point in the orbit, namely, in the straight line tangent to the orbit.

Doing so is slingshotting, the second fundamental technique-to enter orbit around a planet, and then exit it a bit later to aim yourself in some direction(say, at a planet you want to pick up or at another planet you want to orbit).

Finally, you don't need to use the predefined orbits to orbit or slingshot. If one body dominates among the different gravity force vectors by being much larger or closer or several bodies are clustered so that they act as one large object, and you hold down the positive mass button, your orbit trajectory will be approximately a Keplerian orbit-ie a parabola, hyperbola, circle or ellipse. So you can slingshot outside of the predefined orbits of a planet. Usually, since there will be other forces interfering, you need to sometimes release to correct the orbit. Usually it feels like: hold, release, hold, release, as opposed to the tapping I mentioned earlier.

Appendix: High school physics review:
Velocity is the rate of change of position. It is a vector-something with magnitude and direction. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity-it is also a vector. F=ma, in other words, the acceleration of a moving body is proportional to the force acting on it. In the absence of an external force, a body moves at a constant velocity. One fact about Newton's law of gravity is crucial: The direction of the gravitational force exerted by one body on another is towards that body. The force exerted by several bodies is the vector sum of the individual forces.

Sounds very nice. Thanks for the impressions. I'm definitly buyting this when it hits Europe.

bryehn said:
Orbient and it's music are as awesome (awesome-er even) than I remember. Looks way better than it did playing on a Game Boy Player too. Got I hope Dotstream and Soundvoyager are the other two coming.

Soundvoyager is designed for headphone, so I doubt it. One can play it with a proper stereo (or surround) setup, but since it won't work with most TV speakers I think Nintendo won't bother.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So what are the best WiiWare games out there? So far I've bought Star Solider R (awesome), Gyrostarr (disappointing), Mega Man 9 (good) and Art Style: Orbient (awesome). I wish there were demos for everything (or anything, to be honest), I've been spoiled by the Xbox Live Arcade. How is Protöthea in particular?

Top Bottom