• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie and MS breakup, says GI; custody of manbabies yet to be decided

so its just coincidence that Sony has a major announcement within days of whatever happens here

not that im definite that its that, infact id put money on a overall MGS restructure that would result in a unified dev studio

GDGF said:
OK, am I correct in assuming that this hasn't been debunked since yesterday (the last time I checked the thread) since it's still floating around the top of the forum and doesn't have a big fat lock on it yet?

If so, like I said yesterday, things are definitely getting stupid.

Fixed!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Someone cache that Teamxbox page, last time they claimed to 'know something' it all turned out to be a hoax and they denied ever saying anything.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Join us in the realm of....Celebreality....

bret-main.jpg

Will you continue to stay and rock this threads world?

Ashhong

That teamxbox quote says something will be announced before Oct 12? Isn't Oct 12 the day of the Sony "big-bang" according to that French EGM or something? What a coincidence! :D

tak

tribal24 said:
i think there just gonna split into a diffrent studio and make a new ip
I think this is the most logical idea I've heard. It does not make sense to me that Microsoft would let Bungie go that easily. They have been a huge money maker for Microsoft, and one of the key elements to the successes of the Xbox. True, there might be friction between Microsoft and Bungie, but I don't think Microsoft or Bungie would let it get to the point were it resulted in a split.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
thekad said:
Can I get a rundown on what's happened?
1. Guy posts rumor
2. People make fun of it
3. Turns out it might be true, thread explodes
4. Other people come into thread confused, start asking for summaries
5. People post summaries, usually in numerical lists

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Justin Bailey said:
1. Guy posts rumor
2. People make fun of it
3. Turns out it might be true, thread explodes
4. Other people come into thread confused, start asking for summaries
5. People post summaries, usually in numerical lists

When did this happen? I missed the great bang. :sadface:

PhatSaqs

Banned
GI said:
Our source stated that Bungie is “tired of Making Halo, and didn’t want to do future Halo games.” For an unstated, but significant amount of money, Bungie shareholders bought the studio name back from Microsoft. Our source also revealed that even though Microsoft will retain the rights to Halo, Microsoft also has “the right of first refusal on future games.” This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.

WOW

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Des0lar said:
When did this happen? I missed the great bang. :sadface:
It was more of a gradual explosion. First it was the silence of the MS folks here, then MS' non-denial, and now we have some reputable websites posting info from mysterious inside sources.

Also WOW at the GI thing. Hadn't seen that.

gkryhewy

ALeperMessiah said:
This, is the way the 360 ends...

Bullshit: "Microsoft also has “the right of first refusal on future games.” This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles."

Does anyone remember when key members left Rare? Rare has never been the same since. My guess is that some major names are going to be leaving Bungie and Bungie definitely won't be the same anymore. Not only will Microsoft have one Rare, but they'll then have two.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
squatingyeti said:
Well fortified_concept was a DIEHARD sony fan. He seemed kinda impartial to Obama for some reason also. Not sure which one got him banned. I'd lean toward Obama.
We don't ban Sony fans around here. It's in the TOS and everything.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As expected, MS would have first refusal.

But, it sounds like Bungie has total creative control, which is what they want. Given that, they're creative goals may well not align with Microsoft's in every case (and heck, if they did, you think they'd stay)..and you may well see MS indeed actually refuse some of their stuff and third parties come in.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So it begins (again)

the horse's mouth said:
his means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.

Yeah, that's going to be an interesting situation. Hope it's a Wii game just so shit gets stirred up.

PnCIa

Our source stated that Bungie is “tired of Making Halo, and didn’t want to do future Halo games.” For an unstated, but significant amount of money, Bungie shareholders bought the studio name back from Microsoft. Our source also revealed that even though Microsoft will retain the rights to Halo, Microsoft also has “the right of first refusal on future games.” This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.
Holy crap! (if this is true.)
When some of the "key talent" leaves Bungie it will never be the same anymore, I doubt that the new studio will be able to keep up the success (never happened before) and the old Bungie would lack some of those masterminds.

Top Bottom