• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie and MS breakup, says GI; custody of manbabies yet to be decided

FF_VIII

Banned
Acidote said:
Break-up confirmed(in Spanish). Soon everywhere else.

The rumors took floating from week beginnings, and finally today Microsoft has confirmed them: Bungie will stop being an internal study to become a separate company again. Before reaching the estrellato, Bungie programmed several games of cult as the series Marathon (precursory of I pull ahead next to Pathways Into Darkness) and both first Myths, whose property belongs now to Take2. I pull ahead, nevertheless, was the title that catapulted it to the fame. After its presentation in 1999 under the form of a game of action in third person, Bungie was acquired by Microsoft and ordered with the creation of the game that would have to become synonymous of Xbox.

Seven years, two sequels and almost 15 million copies later, Bungie returns to its roots. According to the note of press sent by Microsoft, the separation has been friendly, and in fact the company of Gates will continue publishing the games of Bungie. This, on the other hand, will yield the property of I haul Microsoft, and next to "other partners as Peter Jackson" continues investing in their expansion to create "an interactive series". Bungie, in addition, seems that it will follow very near the giant of Redmond, since in words of Harold Ryan, training unit commander, they will fundamentally continue "developing focused titles to the platforms of Microsoft", giving to understand a relation of type second party (although that "fundamentally" leaves the half-opened door to other consoles, are domestic or portable).

Note of press next: The RELATION BETWEEN MICROSOFT And BUNGIE STUDIOS EVOLVES TOWARDS A NEW AGREEMENT The companies will continue collaborating with a new agreement for the next years Madrid, 5 of October of 2007 - Microsoft has announced today who Bungie Studios, developer of the saga "I pull ahead", will become a separate company. Microsoft will continue collaborating actively with Bungie and, as well, he will maintain a solid agreement by which Microsoft Game Studios will continue publishing games of Bungie, as much related to "I pull ahead", whose intellectual property belongs to Microsoft, as with the future projects developed by the study. The new structure became the 3 effective of October. "I haul 3 more" videojuego hoped of history, broke the records of sale in the history of the entertainment in the United States, obtaining a collection of more than 170 million dollars in his first 24 hours of sale. "From our collaboration with Bungie ` Halo' has arisen, a game that has become everything a landmark in the history of the entertainment" said to Shane Kim, Vice-president of Microsoft Game Studios. "We will continue investing in ` Halo' with Bungie and other partners like Peter Jackson, to make an interactive series inspired by the universe of ` Halo'.

We hoped that our long relation continues giving successes with titles related to ` Halo' and the new projects created by Bungie ". "Our relation with Microsoft will allow us to expand to us as much creative as as far as organization it talks about to be able to create more games of first class" has commented Harold Ryan, Training unit commander of Bungie. "We will fundamentally continue developing focused titles to the platforms of Microsoft, valued much our relation with Microsoft Game Studios and want to maintain it, through games like ` Halo' and many others more". Bungie Studios will continue in its present seat in Kirkland, Washington.

Bad translation.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Posted again for new page:

http://tools.thestreet.com/tsc/quotes.html?pg=qcn&guid={1658AEA3-9ECB-4686-B353-D02657E705D7}&symb=msft&sid=3140&orig=1&timer=

Microsoft and Bungie Studios to Evolve Relationship
- PR Newswire

REDMOND, Wash., Oct 05, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of the "Halo(R)" franchise, to embark on a path to become an independent company. Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property, as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

The critically acclaimed Xbox 360(R)-exclusive "Halo 3" achieved $300 million in global sales in its first week. Released on Tuesday, Sept. 25, "Halo 3" is the fastest-selling video game ever and already one of the most successful entertainment properties in history.

"Our collaboration with Bungie has resulted in 'Halo' becoming an enduring mainstream hit," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "While we are supporting Bungie's desire to return to its independent roots, we will continue to invest in our 'Halo' entertainment property with Bungie and other partners, such as Peter Jackson, on a new interactive series set in the 'Halo' universe. We look forward to great success with Bungie as our long-term relationship continues to evolve through 'Halo'-related titles and new IP created by Bungie."

"This exciting evolution of our relationship with Microsoft will enable us to expand both creatively and organizationally in our mission to create world-class games," said Harold Ryan, studio head for Bungie. "We will continue to develop with our primary focus on Microsoft(R) platforms; we greatly value our mutually prosperous relationship with our publisher, Microsoft Game Studios; and we look forward to continuing that affiliation through 'Halo' and beyond."

Bungie Studios will remain in its current location in Kirkland, Wash.

About Bungie Studios

Bungie Studios was founded in 1991 with two goals: to develop games that combine brilliant technology, beautiful art, intelligent stories and deep gameplay, and then sell enough of those games to achieve its real goal of total world domination. Over the past 10 years it has produced games such as the "Marathon" trilogy and the first two "Myth" games, hailed as classics by critics and gamers around the world. Bungie's "Halo" franchise is an international award-winning action title that has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, selling more than 14.8 million units worldwide, logging nearly 1 billion hours of multiplayer action on Xbox LIVE(R), and spawning action figures, books, a graphic novel, apparel and more. Bungie released "Halo 3" on Sept. 25, 2007 to universal critical acclaim, and first day US sales of over $170 million, making it the biggest opening day in entertainment history. More information on Bungie can be found at http://www.bungie.net.

About Microsoft Game Studios

Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems, the Windows(R) operating system and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse games for Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/games), including such franchises as "Age of Empires(R)," "Flight Simulator" and "Zoo Tycoon(R)"; Xbox and Xbox 360 (http://www.xbox.com), including such games as "Gears of War" and franchises such as "Halo," "Fable(R)," "Project Gotham Racing(R)" and "Forza Motorsport(R)"; and MSN(R) Games (http://www.games.msn.com), the official games channel for the MSN network and home to such hits as "Bejeweled" and "Hexic(R)".

Ben Sones said:
This may be Bungie's philosophy post-Halo, but prior to that, they were a very inventive company. Just look at their last couple of games--Myth was so unique that nobody else has managed to do a game quite like it to this day, and Oni, while not particularly successful, was at least inventive.

Myth is one of my favorite games of all time but it only goes outside the genre a bit more than halo did IMO. It took RTS games, that were previously about resource and building management, and made it about combat. Similarly Halo took FPS' which were previously about sidestepping the occasional shot, and solving lame puzzles, and made an FPS where rich textured combat was the star. Similar changes occurred on both games to create what we know and love.

That same crew is still at bungie, that crew that can tweak a genre to it's extremes, I'm really hoping bungie takes a crack at something new, some other stale genre in need of a kick in the pants.

at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property, as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

So....Megatween?

Soooo....

MS to get first refusal on future titles
Will publish Bungie's 360 games

What about handheld market...I mean if Bungie want to make Halo DS (finally!) I'm guessing that MS will let them..

Seems a somewhat bastardized second party relationship.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
neo-says-whoa.jpg

deftangel

took a programming course
Dave Long said:
I think you're putting too much stock in the sour grapes from Sony and Microsoft this generation. Nintendo sure as heck isn't going to stop producing hardware when they can make it profitable and still sell piles of it.

Sony and Microsoft's financial failures in gaming are of their own making. Both companies overshot the technical specifications that a new generation required and are paying for it now with expensive to produce machines that don't show a big enough increase in visual fidelity unless you also invest in a new TV to view them on. Then they're backing up their hardware with samey games that aren't going to appeal to anyone outside the base that bought an Xbox in the last generation.

Sony's been ridiculously short sighted here. They're making games that appeal to Xbox customers and they don't seem to have any of the things that appealed to PlayStation 2 owners.

I agree with all these points. Microsoft have successfully goaded Sony into fighting the console war on their terms. When the shouting is over the end result will be a bloody low-scoring stalemate whilst Nintendo sweep everything up.

This would totally suit Microsoft because they got into this business to stop Sony and that is what they will have done.

The next generation, however, both Sony & MS would be CRAZY to fight on the same terms. Nintendo however will carry right on making their own hardware no matter what the other two do because if they're making money on hardware from day 1, they can co-exist with anything the other two might concoct individually or between them if they keep producing exclusive compelling content.

PhatSaqs

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Like what? (This thread is probably going to get locked now...)

Bungie said:
This exciting evolution of our relationship with Microsoft will enable us to expand both Tcreatively and organizationally in our mission to create world-class games.
What was stopping them from doing this under the old structure?

Why now?

What's MSs stake in the company?

How does that affect the possibility of deving for other platforms?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
artredis1980 said:
Microsoft will make Bungie 2nd Party

* Microsoft will own around 45% of Bungie stocks
* Bungie will become a public gaming company like Rockstar and Epic
* Bungie will be allowed to create thier own engine and thier own games for any console/system they want
* If Bungie makes a game for any other console other than MS, MS will still get royalty $ from the profits obtained from that game
* Microsoft will have majority rights in the board room and financial decision making of Bungie
* Bungie is now allowed to make games for Nintendo and Sony but it also needs to be on Xbox 360 as well
* Microsoft made this financial decision as Gamers are more likely to buy 360 games than PS3/WII games per system
* An Independent Bungie will be more valuable than a Microsoft owned Bungie, More games are potentially to be sold on 360 with an independent Bungie
* Microsoft has all rights to Halo, ONI and Myth, Bungie will develop Halo for Microsoft and it will be published by Microsoft.
* Bungie will develop 2 more Halo games in Collaboration with WETA published by Microsoft
* The only games Microsoft will not have exclusive rights for are the ones which are new IPs.

I as well call bullshit on this. It was my understanding that Bungie sold the rights to myth before M$ even thought about buying them....I could be wrong but thats what I remember.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Calm Killer said:
I as well call bullshit on this. It was my understanding that Bungie sold the rights to myth before M$ even thought about buying them....I could be wrong but thats what I remember.

Take2 owns Myth and Oni. That post was largely obvious combined with bullshit.

FIREBABY

Gattsu25 said:
Don't ravage your ass too hard, nowscan?
:lol Also what I find funny is the fact that someone pulled Rare out of their ass, to do Halo4. One other question to the Halo experts. When was it ever anounced that Halo was going to be a trilogy? I remember when the first one came out, there was no mention of "trilogy" anywhere.

PhatSaqs said:
What was stopping them from doing this under the old structure?

Why now?

What's MSs stake in the company?
Dunno. Freedom to not to have to pull Halo duty again, I guess. Though, I can't see Halo 4 this gen...Halo Wars from Ensemble/Bungie and Halo games from Wingnut/Bungie...that's already more than enough Halo on top of Halo 3. Really, I dunno. Seems they just wanted more creative autonomy while still benefiting from MS' fat teats. Pretty great situation. I'm guessing controversial games ahoy. AO-rated Pimps at Sea, I guess.

Hey, look, it's Stinkles. Explain, please.

Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property, as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

"We will continue to develop with our primary focus on Microsoft(R) platforms; we greatly value our mutually prosperous relationship with our publisher, Microsoft Game Studios; and we look forward to continuing that affiliation through 'Halo' and beyond."

Bungie Studios will remain in its current location in Kirkland, Wash.

Nothing to see...move along kids.

ShinAmano

siamesedreamer said:
Nothing to see...move along kids.
Makes me happy that i don't have to buy another console (although I already own them) to play Bungies games...they would not feel right anywhere else.

Xisiqomelir

Gadfly said:
How about a ban bet with anybody who believes in this rumor? to level the playing field, if the rumor is true, I will take a 6 month ban. if it is false, you take 1 day ban.

Any takers?

*ahem*

Total went up to 12 months, IIRC. :lol

ShinAmano

Here is Bungie's take:
As you have no doubt read on the web today, Microsoft Corp. and Bungie Studios, have reached an unprecedented and exciting agreement – starting immediately, Bungie will become an independent company and will retain a long-term publishing agreement with Microsoft Game Studios for “Halo” titles. The new structure became effective on Oct. 1, 2007. The official blurb follows, but since you’re a valuable part of our community, we thought we’d sum it up simply and concisely.

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We’ll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we’ll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won’t see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is – we’re hiring at http://www.bungie.net/inside/jobs.aspx

FIREBABY

Timan said:
woot, more freedom for bungie studios thats good...

Pimps at sea confirmed for Wii? :lol
Microsoft moved quick. They bought nintendo.

So 82 pages of bullshit confirmed. Wow. Just wow.

Dave Long

Banned
It's interesting for what they're not saying as much as it is for what they are saying.

I suspect Bungie will be back on the PC in short order while continuing to provide Halo to Microsoft.

I also suspect there will be DS or Wii titles somewhere down the line, especially if Nintendo's momentum continues.

Prine

Banned
If anything this means a return to PC gaming. Why would the do anything on Wii or PS3 when all their fans and success has been on 360/PC?

Kinda like Insomniac and Sony's relationship.

So now Microsoft only owns studios in Europe- save for that rumored Canadian studio.

That is truly sad.

So much for peoples fear of Microsoft buying out everyone. They don't own nearly a third of the amount of studios of either Sony or Nintendo.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Thread title can be changed now. Custody of Manbabies has been decided. Offical Press release info obtained! 10 gamerpoints woot!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dave Long said:
Keep hoping the bitter tears are confined to Sony fans...

Eh, I'd love to see what Bungie would do with the Wii. I can see the sales pitch to Microsoft now.

"This game appears to be developed around motion sensing technology."

"Yes, that's right."

"We don't have that."

"Well, we just wanted to offer you right of first refusal. Or Prima Nocta. Or whatever."

"..."

Top Bottom