• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Firefight Mode for Halo: Reach

Wolffen said:
Call it "Into the Belly of the Beast" as a call back to a Legendary run on Truth & Reconciliation in Halo:CE. It would work best in a smaller area. :p

That's a pretty good idea. I'll name it that then and give you credit. :D

Kibbles said:
Saw GameSpot's demo. Lars says Space fighting is not in MP... FUCK! Seriously, they are dropping the ball here. Change up MP a bit. A mode where you attacked the enemies ships and tried to plant a bomb in it (similar to Battlefield 2142, or some people have been saying Battlefront, but I never played that) would be so awesome.

Must be DLC.

I was pretty bummed about it too. They could have at least added it for Firefight. I would definitely enjoy that.

Mully

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I'm already planning a Hungry Hunters game:

Rockets & Grenade Launcher
All Hunters
Hunters have 200% health
Tough Luck, maximum vision and hearing settings
No Radar

That's crazy. Crazy enough to work.

Wolffen

-Yeti said:
That's a pretty good idea. I'll name it that then and give you credit. :D
Thanks. That's the first thing I was reminded of while reading your game type. ;)

Kibbles said:
Saw GameSpot's demo. Lars says Space fighting is not in MP... FUCK! Seriously, they are dropping the ball here. Change up MP a bit. A mode where you attacked the enemies ships and tried to plant a bomb in it (similar to Battlefield 2142, or some people have been saying Battlefront, but I never played that) would be so awesome.

Must be DLC.

I was pretty bummed about it too. They could have at least added it for Firefight. I would definitely enjoy that.

Well, part of me wonders if the engine could pull of 16 people flying in space like that. But, like you said Kibbles, maybe it will be DLC. And yeah, Yeti, it would have been nice for Firefight, but it wouldn't offer as many options. Unless there are Hunters in space.

feel

What you're asking for is just not possible Kibbles, since it's a "minigame" using an engine/sandbox totally separate from the regular one when you're on foot/vehicles/etc.

Wolffen said:
Well, part of me wonders if the engine could pull of 16 people flying in space like that. But, like you said Kibbles, maybe it will be DLC. And yeah, Yeti, it would have been nice for Firefight, but it wouldn't offer as many options. Unless there are Hunters in space.

If it were possible, I don't think we would even need 16 players to enjoy it. 6 players, or maybe even 8 FFA would be pretty good in my opinion.

Oh well, Bungie is already giving us so much, I can't really complain.

EazyB

Banned
m0dus said:
Were you in the last showing for the day? I was in the audience and taped the entire match :) (and the campaign stuff before it)
Where can I find this footage, good sir?

NullPointer said:
To whoever said that Bungie was just human after all, I'm really beginning to doubt that.
I know the following isn't what you were implying but I've noticed that people's expectations of Bungie have been really low. I'm not talking lower than average just lower than what Bungie's proven they're capable of.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
No space dog fights? I call bullshit. Bungie will surprise us.

Believe?
I hope so. Then we can be like

"Oh those bungie guys"

9WT30.jpg

Lazslo

Wow, I just watched the GameStop demo with it's HD glory and more I see the Saber take off in that cut scene, the more I respect how much attention to detail the team puts into shit like that. I can't believe that cut scene is in engine, its mind blowing how realistic it looks in HD. Wowzers. [/SpaceBoner]

ManCannon

Wow, small world, awesome that two of you guys here ended up getting to play in the theater today! :) And one-upping Joe Tung at that. Though, Joe's final FF match of the day was pretty epic - just about every awesome thing that could happen, did happen. I'm saving this film, hopefully we can dump it to YouTube when we get back to the office.

Oh so much to answer to respond to but.. alas.. this time I'm going to give that honor to Urk on Friday. The boy done good today, he's officially a celebrity in Taiwan and Korea now. At one point I counted 5 cameras and one TV camera about 2 inches from his face.

I may just try and make a version of Ghal's Hunter game tonight in my hotel room, sounds awesome. (yeah, I'm spending my last night in LA doing email, reading forums and playing Reach on the hotel TV :)

No more live website demos tomorrow but we will be doing a few more theater shows if anyone is at e3 and hasn't come by yet. The fun starts at 1030AM.

This thread has been a great read. :D

wwm0nkey

ManCannon said:
Wow, small world, awesome that two of you guys here ended up getting to play in the theater today! :) And one-upping Joe Tung at that. Though, Joe's final FF match of the day was pretty epic - just about every awesome thing that could happen, did happen. I'm saving this film, hopefully we can dump it to YouTube when we get back to the office.

Oh so much to answer to respond to but.. alas.. this time I'm going to give that honor to Urk on Friday. The boy done good today, he's officially a celebrity in Taiwan and Korea now. At one point I counted 5 cameras and one TV camera about 2 inches from his face.

I may just try and make a version of Ghal's Hunter game tonight in my hotel room, sounds awesome. (yeah, I'm spending my last night in LA doing email, reading forums and playing Reach on the hotel TV :)

No more live website demos tomorrow but we will be doing a few more theater shows if anyone is at e3 and hasn't come by yet. The fun starts at 1030AM.

This thread has been a great read. :D
Can you please upload that video of one-upping Joe, I just want to see me take the laser tagger from him :lol

Edit: Oh also you should also totally let me play again lol I will take Joe's place :D

Kibbles

ManCannon said:
Yes, please. =)

just when i thought reach's skybox's couldn't get any more awesome, bungie busts out the...

SPACEBOX

the upper atmosphere of reach is an amazing site to behold. i can't wait zoom around in theater mode. oh my <3

EazyB said:
I know the following isn't what you were implying but I've noticed that people's expectations of Bungie have been really low. I'm not talking lower than average just lower than what Bungie's proven they're capable of.
Oh come now, Eazy.

Im just curious as to what kind of expectations I should have had. I wasn't really happy with the campaign in Halo2/3 and didn't really care for ODST. So I have no expectations for that part of the game. For multiplayer, everyone is so obsessed with new features, new this, and new that, but all I want is a solid FPS experience. I don't need new weapons, new enemies, new vehicles, or new armor. I just want the precision of HaloCE back in my hands. Therefore, I have no expectations. It's not really about what Bungie can or cannot do. It's about what Bungie will or will not do. And HaloCE is never coming back for me. So I just roll with it. Still, I'm liking all the stuff I'm seeing with Reach, with the exception of Brutes. Did they really need to be in the game? And their armor still looks goofy to me. Gorillas shouldn't be wearing shiny samurai armor. It just looks silly. Ah well. I guess I did have some expectations ;)

feel

25ujlvq.jpg

11hytyb.jpg

2r3hxfc.jpg

2iqiw74.jpg

157ceom.jpg

257lrg4.jpg

Couldn't help myself, this cutscene is just too great, the stunning Reach surface viewed from orbit, the realistic camera angles being used, orchestral music/monks, it's just the most beautiful thing.

Kthreev

Really looking forward to Reach.

I definitely spent more time playing CE than any other Halo game, and judging from the Beta, Reach feels the most refined and best in the series at recapturing the magic of CE. I never got super hardcore into Halo 2 or 3's multiplayer, so I found it really easy to embrace and fall in love with the changes made to Reach gameplay wise.

On the Campaign side, some will disagree with me, but I believe that if there's one thing Bungie can take from COD (MW2 specifically) is that variety is the key to an amazing single player experience. It seems like they are doing exactly that from what we've seen in the campaign demo at E3. HYPE HYPE HYPE :D

RSB

Banned
Actually, I find Halo to be much more varied. Sure, CoD has lots of different gimmicky sections scattered throughout, and that's cool and all... the first time you play the game. On subsequent playthroughs, it gets really boring; and I don't want Halo to be like that, that's for sure.

For me, the best thing about Halo is that one particular encounter can be approached in so many different ways, and can have so many different outcomes... That's what you get when you combine a solid (and varied) gameplay core with good level design and great AI. Halo 1 is still the best example of what I am describing, and I hope Reach can finally surpass it in that regard. Gimmicky linear sections FTL!!! Replayability FTW!!!

Bye ;)

Raide

Dax01 said:
I wonder if we'll be able to put specific Firefight gametypes in our fileshare.

I just watched the Gamespot Reach gameplay and they did mention the ability to make custom Firefight stuff and add it to the fileshare. They said it means they can keep an eye on all the cool modes that appear.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
I wonder if we'll be able to put specific Firefight gametypes in our fileshare.

They confirmed that you'll be able to share Firefight gametypes like any other gametypes, pretty much confirming you can put them on your Fileshare and exchange them with others.

Bungie really did bang up job this E3. MS's conference has been rather poor this year, particularly in light of the competition, but Reach has definitely been the standout attraction. Well done to the Bungie folks, 343 and everyone else like the statue folks.

I've been rounding up as many news bits, video and whatnot as I can and each piece puts a big grin on my ugly bake. I'm really excited. I've been on space bent with a number of PC games like X3 and Sins of Solar Empire - the space-based Campaign level feels like a huge present just for me and I couldn't be happier for it's inclusion in the already awesome package. Never thought I'd see the day I'd be amongst the stars blasting the Covenant in high orbit. So. Fucking. Good.

Dax01 said:
Okay good.

The wait for this game is going to be too long.
Yeah. But Crackdown 2 is coming out in a few weeks.

I watched the IGN Live Demo and i'm disappointed: The only dogfight in campaign will be in this level? :(

Hypertrooper said:
Yeah. But Crackdown 2 is coming out in a few weeks.

I watched the IGN Live Demo and i'm disappointed: The only dogfight in campaign will be in this level? :(
Demo's coming out tomorrow! It's going to amazing.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Wonder if the traditional 'Seat of your pants warthog run finale' will make it into Reach?

In fact the whole question of the final level(s) of the game is really intriguing given that we know Reach gets the marble treatment.

How do you end Bungie's run on the Halo series in appropriately triumphant and celebratory fashion when the game is based on one of the biggest setbacks humanity suffered in the Covenant war where everyone gets mullered?

Unless we'll be sneaking through portals into forerunner paradise? Shield Worlds?

Hypertrooper said:
The only dogfight in campaign will be in this level? :(
Personally I think this is a good thing. Encourages them to come up with something with a similar level of epic for the closing levels.

H3's re-use of the Scarabs was... un-creative. Amazing the first time through but when thought about afterwards felt quite cheap, and somewhat lazy.

Gui_PT

mr afghan jones said:
Wonder if the traditional 'Seat of your pants warthog run finale' will make it into Reach?

In fact the whole question of the final level(s) of the game is really intriguing given that we know Reach gets the marble treatment.

How do you end Bungie's run on the Halo series in appropriately triumphant and celebratory fashion when the game is based on one of the biggest setbacks humanity suffered in the Covenant war where everyone gets mullered?

Unless we'll be sneaking through portals into forerunner paradise? Shield Worlds?

You know, MasterChief dies at the end, and it's a great ending =P

Something similar happens with Halo Wars.

Maybe the end of the game will have the planet being completely glassed and then you see the Pillar of Autumn escaping. Fade into the ship, show the MC in cryo sleep with epic monk music.

Teh End

Gui_PT said:
Y
Maybe the end of the game will have the planet being completely glassed and then you see the Pillar of Autumn escaping. Fade into the ship, show the MC in cryo sleep with epic monk music.

Teh End
It's already been said that MC won't make an appearance in the game, not even a cameo. Which means we probably won't be getting a remake of "Halo (1)" sadly. :(

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
It's already been said that MC won't make an appearance in the game, not even a cameo. Which means we probably won't be getting a remake of "Halo (1)" sadly. :(

Yeah, but they also said there would be no space encounters. And now we have a whole level of it.

We'll just have to wait... for 3 months =(

JMizzlin

But wait, what about that list of things taken from the code of the Beta (magically, I have no idea how it works)?

Didn't that produce the name 'DogFight' amongst other things? What could that mean?

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Eye Drop said:
But wait, what about that list of things taken from the code of the Beta (magically, I have no idea how it works)?

Didn't that produce the name 'DogFight' amongst other things? What could that mean?

There will be a new MP mode, 'Dogfighting'.

You choose your pit bull/staffie crossbreed and then duke it out in an east end warehouse while making bets with Danny Dyer.

Unlocks the Burberry armour variant and the sovereign ring upgrade.

AFreak

Banned
Phatcorns said:
I don't know why people are still waiting for it. The Halo 1 pistol will NEVER, EVER come back in a Halo sequel made by Bungie. They've said time and again they don't want you using just one weapon.

No one ever used just one weapon in Halo CE. What made the pistol so good was that it was the great equalizer. if you were good enough you could down a sniper before he got you instead, or pick off a vehicle before it ever reached you.

The other starter weapons have just been shit afterwards and you pretty much HAVE to get power weapons to combat other power weapons. This is what I've hated about the H series since Halo 1 and by George I want it back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wwm0nkey said:
No one has any question for me since I played through Firefight?

Oh also I forgot to post this (did on my b.net thread) but after the game finished I noticed Carters Visor was BLACK so looks like we can change the color of that.

did you play gen defense firefight? That's going to be killer!

Jurassic Park
Elites and Skirmishers Only
2 Warthogs (don't respawn)
Start with Shotguns and Pistols that have unlimited ammo- DMR and Sniper pickups, but don't respawn and finite ammo
Sprint
Elites have min sight, max hearing; Skirmishers have both max (clever girl)
Maximum aggressiveness
Elites have 150% health and are immune to headshots
Boss Wave: Banshees and Hunters (Rockets spawn for this round)
Nobody has shields

Gamespot vid sucks. I get the audio and a new still image every 5 seconds :(

big ander

Thagomizer said:
Jurassic Park
Elites and Skirmishers Only
2 Warthogs (don't respawn)
Start with Shotguns and Pistols that have unlimited ammo- DMR and Sniper pickups, but don't respawn and finite ammo
Sprint
Elites have min sight, max hearing; Skirmishers have both max (clever girl)
Maximum aggressiveness
Elites have 150% health and are immune to headshots
Boss Wave: Banshees and Hunters (Rockets spawn for this round)
Nobody has shields

Gamespot vid sucks. I get the audio and a new still image every 5 seconds :(
Oh damn this sounds awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AFreak said:
No one ever used just one weapon in Halo CE. What made the pistol so good was that it was the great equalizer. if you were good enough you could down a sniper before he got you instead, or pick off a vehicle before it ever reached you.

that... sounds so ridiculous.

Barakov said:
So happy there will be matchmaking for Reach's firefight mode. The customization for the waves sounds insane.
Yeah, it was not the worst playing firefight in ODST, you just went onto the B.NET forums and traded gamertags and then hopped into a game 5 minutes later, but matchmaking and a little more support (i.e. new gametypes and special holiday things or something would be cool).

Top Bottom