Bungie Announces Firefight Mode for Halo: Reach

The Librarian

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
44,148
0
0
27
Doodis said:
You never know, they could always retcon by saying that ONI covered up the secret. Besides, am I correct in remembering that
one of the books talks about Halsey and some spartans going underground into a Forerunner structure underneath Reach, or was that somewhere else? They could possibly show up there.
The Flood didn't show up in that area
The mine shafts under the CASTLE base
. They were cut off,
Halsey had the base self-destruct
.
 

Doodis

Member
Apr 14, 2007
3,393
0
0
Dax01 said:
The Flood didn't show up in that area
The mine shafts under the CASTLE base
. They were cut off,
Halsey had the base self-destruct
.
Okay, but I'm just saying, what's to prevent Bungie from saying
there is another Forerunner structure on Reach that does house the Flood?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying if they wanted to include them, they could.
 

The Librarian

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
44,148
0
0
27
Gui_PT said:
"There are some other things that are gonna blow people's minds"

More?! :lol
You can't just keep on blowing people's minds. It gives 'em headaches.

Doodis said:
Okay, but I'm just saying, what's to prevent Bungie from saying
there is another Forerunner structure on Reach that does house the Flood?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying if they wanted to include them, they could.
I'm going to invite the Flood to my next birthday party.
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
1,490
Oregon
Gui_PT said:
"There are some other things that are gonna blow people's minds"

More?! :lol
And separate from that, "We've talked about Forge, that it's around. There are some really cool things with Forge that obviously we're not talking about yet, but when we start to, fans will be really excited about it."

I mean, I've seen people in here seriously talk about Reach being the kind of game that makes it so you don't have to buy more games, or at least not very many, for a very long time. Halo 3 actually did that to me: Halo 3, over the course of it's run, chopped the retail games I bought down to a trickle. For a couple years now I've subsisted largely off Arcade (and now Indie) games and a few retail games here and there. Between co-op, MP and creating maps via Forge, I played Halo 3 for about two and a half years straight. Reach looks to do the same, to an even larger extent. It will be weeks before I've even sampled everything the game has on tap.
 

neoism

Member
May 5, 2007
21,865
0
1,055
Guys is this going to be the main halo thread until Ghal makes the Reach thread?
 

Imperial Hot

Banned
Dec 11, 2006
6,433
0
0
I'm totally cool with the Flood being an optional selection for Firefight. That would be pretty bad-ass.

It makes me so happy Bungie is giving the Halo series the send-off it deserves. They are throwing everything in, pulling out all the stops, even the kitchen sink.
 

Mr Vociferous

Member
Sep 26, 2006
2,008
0
0
ascendantjustice.com
GhaleonEB said:
I mean, I've seen people in here seriously talk about Reach being the kind of game that makes it so you don't have to buy more games, or at least not very many, for a very long time. Halo 3 actually did that to me: Halo 3, over the course of it's run, chopped the retail games I bought down to a trickle. For a couple years now I've subsisted largely off Arcade (and now Indie) games and a few retail games here and there. Between co-op, MP and creating maps via Forge, I played Halo 3 for about two and a half years straight. Reach looks to do the same, to an even larger extent. It will be weeks before I've even sampled everything the game has on tap.
I concur. Emphatically.

Bungie's knocking this one out of the park.
 

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mar 6, 2007
13,310
0
0
Northern Ireland
www.forwarduntodawn.com
neoism said:
Guys is this going to be the main halo thread until Ghal makes the Reach thread?
Depends on the Gaf's Mods' policy of megathreads. They explicitly said no mega threads during E3 and I asked for an exemption for Reach and received none. So far, we've all been happy to make separate threads for all of the important Halo news during E3.

I was going to make the make the pre-official thread that would have done us until Ghaleon's Official Thread in September (his thread will last years so no one is worried about threads after this). What I did was make a special E3 section on my site and used that to keep track of all of news, links, videos and articles during E3 including a chat room that we used during the MS conference.

To be honest, I'm not fussed enough to make a new thread at this point. I've been busy watching the news for my E3 section, busy doing some article work for the site and some other personal stuff.

We have a number of options including using this thread or whatever and just waiting it out until September with Ghaleon, using my older Reach thread or someone else making a new thread (which would need Moderator clarification).

We have a vibrant, active HaloGAF community here. Some lucky HaloGAFers were in attendance during E3 and we've had some of their hands on impressions ad feedback. We're lucky to have this community and a few months without a big thread is hardly going to kill it. So I'm not that worried.

Heretic said:
All I wanted was to see Halo: Reach =(

Here's my story, HaloGAF. To add insult to injury, I PM'ed Ske7ch when he asked if anyone on here lived in the L.A. area and didn't get a response :lol :lol :lol

It's ok. I still love you Bungie!
Sounds tough dude, but hopefully you folks will have learned from the experience. Must be tough playing with the big folks. =\
 

CougRon

Member
Aug 18, 2007
562
0
0
Auburn, WA
home.comcast.net
I joined Gaf in the days between the halo3 beta and halo3's release. If I recall correctly instead of having a megathread, people would just start a new thread for every weekly update and any major news story posted at bungie. people would still post in the previous threads, so there were times when most of the first page of the gaming forum were all halo threads. :D I always thought that was one of the reasons that the megathread started, the admin's declared everything had to go in the official thread, no more minor threads.

So are we back to the days of, one post for any bit of news, or back to one of the existing threads for everything?
 

CougRon

Member
Aug 18, 2007
562
0
0
Auburn, WA
home.comcast.net
firehawk12 said:
I'm sure this is old news, but is there co-op matchmaking for standard campaign co-op?
I really hope so. Hopefully Bungie has added some form of matchmaking to just about everything you can do with others. Well maybe not theater... and I could understand leaving Forge out of matchmaking outside of them finally putting in an official 'Forge' competive play (basically slayer, but where one member on a team is a monitor able to create stuff for their teammates as needed)
 
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I think I'm going on media blackout now. It's gonna be hard, but after reading about the flying grunts, I don't want anything else spoiled for me. Woulda been so awesome to encounter my first flying grunt without knowing about it before hand... Ah well. Bye HaloGAF, see you after I beat the campaign!
 
Alienshogun said:
Only problem with that would be getting used to no bloom then getting your ass kicked in MM.
Or playing Halo 3's MLG playlists and getting used to moving faster, making jumps you can't in default settings, doing more damage with weapons and grenades, shield taking longer to start recharging, etc. We've been down this road before but I still say the more customization the better, no matter the option.
 

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sep 10, 2007
61,796
0
1,040
Toronto/Guelph
Man, I can't believe no one has asked about vanilla co-op, but I guess that makes sense since Firefight is the big deal now.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to not include it with campaign co-op if they went out of their way to add it to Firefight, but then again I wouldn't put it above them to just say "friends only" for the campaign.

Too bad. No one really plays Halo for the campaign, so by the time I got to Halo 3 and ODST, I couldn't get anyone to play co-op. It's just a frustrating omission that I hope they fix with their send off game.
 

Falagard

Member
Nov 1, 2006
2,615
0
0
Canada
omg.kittens said:
Okay, I think I'm going on media blackout now. It's gonna be hard, but after reading about the flying grunts, I don't want anything else spoiled for me. Woulda been so awesome to encounter my first flying grunt without knowing about it before hand... Ah well. Bye HaloGAF, see you after I beat the campaign!
Where did you hear about flying grunts? Pretty sure they haven't been mentioned, unless you're talking about when they get their air tanks blown off, in which case... really? That's a huge spoiler?
 

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oct 23, 2009
20,158
0
0
Illinois
www.youtube.com
EazyB said:
Or playing Halo 3's MLG playlists and getting used to moving faster, making jumps you can't in default settings, doing more damage with weapons and grenades, shield taking longer to start recharging, etc. We've been down this road before but I still say the more customization the better, no matter the option.

True, but I would think a change in aiming mechanics would be harde to get used to, that's just me though.
 

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oct 23, 2009
20,158
0
0
Illinois
www.youtube.com
Striker said:
Bloom isn't getting removed. It's a pointless discussion, especially since this is a FireFight thread, and that Bungie has stated it wasn't getting taken away in the previous Halo Thread.

We are talking about custom game settings dude.

Donny you're out of your element.
 

feel

Member
Jul 16, 2009
16,605
0
690
omg.kittens said:
Okay, I think I'm going on media blackout now. It's gonna be hard, but after reading about the flying grunts, I don't want anything else spoiled for me. Woulda been so awesome to encounter my first flying grunt without knowing about it before hand... Ah well. Bye HaloGAF, see you after I beat the campaign!
Eh?
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
1,490
Oregon
I updated the post where I transcribed the Firefight options shown to include the Spartan Traits that can be configured for the custom skulls, from the IGN video. One thing jumped out at me:

Spartan Traits | Traits applied to Spartan players.

Shields and Health

Damage Resistance

Shield Multiplier

Shield Recharge Rate

Shield Vamparism

Immune to Headshots

Immune to Assassination

Weapons and Damage

Movement

Sensors

Appearance

"Immune to Assassination" mirrors a trait you can apply to the Covenant. We know from MP that the Elites have their own set of assassination animations they can do on Spartans. The option to prevent them in Firefight makes me think the AI can perform them on you, and I'm guessing Brutes will as well.
 

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oct 23, 2009
20,158
0
0
Illinois
www.youtube.com
GhaleonEB said:
I updated the post where I transcribed the Firefight options shown to include the Spartan Traits that can be configured for the custom skulls, from the IGN video. One thing jumped out at me:

Spartan Traits | Traits applied to Spartan players.

Shields and Health

Damage Resistance

Shield Multiplier

Shield Recharge Rate

Shield Vamparism

Immune to Headshots

Immune to Assassination

Weapons and Damage

Movement

Sensors

Appearance

"Immune to Assassination" mirrors a trait you can apply to the Covenant. We know from MP that the Elites have their own set of assassination animations they can do on Spartans. The option to prevent them in Firefight makes me think the AI can perform them on you, and I'm guessing Brutes will as well.

Nothing like getting teabagged by AI.:lol
 
Letters said:


Alienshogun said:
We are talking about custom game settings dude.

Donny you're out of your element.
Yeah, he knows. Brian said that there wasn't any plans on adding that customization feature in game a while back. That's why I said we'd been down this road and didn't to push the subject further. Just figured I'd throw the idea back out there since we know know we can ditch the health pack mechanic with the custimization options.

I really want to recreate CE maps for an exact CE gametype for beautiful 16 player online action.
 

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oct 23, 2009
20,158
0
0
Illinois
www.youtube.com
EazyB said:



Yeah, he knows. Brian said that there wasn't any plans on adding that customization feature in game a while back. That's why I said we'd been down this road and didn't to push the subject further. Just figured I'd throw the idea back out there since we know know we can ditch the health pack mechanic with the custimization options.

I really want to recreate CE maps for an exact CE gametype for beautiful 16 player online action.

Yeah, I really can't wait till more on forge is announced.

On a side note what is up with reach not getting love anywhere? I just looked around at some of the best of E3 nominations on some sites and Reach isn't in some of the best of catagories. That's a bit absurd in my opinion. Oh well, guess I shouldn't get wrapped around the axel about it.
 

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Jun 16, 2008
26,370
0
0
WA
www.HaloWaypoint.com
Alienshogun said:
True, but I would think a change in aiming mechanics would be harde to get used to, that's just me though.
I'm gonna have to agree. I think something like aiming mechanics shouldn't be messed with. I don't think that bloom vs no bloom is comparable to 100% run speed vs 110% run speed.

Eazy, I have faith that you'll come around when you get your hands on the game in September :D
 

big ander

Member
Dec 16, 2008
19,824
0
0
twitter.com
EazyB said:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2n9cjn5.jpg[IMG]


[/QUOTE]
That's kind of a dumb thing to think you're "spoiled" about though. It's not a plot point or a location or a set piece, it's just a new way that grunts die.
 

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mar 6, 2007
13,310
0
0
Northern Ireland
www.forwarduntodawn.com
big ander said:
That's kind of a dumb thing to think you're "spoiled" about though. It's not a plot point or a location or a set piece, it's just a new way that grunts die.
Come September, I'm pretty sure some folks will be playing the game and after seeing it for the first time be like "Holy shit, did you see that? Awesome!".

It's like how some folks will discover wildlife for the first time when they sit down and play. "Holy shit, animals!"

Some folks like to spoil everything (me!) whilst others prefer varying degrees of limited knowledge of what to expect. To be honest, if I went on a total blackout myself I'd be over the moon come September but I'm too impatient.

Bungie have shown, particularly with flourishes such as the "flying" Grunts and wildlife, they're cramming Reach full of little surprises as well as big ones.

I just want to know everything as soon as possible. </greed>
 

Nutter

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,949
0
0
Tashi0106 said:
I'm gonna have to agree. I think something like aiming mechanics shouldn't be messed with. I don't think that bloom vs no bloom is comparable to 100% run speed vs 110% run speed.

Eazy, I have faith that you'll come around when you get your hands on the game in September :D
You know I always wonder, if weather you not disliking the mechanics in Reach had something to do with how little you of Arena you played. Funny enough most of my complaints [actual] came from the Arena side of things. The mechanics in ranked environment made them frustrating, but in a casual setting the new changes were not so bad. Now with that said, back to Firefight. Seeing how I was never able to get my endure achievement in ODST, this is a welcome addition. I guess ill have to rely on randoms if Bungie ever does another one again.

Reach is turning out to be a BEAST of a game, with its features, and all I would want from it at this point is some cameo of MC during the game, and the ending to be the Cryotube to meeting Captain Keys on deck; run from Halo: CE's first level, where Cortana says something about seeing the Halo ring in front of them. :p
 

Voltron64

Member
Jan 3, 2007
1,776
0
0
Los Angeles
Haven't had time to post in here since Wednesday morning but one thing I forgot to mention about playing Firefight the other night is that a few times as I was playing minding my own business shooting grunts in the face, out of nowhere I would die and the announcer claimed it was suicide. This happened about three times. I was confused.
 

feel

Member
Jul 16, 2009
16,605
0
690
EazyB said:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2n9cjn5.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Ah, I thought there were now grunts flying around in jetpacks or something.



And [B]Gui[/B], I forgot to thank you for grabbing and [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21881821&postcount=473"][B] uploading the mp3[/B][/URL] from the orchestral intro in the live keynote demo, so thanks brah!

I find it Marty's best Halo Reach piece so far, it's sooo goooood.