• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Firefight Mode for Halo: Reach

Jironimo

Neo Member
Multiplayer Space Battles - the question to Lars was very specific and he said there will be no "Space Battles" in multiplayer.

This DOES NOT mean that they might not have some sort of environment where you could play with Sabres. Think Sandbox with a larger upper level which would give enough room for Sabres. Also, as others have stated maybe they could do something with DLC.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
Jurassic Park
Elites and Skirmishers Only
2 Warthogs (don't respawn)
Start with Shotguns and Pistols that have unlimited ammo- DMR and Sniper pickups, but don't respawn and finite ammo
Sprint
Elites have min sight, max hearing; Skirmishers have both max (clever girl)
Maximum aggressiveness
Elites have 150% health and are immune to headshots
Boss Wave: Banshees and Hunters (Rockets spawn for this round)
Nobody has shields
Yeah, I had a half dozen of these kinds of scenarios worked up by the time I fell asleep last night. I'm looking forward to crafting a Set that escalates in a steady crecendo from pistols and Grunts to heavy weapons, Hunters and Chieftains galore at the end. And a bonus round of all Grunts, max shootiness, Catch, Cowbell, max hearing and sight and 200% Grunt movement speed. It will be terrifying.

Is is September yet? :\

I can't get myself to work on Firefight scenarios until I know the exact parameters. I don't want to set myself up with the perfect mode only to see that its not actually possible.

Can't say I don't have some general ideas though.

And on this tangent, if this is the "definitive" Halo game, wouldn't that mean it would have to include the Flood? The Flood may be the most hated of Halo enemies, but I could see some damn interesting uses for them in a Firefight scenario.

Man, I can only imagine if it's possible to turn up the Grunts speed to 300% and their gravity to 50%. Fast flying Grunts will be a site to behold.

FourDoor

Letters said:
Couldn't help myself, this cutscene is just too great, the stunning Reach surface viewed from orbit, the realistic camera angles being used, orchestral music/monks, it's just the most beautiful thing.

Looking at those gifs in sequence totally reminds me of old school Macross/Robotech! How sweet would it be if the Sabres transformed into a super exoskeleton for the spartans! :D

Bones_Prototype-08.jpg

Thagomizer said:
Gamespot vid sucks. I get the audio and a new still image every 5 seconds :(
I can't get it to play at all, it just sits at the loading screen. Tried it on 3 different computers with FireFox and IE. No dice.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I had a half dozen of these kinds of scenarios worked up by the time I fell asleep last night. I'm looking forward to crafting a Set that escalates in a steady crecendo from pistols and Grunts to heavy weapons, Hunters and Chieftains galore at the end. And a bonus round of all Grunts, max shootiness, Catch, Cowbell, max hearing and sight and 200% Grunt movement speed. It will be terrifying.

Is is September yet? :\
Watching those little bastard haul ass towards me is likely to freak me right out.:lol

Louis Wu

squidhands said:
I can't get it to play at all, it just sits at the loading screen. Tried it on 3 different computers with FireFox and IE. No dice.
There's a 'Download' link right below the streaming video; use that.

big ander

-Yeti said:
Man, I can only imagine if it's possible to turn up the Grunts speed to 300% and their gravity to 50%. Fast flying Grunts will be a site to behold.
Oh my god, turning Grunt frequency way up and shootiness way up and making them have really low health and the movement you said would be so much fun. Just an endless swarm of one shot grunts, so many multi-kills...I want this so bad.

So nice that they are putting Firefight into matchmaking. I started playing ODST after everyone had burned out on firefight mode, and never got to do any of the achievements.

big ander said:
Isn't that just the 2 emblem with the big cog around it?

He's not saying it's new. It's the first time that they've actually shown an emblem on the spartans, I believe. Don't remember seeing them at all in the beta unless I'm completely blind :lol

EazyB

Banned
RotaryAce said:
How long have jackals had heads-up displays over their eyes?
The sniper/carbine jackals have a little something in Halo 3 but Reach's jackals have something different.

2472212856_8b649440f0.jpg

big ander

Zeouterlimits said:
Oh if I wasn't taken... (Aisha Taylor interview by Waypoint)
Actually... perhaps I can follow in Turks footsteps.. :lol
:lol You can't give a guy that window.
Ajemsuhgao said:
He's not saying it's new. It's the first time that they've actually shown an emblem on the spartans, I believe. Don't remember seeing them at all in the beta unless I'm completely blind :lol
Okay, I'm slow, I had no idea they weren't on Spartans in the beta :lol

GhaleonEB

So I went through the Gamespot stage demo frame by frame and transcribed every Firefight menu, option and description that game up on screen that Lars went through. Just because.

Here's what Lars went through; a feature in bold indicates there is a sub-menu to drill into. An item not bolded means it's a toggle or features a selectable set of options (100%, 50%, etc.). If there's not a description next to something, then Lars didn't scroll down to it. A few notes at the end.

##################################################

Firefight Settings | Customize the Firefight Game Options

Wave Properties | These settings control which enemies spawn in each Wave.

Round 1 Wave Properties | These settings control which enemies spawn in the first Round of each Set.

Skulls | Enable or disable Skulls for this Round.

Red | The effects of the Red Skull are customizable.

Blue | The effects of the Blue Skull are customizable.

Yellow | The effects of the Yellow Skull are customizable.

Mythic | Enemies are more durable. Twice as durable, in fact.

Catch

Tough Luck

Famine

Cloud

Tilt

Black Eye

Grunt Birthday

Cowbell

IWHBYD​

Initial Wave | These settings control which enemies spawn in the first Wave of the Round.

Uses Dropship (Enabled) | Controls whether these enemies arrive via dropship when possible.

Squad Selection Order (Random) | Each Wave selects a random squad.

Squad 1 | One of the three squad types that may appear in the initial Wave.

Jackal Patrol | Jackals supported by Grunts.

Jackals | Jackal defensive infantry.

Skirmisher Infantry | Skirmishers Supported by Jackals

Skirmisher Patrol | Skirmishers and the Grunts they barely tolorate.

Skirmishers | Skirmishers, the deadliest of the Jackal troops.

Hunter Kill Team | Hunters supported by an Elite kill team.

Hunter Strike Team | Hunters supported by an Elite strike team.

Hunter Tactical | Hunters supported by Skirmishers.

Hunter Infantry | Hunters Supported by Jackals

Hunter Patrol | Hunters, with Grunts underfoot.

Hunters | Hunters, the Covenant's heaviest shock troops.

Brute Kill Team | A Brute kill team lead by a chieftain.

Brute Chieftains | The Brutes who keep other Brutes in line.

Grunts | More Grunts than you can handle. Well...

Heretic Heavy | Elites who won't turn down a good explosion.

Heretics | Elites experimenting with Human weapons.

Jackal Snipers | Jackal Snipers, doom of the slow and inattentive.

Squad 2

Squad 3

Main Waves

Boss Wave

Round 2 Wave Properties

Round 3 Wave Properties

Bonus Round Wave Properties

Wave Limit (One Round) | Spartans must survive this long to win.

Time Limit (12 Minutes) | How long the game goes before switching or ending.

Generator Properties | These settings control whether generator objects are present

Scenario Settings | These settings control some of the objects that appear on the map.

Custom Skull Settings | Configure the Skulls enabled in each Round.

Red Skull Settings| Configure the effects of the Red Skull.

Spartan Traits | Traits applied to Spartan players.

Shields and Health

Damage Resistance

Shield Multiplier

Shield Recharge Rate

Shield Vamparism

Immune to Headshots

Immune to Assassination​

Weapons and Damage

Movement

Sensors

Appearance

Wave Traits | Traits applied to the Wave of Covenant attackers.

Damage Modifier (0%, 25%, 50%, 90%, Unchanged) | Determines how much more (or less) damage the AI does.

Damage Resistance | Determines how much more (or less) resistant to damage the AI is.

Shootiness | These settings control how the AI uses weapons.

Grenades | These settings control how the AI uses grenades.

Vision | These settings control how well the AI sees.

Hearing | These settings control how well the AI hears.

Luck | These settings control how lucky the AI is.

Equipment Drop

Immune to Headshots

Immune to Assasination​

Blue Skull Settings | Configure the effects of the Blue Skull.

Yellow Skull Settings | Configure the effects of the Yellow Skull.​

Spartan Settings

General Settings

##################################################

A few things to point out. First, Lars only got a small ways into the enemy list - he went looking for "all Grunts" and gave up because it was taking so long to get through the options to find them. Which is pretty awesome.

Time Limit (12 Minutes) | How long the game goes before switching or ending.​

"switching or ending" - switching to what?

Damage Modifier (0%, 25%, 50%, 90%, Unchanged) | Determines how much more (or less) damage the AI does.​
You can set the damage enemies deal to zero. This was part of the Wave Traits menu, so it's plausable that the same percentage options might be included on every feature of the list. Meaning you could make a Wave that was blind, deaf and does not shoot or throw grenades. Machinema anyone?

All told, Lars drilled into maybe 15% of the options, assuming the Spartan and General settings are as deep as the Firefight settings. Mindboggling.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone tell me exactly what they mean by 'luck'? Is it how good they are with throwing grenades, how another AI can save their ass when in trouble, or what?

EazyB

Banned
Generic said:
Can someone tell me exactly what they mean by 'luck'? Is it how good they are with throwing grenades, how another AI can save their ass when in trouble, or what?
It probably has a similar effect the skull Tough Luck has:
Grenades, Needler fire, projectiles (ie. Rocket Launcher, Brute Shot, and Fuel Rod Cannon) and vehicular charges are evaded more skillfully by the AI. Brutes go Berserk more often and Grunts will turn Kamikaze more often.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Has anyone realized that Bungie has technically created a way for gamers to play psuedo-mulitplayer against bots with the new FireFight? Think about it:

If you want to play vanilla Halo against bots/the AI, just limit the starting weapon to AR + Pistol w/ no AAs against Elites only.

If you want to play Team DMRs/MLG, you can limit the starting weapons to DMR + Pistol w/ Sprint only, no radar, Elites only, increased aggressiveness, damage increase, jump height increase and movement speed increase.

If you want to play Infection/Zombies, limit the starting weapon to Shotguns, no radar, no shields, Elites only w/ Swords and speed increase.

Holy fucking shit. :lol

Doodis

Generic said:
It determines how likely it is that an artificial intelligence will choose you as his/her human. See Cortana - John 117.

EazyB said:
The sniper/carbine jackals have a little something in Halo 3 but Reach's jackals have something different.

2472212856_8b649440f0.jpg
Jackals already have great vision, that thing would let him see an ant on the moon :lol

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
So I went through the Gamespot stage demo frame by frame and transcribed every Firefight menu, option and description that game up on screen that Lars went through. Just because.

Here's what Lars went through; a feature in bold indicates there is a sub-menu to drill into. An item not bolded means it's a toggle or features a selectable set of options (100%, 50%, etc.). If there's not a description next to something, then Lars didn't scroll down to it. A few notes at the end.

############
As this video shows (around 2 minutes in), there are also Heretic Heavy and Heretic squad options, which, according to the descriptions, are Elites experimenting with human weapons. Awesome.

GhaleonEB

CrazedArabMan said:
I might have missed it, but I'm not seeing any vehicle options for firefight, either enemy or more importantly, for the player...
Probably under under General Settings, if I had to guess. That or vehicle traits are set via Forge or some other set of options not shown.

Havok said:
As this video shows (around 2 minutes in), there are also Heretic Heavy and Heretic squad options, which, according to the descriptions, are Elites experimenting with human weapons. Awesome.
Thanks, I added these to the list above:

Grunts | More Grunts than you can handle. Well...

Heretic Heavy | Elites who won't turn down a good explosion.

Heretics | Elites experimenting with Human weapons.

Jackal Snipers | Jackal Snipers, doom of the slow and inattentive.

After that it looped to the same ones we'd seen, so those were all the groupings in the build Lars was running. I'd love to see Engineers return from ODST.

GhaleonEB said:
Probably under under General Settings, if I had to guess. That or vehicle traits are set via Forge or some other set of options not shown.

Hopefully, nothing like taking on waves of Covenant in a fully manned warthog, or maybe even a Falcon. :)

If everything works as advertised, I may never need to buy another videogame. Since I've been left largely cold by just about everything else at E3 (and can't even bring myself to finish Red Dead Redemption), I might finally be able to kick this godawful hobby.

Except for Reach, obviously.

feel

Ghal!! wow :O
thanks for doing that

Domino Theory said:
Has anyone realized that Bungie has technically created a way for gamers to play psuedo-mulitplayer against bots with the new FireFight? Think about it:

If you want to play vanilla Halo against bots/the AI, just limit the starting weapon to AR + Pistol w/ no AAs against Elites only.

If you want to play Team DMRs/MLG, you can limit the starting weapons to DMR + Pistol w/ Sprint only, no radar, Elites only, increased aggressiveness, damage increase, jump height increase and movement speed increase.

If you want to play Infection/Zombies, limit the starting weapon to Shotguns, no radar, no shields, Elites only w/ Swords and speed increase.

Holy fucking shit. :lol
Seriously, this is incredible, the possibilities are endless. :D :D

Azar

I assume it won't be possible, but it would be pretty cool if the dropships were destructible in Firefight, but tough enough that it would take four people simultaneously pounding on them with rockets to bring them down before all the Covenant offloaded.

So Elites carrying human weapons, on Legendary, with everything maxed, are effectively bots, or at least as close as bots as we'll get.

Nice.

Doodis

Shake Appeal said:
If everything works as advertised, I may never need to buy another videogame. Since I've been left largely cold by just about everything else at E3 (and can't even bring myself to finish Red Dead Redemption), I might finally be able to kick this godawful hobby.

Except for Reach, obviously.
I feel exactly the same. I didn't finish RDD either. Life is getting too busy to keep up with all the games, and there aren't many that I am overly excited about anyway. I was completely underwhelmed by E3. I'm thinking of dropping my Gamefly account after three years and just sticking with Reach for a while.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Ghal!! wow :O
thanks for doing that

Seriously, this is incredible, the possibilities are endless. :D :D
You know, the options might even be deeper than I thought.

From the main Firefight menu, you have these options:

Gametype

Mission

Difficulty

Game Options​

It's that last one Lars drilled into. So assuming Spartan Settings are the equivelant of Wave settings - weapons, load outs, player traits - what the heck is under General Settings?

It's not game type, how long the game lasts, difficulty, weapon selection, wave composition or player traits. What the heck else is there? The only thing I can think of are the settings for vehicles on the map. But that wouldn't require a top level menu on par with Wave Settings.
VaLiancY said:
:lol He tagged his own partner with the designator.
"Don't make me mark you."

Doodis said:
I feel exactly the same. I didn't finish RDD either. Life is getting too busy to keep up with all the games, and there aren't many that I am overly excited about anyway. I was completely underwhelmed by E3. I'm thinking of dropping my Gamefly account after three years and just sticking with Reach for a while.
Same here.

I live for co-op modes, survival modes, and being able to play around with bots for a variety of reasons. With the customization in FireFight and the progression system in Cr and challenges, I'm giving nasty looks at all my other games.

I can see playing around in Firefight for shits and giggles with friends, or getting serious with challenges and achievements. I'll fuck around solo (if I can get away with it) while listening to podcasts, or just to warm up before taking on multiplayer.

I would gush, but I'm pretty damn spent already.

Top Bottom