• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Firefight Mode for Halo: Reach

FourDoor

Shake Appeal said:
So Elites carrying human weapons, on Legendary, with everything maxed, are effectively bots, or at least as close as bots as we'll get.

Nice.

Throw in one Generator for the humans to defend inside the base and you have your own makeshift CTF game against bots! Last Spartan Standing!

Kibbles

It looks weird how after an airstrike there are just explosions that last about a second. There should be dirt/debris and smoke drifting around for a bit.

GhaleonEB

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266199/?hd=1

When asked about the features in Reach, Joe Tung says,

There's a lot for people to get excited about. Obviously we've got the multiplayer stuff that people have seen in the Beta, best in breed matchmaking, et cetera. Screenshots, Theater, saved films, Forge, four-player co-op in Campaign. Obviously, an epic campaign. And then there's a bunch of other stuff that we're really excited to talk about in the coming months before launch.​

"a bunch of other stuff" they haven't shown yet, other than multiplayer, Forge, theater, campaign and presumably Firefight since they're showing that at E3.

I'm long since out of adjectives, so I'll just say: How?
Kuroyume said:
They've shown Forge?
No, but it's been announced for a while now. And Joe lists Forge, and then says there's a "bunch of other stuff" after doing so. So I'm assuming he meant in addition to Forge.

Now, he could have just been referring to content, not features. Gametypes and maps we haven't see, weapons and vehicles and levels, that sort of thing. But the wording had me thinking he was referring to other features.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266199/?hd=1

When asked about the features in Reach, Joe Tung says,

There's a lot for people to get excited about. Obviously we've got the multiplayer stuff that people have seen in the Beta, best in breed matchmaking, et cetera. Screenshots, Theater, saved films, Forge, four-player co-op in Campaign. Obviously, an epic campaign. And then there's a bunch of other stuff that we're really excited to talk about in the coming months before launch.​

"a bunch of other stuff" they haven't shown yet, other than multiplayer, Forge, theater, campaign and presumably Firefight since they're showing that at E3.

I'm long since out of adjectives, so I'll just say: How?

They always do their best to create an awesome game that everyone loves.

It's obvious they've learned from past mistakes, like the E3 Halo 2 demo being worthless and other things.
Their productivity obviously improved after learning from such mistakes. But dear lord they've outdone themselves :lol
Not only in the quality of the product, but the quantity of elements is just ridiculous!

"How" indeed :lol

NullPointer said:
Its got to be. Or maybe more weapon and armor ability reveals.

Or, once again, the Flood. Dun dun duunnnnnn.

Nooooooooooooo

Unless they are Zombie skins in Infection. Then it's coo.

feel

Lifejumper said:
I wanna play that so bad. :(

Do the customs spartans say stuff during gameplay now? I think I heard some stuff besides the grunting/panting. Or are those Noble team characters that are also selectable on firefight? He said something about different voices depending on different character styles, maybe there's more to choose for your custom spartan than just between female/male, like size: SII or SIII.

Would be cool if urk shed some light tomorrow on the E3 revealed firefight spartan customizations and voices, or possibility of playing as campaign characters.

Popeck

Letters said:

Do the customs spartans say stuff during gameplay now? I think I heard some stuff besides the grunting/panting. Or are those Noble Six characters that are also selectable on firefight? He said something about different voices depending on different character styles, maybe there's more to choose for your custom spartan than just between female/male, like size: SII or SIII.

Would be cool if urk shed some light tomorrow on the E3 revealed firefight spartan customizations and voices, or possibility of playing as campaign characters.

Those were Noble Team characters, Jorge, Carter and Kat at least. They work like the ODST:s in ODST, shouting stuff like "I'm Romeo!".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kibbles said:
It looks weird how after an airstrike there are just explosions that last about a second. There should be dirt/debris and smoke drifting around for a bit.

Halo has always had a clean look, no smoke or lingering particle effects.

Gui_PT

Letters said:

Do the customs spartans say stuff during gameplay now? I think I heard some stuff besides the grunting/panting. Or are those Noble Six characters that are also selectable on firefight? He said something about different voices depending on different character styles, maybe there's more to choose for your custom spartan than just between female/male, like size: SII or SIII.

Yes, you can hear 1st person voices

Wizman23

Banned
So I wonder if these insane amount of customization options creep into the campaign.....

Bungie seriously has the game of forever here if they properly support the daily/weekly/monthly challenges. I'm extremely interested to see how robust the challenge system is.

The Crawf

I got the impression from one of the vidocs that the covenant wouldn't be speaking English in Reach (it was Marty, I'm sure). Yet one of the elites (just after the second drop pod lands) says "Shoot him" on the beach scene from the Gamespot stagedemo. Or I could be going mad?

Unlocking sets of character dialogue with XP would be pretty cool. Also: emblems. Also: weapon skins. Also: different weapons in your character's hands when viewed in the lobby.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Lamonster said:
Wait so I assume there will be Flood in this game, right?

No one knows, but Urk made a comment about a week ago that I pointed out could mean that there will be zombie/flood skins for infection mode, so it's a possibility.

Alienshogun said:
No one knows, but Urk made a comment about a week ago that I pointed out could mean that there will be zombie/flood skins for infection mode, so it's a possibility.
I'm gonna assume they'll pop out halfway through the campaign, as a "surprise" like in Halo 1.

I'm surprised to see the Plasma Rifle; I though the Plasma Repeater was to have replaced it entirely. It's infinitely superior to any iteration of the Rifle (save perhaps for the one in CE), and with dual-wielding being removed, it's hard for me to see why the Rifle is here-- especially given Reach's emphasis on having distinct roles for each weapon. I take it we can still use the Repeater in Campaign and Firefight?

EazyB

Banned
Spaceman Spiff said:
I'm surprised to see the Plasma Rifle; I though the Plasma Repeater was to have replaced it entirely. It's infinitely superior to any iteration of the Rifle (save perhaps for the one in CE), and with dual-wielding being removed, it's hard for me to see why the Rifle is here-- especially given Reach's emphasis on having distinct roles for each weapon. I take it we can still use the Repeater in Campaign and Firefight?
The plasma rifle is campaign only as, like you said, the plasma repeater is superior in every way. Bungie tends to give the AI weapons with relatively slow projectiles as it's more fun to fight against. That's why the plasma rifle is still in the campaign while the repeater is MP only.

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, the only things I think he could be referring to are a flood form or some Reach wildlife that "tumbles."

GhaleonEB

Spaceman Spiff said:
Plasma Repeater: Multiplayer
Plasma Rifle: Firefight and Campaign

The Repeater's shots travel a bit too fast and do too much damage for combat against AI. All the Covenant weapons other than the sniper rifles have travel time so they can be dodged, as with the Plasma Rifle. But Bungie wanted an AR equivalent on the Covenant side for MP, so they made the Plasma Repeater.

Shake Appeal said:
It is 99% likely they will not.
$10 says we'll see at least a tiny seedling form somewhere. What are they called again? Those little undead scrubbing bubbles?

* $10 in non-existent internet bro-cash only.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Doesn't make any sense for there to exist flood here in this game, goes against the lore established in previous Halo games.

EazyB said:
The plasma rifle is campaign only as, like you said, the plasma repeater is superior in every way. Bungie tends to give the AI weapons with relatively slow projectiles as it's more fun to fight against. That's why the plasma rifle is still in the campaign while the repeater is MP only.

GhaleonEB said:
Plasma Repeater: Multiplayer
Plasma Rifle: Firefight and Campaign

The Repeater's shots travel a bit too fast and do too much damage for combat against AI. All the Covenant weapons other than the sniper rifles have travel time so they can be dodged, as with the Plasma Rifle. But Bungie wanted an AR equivalent on the Covenant side for MP, so they made the Plasma Repeater.

I see. Seems needlessly confusing to me. I can't see how it wouldn't be easier to simply tone down the speed of the Repeater's shots when AI is using it if that's the big issue, but I suppose that would bring up issues like seemingly inconsistent weapon performance.

From the (very) little I played with it in the Beta, the Repeater felt fantastic, and I was looking forward to basking in the glow of its awesomeness in every mode, without having to be traumatized by the post-CE ineffectiveness of the Plasma Rifle.

Gui_PT

WrikaWrek said:
Doesn't make any sense for there to exist flood here in this game, goes against the lore established in previous Halo games.

There's flood in Halo Wars. And that game takes place...what? 20 years before Halo CE?

But I don't think The Flood will be a part of this game.

WrikaWrek said:
Reach is essentially carving out a new niche in the canon anyways, so Flood could easily be there. I'm SURE we'll stumble onto some Forerunner ruins at some point, and Flood likely come along with that

Hell they found a way to shoehorn Flood into Halo Wars, canon is obviously gonna bend for the benefit of gameplay

Sean P.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I see. Seems needlessly confusing to me. I can't see how it wouldn't be easier to simply tone down the speed of the Repeater's shots when AI is using it if that's the big issue, but I suppose that would bring up issues like seemingly inconsistent weapon performance.

From the (very) little I played with it in the Beta, the Repeater felt fantastic, and I was looking forward to basking in the glow of its awesomeness in every mode, without having to be traumatized by the post-CE ineffectiveness of the Plasma Rifle.

Plasma Repeater is a two hand weapon, plasma rifle is a single handed weapon, IE can be used by grunts and jackals

EazyB

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
halowars1.jpg

Also see Skirmishers and almost everything else new to Reach. If they want to break cannon or explain it away with some dumb excuse who cares if it benefits the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the flood showed up but if I had to guess I'd say they wont. I think the flood could be pretty cool in Reach if they built on top of their Halo 3 mechanics though. Also I want to see fucking huge flood forms, some even being scarab-esque. Speaking of scarabs, I want more of those types of encounters and I want them in Firefight as well.

flood_juggernaut2.jpg

Just a random thought but it'd be awesome if the fatty flood forms worked like boomers in that them exploding on the player attracted a ton of agro. You should also be able to melee them away from you.

Raide

Maybe I am the only one but I love the Flood in Halo:CE. Elites are smart and tactical, Grunts are funny and pretty mindless...the flood was just a single minded killing machine. The shift from Covenant fight to battling the Flood was a nice change. The little popcorn ones hanging onto you, the big fatties that exploded when you shot them too much. :lol There was a very different feel when fighting the Flood in CE, so with Reach heading back in that direction, it would be nice to see the Flood return to their roots.

Plus I want to play Firefight against the Flood. :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
I understand breaking canon to benefict gameplay, but how exactly does facing the flood yet once again, and go through again the borefest of having to kill them improve the experience?

Flood was interesting in Halo 1, annoying in Halo 2, and tiresome in Halo 3. I guess they wanna go another level, and start making me angry!

Raide said:
Maybe I am the only one but I love the Flood in Halo:CE. Elites are smart and tactical, Grunts are funny and pretty mindless...the flood was just a single minded killing machine. The shift from Covenant fight to battling the Flood was a nice change. The little popcorn ones hanging onto you, the big fatties that exploded when you shot them too much. :lol There was a very different feel when fighting the Flood in CE, so with Reach heading back in that direction, it would be nice to see the Flood return to their roots.

Plus I want to play Firefight against the Flood. :D
I think there's a chance we'll see Flood in Firefight (and maybe, maybe MP in Zombies), but I don't think we'll see the Flood in campaign.

GhaleonEB

WrikaWrek said:
I understand breaking canon to benefict gameplay, but how exactly does facing the flood yet once again, and go through again the borefest of having to kill them improve the experience?

Flood was interesting in Halo 1, annoying in Halo 2, and tiresome in Halo 3. I guess they wanna go another level, and start making me angry!
I enjoyed them because of the three-way battles they facilitated, and for their ability to infect and regenerate bodies in Halo 3. Both of which could be incredible in Firefight.

They also added variety to the combat late in the game, but with both Brutes and Elites in Reach, I don't see that being an issue.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
The following is mostly irrelevant to what you guys are talking about:

DON'T TELL LUKE, HE'LL INFLATE IT

That is all.

Doodis

Dax01 said:
I think there's a chance we'll see Flood in Firefight (and maybe, maybe MP in Zombies), but I don't think we'll see the Flood in campaign.
You never know, they could always retcon by saying that ONI covered up the secret. Besides, am I correct in remembering that
one of the books talks about Halsey and some spartans going underground into a Forerunner structure underneath Reach, or was that somewhere else? They could possibly show up there.

Havok

Shishka said:
The following is mostly irrelevant to what you guys are talking about:

DON'T TELL LUKE, HE'LL INFLATE IT

That is all.
So there's a level where you fight Luke's ego? Nice.

:p

DodgerSan

Doodis said:
You never know, they could always retcon by saying that ONI covered up the secret. Besides, am I correct in remembering that
one of the books talks about Halsey and some spartans going underground into a Forerunner structure underneath Reach, or was that somewhere else? They could possibly show up there.

You're remembering
the shield world in Ghosts of Onyx

Havok

DodgerSan said:
You're remembering
the shield world in Ghosts of Onyx

No,
there was totally a section in Fall of Reach where they searched some Forerunner catacombs underneath CASTLE base. It was where they found the crystal.

Top Bottom