• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Marathon | PlayStation Showcase

Arsic

Gold Member
Can’t believe the limited edition Merch on the Bungie store wants $77.77 for a fucking t shirt.

:/ I thought it would go down in price with some kind of code or some shit but nope .

Solarstrike

"...pvp extraction shooter. compete for survival, riches, and renown"

Joaquin Phoenix Thumbs Down GIF

I know a lot of people are crapping all over this but I personally enjoy PvP Extraction. DMZ has really brought me round to them. My only complaint with DMZ is that it's half-baked, the missions are unimaginative and not inspiring at all. Hopefully Bungie can turn this genre into something really special, they're going to have to release multiple maps from the get go and provide enemies more engaging than the brain-dead ones in DMZ.

Last edited:

Crayon

So is Sony San Diego publishing The Show on Xbox and Switch, or is Sony doing it? Does it matter?

We all know Sony desperately wants to stop the Xbox port. Admittedly I'm surprised Sony didn't tell Bungie to fuck off, it's what I expect from Sony.

They are multi billion dollar companies, not forum smacktards. Given that they agreed to release cross platform, it's more likely Sony bought Bungie because they shit money and give them an instant foot in the service game segment. A high profile online shooter is something that can still sell on xb. Plus ps and xb are not exactly in a neck and neck race for content. There practically nothing to be gained from withholding it

Ronin_7

Banned
Can’t believe the limited edition Merch on the Bungie store wants $77.77 for a fucking t shirt.

:/ I thought it would go down in price with some kind of code or some shit but nope .
I wanted to buy one but doesn't seem like they ship to EU & prices are crazy.

StueyDuck

To all the fans of marathon out there. I never played the franchise, have only consumed it via reviews and video essays and such.

Is there anything here that is related to it in anyway other than the iconography. Yes I know it's a PvP shooter, but bungie are usually so good with lore and story so like for the fans is there any like "whoa dudes in the background you can see the eye of gubligek" or some shit like that 🤣.

Any reason to get invested in the previous games lore and story based upon what was in the trailer. Other than memberberries which is all I've seen people mention

8BiTw0LF

Banned
After watching the ViDoc I'm super pumped for this! Scoreboards and 'worlds first' to unlock new segments of maps for all players.

Pelta88

Jack saying he sees a ton of potential due to the dev and genre is music to my ears.

However, we were saying it way before him. He copied / pasted our discussion and presented it in vid format :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gudji

Just a guess:

- D2 the final shape presentation in august/September (or the time period bungie usually does it which I don't remember)
- D2 tfs release sometime early 2024
- Marathon alpha around July 2024 and beta in the following months with possibly a release in late 2024

RickMasters

It’s nothing like Halo, it’s an extraction pvp gsme. More like a Battle Royale than anything Halo.
Its like people are not understanding this part. Its no more a 'halo killer' than destiny was. how many IPs will bungie have to make before people realise bungie are no longer chasing that ghost. We live in an era where COD is the overlord of FPS in terms of sales.....fortnight is a thing...battle royal is the most popular type of pvp shooter.

We dont even know the player count...could be 6V6, like destiny. bungie was never into the massive multi player counts, so im not expecting triple digit players on the map. Im expecting a tight, small team based PVP game. they speak of world lore but without a story mode im not sure whos gonna be paying attention. I like overwatch but have no idea what is going on in that world.

Im curious to see how they intend to build lore in a competitive enviroment where you spend most of your time trying not to die. i wont be opening terminals mid match for the sake of giving an opposing team an easy kill... so how will they deliver the lore/story. maybe all we get is apex/fortnight/overwatch style CGI cutscenes, that really only serve as teasers, that will beg for a single player mode to tell the story properly. OG marathon had a story mode. jus sayin...

I like the design/art style though. visually its not breaking any new ground but as usually with bungie games they know how to really create some pretty worlds that make you stop and take in the details. I can deffo see that from what they have shown so far. but what will it play like and will it hold peoples attention? I kind of tuned out of destiny due to just feeling fatigued with the game after years of playing it and never missing a season. they build their games quite robust so i know ill be into it. I just hope they dont bring over the practice of weapon grinding. made destiny start to feel like a chore or repetition. the raid are fun if you got a full party but the seasonal stuff was just rinse wash and repeat. I hope they have a better 'loop' in mind for this game.

Ronin_7

Banned
Just a guess:

- D2 the final shape presentation in august/September (or the time period bungie usually does it which I don't remember)
- D2 tfs release sometime early 2024
- Marathon alpha around July 2024 and beta in the following months with possibly a release in late 2024
Destiny 3 announced at Bungie Showcase would be crazy 🤣

Bungie would not have allowed the acquisition to take place at all if they could only release their games on one platform. It was a major stipulation that Sony agreed to. Makes Sony look like the weaker partner in the deal.

No, it wasn't.

Once Sony owns Bungie, they can do whatever the hell they want with them and Bungie's games. There's no such thing as an acquisition agreement that stipulates limitations on the owner on what the owner can do with their newly acquired property. Any such clause simply wouldn't make sense, unless the studio remains part-owned and not fully owned post-closure.

Once Bungie signed on the dotted line to be bought by Sony, they become Sony's bitch.

DJ12

Where are the people who said that only Destiny will be on Xbox an every other new game will be PC PS5 only?
They were hoping that to be the case. Turns out Sony are true to their word unlike Microsoft.

First or best on xbox indeed. First and only on xbox would be more accurate.

Aenima

Dunno if was already mentioned, but i found out a easter egg on the trailer.

CwTsjfv.jpg

Scanning the caterpillar QR Code leads to what i think is a fictitious futuristic japanese website about synthetic cloning tecnology. I was not able to translate anything from the site and i dont know japanese. If anyone wanna go deep on it the site is: https://sekiguchigenetics.jp

Top Bottom