• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Day 2011 | Bungie Bids Halo Farewell

GhaleonEB

BDayHeader.png

Banner by MrBig

Updates

Bungie has posted a closing message on b.net.

Bungie 20th Anniversary Charity T-Shirt is online! Male Avatar Shirt | Female avatar shirt. 80 MS Points

Steaktacular Live Stream!

Marathon for iOS (iPad) has now been released, for free, here.

Original Post

What is Bungie Day?

Bungie day is July 7th (7/7), and is a day Bungie sets aside each year to remember their past, revel in the present and hint toward the future with fans. Externally, that means they typically release some goodies for the community, and this year is no exception.

What's this about bidding Halo farewell?

This Bungie Day, Bungie is marking the end of their time with Halo. July 12th will bring their final Reach playlist update, after which all future support moves to Mirosoft's 343 Industries. News about Halo will no longer feature on Bungie.net. For all things Halo, including a weekly Halo update, point yourself toward Halo Waypoint. It's been a good 10 years.

What's going on this year?

To send send Halo off in a fond farewell, Bungie is rolling out the Bungie vs. The World playlist on Thursday. Beat Bungie's team by 20 kills or more, and they're sending everyone in the party steak. No, really. Details here. Watch for these gamertags:

The gamertags to look out for are Humproast, Heavenly Beef, Tender Loins, and Porterhaus​

They're also giving everyone in the community the blue flames armor effect and the Bungie Reach nameplate, which had been reserved for employees. Hit the front page of bungie.net to unlock those, which you can only do through the end of 7/7.

Until the end of the week, there is a Super Jackpot in every matchmaking playlist worth 30,000 cR. Play and complete any game for a chance to win it, once per day.

A huge Bungie Day vidoc was planned, clocking in at over half an hour, but it's been delayed to August 2nd.

To commemorate the end of Bungie's time building Halo, and to mark their turn toward their next endeavor, there have been some other announcements and events, listed below. I'll update with anything else that might pop up.

Note, Bungie is NOT announcing their new game tomorrow. Or doing much in the way of announcements at all, for that matter; most of this year's goodies game out in advance.

Bungie Day PSA by Rooster Teeth and Blue Flames

Hit the front page of b.net to unlock the blue flames and Bungie nameplate previously reserved for Bungie employees.

Charity Auction and Sale

Rare or unique Bungie swag, with proceeds going to the Bungie Foundation. The swag bags are sold out for good.

Bungie vs. The World Bungie Day Playlist (featuring real Steaktaculars)

Marathon, Free for iPAD

Bungie Mobile App (also free)

Bungie Aerospace Revealed

Bungie's forray into mobile game publishing.

What happened on past Bungie Days?

BdayFooter.jpg

Banner by Sai-Kun, holsting thanks to Louis Wu

Glad the banner made it.
I was disappointed about the Vidoc until I heard it would be around the half hour mark. Much better than some of the marketing trailers they called vidocs a few times.

As for B vs the World, hurm, we'll see. Bit cool on it this year, it was fun & crazy last year, but was a long day of gaming.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
You're not Ghaleon!

For those playing along from home, the gamertags to look out for are Humproast, Heavenly Beef, Tender Loins, and Porterhaus.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
You're not Ghaleon!

For those playing along from home, the gamertags to look out for are Humproast, Heavenly Beef, Tender Loins, and Porterhaus.
Someone must have had a good time trying to register beef-related gamer tags. :lol

Dax01 said:
Best holiday ever.
It's an actual holiday at my house. This will be the 4th in a row I've taken as a vacation day.

Arnie

Going to be a sad but enjoyable day. Can't wait to see what Bungie do next, although I don't think they'll reveal much of that tomorrow.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm probably going to cry tomorrow. We're losing the Halo I love, and community interaction from Bungie for a while. Here comes the depression.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zeouterlimits said:
Did ye/staff have them well in advance of this? Heavenly Beef & Tender Loins are pretty fantastic gamertags.

We made them just for the event. T-pwn was taken. :(

GhaleonEB

24FrameDaVinci said:
No more Halo from Bungie...how surreal.

Do we think that Halo 4 will be roughly half as good as Bungie's iterations?
It's a new team making their first game together, and the first non-Bungie Halo FPS. They're staffed with a lot of fantastic talent, some ex-Bungie, and they've been banging away for a couple years already on it, so they're giving the game a nice long dev cycle.

None of which guarantees success. I'm going to approach it as I do any other game, with cautious optimism. I hope they pull it off. They've got big shoes to fill.

Kujo

urk said:
We made them just for the event. T-pwn was taken. :(
hey bro, is it ok to idle in the bungle vs the world playlist, trying to get my credits up, these helmet attachments arent gonna pay for themselves

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Sigh. Sad Sad day tomorrow. It's the official end of an Era. I want to be happy cause it's my favorite Holiday (It's a holiday damn you) but I can't help but be sad because for the next god knows how many months there is going to be nothing but silence from my #1 favorite developer in the world.

GhaleonEB said:
It's a new team making their first game together, and the first non-Bungie Halo FPS. They're staffed with a lot of fantastic talent, some ex-Bungie, and they've been banging away for a couple years already on it, so they're giving the game a nice long dev cycle.

None of which guarantees success. I'm going to approach it as I do any other game, with cautious optimism. I hope they pull it off. They've got big shoes to fill.

I'm with you but I'm a bit more pessimistic. 343I has a very very very very very long way to go to win me over. I really hope they do. I really do. But again I'm a pessimist.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mojo said:
hey bro, is it ok to idle in the bungle vs the world playlist, trying to get my credits up, these helmet attachments arent gonna pay for themselves
Banhammer will be extra sensitive in the BvW playlist. Don't be playing with our emotions. :)

Untracked

The best Bungie Day for me was when they gave us Cold Storage for free... (2008?.. Christ I'm getting old!). Although, they happen to fall on my birthday so I guess they're all good.
Shame Marty delayed the ViDoc. August 2nd is a long way off!

<3 BUNGIE

Hey You

Pizza, Redbull,Coffee and other snacks ready.

I am looking forward to eating your steak bungie.

GrizzNKev said:
I'm probably going to cry tomorrow. We're losing the Halo I love, and community interaction from Bungie for a while. Here comes the depression.
Lose Halo?

343i will still update Halo reach and give us awesome Community interaction.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do you have to have a service record in Reach to unlock the blue flames? As I still have not got around to playing Reach yet...!

This is the end of an era and I can't wait to see what Bungie has in store for us.

I'm probably going to do an all-nighter for this and being in the UK it'll give me an extra few hours in BvW.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I need to win a steak tomorrow...

Anyone here teaming up to play? I may be a bit rusty but I'm down for some Halo tonight and tomorrow. Ghal? Devin?

EDIT:
Urk, is there going to be a massive amount of new items up on the store tomorrow? I still have money to give to...charity.

Risen

Devin Olsen said:
Can't wait!

I am going to buy a BBQ for the steaks that will likely be in the mail by tomorrow evening ;)

Pics are justified should you happen to be grilling said steaks in the future...

Top Bottom