• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: Destiny 3 News “Will Have To Wait A Little Bit Longer”

Mista

Banned
destiny-2-shadowkeep-image.jpg

Speaking in an interview with PCGamesN, Bungie’s communications director David Dague said that Bungie are currently completely focused on the content they’ll be putting out for Destiny 2 over the next year. As such, though they will eventually have “a lot of cool stuff” to show, Dague says the conversation about Destiny 3 is one that will have to wait a little bit longer.
I don’t have any good announcements to make about the next bold moves we’ll make in the franchise. Right now our commitment and our attention is to make the seasons that will unfold over the course of the next year interesting and sustain a perennial story arc that will keep players engaged. I understand the question you’re asking and it’s certainly an interesting one. We’ll have a lot of cool stuff to say on that later, but I’m afraid that moment will have to wait a little bit longer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They lost me with the first Destiny. A half baked product that I felt I wasted $60 on.

Good for those that like Destiny but I got burned once. Never again Bungie.
shame. Destiny 2 apparently sucked at launch (i enjoyed it) and now it's so much better.

I'm excited for Destiny 3 but i don't think it should arrive until 2022.

You know, I took a risk on buying both games and was disappointed on both. I get that some people love those games, but they'd have to make big changes bc the first two were a failure in my eyes.
you know, it's OK not to like something.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am interested to see what they do. I played about 70 or 80 hours in Destiny (up through Taken King) and thought it was okay. The art style was great, the sound design was exceptional, and the weapons felt pretty good. The story and structure, however, were a complete mess, so I skipped Destiny 2. I'd love if I could play it as a primarily single-player loot shooter with co-op on the side a la Borderlands (which I also enjoyed back in its heyday).

shame. Destiny 2 apparently sucked at launch (i enjoyed it) and now it's so much better.

I'm excited for Destiny 3 but i don't think it should arrive until 2022.

you know, it's OK not to like something.
Obviously. But I wanted to like them. There was potential. Which is why I want the third to be not lackluster.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What makes you so sure?
they'd be stupid to not be working on it. As good as Destiny 2 is right now it will be held back by consoles. As we move into the next gen why have people just keep playing the PS4/XB1 version? makes no sense remastering it either.

I think Destiny 3 will be a complete rework with an improved engine. For example, Destiny 2 can't even do 60fps on consoles. It's kind of a joke to be playing a game like this on consoles. Also, a lot of decisions for D2 were likely heavily influenced by Activision. Bungie now has the opportunity to do what they want.

i just hope they don't rush it out and don't fuck up the launch. They need to take Destiny 2 as it is and use that as a base to build Destiny 3 on. Not remove a load of features and make huge changes to gameplay and then gradually add them in over the months and years.

Obviously. But I wanted to like them. There was potential. Which is why I want the third to be not lackluster.
you want it to be not lackluster but you've just said they lost you, you got burned, and you'll never fall for it again.

honestly, if you haven't enjoyed either 1 or 2 then i doubt you'll like 3.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They don't really have to work on Destiny 3, it will be the same as Destiny 2, which was just the same as Destiny 1....

Take all the weapons and armour off you, strip your power level and resell you what planets you had previously piece-meal over a few years. Using nostalgia for weapons like Last Word and Thorn to push people to buy very underwhelming DLC.

The balance of the classes is laughable, they give everything to hunters, the game sucks.

they'd be stupid to not be working on it. As good as Destiny 2 is right now it will be held back by consoles. As we move into the next gen why have people just keep playing the PS4/XB1 version? makes no sense remastering it either.

I think Destiny 3 will be a complete rework with an improved engine. For example, Destiny 2 can't even do 60fps on consoles. It's kind of a joke to be playing a game like this on consoles. Also, a lot of decisions for D2 were likely heavily influenced by Activision. Bungie now has the opportunity to do what they want.

i just hope they don't rush it out and don't fuck up the launch. They need to take Destiny 2 as it is and use that as a base to build Destiny 3 on. Not remove a load of features and make huge changes to gameplay and then gradually add them in over the months and years.

you want it to be not lackluster but you've just said they lost you, you got burned, and you'll never fall for it again.

honestly, if you haven't enjoyed either 1 or 2 then i doubt you'll like 3.
If they keep their same formula then I'm sure you're right. Quite a shame.

They lost me with the first Destiny. A half baked product that I felt I wasted $60 on.

Activision is no longer part of it, so they have free reign to make Destiny how they want to.

VertigoOA

Banned
They’re working on it. It’s just not coming in 2020 as originally planned before they bought out their contract. I still wouldn’t be surprised if it was next year anyway. They’re not gonna say shit until it’s time. It’s what they do.

We had tons of leaks with what was going on since before Forsaken dropped, and it was ALL true. So I’d say that the D3 leaks were also 100% true.

The moon and its shadowkeep dlc was originally not supposed to happen.

They have a new, smaller product in development along with continued work on Destiny.

Player numbers for D2 are the strongest they’ve been since it launched now with over a million players logging in daily. Usual estimates put it at 1.3 million a day.

And trials is coming within this season or the next. And that’s easily the most important thing coming for playerbase health.

It will be 60FPS and 4K on next gen consoles day one. Probably won’t need to repurchase any existing content either.

Luke Smith himself said that the wait for D3 will be a longer one.

I kinda want to start fresh. I have too much shit. So I wouldn’t mind a new game.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I think Destiny 3 will be a complete reskin with the same engine. For example, Destiny 2 can't even do 60fps on consoles. It's kind of a joke to be playing a game like this on consoles. Also, a lot of decisions for D2 were likely heavily influenced by Activision. Bungie now has the opportunity to do push Eververse even more.

i know they will rush it out and fuck up the launch. They need to take Destiny 2 as it is and rename it to Destiny 3, but remove a load of features and make no changes to gameplay and then gradually add them in over the months and years at very expensive prices.
FTFY

Texas Pride

Banned
I love the lore and the world of Destiny. The pricing model of content is where they lost me. And the fact that they could make the world's they built for us so much bigger & better if not for greed.

ethomaz

Banned

Destiny Year 1 is still the best Destiny experience and one of the best gaming experience of my life.
The game that defined the generation to me.
I won’t call that ever half backed because it will put others games to shame if I do that.

Said that they should never launch Destiny 2 but just a new version of the game every year.

Destiny 1.0
Destiny 2.0
Destiny 3.0
Destiny 4.0
Destiny 5.0

So when PS5 was release they could create a new Destiny game from zero again.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Entertaining the idea of Destiny 3 releasing on current consoles is insane but if it does that's great and gamers should be excited for Destiny 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No faith in this company delivering anything worthwhile. It sucks because they are at the top of their class in terms of tight shooting gameplay and art direction, but they just can't figure out how to make a compelling game for the life of them, if you ask me. I realize I'm probably in the minority on this one, but Destiny is one of those franchises I want to love but just can't enjoy for a myriad of reasons.

Caffeine

at this point they should just make it a giant expansion. segregating your base and starting from initial sales was the biggest fuck up they did with 1 and 2.

Kokoloko85

I love Destiny. With its many many flaws it still was awesome concept for and it played amazing. I put in 500 hours, raids and made real life friends with some of the best experiences I have felt in gaming ( those nights of team raids and epic first times). It still had flaws but alot of the hate it gets is not deserved as it did alot more than most 1st person shooters.

I really hope now that Activation Isnt in the fold Bungie can make the game they wanted and everyone else wanted.
Its the last hope

Ichabod

Banned
I absolutely loathed Destiny 1. Destiny 2, since going F2P, has earned a lot of goodwill back from me and I'm really enjoying it nowdays. There is plenty of content to chew through and I dig the seasonal approach to content drops a la PoE and Diablo. I'll definitely be giving Destiny 3 a chance once it comes out.

Ar¢tos

It's very time consuming especially when you grind the hell out of it just to get one item. Let alone grinding for more than one item
And you finally get that item then a week later it is nerfed to oblivion because it doesn't fit the playstyle Bungie wants in the new content.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Is this the Warframe thread?

I always wanted to get into Destiny but when I tried everything seemed kinda overwhelming I uninstalled haha.

RSB

Banned
Destiny Year 1 is still the best Destiny experience and one of the best gaming experience of my life.
The game that defined the generation to me.
I won’t call that ever half backed because it will put others games to shame if I do that.

Said that they should never launch Destiny 2 but just a new version of the game every year.

Destiny 1.0
Destiny 2.0
Destiny 3.0
Destiny 4.0
Destiny 5.0

So when PS5 was release they could create a new Destiny game from zero again.
Yeah, as much as I bitched about it back in the "Forever 29" days, that was the time I enjoyed Destiny the most.

Zannegan

Hopefully they'll finally deliver on what they promised in those Destiny 1 presentations.
Still waiting on that wide-open world they talked about during early presentations. I was hyped during the demo because I thought we were only seeing a small part of a much larger world (or one map on a planet that must have several).

Then I got a little worried when I figured out that the two caves with high-level enemies (surely leading to new areas) were either ends of a short tunnel.

When the game launched and I found out that the core loop revolved around (NOT exploring the world and fighting through the new situations you find but) going through the same handfull of missions again and again trying to get better loot drops so you can go through the same missions again and again, well... it was the biggest "That's it?!" moment of the gen for me for sure.

I get that some people like that sort of thing. Then again, some people were pissed when they took out the loot cave, which ruined the "fun." Moral of the story, no matter what it is, someone will like it and will be pissed of you change anything. I think most of the fans and a whole lotta new fans would be pleased if Destiny 3 became something more than a repetitive FPS/slot machine for mostly cosmetic gear.

Last edited:

Hudo

Still waiting on that wide-open world they talked about during early presentations. I was hyped during the demo because I thought we were only seeing a small part of a much larger world (or one map on a planet that must have several).

Then I got a little worried when I figured out that the two caves with high-level enemies (surely leading to new areas) were either ends of a short tunnel.

When the game launched and I found out that the core loop revolved around (NOT exploring the world and fighting through the new situations you find but) going through the same handfull of missions again and again trying to get better loot drops so you can go through the same missions again and again, well... it was the biggest "That's it?!" moment of the gen for me for sure.

I get that some people like that sort of thing. Then again, some people were pissed when they took out the loot cave, which ruined the "fun." Moral of the story, no matter what it is, someone will like it and will be pissed of you change anything. I think most of the fans and a whole lotta new fans would be pleased if Destiny 3 became something more than a repetitive FPS/slot machine for mostly cosmetic gear.
Yeah, I had the same disappointing experience. I was hyped as fuck. I mean it was Bungie! And everything looked really cool and solid. The art design is on point, the shooting felt great. Then I played the beta and I was like "Well, I hope that's not everything you do on Earth... but it is probably more like a vertical slice feature test, I guess". Nope...

Destiny 2 felt equally disappointing because it was basically the same thing (should've been an addon to Destiny 1, IMHO). So far, Destiny feels like a bunch of low-effort projects when compared to what was promised.

And what was really untypical for me was that I gave the game many chances to like it. I actually wanted to like it but I just couldn't get over what they delivered and what they said they would deliver. Destiny 1 and 2 were my biggest disappointments this gen. And fucking hell... I'm doing it again, I am hoping again that the next Destiny will get it right...

Tomeru

People need to fucking let go of the past. What shouldve couldve wouldve. Get with the program. Promises in gaming are never certain. This is it, stop playing a dream version of Destiny in your heads and move the fuck on.

This must be one of the most whined about games ever. Woe me.

Top Bottom