• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 doesn't have dedicated servers

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is probably a notably worse response than the 30 FPS one.

IGN said:
IGN: "Crucible tech, specifically Trials of Osiris, you guys know that is one of your premier multiplayer modes. Are we getting dedicated servers?"

Mark Noseworthy: "We are not getting dedicated servers."

IGN: "RIP the dream. Why?"

*long pause of silence*

Luke Smith: "It's just not an investment that we made for Destiny 2, like the uh... I understand there's certainly a desire for it. You know, the smaller team format, although it's one person bigger in the Trials case for sure here, in the smaller team format in general it's easier for us to find tighter matches. And we're also going to rechange the parameters for matchmaking, to refocus on connection quality instead of like Trials win matching. WE're gonna like change the, we're going to change a bunch of parameters to focus on giving people a better network experience."
Source: https://youtu.be/7FcfEU1FLy0?t=4254

They also confirm that Trials will be coming a bit after launch, but way before the Osiris DLC.

Carn82

So you're mad at no dedicated servers are in South America for Overwatch because Activision Blizzard is cheap, yet you defend them being cheap for Destiny?
Yes, it costs more to have a good server. I don't care. Activision will make bank on Destiny regardless.
Instead of wanting to make some of the money they could get, they want all of it, because their a soulless, greedy corporations who's only motivation is profit and the wishes of their shareholders.
Activision Blizzard isn't some indie dev strapped for cash, they're one of the biggest publishers in the world with an enormous profit margin.
In fact, 2016 was their best year in their history.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/9/14568722/activision-blizzard-2016-earnings-record

Those numbers mean jack if you dont break them down.

For reference, the Activision part of Activision Blizzard — which publishes titles like Destiny, Call of Duty and Skylanders — provided 36 percent of Activision Blizzard's revenue.

If you look at the reports you`ll see that they generate more revenue from mobile games than from Destiny.

There goes probably any chance of this being a serious FPS game. No dedicated servers in 2017 is a fucking joke. Did they fail to see the launch of For Honor?

Refocusing on connection quality: AKA your matches will be unbalanced because we place based off of connection

see5harp

I almost feel sorry for him. You couldn't fit this into the budget? What about all that grandiose shit you talked about prior to Destiny coming out? Couldn't fit that in either?

no dedicated servers no buy. that issue has bitten me in the ass in the past before

and that response is downright pathetic. doesn't surprise me it came from luke Smith

foxdvd

translation "We made a lot of money anyway, so why spend some of it when we are going to make a lot more money anyway...our numbers show that spending money to run dedicated servers will not increase the number of people buying the game"

Hasney

There goes probably any chance of this being a serious FPS game. No dedicated servers in 2017 is a fucking joke. Did they fail to see the launch of For Honor?

Refocusing on connection quality: AKA your matches will be unbalanced because we place based off of connection

For Honor, the second best selling game of 2017 so far? No, they probably did see it.

That's the only part they care about. Sales were not affected so why should they invest? It's a bummer, but until more people care, they're not going to do anything.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The fuck kinda answer was that? So they decided to not invest in dedicated servers from the get-go because they are just going to change a bunch of parameters and stuff? Cause it would be a fuckton easier and cheaper, no doubt.

Disappointing.

Kthulhu

Those numbers mean jack if you dont break them down.

If you look at the reports you`ll see that they generate more revenue from mobile games than from Destiny.

The point was to illustrate they are a wealthy company that can afford dedicated servers, not that Destiny made bank (it did, they made back it all on the first day).

The simple explanation is that Destiny 1 got away with not having dedicated servers and still sold a ton so they didn't bother investing in it for Destiny 2.

Gator86

Are you saying a 30fps p2p shooter in 2017 isn't the bar for excellence?

Guys don't worry, the first game had no prob....

VZOjss.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Oh. Right.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
1UP Luke Smith steps through a time vortex and spits in Bungie Luke Smith's face.

Hybris

I can feel the hesitation and disappointment in their voices. They probably wanted dedicated servers but Activision wanted bigger profit margins...

KJRS_1993

That's an impossible thing to spin.

I imagine because paying for the servers for the huge number of people who will be buying Destiny 2 would cost an astronomical fee (and they'd need to be turned off eventually).

With that being said, it's not as if they don't stand to make a crapton of money from the game. I don't doubt they'll feel this lack of investment in the review scores.

Carn82

The point was to illustrate they are a wealthy company that can afford dedicated servers, not that Destiny made bank (it did, they made back it all on the first day).

Wealthy companies dont spread their riches across all their divisions and usually keep on investing in the most profitable one. Again, I would have loved to see 60fps / dedicated servers and what not, but the demand is just not big enough for them to justify that investment for this game. That sucks if that makes you not want to get the game, but thats your perogative.

Psyonix, indie-studio behind a very popular multiplayer title: 60fps, dedicated servers on all platforms from luanch

Activision, multi-billion dollar company: 30fps, P2P

Oranges and apples and all that, but I do find it amusing. 30fps and P2P in a multiplayer game for $70 is absolutely out of the question.

Nothing of this post makes any kind of sense. lol. You don't have any kind of context of how both games work, their requierments server side, their networking implementation and requierements, etc.

It's just a blatant rant.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Question, is the budget for this game smaller than D1? Because between this, reused assets and putting the game on BNET likely to avoid giving up 30% of the sales to Steam, it seems like Activision is doing everything to maximize profit with D2.

Are you saying a 30fps p2p shooter in 2017 isn't the bar for excellence?

I was more talking about PC gaming where it's at least still 60fps. I thought Destiny 2 could be successful on PC because there is a lot of demand for a new shooter, but with no dedicated servers, PvP will never really be great.

Z3M0G

I'm surprised people still go on about Dedicated Servers...

Besides the Battlefield games, what major current FPS's use them?

Kthulhu

Wealthy companies dont spread their riches across all their divisions and usually keep on investing in the most profitable one. Again, I would have loved to see 60fps / dedicated servers and what not, but the demand is just not big enough for them to justify that investment for this game. That sucks if that makes you not want to get the game, but thats your perogative.

Yeah, it does suck. I want to buy Destiny 2, but I'm not gonna support a game that should have dedicated servers but doesn't.

jelly

They never bothered to try as I thought.

I also remember why I don't like Luke Smith much, PR I know but it grates.

13ruce

Banned
Lol making 100s of millions but spending a few for dedicated servers nah..... Pretty ridiculous imo how greedy multimillion corporations are nowadays.

Psyonix, indie-studio: 60fps, dedicated servers on all platforms

Activision, multi-billion dollar company: 30fps, P2P

Oranges and apples and all that, but I do find it amusing. 30fps and P2P in a multiplayer game for $70 is absolutely out of the question.

This right here. Bungie/Activision could easily afford dedicated servers and still make more money off this new game than the first one. They'd just rather make even more.

Top Bottom