• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Cringe Bungie introduces "Black at Bungie", an 'Inclusion Club' from their 'Diversity Committee'

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I skimmed it; and have read a lot of similar material.. watched videos.. spoken to black folks about this stuff, etc.

None of it is about saying it's unacceptable to be white.

Quote something that is? You only posted the image.. you are the one making a claim that it's saying something.. so where is it saying that?

How many times must I post this? Whiteness is being regularly described negatively. The second consideration is that the image presents those 'white characteristics' as negative. It's the soft bigotry of low expectations (and frankly the creation of a group for black people has a whiff of soft bigotry too).

RScrewed

Jul 31, 2018
I agree that that definition of racism is a bit loose and diluted (as I hinted at), but then by the same standard there should be nothing wrong with a company having an executive roster and board consisting 100% white old men. I don't know if you would argue against this or not of course, but the type of character that would evangelize something like Black at Bungie almost certainty would which I guess is what I'm saying. You can say we shouldn't consider it racism because "if they get one, we should get one too!" isn't the same as keeping someone from being uplifted, but the point is that if the tables were turned you can bet you're uncles wrinkly butt-cheeks that the founders of Black at Bungie would call it exactly that; racism.

But yes, think you're right, not that the rabbithole isn't a facinating and much needed discussion to be had in society, but there are certainly better hills to die on for this war than what goes on at Bungie.

I agree with your points, and if things happen organically I can see no reason to be opposed to an executive roster consisting of an entirely X race. If they are actively seeking, and creating barriers for others races to reach those positions, that's a different matter.

You introduced a new idea here that does nothing to progress to our personal back-and-forth: it is irrelevant what the founders of Black at Bungie deems as racist or not. It almost seems like you wish to call this out for being racist in retaliation for a hypothetical situation that has not happened in which you assumed how "they" would react.

The snake eating its own tail needs to end at some point, it might as well start with us, the consumers of their end product, not caring.

And yeah, this is the tiniest hill to die on.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
  • Triggered
  • LOL
Reactions: zombrex and lock2k

Moneal

Sep 13, 2013

How many times must I post this? Whiteness is being regularly described negatively. The second consideration is that the image presents those 'white characteristics' as negative. It's the soft bigotry of low expectations (and frankly the creation of a group for black people has a whiff of soft bigotry too).
Robin Diangelo is featured heavily in the website I posted, as is White Fragility.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
May 8, 2014
Good to see this thread went exactly where I thought will go. A shallow understanding of race, power, and all the ways they intersect in the workplace. #neverchangegaf

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but sometimes I pretend Michael Jackson was silenced because he was years ahead of everyone in terms of how he thought about race. Everything he said in 1991's Black or White was shoved in the trash by this filthy generation who likes to separate people for characteristics that they didn't even choose.

Relativ9

Nov 18, 2012
Narvik, Norway
You introduced a new idea here that does nothing to progress to our personal back-and-forth: it is irrelevant what the founders of Black at Bungie deems as racist or not. It almost seems like you wish to call this out for being racist in retaliation for a hypothetical situation that has not happened in which you assumed how "they" would react.

Yeah just making a point, like @hariseldon also said; i wouldn't want such a group to exist, at least not from a top-down mandate. I don't know anything about what the Black at Bungie stakeholders or founders would define as racist, but I know what I would define as racist, and it's this, and while they might not agree...I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here in saying that they would likely have a problem with such a program if it were benefiting white people instead of their own group...it's an assumption yes...but is a pretty waterproof one.

magaman

Banned
Oct 19, 2017
To all the male white gamers screaming foul in this thread , allow me to doubt that you experience racism enough in your lives to accurately judge what’s racist and what’s not. Why not listen to people for who racism is like a little brother that started following them around as soon as their voice grew deep and they stopped being the cute darkie whose hair every one petted without asking?
Affinity (or “inclusion”) groups are not a threat. Goldman Sachs has them and feel free to check their quarterly results over the last twenty years. If anything, acknowledging the diversity of their staff seems to have been a stroke of genius.
When there are no inclusion groups in a company, there’s still a group but only one: white people. And unlike inclusion groups, they don’t accept applications from outsiders.

This is the type of horse shit that only spews from someone who doesn't get it. I'm subject to racism every single day, and I'm a white guy. Because of my skin color, I'm lumped in with other whites and therefore I simply must be racist, and I must apologize for being in the privileged position I'm in. I must have white guilt. I must, else I'm not an "ally" of progressives.

So yeah, fuck off with this.

Last edited:

jaysius

Oct 3, 2019
People: Maybe representation is a good idea?

Bungie:

We're doing this right... right?

This entire thing is like a skit from Blackish, corporate white trying to over compensate in a hilarious way.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: lock2k

FreedomOfSpeech

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2019
Why do we never get to see examples of this 'systemic' racism that the whole movement seems to be about?

All I ever see is that any kind of fluctuation is attributed to racism. Never is the fluctuation attributed to personal decisions.

I wish people would look at the government less like a sugardaddy. But then it should behave less like a sugardaddy.

Reactions: hariseldon

lock2k

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Why do we never get to see examples of this 'systemic' racism that the whole movement seems to be about?

All I ever see is that any kind of fluctuation is attributed to racism. Never is the fluctuation attributed to personal decisions.

I wish people would look at the government less like a sugardaddy. But then it should behave less like a sugardaddy.

The only thing that's systemic in today's society is the white liberal imbeciles continuously cocksucking every single group for validation.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
"Get fucked".
That would be my reply if I was a black man and they asked me to take photos with all the other people of color in the company.

Aug 28, 2019

Not sure what posting this image changes.. white people being unable to discuss racism without getting overly defensive, denying it's existence, etc. is what is being described negatively. It's not "whiteness" that is negative, it's the inability for white people to recognize that we need to discuss race in ways that they seem to be rejecting.

Which is.. what you are demonstrating here. You are just rejecting far more nuanced thoughts as "white = bad" when that is absolutely not the point of discussing things like "white fragility."

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what posting this image changes.. white people being unable to discuss racism without getting overly defensive, denying it's existence, etc. is what is being described negatively. It's not "whiteness" that is negative, it's the inability for white people to recognize that we need to discuss race in ways that they seem to be rejecting.

Which is.. what you are demonstrating here. You are just rejecting far more nuanced thoughts as "white = bad" when that is absolutely not the point of discussing things like "white fragility."
The problem with white fragility as a concept is that it's a kafka trap. It's an accusation of racism where if you deny it you have white fragility while if you agree you're confirming your racism. It's basically the same logic as witch dunking.

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
See Hong Kong for real widespread ethnicity oppression. BLM is a joke when compared, it's always looting and havoc news that comes after each rally.

Until then, any kinds of injustice should be judged according to case by case basis not by this BLM oppressed standards bs.

Arimer

Feb 16, 2018
It just seems like the optics on this is bad either way. Either you help and they only did it with help or you dont help and you're racist.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
It's ok folks, Bungie "has black friends", too.

Glad to hear that people can be rewarded with their merit, not sure how well it sits with those who worked to get where they are at to be flaunted as a token, despite their hard work.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Jan 24, 2015
Black at Bungie should be a sitcom produced by the studio just imagine the hijinks they get into

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Except that is the point of discussing things like white fragility.

It doesn't matter what you say it is, what matters is what it really is in reality. We've seen tons of CRT crap and other "white fragility" literature to know what it is. It's not a "discussion" and it never has been.

Soodanim

Feb 24, 2012
United Kingdom
Here's a couple.

Having to use an archive link as they've removed the page - they realised it was a bad idea to say the quiet part out loud.

Now regarding that message of positivity.. imagine for a moment I started a political party called "puppies are great" and the policy that I headlined was that everyone gets a free puppy. Everyone can agree that puppies are great, right? However, imagine then that my party has an additional policy it doesn't talk about so much, which is to expel all Welsh people from Britain. Some people might object to that. Now imagine if I were to accuse anyone objecting to expelling Welsh people of objecting to the free puppies. It's called a Motte And Bailey fallacy, and that's what BLM is. The movement was never organic, just as XR wasn't, just as the cult of Greta wasn't. They're well-funded, well-organised organisations, and in each case there's a Marxist doctrine at the heart (XR has similar messages re capitalism, the patriarchy, etc). I would also question whether it is in fact positive, but that's a matter for another post and I don't want to distract from the core issue which is that both BLM and XR are organisations hiding Marxism behind 'worthy' goals.
Well.

Cheers for sharing. That stuff's... interesting. At least for the original group there's a claim for simple unrealistic idealism in the pursuit of mothers being able to work and while strong communities support each other. That can be implemented on a local scale without change at a higher level, but it only works on a local scale.

But the UK one? Co-opting and taking to extremes. It's by far a worse case of believing in believing in the statement but not knowing of the cause. Except they received £1.2million in support. I like that there's all the talk of "The patriarchy" everywhere with no elaboration. It's just a keyword.

I'm not someone who disagrees with you, and I'm not someone who even misunderstands you. Our beliefs align perfectly. I might be a little more hopeful in the message of the statement being able to exist without the underlying organisations, but only time will tell on that one. I think they're doomed anyway. If we can't even get redistribution of extreme wealth in this world, we're not getting Marxism any time soon.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
The "end game" for most of this type of thinking evangelists and followers really is noble, they mostly do want to see an end to injustice and equity for all, they are fundamentally humanitarian and well meaning in their pursuits...

Honesty I do not believe it.
Their goal is the same as everyone else - power. They simply chose a different set of slogans.
Also, there is a subset of people who get joy from "fighting the power" - once they've achieved their goal they want to start another fight because for them the joy is in the process of fighting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
The "end game" for most of this type of thinking evangelists and followers really is noble, they mostly do want to see an end to injustice and equity for all, they are fundamentally humanitarian and well meaning in their pursuits...

Ever hear the saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." ?

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
They don't have good intentions. Watch the James Lindsay video I posted. It is all about power. Their whole world view is oppressor vs oppressed. They want to destroy the system and create a new one where they are the oppressor.

Exactly.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
Good to see this thread went exactly where I thought will go. A shallow understanding of race, power, and all the ways they intersect in the workplace. #neverchangegaf

Hello,

I'd be interested to hear your views on the subject as to why you feel this is a positive move.

Dec 15, 2011
continuing the ongoing dialog around racial equality and justice.

Racial equality huh? Neat.

Can you direct me to the "White at Bungie" and the "Asian at Bungie" inclusion clubs along with the press release and 500 word essay announcing their existence?

Cos, y'know. Racial equality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

treemk

Nov 11, 2019
Yikes, and to think I almost picked up Beyond Light, they won't be getting another cent from me.

Kuranghi

Apr 17, 2015
Things really were getting better up to about the 2010s, people actually started to forget about this stuff, oh well:

Every person should know that they can be whatever they want to be as long as they work hard at it. Even if you legitimately get oppressed by someone else you can still just keep going and get there.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
If you make a segregated club for black employees is that really inclusion? Sometimes I feel like maybe English isn't my first language.

Reactions: Damage Inc

Riven326

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
United States

There's no such thing as white fragility. Just like there's no White supremacy epidemic in the United States. It's a bunch of made up bullshit.

White people don't like discussing racism because it's always framed in a way that paints them as the villain. That's why they get defensive and would rather not discuss it. Who wants to sit there and be lectured about supposed white privilege and this other stupid shit that only exists in the minds of ignorant liberals?

Nehezir

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
ah. yes. "We haven't imported enough black people to our company"

is there a more fantastic way for white people to tell black people that they're worthy individuals in their own right than saying "we don't have enough of you people"

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Weiji

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Imagine having a problem with this. If this doesn't affect you why do you care so much about it. And if you really think that having stuff like this is negatively affecting your video game quality you need to understand that successful businesses have always had groups like this and is not indicative of the quality of their product.

For some black people however, this could show them what places in the industry they may have a chance in and is a great way to get some potential talent to take more interest in your company.
Lmao, yeah Rosa, we got a spot on the bus just for you. It’s safe, it’s filled with people who look just like you, just take a seat right there.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
They should focus on games rather than people's skin color. Their last few games have sucked. If they are just going to be racists maybe they should hire some more asian people too cause those people can make the fuck out of a game.