• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie reaches out and cheers up a 9-year-old boy undergoing transplant surgery.

yup, however it's a win-win situation because they cheer up the kid as well.
Some people get pissed of a lot by these publicity acts. Just saying.

If it was a lucky guy or gal that won a "1 day with Bungie" contest, there would be no problem at all. This on the other hand is sensitive stuff that shouldn't be stained with 2nd motives. Best move would 've been to keep it low key, hush hush.

Quackula

Having an ulterior motive for this sort of thing would certainly stain it a little, but a good deed is still a good deed imo.

As a father of a 5 years old boy, I feel the pain that father is suffering from the child`s decease. I really hope the kid gets well soon.

Speaking of Bungie, it was a great good deed. Stop talking that Halo is only M stuff. They sell action figures for kids in store, that is no different. It is not like establish an online multiplayer section for the kid. Sure Bungie beneficts from that sort of action as well, but a good deed is a good deed.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Awesome of Bungie to do this. Reminds me of when Pixar did something similar (sent a rep with a pre-release copy of Up to a kid in a hospital ward). It's heart-warming to read.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man sometimes people forget that regardless of many millions of revenue a company have it is actually possible for some representative of the company to actually reach out and do a compassionate thing without banking on the generated PR.

Kids with life threatening medical issues get to be exempt from the "violent video games" conversation imo. This Spartan may never make to an age where he is old enough to play these games, so I say, coke, booze, whores and even violent video games should all be on the agenda if he's feeling up for it.

bangai-o

Banned
the violence in Halo was cartoony and is about as serious as Mario bros. i guess 343 is trying to turn it realistic though.

Mephala

I've always liked Bungie and all but this earns a certain degree of respect outside of just making enjoyable games.

I can really sympathize with the kid because I spent a very significant amount of time in and out of hospital during my childhood from recovering injuries to surgery up to around the age of 14 where I only returned for medication and checkups. While I was in hospital, there were times when it was really tough and as a kid, you don't really understand too much of the details, you just sort of know you can't get out of it. But, when I was a kid, every week, they sent a clown/entertainer into the children's ward. That 15 minutes he spent in my room was 15 magical minutes of laughter and joy, away from the thoughts of unrelenting pain and body trauma. Parents also get a moment of relief and joy to see their child happy, especially if they felt powerless to lift their child's spirit and were feeling pretty down themselves. Of course, this never occurred to me when I was a kid, it is only when I look back on it as an adult when people asked if it was tough and I realise that I've unconciously pushed away a lot of the bad bits and just remember and held close the more pleasant memories of the time.

To those who think its PR related, honestly, if it is, I wouldn't even care. At least this PR made the poor kid happy. I could live with more PR like these.

That card is amazing. I want one, especially with the grunt pic and all. "World domination can wait" lol. So awesome.

Toa TAK

Banned
That's terrible that a kid that young has to go through that, but that's great on behalf of his parents and Bungie to make it a little bit better for him. This seems very genuine on Bungie (of course) and still don't expect any less from them.

And yeah, Halo is M, but whatever. It's pretty kind for an M rating anyways. It's about space, aliens and kicking butt. For me, it was the only M game I was allowed to play because it's not hyper realistic or anything.

But here's hoping the kid gets well quickly.

MrHicks

Banned
the cynic in me thinks companies only do this cause its incredibly cheap PR/advertisment
for the cost of a toy you get the whole internet to go "bungie is awesome"
"great job bungie"
"bungie rulezzzzz"

mission accomplished

thumb

Banned
the cynic in me thinks companies only do this cause its incredibly cheap PR/advertisment
for the cost of a toy you get the whole internet to go "bungie is awesome"
"great job bungie"
"bungie rulezzzzz"

mission accomplished

Bungie is also made up of individual people, many of which are parents themselves. And the reality is, I don't think hospital visits sell sci-fi shooters.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I was going to make a joke about the new Cortana but this is actually really cool. Good job Bungie. The kid must've felt awesome when he put on the spartan helmet.

Top Bottom