• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Readies Studio/Halo Anniversary Celebration and Aerospace Reveal

GhaleonEB

Edit: I'll post updates about what's going on here.

06/30 | Bungie Aerospace, a mobile games publishing endeavor from Bungie, goes live.

06/29 | Swag Bags to return at 10 a.m. PST. tomorrow (6/30) (and new Bungie Store items (thanks Hitnomchan107) This round is sold out.

06/23 | 20th Anniversary PSA

06/23 | New merch at the Bungie store here. Keep your eyes peeled for the Swag Bag, which is very limited in quantity.

Click each image to go to the b.net article with the details on each.

PSA

Charity Auction and Sale

Bungie vs. The World Bungie Day Playlist (featuring real Steaktaculars)

Marathon for iPAD

Bungie Mobile App

Bungie Aerospace (Coming Soon)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Over a year ago, the placeholder page for Bungie Aerospace went up. Bungie has said they are NOT revealing their new IP on Bungie Day (7/7), and hinted that reveal is a some ways off yet, but it seems Aerospace will be revealed shortly. Which is...interesting, to put it lightly. (Also, they released a mobile app today.)

7 Reasons to Celebrate

This is the year that we say goodbye to Halo, but though the thought of our absence from this universe may bring a salty tear to your twinkling eye there is much to celebrate. So much in fact that we're tearing ourselves away from the blazing fires of our development forge to put the last two decades of Bungie's existence into proper perspective. It is, after all, the 20th anniversary of our studio and nearly the 10th anniversary of the game series that thrust us straight into the public's yearning maw.

Beginning on June 23rd, and running through the close of Bungie Day on July 7th, we'll be celebrating the last twenty years the only way we know how - by giving you, the best -blam!- community on the planet, all the parting gifts we can muster.

Here are 7 reasons you should come out and celebrate with us this year:

1. Because Blue Flames aren’t just for Bungie Employees or fans with iPhones. We’ll be turning on Blue Flames and the Bungie Nameplate for every last one of our loyal fans. (Kids, do try this at home.)
  2. Because we just built a brand-new and totally free community iPhone app to keep you connected...and entertained!
  3. Because we're going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what Bungie Aerospace is all about.
  4. Because a collection featuring some of our rarest and most treasured personal Halo artwork will be up for auction, with all profits going to charity through a partnership between Child's Play and the Bungie Foundation.
  5. Because the Bungie Store is going to be packed with Swag Sacks containing random, but totally kick ass swag, limited run commemorative t-shirts, and amazing commissioned posters from a handful of incredible artists, with all profits also going straight to charity.
  6. Because on Bungie Day we'll be throwing down in a 24-hour Bungie vs. the World No Holds Barred Halo: Reach Marathon where we'll be making the promise of Steaktacular a certified beefy reality. You steak us. We'll steak you. Seriously, we're going to mail any team who beats us by 20 kills of more on Bungie Day a Grade-A cut of steak (gift cards for international players) while supplies last.
  7. Because you've been just as much a part of this incredible twenty years as we have, and we simply couldn't bear it if you didn't show up and help us celebrate our anniversary and help send our Halo baby out with one hell of a bang.

The festivities begin on June 23rd and conclude as the final hours of this year's Bungie Day, July 7th, come to a close. If you don't show up, we just won't know what to do with ourselves, and we definitely won't know what to do with this ViDoc we've been slaving over for the last two decades.

See you soon. BYOB. ONYC.

Love,

Bungie.​

Edit: shamelessly swiped from the Reach thread:

ncsuDuncan said:
ip0003.png

I see what you did there. Very subtle, Urk (or Halcylon, whoever made it). I like that.

Zeppelins spotted, Aerospace incoming!

I'll fire up the Bungie Day thread when appropriate, probably on the 6th.

Azar

Is Aerospace what Jason Jones has been working on since...Halo 1, basically? I know he had some involvement in Halo 2 towards the end, but it seems like Bungie's been working on some other project(s) for a decade that we've seen nothing of.

Azar said:
Is Aerospace what Jason Jones has been working on since...Halo 1, basically? I know he had some involvement in Halo 2 towards the end, but it seems like Bungie's been working on some other project(s) for a decade that we've seen nothing of.
Um...Jason Jones was Project Lead on Halo 2. I think that constitutes more than "some involvement...towards the end..." :p

Havok

Azar said:
He was project lead on Halo 2 (and that was the last era that he was really public-facing in the behind the scenes materials.) and then dropped off the map, as far as the audience was concerned, to work on the next big thing. It's been a long time coming.

clav

Havok said:
He was project lead on Halo 2 (and that was the last era that he was really public-facing in the behind the scenes materials.) and then dropped off the map, as far as the audience was concerned, to work on the next big thing. It's been a long time coming.
Project Phoenix rebirth?

zumphry

Banned
Azar said:

Well IIRC, there was Project Phoenix/Breach in between Halo 1 and Halo 2 that was stopped, but I'm pretty sure Aerospace (or most likely Destiny) is the project he's been working on since around Halo 3 or ODST.

^edit: looks like Havok beat me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I have absolutely no idea what this aerospace thing is. Is there anything anyone can tell me or are we all in the dark?

Azar

Dax01 said:
Um...Jason Jones was Project Lead on Halo 2. I think that constitutes more than "some involvement...towards the end..." :p
I remember an interview or article talking about them scrapping most of the design post-E3 demo and him not being happy about coming in to help get the game finished on time. Regardless, that means he's had something cookin' for at least six years.

Complistic

I'm interested to see if it'll come to pc. Though I've got a pretty good feeling this is going to be something subscription based, so I'll probably pass on it anyway.

Mik2121

Uhm, if they're not revealing their IP soon but they're revealing Aerospace during Bungie Day, what's.. Bungie Aerospace? Part of their next IP lore? Another different project? Uhm?

Nirolak said:
Steampunk Zeppelins... hmm...
I swear if Bungie is working on the next "Crimson Skies" title, I will lose my s***.

A nice lady at the Washington Secretary of State's office said Bungie Aerospace lists its nature of business as "video game development."

Not that that really helps. Bungie Aerospace filed its initial report within the last two weeks, so if anybody is in the Washington area and is really curious about this, the report is $5 at the Secretary of State's office.

By the time the files are shipped to me, the story would've broke. So I'm going to save my time.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
ZayneH said:
Well IIRC, there was Project Phoenix/Breach
This was a RTS (?) game where you took over — or "breached" — castles, for anyone curious.

The Activision decision still burns, to a degree that it overshadows whatever new IP they care to introduce. In my make-believe world they joined up with Valve and everyone was happy.

Hopefully they can overcome Kotick's toxicity and produce something that lives up to their name.

ElyrionX

Now that they are no longer a console-exclusive dev that makes massively overrated games that only became popular because console fanboys needed something to latch onto, will anyone still give a shit?

Mama Robotnik said:
The Activision decision still burns, to a degree that it overshadows whatever new IP they care to introduce. In my make-believe world they joined up with Valve and everyone was happy.

Hopefully they can overcome Kotick's toxicity and produce something that lives up to their name.
I still don't understand why everyone is so scared of Activision. From what I can tell the contract they signed gives a lot of power to Bungie, probably more than any developer/publisher contract we've ever seen.

If I recall correctly, Bungie has control over the price of their upcoming games. That's pretty big.

Microsoft had first dibs at Bungie's new IP, but turned it down. I can only assume this is because Bungie was asking for too much power in the contract for Microsoft to agree to it.

ElyrionX said:
Now that they are no longer a console-exclusive dev that makes massively overrated games that only became popular because console fanboys needed something to latch onto, will anyone still give a shit?
Presumably all of the Xbox Bungie fans give a shit. They have for 10 years. And now PS3 fans will give a shit too.

ElyrionX said:
Yeah! Because people played and bought Halo game after Halo game because it was an Xbox exclusive, not because they enjoyed the games.

clav

ncsuDuncan said:
I still don't understand why everyone is so scared of Activision. From what I can tell the contract they signed gives a lot of power to Bungie, probably more than any developer/publisher contract we've ever seen.

If I recall correctly, Bungie has control over the price of their upcoming games. That's pretty big.

Microsoft had first dibs at Bungie's new IP, but turned it down. I can only assume this is because Bungie was asking for too much power in the contract for Microsoft to agree to it.

Presumably all of the Xbox Bungie fans give a shit. They have for 10 years. And now PS3 fans will give a shit too.
Activision has a history of driving companies to the ground.

Neversoft is now buried. Infinity Ward is next.

ncsuDuncan said:

They're a company run by an immoral reprobate who fired a woman for reporting sexual harassment taking place under his watch. They have a history of manipulating their developers and associates for their own benefit, and taking questionable legal actions to achieve their ends. Their modus operandi is to take control of a worthwhile brand and mass produce sequels until the IP is destroyed of value.

That's, at least, my perspective. For a company as admirable as Bungie to be associated with them is unfortunate, and makes me fear for their future. Regardless of a favourable agreement now, such things don't usually stop Kotick in getting what he wants.

GhaleonEB

Deadly Cyclone said:
I also hope IPhone app means IPad too...
From the announcement page today:

So gather round, wherever you roam. Just make sure you bring your iPhone (or your iPad), and the friends you've made in the Bungie Community will always be just a quick, but oh-so tender stroke of the forefinger away.​

claviertekky said:
Activision has a history of driving franchises to the ground.

Bungie has absolute control over its new IP. The only thing Activision is giving and getting is money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hitmonchan107 said:
I swear if Bungie is working on the next "Crimson Skies" title, I will lose my s***.

A nice lady at the Washington Secretary of State's office said Bungie Aerospace lists its nature of business as "video game development."

Not that that really helps. Bungie Aerospace filed its initial report within the last two weeks, so if anybody is in the Washington area and is really curious about this, the report is $5 at the Secretary of State's office.

By the time the files are shipped to me, the story would've broke. So I'm going to save my time.
If Bungie announces they're doing the next Crimson Skies, I think that would singlehandedly destroy any E3 announcement in terms of surprise and awesomeness.

claviertekky said:
Activision has a history of driving franchises to the ground.

Activision doesn't have even a fraction of the amount of influence on Bungie as it had on it's own studios. Why are people so scared?

Personally, I think a steampunk flying combat game would be awesome.

Mik2121

Dax01 said:
Yeah! Because people played and bought Halo game after Halo game because it was an Xbox exclusive, not because they enjoyed the games.
Man, I totally sold my Wii and all the Wii games I had to buy a Slim 360 and Halo 3 ODST and Halo Reach on release date because I needed an Xbox exclusive!. I also have a Noble 6 and an Emile figure, plus the Halo (1) ArtBook and I would kill for a ~300 pages Halo series ArtBook just because it's an exclusive.

And I'd consider myself an average or slightly above average Halo fan, though I've not been playing the game in the last half year (only started playing again since this weekend..).

enzo_gt said:
If Bungie announces they're doing the next Crimson Skies, I think that would singlehandedly destroy any E3 announcement in terms of surprise and awesomeness.
I'm expecting Aerospace to be a service. But yeah, it totally would.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GhaleonEB said:
From the announcement page today:

So gather round, wherever you roam. Just make sure you bring your iPhone (or your iPad), and the friends you've made in the Bungie Community will always be just a quick, but oh-so tender stroke of the forefinger away.​
Woo. I've been away from the Bungie community since Reach, time to come home...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm expecting Aerospace to be a service. But yeah, it totally would.
I am too, I predict some sort of cross-game online platform and evolution of Bungie.net into even more of a social service.

But a flying game would be amazing. I would have the biggest smile on my face watching interviews where they admit the flying bits of LNoS was a test bed for the game too.

clav

Eric WK said:
It's a publishing deal, nothing more.
Who knows if Activision snuck in an appendix to the agreement?

I know it's cynical to think that way, but it is Activision.

I'm hoping Bungie Aerospace is something to appease us in the short term while we wait for the next big thing. Going a year (or possibly years!) without something Bungie-related would make me very sad.

Bungie just hired a new community content writer. I wouldn't expect Bungie to do that and tell us they're going dark without something worth writing about between now and the new IP.

Top Bottom