• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

Empty

the timing of this is too hilarious. the saga of activision over the last few months is like 100x better than the story in MW2, and this twist is amazing.

iceatcs

pachter_mike_blur_jd_top.jpg

Peff

Can't Activision force them to release what they want? I mean, say they make a new super succesful IP... if they have exclusive publish rights to Bungie games, they can refuse to publish any projects until they start developing a sequel to that, right?

This miay be a dumb question, but who will develop Halo?

343 Studios, owned by MS.

Sanic

Puck said:
Am I really a bad person for thinking it was fake? It's a fucking ridiculous deal with the devil

No, the ten years was what tripped me up and made me initially think it was fake.

Genesis Knight said:
I say again...

Goddamn fucking piece of shit. GODDAMN! And just after I swore I'd never buy another CoD because of the way Activision's ruthlessly churns out releases every goddamn six months just to rape your wallet. Now Bungie, one of the last devs out there who seems to give a damn about a game for the game's sake jumps in fucking bed with them?

Day ruined.
Blizzard are under activision too aren't they?

jiggles

Banned
Well, this was a bit of a no-brainer to Bungie, really. These past 10 months, I've heard nothing but good things about working with Activision.

Well no matter it's not like I buy any of these games anyway(that goes for Blizzard as well).

Okay I did get Geometry Wars 2 but I seriously had no idea Activision was behind it.

Matt_C

Shurs said:
Why are people surprised they chose Activision? What were you expecting, Ignition?
Maybe Capgod? That would of been a smarter choice. Imagine a Final Fight done by the Oni team.

Sad day indeed for gaming. Very unfortunate.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
miladesn said:
10 year partner-ship with the Devil?! Now I'm seeing why Activision didn't care about IW. smh @ bungie

Yeah, that DOES make more sense now that we know this Bungie deal has been in the works for nine months.

Raist

Banned
selig said:
I now firmly believe that NO developer, outside of maybe Nintendo, Valve and Blizzard, has any kind of honor. That´s just...ridiculous. Could have stayed with Microsoft...

You picked these examples to be sarcastic, right?
I mean, how could Blizzard have any honor left after merging with the evil Activision?

It seems like Bungie are part of Activision's equivalent of the EA partners program, which I didn't know even existed. I'm guessing this is a unique deal between the two companies.

I'm gonna look at this like Bungie is partnering up with Blizzard, cause we all know that Blizzard is awesome.

Tonza

Empty said:
the timing of this is too hilarious. the saga of activision over the last few months is like 100x better than the story in MW2, and this twist is amazing.

yeah,

10 year exclusive agreement with Activision of all the publishers? I can't remember when I was as disappointed by gaming related news.

I guess there wasn't many options since EA has already a lot of partners and Ubisoft seems to do well on it's own studios but still... fuck

Matt_C said:
Maybe Capgod? That would of been a smarter choice. Imagine a Final Fight done by the Oni team.

Sad day indeed for gaming. Very unfortunate.
Because when I think successful FPS publishing, I think Capcom.

Why not sign with Konami too?

Mael

That means I could buy their games without the MSFT box?
HELL YEAH!
Now they just have to never release the Halo quadralogy and I'll never need a 360 :)
(seriously nothing against the 360 (I even offered one to a close relative), I just don't want another thing to take that much space on my living room, the ps3slim is already fuckin huge)

and
Ogs said:
scott_tenorman.gif

Ah well, just publishing deal i guess, no ownership of ip etc ?
this too

Pandoracell said:
So much for Bungie games having nice manuals. HELLLOOO 4 pages of black and white!
Colour manuals will be in the Limited Edition. Colour manuals with an additional two pages outlining future DLC plans will be in the Collector's Edition. .pdf files of the colour manuals with a further page featuring a letter from Kotick to you, the loyal consumer, will be available from the Activision website once you've paid a small subscriber's fee and agreed to receive emails from selected partners.

My reality is crashing down around me. This is hugely disappointing. How could the MW2 bullshit going on during these negotiations allowed Bungie to dive headfirst into this clusterfuck?

Whatever, I hope they still make good games. I was looking forward to them being independent. Respawn was a step forward for developers, this is a step back.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
They are independent, so what's the problem? They are not bought and not employed by Acti.

Activision will market the hell out of their next title. Is it bad, huh?

Shurs

At least now, publishing with someone other than Microsoft, you'll be able to play Bungie games on your PC again.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Perhaps Activision has learned how to not solve problems by screwing the pooch and hoping for the best. My guess is that Blizzard and Bungie now will carry Activision while all internal studios will wither away.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Holy shit, I didn't see this coming. I didn't think Bungie would go multiplatform until next generation but it looks like I was wrong. And making a deal with the devil as well? Fuck...

EDIT Also, I demand this thread to flow with as many awesome .gifs as the Infinity Ward implosion threads have.

Thomper said:
Technically, they're still somewhat independent. The most important part of that press release people seem to be forgetting: Bungie will own the properties they put out.

Technically. But how independent can you be with a 10 year exclusive publishing contract, and with the Devil, no less? There have been so many horror stories coming out of Activision in recent years and they jump straight into this? I honestly have to question Bungie leadership's sanity.

SonOfABeep said:
My reality is crashing down around me. This is hugely disappointing. How could the MW2 bullshit going on during these negotiations allowed Bungie to dive headfirst into this clusterfuck?

Whatever, I hope they still make good games. I was looking forward to them being independent. Respawn was a step forward for developers, this is a step back.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Only reason anyone does anything. Bobby Kotick drove up in a dump truck with cash and dumped it on Bungie Headquarters.

Top Bottom