• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

dkeane

From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.
Really?

What the hell did Activision offer that Microsoft could not?

Money, obviously, but the Bungiefolk definately don't seem like the type that would go after the money..

EA partners would've been a way, way better choice. (Or is that for startups only?)

Ridley327

Am I the only one more surprised that Bungie will be retaining the rights to their IPs with this agreement? I don't think Activision has ever done that, but I guess Bungie would be one of the few companies where an exception could be made.

This all so surreal after the IW exodus. :lol

Banzaiaap said:
EA partners would've been a way, way better choice. (Or is that for startups only?)

There's no limits to qualify for EA Partners, as Double Fine, Harmonix/MTV Games and Grasshopper Manufacture are all established studios and use the program for their games, both released and upcoming.

iceatcs

Look forward what they will give us. More games are welcome.

Shame about it is such a hate-able company tho.

Salacious Crumb

Didn't they leave MS for more creative freedom? EAP would have been a perfect fit but fucking Activision. Jesus, they're out of the frying pan and into the fire.......

Mafro

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_ge.gif

Thomper

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So by "we want to be independent" they actually meant "we want to be multiplatform". Hopefully this move doesn't end in Bungie's demise.

But Activision? My stomach is turning.
Technically, they're still somewhat independent. The most important part of that press release people seem to be forgetting: Bungie will own the properties they put out. That was the main problem for Infinity Ward: they didn't own Modern Warfare, but they wanted to. Here, Bungie will own what they produce, so it's they who get to decide what they develop. It's somewhat like an EA Partners thing, I think: Bungie is free to develop the game(s) by/for themselves, Activision just pays for the publishing and marketing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Someone start the photoshops of Bungie + Activision in love

Can't wait for the yearly abominations, of w/e Bungie will make

Acti = Wife Beater, Bungie = I'll go make your sandwich dear, just dont push me down the stairs

Cday

Banned
Look at it this way if they would have stayed with Microsoft they would have been stuck making shooters, oh wait.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I wish Bungie the best but man this is really hard news to take...either this deal was in the works before the IW fallout or hopefully Bungie has an iron clad contract.

I say again...

Goddamn fucking piece of shit. GODDAMN! And just after I swore I'd never buy another CoD because of the way Activision's ruthlessly churns out releases every goddamn six months just to rape your wallet. Now Bungie, one of the last devs out there who seems to give a damn about a game for the game's sake jumps in fucking bed with them?

Day ruined.

selig said:
I now firmly believe that NO developer, outside of maybe Nintendo, Valve and Blizzard, has any kind of honor. That´s just...ridiculous. Could have stayed with Microsoft...
:lol

Because getting your next FPS published by the company that helped make an FPS series massive shows a lack of honor. What multiplatform publisher has a better reputation for selling FPS games?

Magni

Bungie remains independent, and keeps their IPs, but what I'm fucking scared for is the pricing and the DLC :x

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shurs said:
Why are people surprised they chose Activision? What were you expecting, Ignition?

I thought it reasonably probable that MS would keep picking up their projects.

Third party wise, though, yes, it would have to be an Activision or an EA.

But locking themselves in for 10 years from the start is rather surprising.

besiktas1

:lol the video is hilarious, they just cut off the beginning of the snide comment about ea. (I'm guessing it goes).

Now here's to kicking ACTION "... EA's ass"

Also can someone make a gif for me please on 1:08-1:12 of the evil laugh.

Ridley327 said:
Am I the only one more surprised that Bungie will be retaining the rights to their IPs with this agreement? I don't think Activision has ever done that, but I guess Bungie would be one of the few companies where an exception could be made.

This all so surreal after the IW exodus. :lol

After the IW fallout I would be very surprised if there wasn't some contract rewriting to prevent Bungie from sharing a similar fate.

Dynoro

Banzaiaap said:
What the hell did Activision offer that Microsoft could not?
Money, obviously, but the Bungiefolk definately don't seem like the type that would go after the money..

Multiplatform at a guess

Bizzyb

Banned
gofreak said:
It's Bungie's own universe, their own IP. It's not Call of Duty.

However if they got 'comfortable' with Activision it's always possible they could work on that series for them too. But that's not part of this deal.

I know, but a lot can happen in 10 yrs.

linkboy

Thomper said:
Technically, they're still somewhat independent. The most important part of that press release people seem to be forgetting: Bungie will own the properties they put out. That was the main problem for Infinity Ward: they didn't own Modern Warfare, but they wanted to. Here, Bungie will own what they produce, so it's they who get to decide what they develop. It's somewhat like an EA Partners thing, I think: Bungie is free to develop the game(s) by/for themselves, Activision just pays for the publishing and marketing.

A slimeball like Kotick will find a way to get that changed.

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot.

broony

Tell me if I'm interpretting this right:

Bungie create a new IP, lets call it SuperDuper.

Bungie has agreed to allow Activision exlcusion rights to publish SuperDuper and any sequels / tie ins on all platforms. Howver Bungie owns the games themsleves and have creative control over them.

Bungie still owns the IP SuperDuper.

If Bungie wants to they can create another IP (lets call it wowzatak) but Activision have nothing to do with this IP. Right?

starsky

Uhhhhh.... I wasn't planning to support Activision after what they did. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

Oh well. I'm going to buy Diablo III anyway :lol
But if Bungie broke up in the future, I won't blame Activision.

Shurs

gofreak said:
I thought it reasonably probable that MS would keep picking up their projects.

Third party wise, though, yes, it would have to be an Activision or an EA.

But locking themselves in for 10 years from the start is rather surprising.

Activision is the largest publisher in the world. We're at a point in the generation where multi-platform development makes a lot more sense for an independent developer than developing for one platform. Look at Call of Duty sales compared to Halo sales, for example.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So this is like Insomniac going multiplatform ?

V_Ben

Banned
well, if they own the ip, then that means that activision is giving them a pretty sweet deal, and know that the IW mess has left them in a bad position. Bungie probably made them an offer, taking advantage of this, and thus we are here.

Awesome deal for both parties regardless. Bungie gets ip control, activision gets to publish their next few games. both are happy.

Also, i suppose this confirms bungie's next game being multiplatform.

EazyB

Banned
10 fucking years...

Here I am burning the midnight oil to clear my day out tomorrow and enjoy some Reach goodness and this shit pops up. I must've passed out at the computer and having a nightmare.

Top Bottom