• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

The S-Word said:
Blizzard are under activision too aren't they?

No, Blizzard is not under the control of Activision and it has never been under the control of Activision. Both Blizzard and Activision are ultimately under the control of Vivendi, which is the company that owns majority stake of Activison Blizzard.

Kifimbo

whatevermort said:
It doesn't even, at this stage, guarantee that they'll be multi-format; they might be moving to PC only, for all we know.

Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices.

That's probably why Bungie chose Activision.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HiResDes said:
Nice to see a voice of reason amidst all of this senseless rage, but with that being said Kotick can suck a big one, and Satan's big one at that.

So you want him to pull a Marilyn Manson?

1. remove rib
2. suck own cock
3. ????
4. PROFIT

Raide

whatevermort said:
I know that this'll be forgotten in three posts, but it's only a publishing partnership. Activision haven't purchased Bungie, and they have no control/say over the IP. This is not an Infinity Ward/Activision deal; it's just a publishing deal. It's just using them as publishers. It doesn't even, at this stage, guarantee that they'll be multi-format; they might be moving to PC only, for all we know.

Only a publisher yes but they have such a bad track record for taking IP's and screwing them into the ground. Attaching Activision to the box will now sour people's opinion of future Bungie games. The stigma will now be attached to everything they do.

You never know, they might have seen the error or their ways and trying to sort themselves out, kinda like EA is doing. Bungie and Blizzard are great to have on-board, but they just lost IW.

Xapati

Somebody on the upper echelons of Bungie is making a killing :lol . Bungie as a whole though, yeah they are fucked.

Sanic

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the press release states that Activision only has publishing rights to this single, new IP. Not any others that Bungie may develop in the future.

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about first person shooters (I'm an expert), but matchmaking and awards are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in not third person shooters where you can become successful by just using bullet time...

....Bungie has alienated the entire multiverse with this move.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Well they shouldn't have the same drama as Infinity ward since they are still a separate entity and they will also retain the rights to their own IP.

JMizzlin

I can see it now...

"Halo Hero", "Halo Hero 2", "Halo Hero 3: Legends of War", "Halo Hero: Universe Tour", "Halo Hero 5".

Eric WK

Holy shit at the overreacting here. Activision doesn't suddenly own Bungie and control what they make or how they make it. It's a publishing partnership for, according to the press release, one series. As long as as that's the case, I don't really see a problem here.

Bungie gets to do what they would have done anyway and, assuming they're going multiplatform, more people get to play great games.

Darklord

Banned
chewydogg said:
A look on the bright side, we get a game from Bungie's new IP every year for the next ten years!!

Oh, wait...

They don't own them though. They can't force them to do shit.

...right?

Yagharek

I'm sure its been said many times in this fast moving thread, but how many people are going to break their boycotts of activision over this?

TheGreatDave said:
The question is if Activision can dictate the release schedule or any in-game aspects. Just because Activision are publishing doesn't mean they can make this a yearly franchise or whatever.

Darklord said:

...right?

Who do you think got the better end of the deal? A bunch of nerds playing a company or power-hungry management guys who just destroyed a studio that made them $1bln in sales?

Narcosis

After all the bullshit Activision has pulled with it's game developing partners, and I'm not just talking about Infinity Ward, I can't understand what Bungie was thinking. Yeah Activision has alot of clout and can make a huge marketing push on Bungie's games, but so could several other publishers and a studio of Bungie's reputation surely could have done better than make a pact with Activision.

Eric WK said:
Holy shit at the overreacting here. Activision doesn't suddenly own Bungie and control what they make or how they make it. It's a publishing partnership for, according to the press release, one series. As long as as that's the case, I don't really see a problem here.

Bungie gets to do what they would have done anyway and, assuming they're going multiplatform, more people get to play great games.
Say that when Bungie's IP is a Justin Beiber BMX game.

Chinner said:
It was good knowing Bungie as they current exist.

HAHA, that's like going from jumping over fire to rolling on the frying pan!

Seriously, this is going to be another Infinity Ward case, all over again.

Anyway, the article itself mentions that Bungie generated games that revenued up to 1.5 billion dollar, guys. It's obvious that Activision is paying the big bucks, and you know what? People who run companies know they won't be there forever... so I bet the people who signed the deal were like "you know what? Let's make the big bucks, and when it's time to jump off the boat, we jump off the boat".

Sanic

Darklord said:

...right?

Who knows. Just because you're independent, doesn't mean you didn't agree to release X amount of games over those 10 years. Until more details are released, we'll remain in the dark.

Shurs said:
You do know that Sony owns Naught Dog, right?

And Microsoft owns Bungie. Well, it did a couple of years ago. Seriously, this is so crazy that nothing would surprise me anymore. Super Mario Universe a launch game for Dreamcast 2? Sure, why not.

Castor Krieg said:
Who do you think got the better end of the deal? A bunch of nerds playing a company or power-hungry management guys who just destroyed a studio that made them $1bln in sales?
I don't think either company can suffer if Bungie still get to dictate the games they release. This isn't a COD situation where Activision can demand things or set up additional teams. They're just publishing the games.

Spookie

10 years? Holy fuck.

This is the gaming equivilent of watching a lion bite of another tamers arm then walking over to said lion and sticking your head in its mouth.

GuitarHalo.jpg

Shurs

Narcosis said:
After all the bullshit Activision has pulled with it's game developing partners, and I'm not just talking about Infinity Ward...

Infinity Ward isn't Activision's developing partner, it's their property. Bungie, on the other hand, is a partner.

Magni

Keyser Soze said:
Bungie just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about first person shooters (I'm an expert), but matchmaking and awards are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in not third person shooters where you can become successful by just using bullet time...

....Bungie has alienated the entire multiverse with this move.

Started off alright, but the end was meh. 1 Internet point for effort :lol

JDSN

Banned
RandomVince said:
I'm sure its been said many times in this fast moving thread, but how many people are going to break their boycotts of activision over this?
There are no boycotts.

FrankT

Eye Drop said:
I can see it now...

"Halo Hero", "Halo Hero 2", "Halo Hero 3: Legends of War", "Halo Hero: Universe Tour", "Halo Hero 5".

Yea that ain't happening because MS still owns the IP. When they say this is their last Halo game they mean it. However 343 is going to have some big shoes to fill.

TheGreatDave said:
Say that when Bungie's IP is a Justin Beiber BMX game.

Yup, it's all about that next IP. It better be solid or it's going to make for a really sucky 10 years.

Top Bottom