• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
I don't know how to react to this; I don't know what to believe. What Kibbles posted on this page, the fact that the countdown timer was MEANT to stop with 12 hours remaining, the notice being posted at 7 pm, what Luke said in the last update, the SuperIntendent posting "THERE WILL BE DELAYS," etc.

Good point, but that'd be pretty messed up. I'm not sure that they would do that, unless they really wanna get us when our expectations are at the lowest of lows.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm trying to think of a precedent for a major publisher to yank an announcement that had been promised from a major studio before. I don't think there is one. It's probably safe to say Bungie didn't see this coming.

Valid point, valid point. It is odd, no doubt. I was suspicious when they weren't on Microsoft's panel, though.

squicken

Kotaku tattlers tell us that a notable absence, maybe the most notable absence, at the week's glorious gaming festivities can be traced back to a sudden decision made by a certain, shall we say, jejune high-level executive. His last minute pronouncement to pull the plug on the splashy unveiling no doubt disappointed a lot of fans and broke the heart of this humble writer.

http://kotaku.com/5025667/

edit: beated by slow rss :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Judderman said:
And this whole posted at 7, with 7 lines, and it saying this Harold Ryan guy is the president of Bungie when he's not? Smells like an ARG to me
Harold Ryan is the president of Bungie

NH Apache

Banned
Judderman said:
Doesn't the way the message is posted look alot like the way "ilovebees" looked like?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Juddz/sgsgdc_1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Juddz/bungieannounce.jpg[IMG]

And this whole posted at 7, with 7 lines, and it saying this Harold Ryan guy is the president of Bungie when he's not? Smells like an ARG to me[/QUOTE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie_Studios[/url]

Ummm Harold Ryan is the president of Bungie...

Edit: Beaten

Proelite

WORLDWIDEWII said:
Wait maybe that was the announcement,

Bungie to the rest of the world: we have no announcement at this years' E3. :lol

Bungie's got the biggest pair of balls I've ever seen then. :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I've got to hand it to this year's E3 -- it's given us drama non-stop, round the clock.

Just when you thought the conferences were over, bam! Bungie
(Microsoft)
punches you in the face.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
squicken said:
Kotaku tattlers tell us that a notable absence, maybe the most notable absence, at the week's glorious gaming festivities can be traced back to a sudden decision made by a certain, shall we say, jejune high-level executive.

Mattrick_web.jpg

DEAD TO ME

So confusing and strange, why would MS wait until the very last day to cancel it? I'm sure they must have known about this announcement long ago, why wait till the last minute after all this build up?

Unless I hear the whole story I'm going to lay off the Microsoft hate for a little bit. When a deal like this announcement falls apart it is pretty much always a two sided affair and it's not like Bungie doesn't have a reputation for always doing its own thing and for occasionally bad mouthing its publishers (see Halo 3 DLC cost). But since Microsoft never comments on jazz like this I'm sure that this forum and everywhere else on the internet will only hear Bungie's side of the story. It's a shame as I'd like to hear what really went down. Microsoft might really be the evil overlords in this case, but as of now I've heard nothing that would convince me that is the case.

UltimaPooh said:
Also wouldn't they use proprer english in something that is official? Instead of saying announce they would say announcement?

See, this was just a little of my point. The abrupt message seemed so odd. But, if it really is THIS sudden of a shift, I suppose it is now understandable.

MMaRsu

Banned
I still think all this shit is kinda weird. I mean I haven't really been following this except read up a bit about this superintendent, but this all seems kinda fishy to me really.

Crateman

Please people... let's just let E3 die. This is by far worse than what I imagined.

E3 is like the old dog that has been along the family for quite some time. When the dog gets old and sick, people refuse to let the dog die in a humane way because they were so attached to it. This dog needs to be put for sleep for his sake. The situation gets even worse with time.

---

Generally, I wouldn't be hyped for something Bungie related... but now this is completely different. Sorry if I haven't like most of your games guys... but if this is a real clusterfuck and you guys got shafted by the interests of a publisher, I'm completely behind you guys.

FoneBone

RattleHead_ said:
So confusing and strange, why would MS wait until the very last day to cancel it? I'm sure they must have known about this announcement long ago, why wait till the last minute after all this build up?
Yeah. Nothing about this makes sense. (And I'm not one of those idiots insisting the message on Bungie's site is fake; I just think the situation is utterly bizarre.)

MMaRsu said:
What did luke say in his last update?
Future Tense

As a reader, I can only imagine just how frustrating it is to not have any new information just yet. Rest assured, dear vengeful, hypertense reader many things are in motion. Many things. These numerous things include the following:

Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience
Sweet Announcements
Poignant Clarifications
Certain-point-of-view Truths
Things you will love
Things you will argue about
Things you will make angry videos about
Here.

My issue is that Microsoft isn't showing nearly as much as they have in the stables. They have so much stuff coming to the 360, and with the poor showings that Sony and Nintendo had, Microsoft could have blown their competitors out of the water by showing hordes of kick ass games. They had the smoking gun, and they didn't pull the trigger. Stupid decisions. And I'm a PlayStation 3 owner, so it's not like I'm a fanboy, I just want to see more of what each console has to offer. Sony didn't show nearly enough of what they have coming on the PS3 front either.

Reboot_homePage_04.jpg

Some guy at the bungie forums found the picture... notice, no countdown there... claims he found it before the message was posted.

MrDaravon

TheFightingFish said:
Unless I hear the whole story I'm going to lay off the Microsoft hate for a little bit. When a deal like this announcement falls apart it is pretty much always a two sided affair and it's not like Bungie doesn't have a reputation for always doing its own thing and for occasionally bad mouthing its publishers (see Halo 3 DLC cost). But since Microsoft never comments on jazz like this I'm sure that this forum and everywhere else on the internet will only hear Bungie's side of the story. It's a shame as I'd like to hear what really went down. Microsoft might really be the evil overlords in this case, but as of now I've heard nothing that would convince me that is the case.

Bungie is ALL ABOUT their community, and have been for years and years. There's no way they'd pull a dick move like this if they had any control over it.

ToyMachine228 said:
My issue is that Microsoft isn't showing nearly as much as they have in the stables. They have so much stuff coming to the 360, and with the poor showings that Sony and Nintendo had, Microsoft could have blown their competitors out of the water by showing hordes of kick ass games. They had the smoking gun, and they didn't pull the trigger. Stupid decisions. And I'm a PlayStation 3 owner, so it's not like I'm a fanboy, I just want to see more of what each console has to offer. Sony didn't show nearly enough of what they have coming on the PS3 front either.

YES.

Imagine what the response would have been had they actually showed up at this conference (SquareEnix aside)

EazyB

Banned
Letdown, hopefully MS decides that the perfect moment to let Bungie announce it is sooner rather than later.

Bungie should have went with EA

It sounds like the project was ready to be shown. This was one of the few games I was looking forward to hearing about. Such a shame, and oh so weird to pull the plug on the unveiling.

Victrix

*beard*
Thankfully, in situations like this, our awesome gaming journalists step up to the plate and fill us in with the hard line of inside inform...

Ok, I'll stop now.

Top Bottom