• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

GhaleonEB

Notable Analysis and Speculation

Timeline

September 25th | Source | Bungie has posted a cryptic teaser trailer for their next game. The description on Xbox Live Marketplace is: "High action and deep mystery await players in this new Halo 3 campaign experience. Prepare to drop!"

Links to all sizes and flavors of the video are in the bungie.net article above.

maknitrain.jpg

September 24th | Source | Once again, a countdown starts up on bungie.net. This time heading down to 7:07 am Pacific time, September 25th. The 1st anniversary of Halo 3.....

Coundown.jpg

September 22nd | Source | A second cryptic transmission, titled "PARDON OUR DUST", and image appear on Bungie.net as the top story.

PARDON.jpg

<\\> UNSC OFFICE OF NAVAL INTELLIGENCE
<\\> TAC-OPS LOGISTICS DATABASE [ONI.SEC.PRTCL-1A]

<\ * PRIORITY! * RESOURCE RE-ALLOCATION REQUEST

>> SENT: [DARE.V.500341(S1)]
>> RECEIVED: HEAVY CRUISER “SAY MY NAME” [SMN.ACTUAL]

\ PARTIAL VTT TRANSCRIPT AS FOLOWS...

[SMN.ACTUAL]: “The situation on the ground isn’t my concern.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “I understand, Admiral. But I need --”
[EXPLOSION (4.0098s)]
[SMN.UNKNOWN]:[UNITELLIGIBLE > PANIC(?)]
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Empty archer pods six through twelve!”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Ready the MAC, and come about!”
[SMN.UNKNOWN]:[UNITELLIGIBLE > INSUBORDINATION(?)]
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “It may have passed us, Lieutenant, but it’s still in range.”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Come about. And shoot it in the ass.”
[EXPLOSION (2.3482s)]
[STATIC (3.8761s)]
[SMN.UNKNOWN]:[UNITELLIGIBLE > COMPLIANCE(?)]
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Admiral, about my squad?”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “I’ve forwarded their NCO’s name to your --”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Enough, Captain!”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “If I survive this attack..."
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “I will deploy per my orders from Fleet HQ!”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Sir. I don’t report to Fleet.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “And the men I want? Now they don’t either.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Please. Read my request.”
[STATIC (2.8179s)]
[EXPLOSION (3.0194s)]
[STATIC (7.4501s)]
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Didn’t think you S1 types ever left your cave.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Desperate times...”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Alright, Captain. You’ve got your squad.”
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “If I survive the attack."
[EXPLOSION (2.9016s)]
[SMN.ACTUAL]: “And right now? That’ll take a genuine act of God.”
[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “I’ll see what I can do.”

\ ~ REQUEST COMPLETE
\ DATABASE CLOSED \>

September 19th | Source | A new cyptic tease, titled "KEEP IT CLEAN", featuring the Superintendent appears on Bungie.net as the top story. Crucially, this is the first time the Superintendent has been referenced alonside something specific to the Halo universe - UNSC, and ONI.

RESUME.jpg

<\\> UNSC OFFICE OF NAVAL INTELLIGENCE

<\\> CLASSIFIED SIGNALS ARCHIVE [ONI.SEC.PRTCL-1A]

<\ OPENED PER OFFICIAL REQUEST [DARE.V.500341(S1)]

\ SOURCE: URBAN INFRASTRUCTURE A.I. [SUPERINTENDENT]

\ RECIPIENT: PROWLER “TOKYO RULES” [COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]
>> NOTATION KEYWORD SEARCH: “EMERGENCY” “DATA” “CORRUPTION”
>> (...) ~ QUERY RUNNING
>> (..)
>> (.) \ VTT TRANSCRIPT AS FOLOWS...

[SUPERINTENDENT]: “METROPOLITAN EMERGENCY!” [SUPERINTENDENT]: “METROPOLITAN EMERGENCY!”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “METROPOLITAN EMER--!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “We know. Personnel are en route. Can you--”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “DETOUR! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “--put Kinsler on the line?”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: [UNITELLIGIBLE > DOG GROWLING(?)]
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “Sorry, what?”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “BE A HERO! REPORT VIOLATORS!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “Oh, come on... ”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “METROPOLITAN EMER--!” [COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “Listen. We have a report of core data corruption.”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “I need you to upload your--”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “PARDON OUR DUST!”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER] “--logs for the last twenty-four hours!”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “KEEP IT CLEAN!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: [UNINTELLIGIBLE > PROFANITY (?)]
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “We're sending a team, alright?”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “Until they arrive, all additional comm needs to route through me.”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “Repeat and acknowledge.”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “OBEY POSTED LIMITS!”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “YIELD TO UPHILL TRAFFIC!”
[COMM.DUTY.OFFICER]: “I'll take that as a ‘yes’...”
[SUPERINTENDENT]: “PLEASE REMAIN CALM!”

\ ~ QUERY COMPLETE

\ ARCHIVE CLOSED \>

September 18th | Source | Luke hints in a "Rare" Thursday Weekly Update that big news is coming

Earlier this summer, my bipolar, crazy landlord told me, "The night is darkest just before the dawn."

Dawn is about to break.

July 16th, evening | Bungie LLC President Harold Ryan posts a note on Bungie.net announcing the cancellation of Bungie's E3 announcement.

Reboot_homePage_04.jpg

July 16th | Bungie webcam updated with Superintendent icons.

Webcam1.jpg

July 14th | Bungie's webpage begins to countdown, apparantly to an announcement. The timer is set to end on July 16th at 07:07:07 am Pacific time.

Bungie-splash.jpg

July 13th | Source | The Superintendent posts in the bungie.net forums, with numbers swapped out for letters. The string appears to be hinting at an announcement on Monday, July 14th at 10:30, the start of the Microsoft E3 press conference.

Since then, he has also replaced other letters, as shown here:

* K7EP IT CLEAN
* KE1P IT CLEAN
* KEEP IT 1LEAN
* KEEP I8 CLEAN
* KEEP IT CLE0N
* KEEP 0T CLEAN
* KEEP IT C0EAN
* KEEP IT CL3AN
* KEE4 IT CLEAN

Combined, the phrase becomes "0714 08 1030N".
It was believed that he was writing out a date and time. This appears to be 07/14/08 10:30 which was when Microsoft's slot at E3 2008 was. Fans were exited to hear the announcement at E3, but were taken by surprise that there was no announcement. Instead a mysterious page substituting the Bungie.net homepage with a countdown to 7:07:07 AM, July 16th, 2008.

July 12th | Bungie adds the Superintendent icon to the in-game Halo 3 menu.

Super-In-game.jpg

July 6th | Source 1: Images below | Source 2 | Bungie releases a Dashboard theme and gamer picture featuring the Superintendent.

ebd3di.jpg

2h5qlgw.jpg

Seperately, Tieno summarizes the many bungie.net forum posts the Superintendant has been making. There's been a lot of them.

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
PLEASE REMAIN CALM
OBEY POSTED LIMITS
KEEP IT CLEAN
BE A HERO! REPORT VIOLATORS
WALKWAY ENDING, PLEASE LOOK DOWN
VEHICLE MAKES FREQUENT STOPS
SPEED ZONE AHEAD
YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK
RECYCLING: DO YOUR PART!
CLICK IT OR TICKET
CLICK IT OR TICKET
KEEP IT CLEAN
PLEASE REMAIN CALM
LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING
KEEP IT CLEAN
KEEP IT CLEAN
PARDON OUR DUST
KEEP IT CLEAN
WHITE ZONE FOR LOADING ONLY
GOOD CITIZENS CONSERVE FUEL
GOOD CITIZENS CONSERVE FUEL
KEEP IT CLEAN
YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK
BEACH OPEN FOR WATER CONTACT
PARDON OUR DUST
LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING

July 3rd | Source 1 | Source 2 | Bungie Releases a Vidoc showing the Superintendent icon and the phrase "Keep it Clean". Separately, a Bungie employee makes a Recon challenge wearing the Superintendent shirt.

Storage-Clean.jpg

Storage-Super.jpg

reconchallenge.jpg

June 27th | Source | The Weekly Update contains more details of the scale of Bungie's presence at PAX, including a booth and the return of the Bungie Fanfest.

Weekly Update said:
PAX is coming to Seattle at the end of August - 62 days to be precise. This year Bungie will be there in full force with our own swanky booth jam packed with goodness. Come by and meet members of our team, play some games with us, win prizes and maybe even see some new stuff and meet some special guests. One thing for certain is that at specified times, we'll be offering a chance to play 2v2 against Luke and Shishka for a chance to win some in-game Recon armor.

In addition to the booth, we are also finalizing plans for the triumphant return of the Bungie FanFest. While once a revered tradition within the studio, we let things slip a little in recent years and it's high time to give something back to our fans and throw a party as a token of appreciation. A Bungie FanFest is about meeting and mingling with other members of our fan community, hanging out with our team, learning more about the games you love and what went into making them, playing games, winning swag prizes and there are always special surprises in store for those who attend. Oh and there is usually booze for people of the appropriate age.

Details are still coming together but we will definitely have a lot more to say on this in the near future. And if old man O'Donnell comes through with his crazy scheme, this should be a party to remember. That's all I can say for now... but mark your calendars and if you were on the fence about attending PAX, this should be a big incentive to seal the deal.

June 16th | Source | Luke unveils Cold Storage at MLG San Diego wearing the Superintendent shirt.

Lukeshirt.jpg

June 13th | Source | The Weekly Update hints that Bungie will have a major reveal at PAX.

In August (specifically between 29-31), Penny-Arcade will host their annual, engorged, and eponymously-titled Penny Arcade Expo here in Seattle. In the interest of doing our due diligence, while still retaining our "we don't tell you anything ever" sensibilities, if you're a fan of Bungie and our games - this is the year to come to PAX. Consider yourself informed and warned. We'll have more on this soon.

May 30th | Source | Cocopjojo rounds up a thread on bungie.net containing strange icons and a new "Superintendent" profile in the forums. The phrase "Keep it Clean!" is used by it.

Cocopjojo said:
So has anyone been following this thread over at B.net?

Apparently, there is a new "member rank" or whatever on the forums called "Superintendent." All of the profiles that belong to it don't have names, just a collection of "|||||||||"s and a shared profile picture that differs with the eyes.

It looks like six have been discovered so far.

SurprisedSI.gif

JapaneseSI.gif

AngrySI.gif

MoodySI.gif

SadSI.gif

SuspiciousSI.gif

http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?uid=4742702
http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?uid=4742737
http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?uid=4742721
http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?uid=4742715
http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?uid=4742747
http://www.bungie.net/Account/profile.aspx?uid=4742730

And one that doesn't have the similar profile picture, but has the same motto as the rest:

http://www.bungie.net/Account/profile.aspx?uid=4742753

Their profiles all say "Keep it clean!"

One of them has three forum posts.

Here
Here
Here[/IMG]

May 16th | Source 1 | Source 2 | The Weekly Update features Frank wearing a Superintendent t-shirt. And, strangely enough, HBO's Weekly Update Archive features a different image (possibly caught before a Bungie.net edit due to the nature of the image), which also contains the Superintendent symbol.

May 9th | Source | The Bungie Webcam captures an image with a sign on the wall that has the Superintendent symbol.

SIintheback.jpg

FoConnor.jpg

keep_it_clean.jpg

April 25 | Source | The Weekly Update hints that one of Bungie's next projects is coming soon.

Weekly Update said:
Meanwhile, we're damn busy ourselves with a variety of projects underway within the studio including one that you'll be hearing more about in the very near future. Now that we control our own destiny we also have other longer term, top secret plans afoot. The wait for that may be a tad longer though.

I_D

So.... a green plumber that's giving the thumbs-up is their new game.

Mario extreme?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Miyamoto: I Could Make Halo

Frank said:
Yeah, well. I just want to go on the record and say that Bungie is hard at work on a side-scrolling platform game featuring some plumbers -- I'm not going to say what their ethnicity is, it's none of anyone's business -- but we took that as a gauntlet, a sort of glove slap, and we're going to respond in 2D scrolling style. That's all I'm saying.

So based on that quote from May of '07, the art style in the pictures above, and what seems like a short development time, I have developed an entirely speculative theory which involves a 2D side-scrolling platformer, most likely on XBLA.

Crovax33

I have been following the Halo 3 thread closely, and I think it isn't time yet for this kind of thread. The one thing we have clear is that picture is associated with their next game. There is nothing else. As always Bungie is a tease. BTW

Superintendent = Vic aka MARATHON IS BACK BITCHES!

Draft

Dax01 said:
Like I said in the Halo 3 thread, I am getting a platformer vibe from what I have seen. Don't know why, though.
Microsoft's Little Big Planet killer.

Big Big Forge.

Crovax33

bigmakstudios said:
it would be amazing if they actually did try to "make mario".
No, the amount of hate they would get would be exagerated. It could be a good game, but the bitchfest the internet would create wouldn't make it worth it.

Cocopjojo said:
Miyamoto: I Could Make Halo

So based on that quote from May of '07, the art style in the pictures above, and what seems like a short development time, I have developed an entirely speculative theory which involves a 2D side-scrolling platformer, most likely on XBLA.
I think Miyamoto learned the hard way that you just don't fuck with Bungle.

TDG

Banned
It may seem confusing now, but it's certainly worth looking over breadcrumb trail. Besides, it seems that things will become clear on Monday.

Crovax33

Dax01 said:
I think Miyamoto learned the hard way that you just don't fuck with Bungle.
Why? Why would you say something like that? This fucking thread is ruined now because there will be dozens of people that will not realize "its a joke" and will derail the thread into "Why Miyamoto's left nut is better than Bungie".
fernoca said:
OP needs to ask, what the hell is Superintendent?
Wiki, Yahoo, Google..brought nothing!! :mad:
Its a custodian. Someone who keeps things clean. Look up dictionary.com

Crovax33 said:
Why? Why would you say something like that? This fucking thread is ruined now because there will be dozens of people that will not realize "its a joke" and will derail the thread into "Why Miyamoto's left nut is better than Bungie".

Relax, buddy.

Blueblur1

the disgruntled gamer said:
It may seem confusing now, but it's certainly worth looking over breadcrumb trail. Besides, it seems that things will become clear on Monday.
And even clearer come E3 and/or PAX.

fernoca

Crovax33 said:
Technically, I know what it means..
I know what's a superintendent..but not Superintendent.. :p ..seeing how the OP sometimes refers to "it" as "the"..

What's confusing? Bungie is probably going to announce/reveal their new game that's not Halo related between E3 and PAX. My guess is that Microsoft will pimp Halo Wars and Peter Jackson's possibly titled Halo: Chronicles at E3, leaving Bungie to steal the show with their new game at PAX.

Also, I wonder if the Superintendent icon will be in the Bungie Day picture pack coming this monday?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
fernoca said:
Technically, I know what it means..
I know what's a superintendent..but not Superintendent.. :p ..seeing how the OP sometimes refers to "it" as "the"..
Everything we know is in this thread.

I'm with Cocopjojo on this, it's gonna be a 2d platformer for XBLA. They've already dabbled in 2d back in the day with Abuse, which was pretty fun, and included an extensive level editor...

Wiggum2007

Yea, this whole bolded Superintendent thing is confusing me... What is Superintendent?? Why do we know this symbol is the Superintendent symbol? The OP talks about it like its some official term for what we've seen and I have no idea where it's coming from.

SuperBonk

Wiggum2007 said:
Yea, this whole bolded Superintendent thing is confusing me... What is Superintendent?? Why do we know this symbol is the Superintendent symbol?
I think it's because there's a special "class" of members on Bungie.net called Superintendent. They all have that symbol (or variations of it) as their avatar.

Crovax33

Is there a way to play Abuse today? I remember the character being a rip off of the Predator, and I also remember it being isometric, what I see in pics shows the game was actually a platformer.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Crovax33 said:
Is there a way to play Abuse today? I remember the character being a rip off of the Predator, and I also remember it being isometric, what I see in pics shows the game was actually a platformer.

a) WTF...wrong thread?

b) Easily obtainable with Ubuntu. It's open source, I believe. Also, less fun than you remember.

Crovax33

alistairw said:
a) WTF...wrong thread?

b) Easily obtainable with Ubuntu. It's open source, I believe. Also, less fun than you remember.
I have Fedora, why Ubuntu specifically? Also, I never finished it.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Crovax33 said:
I have Fedora, why Ubuntu specifically? Also, I never finished it.

I dunno - maybe it's not specific. All I know is that it's available if you search through games in Add/Remove Software.

Wiggum2007

Dax01 said:

Yes, but he was using the Superintendent term in the post long before it got to the part talking about the new 'Superintendent' rank in the forums, which made it seem like some kind of reference or something that I should have known about before.

SuperBonk said:
I think it's because there's a special "class" of members on Bungie.net called Superintendent. They all have that symbol (or variations of it) as their avatar.

Ok thanks, just the way the OP was worded made it seem like Superintendant was a reference to something we should know about.

Wiggum2007 said:
Yes, but he was using the Superintendent term in the post long before it got to the part talking about the new 'Superintendent' rank in the forums, which made it seem like some kind of reference or something that I should have known about before.
It's all we have to go on until (hopefully) Monday.

C4Lukins

I had not been keeping up with all of this. Thanks for accumulating it and getting me excited about another something that is in the distant future. This makes 20 or so of those.

Kibbles

Now that we control our own destiny we also have other longer term, top secret plans afoot. The wait for that may be a tad longer though

I seriously think this project they are revealing so soon (Bungie Day) will be an arcade title, relating to this little dude. Hell, what if it is a 2D side-scroller platformer. Things just got real, :lol Or this superintendent stuff could just be there to totally throw us off.

Hmm, "Superintendent" eh?

Well, that could refer to

1) A puzzle game in which you play as green block dude

2) A building simulation game

3) An FPS in which you are an operative code-named "Superintendent" and have to "take out the trash"

4) A portal-esque game with a talking green companion cube

Ehhh. who am i kidding, it's obviously #3

squicken

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=maptacular&p=2747963

Bungie said:
Is it true that Frankie is to blame for all of this?

That part is true. He also deleted all the assets for Hang 'Em High so that it could never, ever return. Yes, anything you don't like, that was Frankie's fault. And he nearly introduced a wacky smack-talkin' extreme hamster sidekick named "Gusto" in Halo 2. We're also pretty sure Frankie had something to do with the famous Myth hard-drive erasing bug as well as adding the famous "Combat Evolved" tagline to Halo.

Gusto and Chief action platformer.

Mindlog

Cool, something for them to let loose with a little bit hopefully.

Can't attend PAX so I hope there is a live feed like Blizzard's ;D hint hint.

Top Bottom