• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BurgerTime HD coming to digital platforms

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.psnstores.com/2011/02/burgertime-hd-coming-to-psn/

I’m not sure which mad executive decided that the time was right for a new BurgerTime, but nonetheless, an HD revamp of the original is coming to PSN. According to GamerBytes, Monkey Paw games is the developer behind the HD version, having previously had a hand in bringing Data East PS1 classics to the US PSN.

Regardless, BurgerTime HD is coming, so be ready. In the mean time, here’s the ESRB description;

This is an action-platformer in which players assume the role of a small chef who must assemble giant hamburgers. Players must avoid ‘cartoony’ hazards (e.g., grill flames, spikes traps) and oversized enemies (e.g., carrots, apple cores, hot peppers) in each level. The chef blinks and falls off-screen when hit; enemies react to damage with a ‘dizzying’ effect.

So... that's something. Link only mentions PSN for obvious reasons :p

burgertime.gif

the amount of time I played this game is ridicules. Fun game for its time

Articalys

It's actually pretty cool to see the modern-day ESRB descriptors applied to retro games like this. Makes me wonder what they would have said for the original Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., etc.

bumping this page because i just found out about it.

Holy shit, the fact that i've played this game makes me feel old as fuck. Even worse is that the original came out before I was even born. That being said, hopefully we can show you youngins what its all about when it comes to making a burger.

And get off my lawn!

Love the original game but cannot play it anymore thanks to the sound effects and tune being etched into my brain (like other classic 80s arcade games). Karate Champ HD, Shoot Out HD, Midnight Resistance HD, Joe & Mac/Caveman Ninja HD, and Express Raider HD...thanks.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Onion_Relish said:
bumping this page because i just found out about it.

Holy shit, the fact that i've played this game makes me feel old as fuck.
Most gamers have played Pac-man and Space Invaders, and those predate this.
Even worse is that the original came out before I was even born. That being said, hopefully we can show you youngins what its all about when it comes to making a burger.

And get off my lawn!
Yes, truly, you are a fossil, Late-ish Twenties Man.

There are plenty of older people posting here. Maybe you should drop by a high school where your "HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF ATARI? HOHO I AM SO OLD" act might actually play.

Shig said:
Most gamers have played Pac-man and Space Invaders, and those predate this.

Yes, truly, you are a fossil, Late-ish Twenties Man.

There are plenty of older people posting here. Maybe you should drop by a high school where your "HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF ATARI? HOHO I AM SO OLD" act might actually play.

i was being sarcastic and self depricating :(

I always liked Burger Time well enough, but I partially feel like it was because the concept was custom made to appeal to a little kid (I was 7 when it came out). As an adult, I recognize that it was part of the Donkey Kong derivative group that also included Kangaroo and whatnot. I hope the pace is faster and they add some new elements. More early 80's games need the Pac-Man CE/DX treatment.

Shiv47

Duane Cunningham said:
I always liked Burger Time well enough, but I partially feel like it was because the concept was custom made to appeal to a little kid (I was 7 when it came out). As an adult, I recognize that it was part of the Donkey Kong derivative group that also included Kangaroo and whatnot. I hope the pace is faster and they add some new elements. More early 80's games need the Pac-Man CE/DX treatment.

It was more of a Pac-Man takeoff than Donkey Kong, though, given that you could go all around the "maze" and were chased by ghost-like pursuers. Even the pepper shake was like a power pellet. I'm trying to think of ways it could be re-vamped a la Pac-Man DX; more enemies seems like it would be really difficult on that style of board, though.

vireland

GhaleonQ said:
Do the trilogy and I'm there, Monkey Paw.

It's quite a bit different than the arcade games. Same concept, but full 3D and some really cool twists. There's some good humor, too.

crazy monkey said:
burgertime.gif

the amount of time I played this game is ridicules. Fun game for its time

WOW. Now that is hilarious. I miss the good ol' 5 Pepper shakers per lives. I still have this game on my NES.

Shiv47 said:
It was more of a Pac-Man takeoff than Donkey Kong, though, given that you could go all around the "maze" and were chased by ghost-like pursuers. Even the pepper shake was like a power pellet. I'm trying to think of ways it could be re-vamped a la Pac-Man DX; more enemies seems like it would be really difficult on that style of board, though.

Huh. Yeah, I can see that... I guess it is actually more Pac-Man inspired now that you mention it.

GhaleonQ

vireland said:
It's quite a bit different than the arcade games. Same concept, but full 3D and some really cool twists. There's some good humor, too.

...Then, I'm there already!

vireland

GhaleonQ said:
...Then, I'm there already!

I'm actually surprised that there are no pics of the actual game on the internet yet. Pthe PS3 version is on display at GDC in the Sony booth.

DEADEVIL

OMFG!!!!

Been asking for this FOREVER!!!

My life is complete!!!

Bought the compilation that had it for the Wii..but HD version would be heaven..

bryehn

My parents had an arcade unit of this in their comic store for 3-4 years (people just kept playing it). Needless to say I love Burger Time. I often cite it as my favourite game of all-time. Very strategic take on what Pac-Man had established, had resources, etc.

If they butcher this, so help me God.

Also, Burnin' Rubber next please. And Bad Dudes, Karnov and whatever else DE had.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/0...simple-remake-of-burgertime-with-hd-graphics/

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153222p1.html

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/03/burgertime-hd-level-complete-gameplay?objectid=101936

On the build I was playing, there were two modes available. Burger Battle is a mode that will be familiar to BurgerTime veterans, because it's essentially a fresher take on the core gameplay from the original game. In the old BurgerTime, the main character named Peter Pepper would run around a screen full of platforms, ladders and enemies in an attempt to reunite stray pieces of a burger. The two halves of a bun on the screen would need to be combined with the vegetables and meat at the heart of the burger to ultimately finish the stage. Meanwhile, Peter has to avoid (or destroy) enemies and pull off some artful ladder-climbing and platforming to stay alive and complete the task at hand.

Most of this remains the same in BurgerTime HD, though there are some minor tweaks that BurgerTime purists will no doubt spot (most notably the busier screens with more obstacles and enemies than usual). The second mode is called Rocket Race, and it completely turns the BurgerTime formula on its head. Peter will have to run through labyrinth-like screens collecting rockets that he can use to sputter around. By rocketing around, dodging enemies and other deadly obstacles, Peter can again reunite the stray parts of a burger together, collecting more and more points as he completes more burgers in the time allotted.

Kolgar

I'm in like a mother.

My dad and I played this on Intellivision 'til our hands hurt. I still remember buying the game at KMart for like $34.99 when it first came out. Memories!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Burgertime was my first home console game (nes), outside of the Super Mario Bros. pack in. Fun at the time but its gameplay is about as basic as it gets, a cross between pac-man and donkey kong.

vireland

Gahiggidy said:
Burgertime was my first home console game (nes), outside of the Super Mario Bros. pack in. Fun at the time but its gameplay is about as basic as it gets, a cross between pac-man and donkey kong.

The new one is substiantally less basic. The core gameplay is there, but there are more types of enemies, more obstacles (moving platforms, dissolving platforms, rocket platforms, etc, etc), and more themed levels.

Rlan

I like the rotating thing, reminds me of Castelian:

Castelian.jpg

or Lemmings Revolution:

details_lemmings-revolution-demo-1.jpeg

My issue is with the developer, Frozen Codebase, which has made a slew of cheap looking, crappy digital games. All but one game they've done is in the red zone on metacritic.

Hopefully they can pull a Stainless games and make this great (Stainless made shit Atari 2600 "updates" on XBLA for years, then made Magic: TG and RISK: Factions, which were awesome)

Rlan said:
My issue is with the developer, Frozen Codebase, which has made a slew of cheap looking, crappy digital games. All but one game they've done is in the red zone on metacritic.

Hopefully they can pull a Stainless games and make this great (Stainless made shit Atari 2600 "updates" on XBLA for years, then made Magic: TG and RISK: Factions, which were awesome)

Jam City Rollergirls has a 7/10 and a 7.5/10. That's like a 10/10 and 10.5/10 compared to their other games scores.

Top Bottom