• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout creators spin off Crash Mode into its own game, Danger Zone

Kyonashi

DangerZone-Cover-Art-with-logo-US-Magazine-size-9.25-x-11.jpg

Polygon said:
Danger Zone is the next project from the co-founders of the studio that created the Burnout franchise, and it's a game based on the beloved Crash Mode in that series, developer Three Fields Entertainment announced today.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/26/15426928/danger-zone-crash-mode-burnout-three-fields-pc-ps4

For the love of god, pleeeeeease be good. I know Dangerous Golf wasn't particularly well received, but I was just praising how good Burnout 3 was yesterday, and I *need* this hole in my life filled with that good good wreckage.

At least the price is reasonable:
Polygon said:
Danger Zone is set for release in May on PlayStation 4 and Windows PC for $12.99 in North America, £9.99 in the U.K. and €12.99 in Europe.

Screenshots available at the Official Website:

5taquitos

I am slightly disappointed. They originally said they were using the golf game to fund a Burnout spiritual successor, and I had hoped that meant the whole package, not just one (albeit very fun) mode.

robotrock

Banned
Hope this is as incredible as it should be.

That golf game they did and the VR shooting gallery doesn't inspire much confidence, but definitely interested in this.

In MAY???

Danger Zone is set for release in May on PlayStation 4 and Windows PC for $12.99 in North America, £9.99 in the U.K. and €12.99 in Europe. For more, check out the screenshots below. There’s no word on whether a certain Kenny Loggins song will appear in the game.

For 13$???

Okay I'm sold, I expect only a fun mode, and since Burnout Revenge is one of my favorite games of all time, why not.

killroy87

It's cheap so I'll keep an eye on it, but to be clear when I said I wanted more burnout, I definitely didn't just mean crash mode. This is kinda disappointing

basefree

I am slightly disappointed. They originally said they were using the golf game to fund a Burnout spiritual successor, and I had hoped that meant the whole package, not just one (albeit very fun) mode.

Yeah, I'm hoping they're just testing the waters, and getting a quick boost in funding whilst they continue to work on a proper arcade racer. Sounds fun nonetheless, loved crash mode.

Cincaid

Sounds really interesting, hopefully it will live up to expectations (which, I admit, are lower after Dangerous Golf).

Gunship

Hmmm. Crash mode was a fun enough diversion in small doses, but as a full game? I think this will get boring quickly. There was always too much waiting around and long gaps without doing anything. I never wanted to play each crash junction more than a couple of times either.

"This could have been a way bigger game if we'd had funding, and we could have easily done another six months on it. But it's us doing it off our own back. We can afford to do about three or four months and a game of this scope."

Let us give you money directly, you guys! I have no worries that a Kickstarter for the same game would have had no issues getting funded. They probably don't want to go through with that whole process is what I'm guessing.

Cardon

Game looks awesome. It would've been great if it was a full-on Burnout style game, but it's understandable that TFE really can't do such a thing with the limited funds they have. Here's hoping the game is a hit since it would be a huge shame if TFE had to close at this point.

luffeN

"This could have been a way bigger game if we'd had funding, and we could have easily done another six months on it. But it's us doing it off our own back. We can afford to do about three or four months and a game of this scope."

Let us give you money directly, you guys! I have no worries that a Kickstarter for the same game would have had no issues getting funded. They probably don't want to go through with that whole process is what I'm guessing.

They "just" need to kickstart a Burnout 3 Remaster :D

Newboi

Man I wish these guys would get funding. My favorite mode in Burnout was actually Road Rage lol, but I definitely enjoyed crash mode as well.

I really wish EA would just get a small team to make an HD re-release of Burnout 3, or just get Blueprint Studios to do it. I wonder if music licensing makes it harder to do remakes of titles like Burnout?

danowat

Banned
Probably going to be like Dangerous Golf.

A concept that sounds amazing on paper, but doesn't deliver in real life.

atomsk

Party Pooper
my personal favorite Crash Mode was in Burnout 2.

I thought Burnout 3 was a step down when they started introducing all the pickups

but I love Crash Mode, so I'll still buy this

Zukkoyaki

Game looks cool and I hope it's successful!

Also I'm surprised nobody has backed them with some funding, especially one of the smaller European publishers like Focus Interactive, Deep Silver or THQ Nordic. A proper spiritual successor to Burnout has crazy potential especially in the modern market where arcade racers are few and far between.

Crash Mode was a nice gimmick but nothing I would play as a standalone game. The races with the takedowns are the reason why I love Burnout. We need a proper sequel to Burnout Revenge or Paradise.

I hope there are no multiplier icons and after touch and all that silly stuff. Just give me an intersection with moving vehicles to smash into like Burnout 2.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I hope there are no multiplier icons and after touch and all that silly stuff. Just give me an intersection with moving vehicles to smash into like Burnout 2.

from the gameinformer article...

The newly announced title comes out this May on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One ($12.99), and distills the gameplay qualities of Burnout 3's Crash mode into a title featuring four tutorial segments and 20 stages. Pickups litter each area, and after speeding into the intersection and causing enough damage to earn a Smashbreaker, you can explode and tumble your way to pick up the three bronze and two silver pickups in each level. Getting these spawns a gold pickup, and collecting them in order gets you a Grand Slam payoff that will surely make your mark on the stage's leaderboard

it's a shame no one has quite recaptured the puzzle magic that was Burnout 2, guess we have to keep waiting

I'd much rather have the racing mode where you try to take out as many people as possible. Better yet, just get Microsoft to make Burnout 3 the first orginal xbox game backwards compatible on XB1.

The Danger Zone is a virtual Crash Testing Facility where players step into the shoes of a dangerous driver and are challenged to survive a variety of spectacular crash testing scenarios.

Hmm. Being stuck in that one dull, dark looking environment seems like it'd get old real fast. Half the fun of crash mode was that you were causing mass traffic chaos out on the streets.

kAmui-

Went to Steam to check how many owners Dangerous Golf has and once again had a moment of "oh, I already own this game". Had no idea.

The game has about 130k-150k owners. Though, it's been part of a humble bundle once so who knows how many of those are actual sales.

This looks pretty good, but I have to say I never understood the infatuation with the Crash Modes in the Burnout games. To me the racing aspects of those games were always far more compelling and exciting.

Keasar

Eeeeh, sorta in. Crash Mode was really fun and all but what I want is a full on Burnout Revenge spiritual sequel. With the racing. I really miss the Burnout series. Paradise was alright but I never liked the open race tracks that just spread everyone around. :(

Gothos

Seems more like paid tech demo :/ Maybe some bigger company will notice it and some actual game will come out of it...

Pascal

Neo Member
Many of my favorite gaming memories are from Burnout games. I'll definitely pick this up to support TFE, and hopefully we get a full Burnout game in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Went to Steam to check how many owners Dangerous Golf has and once again had a moment of "oh, I already own this game". Had no idea.

The game has about 130k-150k owners. Though, it's been part of a humble bundle once so who knows how many of those are actual sales.
It was at about 7000 copies prior.

robotrock

Banned

My fool proof sale plan is to send every Dangerous Golf owner a coupon for $3 off of their purchase of Danger Zone. Puts that marketing right in their inboxes and also brings the price to a cool neat $10.

Top Bottom