• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox games

Can you ever just acknowledge you were proven wrong without deflecting and moving goalposts just to keep on arguing some new point?
I made it clear in my original post that fans of a platform accept whatever policies the platform holder puts out. I then specifically mentioned how Sony fans accepted cloud saves behind a paywall even when it is free elsewhere. Sony fans also accepted paid online when PS3 online was originally free. Ads are no different.

PlayStation has ads just like Xbox has ads and placing more ads in F2P software is largely meaningless. It is not surprising to see you call me out for being 'wrong' yet are silent on the disingenuous comments about this particular policy affecting Game pass and $70 titles. Where was your 'goal post' commentary then? Perhaps you should look in the mirror before criticizing others.

There it is, surprised it took this long for someone to blame Phil for a nonexistent thing yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You mean it wasn't just me moving goalposts posts and mentioning unrelated things?

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Microsoft is pretty terrible with ads. It’s like having GamePass and on the dashboard it is advertising you to buy GamePass and that’s not even when your sub is about to expire. Ads on their dashboard is not context sensitive or customized at all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, fuck you.
This would be less intrusive than YouTube ads

calm down al pacino GIF

Gamerguy84

Advertisers are continually trying to find ways to get in your face. One day you will sit down on a public toilet to take a shit and a commode speaker will start talking about Cottondale or Charmin

GHG

Gold Member
Ok Joe, I don’t believe you. Anyway, imagine trying to pretend that the community now is the same as the community 10yrs ago and fantasising that that was a winning gotcha. Just looking at the reactions to our conversation is enough to dispel any myths.

But you do like talking about fiction and stuff so it’s understandable.. Quick, run back to twitter and make a post about ads

Jesus christ, get help.

Also, you weren't on this forum 10 years ago, so what would you know?

Last edited:

reksveks

That’s going to break immersion. Imagine playing a game set in 80’s and you see an ad that showcases technology made in the 2000’s. See the issue.
Except those game probably won't have ads or if they do, the creatives would have to be approved.

This isn't new.

GHG

Gold Member
People are seriously defending ads?

What the.. so you don't think DLC are enough for publishers?

At this point I'm starting to believe certain people would feel more at home playing mobile games. Because that's where we're heading at breakneck pace. Nice summary of how we got where we are today, and worst thing about it, this isn't even the end-game:

Elysion

Banned
In-game ads is one of these things that people have been talking about for many years, but for some reason it never really materialized (at least not outside the mobile space, with some exceptions). It‘s kind of surprising actually, considering that publishers and platform holders had no problems putting subscriptions and mtx wherever they could. But for some reason in-game ads on console and PC never took off.

We‘ll see if Microsoft‘s efforts will turn out to be a paradigm change on par with online subscriptions and DLCs, or just an experiment that will only be implemented in a handful of games, like with earlier examples of in-game ads.

ultrazilla

Remember when the "big companies" said that this would end up being a good thing for gamers because it would bring retail prices down on games? Yeah that worked out well. /sarcasm.

I'm only for it if actual savings are passed onto gamers.

Remember when the "big companies" said that this would end up being a good thing for gamers because it would bring retail prices down on games? Yeah that worked out well. /sarcasm.

I'm only for it if actual savings are passed onto gamers.
I can't remember. Which company led the way with $70 first party titles again? It wasn't the same company that charges $10 upgrade fees right?

Bill Gates Microsoft GIF

Don Mattrick did nothing wrong.

Always online is the future.

You own nothing.

Gamepass.

Game.

Pass.
This has nothing to do with Game pass.

ZehDon

That's a big 'Nope' from me. No way on this screwed up Earth does this program stay in the F2P realm if it generates any kind of profit. It's free money. Quake Live tried to fund itself exclusively through in-game advertisements, and it was an abject failure. If Microsoft have figured out how to make it profitable, it'll be crammed into everything and anything for the profit growth. That's how business works in 2022.

If we're happy to accept it, how long before we have advertisements in loading screens - requiring load screens to pause so the ads can finish if the game loads too quickly - for my single player "offline" game... that will still cost AUD$100.00, and feature MTX, and piece-meal DLC, and Season Pass, and "Deluxe Edition" non-sense? I bought the console. I bought the game. I pay my Game Pass subscription fee. This shit can fuck right off.

PhaseJump

Banned
I can't wait.

burn-it-down-all.gif

Imagine them indexing and profiling desktop files for ads for profiles and shadow profiles, as they already do; and throwing it at associated Xbox profiles in a game as suggested advertising. Imagine having your family playing Xbox and getting targeted advertising from the main account's browsing history on a machine elsewhere in the house. I personally just discretely bought a brand new bed mattress for my house and now every space I see on all of my machines is throwing ads at me to buy another one, and it's been the greatest thing since sliced bread. Holy fuck, I can't wait.

I expect anime tiddies and other weird shit to be flying around on screen, and lots of families glaring at each other. Give it to us, Xbox. Give us the chaos of targeted advertising. Throw pregnancy test ads at people because their daughter looked up information online. Out the kids or the spouse as being super gay and into Resetera. The possibilities for strife and torment are endless! Jump in! Feel True Power!

bobs-burgers-louise-belcher.gif

I'm joking. I can wait. Fuck ads. I'm switching to Arch full time once Windows 10 is EOL. I love my decades with Xbox, but I am peacing the fuck out on this whole angle... Unless I can get a pizza button on my dashboard. Then we will talk, Phil... HNNNNNG-Cowabunga.

Shmunter

There was a company during the 360 era that did this, they went bust.

Edit, maybe these guys…..

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

At this point I'm starting to believe certain people would feel more at home playing mobile games. Because that's where we're heading at breakneck pace. Nice summary of how we got where we are today, and worst thing about it, this isn't even the end-game:

Depends on the intrusiveness, obviously. Do I care if EA puts paid advertising around stadiums in sports games (in positions where these ads would appear in real life anyway)? Not at all. Same with billboards in virtual cities or TV/Radio ads that play as you walk by a shop window on a virtual street.

What would bother me is commercial breaks that play in between levels, or are forced before starting matches, or extremely in-your-face product placements, etc.

Thus, I'll reserve judgement until I see the scope of whatever it is they are doing.

Heavy targeting like @ PhaseJump PhaseJump mentions would be an obvious no, LOL.

Last edited:

Ultra Donny

Don't know about others, but I rather see them working on games that justify my purchase of an series X over my one X before the ads hit my game's.

Top Bottom