• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox games

Kagey K

Banned
Don't know about others, but I rather see them working on games that justify my purchase of an series X over my one X before the ads hit my game's.
I imagine the same teams working on those games, are working on this.

They are all spending thier time developing this. Can't have an international mulitibillion dollar company multitasking.

Ultra Donny

I imagine the same teams working on those games, are working on this.

They are all spending thier time developing this. Can't have an international mulitibillion dollar company multitasking.

I understand that it's not the same teams, I get that it's multitasking, but hey you have to admit that it's not a good look? Or are you happy with the state of games on Series X?

Kagey K

Banned
I understand that it's not the same teams, I get that it's multitasking, but hey you have to admit that it's not a good look? Or are you happy with the state of games on Series X?
I've got plenty to play.

I don't judge games based on thier exclusivity, but going forward even if I did there seems to only be one company with next Gen only games going forward.

So take for that what you will.

What's your big PS5 banger that makes you forget the PS4 existed in 2022?

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
zfi3qs0hpwx61.png
😂😂😂😂

Ultra Donny

I've got plenty to play.

I don't judge games based on thier exclusivity, but going forward even if I did there seems to only be one company with next Gen only games going forward.

Well I'm deep in to Elden ring and guardians of the galaxy through game pass. So I don't complain about the amount of games begin produced. Don't own a PS 5 so I have not been able to try it out and I would say it's the same situation there. I want what the marketing department promised us. Gameplay brought to us powered by these next generation machines not possible on last gen. Maybe I'm to impatient, but it has been 1,5 years since they were released.

dcmk7

Banned
I've got plenty to play.

Wasn't even a single mention of Sony or PS5 but you felt the need to make a mention of them anyway :messenger_grinning_smiling: this news is solely about Microsoft.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Makes sens this would be another great “innovation” coming from Microsoft. First the games will be free and eventually it will like cable in which you pay and still get commercials.

Oh, sweet summer child..
So the article is lying and this isn't about ads in F2P titles its about ads in Game pass games. Let's go down the rabbit hole then. When do you expect them announce ads for titles on Game pass? Of course that will also mean normal retail titles will have ads too seeing how Game pass doesn't offer exclusive games. Oh that will also mean 3rd party multiplatform titles will have ads on Xbox exclusively and Sony will defend gamers from ads right? Looking forward to seeing this all play out.

dcmk7

Banned
So the article is lying and this isn't about ads in F2P titles its about ads in Game pass games. Let's go down the rabbit hole then. When do you expect them announce ads for titles on Game pass? Of course that will also mean normal retail titles will have ads too seeing how Game pass doesn't offer exclusive games. Oh that will also mean 3rd party multiplatform titles will have ads on Xbox exclusively and Sony will defend gamers from ads right? Looking forward to seeing this all play out.
Why are you and so many others in this thread so intent of mentioning Sony on every post? If you stop warring for a moment maybe you can see the bigger picture.

Robb

Gold Member
This sounds awful. I can just imagine playing Halo Infinite and seeing a Coca-Cola billboard in the background of the map..

Infamy v1

You just wait. MS doing shady things with Ads.

Got to have ROI from those billions spent at some point.

MS is also an ad company with Bing.

The shareholders will demand that Gamepass eventually become profitable. They just need to get as many subscribers as they can over the next few years before the real monetizing can start.

Disgusting, I guess this is where you end up when you give up on selling games.

One step closer to mobile the wasteland, congratulations MS, what a great vision for what games should be.

"The xbox one series was built with advertising in mind"

Gamepass getting all the good stuff.

What's next? Games being released in chapters like Netflix instead of full games?

This aged like fine milk.

Lol, all the Xbox posters here are completely fine with this. Shocking. And I'm sure if it was PlayStation doing this, those same guys wouldn't have ANY issues with that either.

Watch this cause legality issues ten years from now where games are pulled down because of some copyright issues pertaining to ads found in the game.

Soon on games on gamepass 😏

Can you ever just acknowledge you were proven wrong without deflecting and moving goalposts just to keep on arguing some new point?

Really glad i haven't spent a dollar into any Microsoft product.

Bill Gates Microsoft GIF

Don Mattrick did nothing wrong.

Always online is the future.

You own nothing.

Gamepass.

Game.

Pass.

So at this point you know you're unable to defend Microsoft here.

So you fall back on blaming Sony for something totally unrelated.. That's laughably bad and sad in equal measure.

I almost thought I stumbled into the butt thread with so much ass being shown.

Oh, sweet summer child..

Makes sens this would be another great “innovation” coming from Microsoft. First the games will be free and eventually it will like cable in which you pay and still get commercials.

Eager to see Sony shills backpedal out of this one with a smile on their face:

tenor.gif

It didn't even last a week, lmao. Oooof...

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Nice to see Don Mattrick's influence spreading to PlayStation 👌 (this sucks for the entire industry no matter which ecosystem you choose to game in).

Eager to see Sony shills backpedal out of this one with a smile on their face:

tenor.gif

It didn't even last a week, lmao. Oooof...
If Sony is going down the same path fuck Sony too, grow up man, not everything is about console wars.

You are the only clown here, shilling for adds on games.

You are excited because something bad that was happening to Xbox now might be happening to PlayStation too, instead of just calling it what it is.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

You go warrior!

"I advertise for PlayStation. For free."

Shitty practice for Microsoft...shitty practice for Sony. It's really that simple.

Keep that same energy.

If Sony is going down the same path fuck Sony too, grow up man, not everything is about console wars.

You are the only clown here, shilling for adds on games.

You are excited because something bad that was happening to Xbox now might be happening to PlayStation too, instead of just calling it what it is.

You're incredibly full of shit and everyone knows it. First, Sony isn't going down the same path as MS. Both companies have cared deeply about ads since before you were a twinkle in your father's eye. Secondly, show me where I'm shilling for ads? Exactly, you can't. Finally, to address your edit, nothing "bad" happened to Xbox; that was a rumor and so is this. Nice try, though. If you close your eyes and wish really, really hard, maybe your FUD will come true!

"I advertise for PlayStation. For free."

Keep that same energy.

You're incredibly full of shit and everyone knows it. First, Sony isn't going down the same path as MS. Both companies have cared deeply about ads since before you were a twinkle in your father's eye. Secondly, show me where I'm shilling for ads? Exactly, you can't. Finally, to address your edit, nothing "bad" happened to Xbox; that was a rumor and so is this. Nice try, though. If you close your eyes and wish really, really hard, maybe your FUD will come true!
Your a shilling for adds in this exact same post, what are you on about? You have a problem that I have a problem with trash mobile monetization practices making their way to consoles? Get a hold of yourself.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I very much doubt this will be a thing, especially on licensed sports games
Selling ad space doesn't mean everything's for sale in equal measure.
And ime it worked just fine in sports games. Brand interest always outstripped technical capabilities of typical game frameworks though, so cost effectiveness was more of a problem than legalese. ie. If platform holders solved that(its a big if, ms doesnt have any history of good publishing/operations tool chains) , it could kick some doors very wide open...

Infamy v1

Your a shilling for adds in this exact same post, what are you on about? You have a problem that I have a problem with trash mobile monetization practices making their way to consoles? Get a hold of yourself.

Your feeble attempts at deflection are hilariously bad.

shill​

verb
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈshil \
shilled; shilling; shills

Definition of shill

(Entry 1 of 2)
intransitive verb
1: to act as a shill
2: to act as a spokesperson or promoter
"the eminent Shakespearean producer … is now shilling for a brokerage house"— Andy Rooney

Last edited:
Your feeble attempts at deflection are hilariously bad.

shill​

verb
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈshil \
shilled; shilling; shills

Definition of shill

(Entry 1 of 2)
intransitive verb
1: to act as a shill
2: to act as a spokesperson or promoter
"the eminent Shakespearean producer … is now shilling for a brokerage house"— Andy Rooney
So, exaclty what you are doing then?

I'll give credit to MS or Sony where it's due and I'll criticize both when I feel like they deserve the criticism. I'm not keeping score or trying to balance things, If I criticize MS more is because they are displeasing me more.

I'll leave this discussion here, feel free to keep talking to yourself.

Last edited:
So apparently since if I don't post about it ITT too I'm a Sony fanboy 🙄....

I don't care who's doing it; if you're putting Youtube-style ads in the middle of games, especially games I've already paid in full for, then you can go kick rocks. Microsoft or Sony (or Nintendo, though they flat-out lack the infrastructure to do it...thankfully). The Microsoft rumor is that it'd be limited to F2P games...okay don't those already make enough money through in-game purchases?

Fine, let's say they do it anyway, we know it won't stop with just F2P games. Why would it? Condition people enough with F2P games, then you'll get it in games you're paying for anyway. If it's a necessary evil, the buck should stop with F2P and games in a service like GamePass, IMHO. You pay for GamePass and that's basically like paying for Cox cable or Dish, but the content you watch through those on the cable channels still have ads in them. Well, that's GamePass, in a nutshell, and even then a higher tier should probably be available to disable the ads altogether.

The only other way this would work is if the ads are just fully integrated like how they did in games such as Burnout Paradise (or for a more extensive example, Crazy Taxi, which had full-blown KFC and Taco Bell building assets in it). That would be the ideal way, but we know MS, Sony or whoever would drag their feet on that method because it'd require a lot more work on their end and also on that of developers in general. Suddenly third-party devs would be required to write in code to support that type of feature, make assets for the advertising space and also need to make sure the assets could be altered easily.

Microsoft & Sony would have to pay 3P publishers fees for taking that work unto themselves (or even if MS & Sony made an API package and free assets that could be plugged into 3P games, would have to pay publishers for using them), and the 3P publishers would want a cut of any generated revenue those ads brought from their games. Just a super-complicated and messy process and word is MS want to implement theirs by the end of this year. Doubt they've had any time to sort those logistics out (and if they had...why can't we get more gameplay footage of 1P games outside of E3 and TGAs?).

So I doubt that second method is going to be possible, at least for a few years, and the first one already does damage, it's just about mitigating it to F2P and GamePass-like subscription service content. If Microsoft AND Sony are doing this, and it's like the first option, and spreads out beyond F2P/game subscription services...they can both go take a hike.

Sony is doing the same now. So it must be something good!11!1
How insecure are you? If Sony is doing the same fuck them too, specially Jim Ryan. If I wanted to see random adds I would play trashy mobile games.

You don't have to worry about me not critizising Sony when I don't like what they are doing, I do it all the time.

Last edited:
The insecure one here seems to be you. Easily triggered by such a simple bait. Relax dude, we have had in-game ads since forever.
Says you, if you like what is going on with mobile games maybe just keep at that and don't cheer these things making their way to consoles. I'll keep paying for my games and I don't want random adds on them.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I don't care who's doing it; if you're putting Youtube-style ads in the middle of games, especially games I've already paid in full for, then you can go kick rocks. Microsoft or Sony (or Nintendo, though they flat-out lack the infrastructure to do it...thankfully). The Microsoft rumor is that it'd be limited to F2P games...okay don't those already make enough money through in-game purchases?

Fine, let's say they do it anyway, we know it won't stop with just F2P games. Why would it? Condition people enough with F2P games, then you'll get it in games you're paying for anyway. If it's a necessary evil, the buck should stop with F2P and games in a service like GamePass, IMHO. You pay for GamePass and that's basically like paying for Cox cable or Dish, but the content you watch through those on the cable channels still have ads in them. Well, that's GamePass, in a nutshell, and even then a higher tier should probably be available to disable the ads altogether.

The only other way this would work is if the ads are just fully integrated like how they did in games such as Burnout Paradise (or for a more extensive example, Crazy Taxi, which had full-blown KFC and Taco Bell building assets in it). That would be the ideal way, but we know MS, Sony or whoever would drag their feet on that method because it'd require a lot more work on their end and also on that of developers in general. Suddenly third-party devs would be required to write in code to support that type of feature, make assets for the advertising space and also need to make sure the assets could be altered easily.

Microsoft & Sony would have to pay 3P publishers fees for taking that work unto themselves (or even if MS & Sony made an API package and free assets that could be plugged into 3P games, would have to pay publishers for using them), and the 3P publishers would want a cut of any generated revenue those ads brought from their games. Just a super-complicated and messy process and word is MS want to implement theirs by the end of this year. Doubt they've had any time to sort those logistics out (and if they had...why can't we get more gameplay footage of 1P games outside of E3 and TGAs?).

So I doubt that second method is going to be possible, at least for a few years, and the first one already does damage, it's just about mitigating it to F2P and GamePass-like subscription service content. If Microsoft AND Sony are doing this, and it's like the first option, and spreads out beyond F2P/game subscription services...they can both go take a hike.
Ignore the retard baby shit. Just like my comment was quoted, with the typical brand WARship projectionism. My comment that was about both sides showing their ass. Which they continue to, all just to "own the other side of the babynuts wars."

Agreed completely with you as well.

Ignore the retard baby shit. Just like my comment was quoted, with the typical brand WARship projectionism. My comment that was about both sides showing their ass. Which they continue to, all just to "own the other side of the babynuts wars."

Agreed completely with you as well.

Yeah, this is something to be wary about way beyond one console vs. the other. I wouldn't like the industry itself trending this way.

At least for now, though, I'll give them both some benefit of the doubt. It seems the plan really is to do it Burnout Paradise-style which, I know a lot of people still wouldn't appreciate, but at least for me they could be ignored and won't really break immersion that much unless the ad feels completely out of place (like an anti-depressant ad in Knack 3, or a BP oil ad in Everwild :S).

But even the articles say they might float ideas like full Youtube-style ads in game lobbies and I'm just like...why? Not to mention the very real possibility of intrusive data collection on users by ad agencies and the companies using the games for advertising. How do Microsoft and Sony plan to make sure that doesn't happen?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, this is something to be wary about way beyond one console vs. the other. I wouldn't like the industry itself trending this way.

At least for now, though, I'll give them both some benefit of the doubt. It seems the plan really is to do it Burnout Paradise-style which, I know a lot of people still wouldn't appreciate, but at least for me they could be ignored and won't really break immersion that much unless the ad feels completely out of place (like an anti-depressant ad in Knack 3, or a BP oil ad in Everwild :S).

But even the articles say they might float ideas like full Youtube-style ads in game lobbies and I'm just like...why? Not to mention the very real possibility of intrusive data collection on users by ad agencies and the companies using the games for advertising. How do Microsoft and Sony plan to make sure that doesn't happen?
I mean, we already see it with sports games and GT7.

GT7 has so much real world ads on signage as well as decals from performance brands for tracks and cars, it's staggering. No commercials, no advertisements, if you want to go to the products site, it has a video link with a brief history under the car brands (to actually car shop or brake shop IRL), etc..

Adds to the overall realism in a real world racing game, IMO.

Now if we ever reach the "skip ad in 5... 4..." ... then, I'm out.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned

You know all this will implode and backfire... just like it is happening with youtube. The gaming industry has been going down in quality and new IPs for a long time... the only ideas putting coming out is how much money they can make for the less amount of effort.
Clients/buyers come first, something that corporations, Devs etc only remember when we stop buying their stuff.

I am not surprised of what gaming companies are willing to try/how far they will go to see if fans accept it. History tells us that we as a collective do accept anything no matter what brand, dev - we never think as a group, we think as fans of a brand.

The problem with your slippery slope argument is that Game pass, which you've already acknowledged this article was NOT about, has full retail games on it. It does NOT have exclusive Game pass only content so you guys are basically arguing that ALL games on Xbox will have intrusive ads whether they are retail, sub service or F2P. There is no evidence of this and it smells strongly of FUD.

Forgive some of the Xbox fans here if they respond with hostility to arguments made that are disingenuous at best which is a recurring theme when it comes to just about anything Xbox. Since ads are not a new thing in games the entire reaction from many here who don't have an Xbox at all rings mighty hollow.

dcmk7

Banned
Since ads are not a new thing in games the entire reaction from many here who don't have an Xbox at all rings mighty hollow.
So you're defending more ads? You've previously defended Xbox Live Gold price hikes so it's hardly surprising.

Looking at the contents of this thread a lot of Xbox owners don't like the idea of it.

And looking at the Sony thread a lot of PlayStation owners don't like it either.

You should stop seeing everything as a console war battleground and look at the bigger picture here.

Top Bottom