• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: Nintendo's stock rose 33% since Friday. It's highest since 1983.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/nintendo-stock-price-july-11-2016-7
https://twitter.com/DavidInglesTV/status/752303662215618560

Pokémon Go is taking over the world.

This is good for Nintendo.

And in early trading in Tokyo on Monday, shares of Nintendo went absolutely parabolic, rising as much as 23%. Shares of Nintendo rose about 10% on Friday.

According to Bloomberg’s David Ingles in Hong Kong, this is the best one-day move for the stock since 1983.

In-fucking-credible.

EDIT: To be more clear, the 23% rise is the single biggest rise in stock value in a single day since 1983. In Japan.

Mesoian

Part of me was thinking about buying nintendo stock before go was released. More of me knows that playing the stock is something I could never commit to though.

Oh well. "Damn, the one week I don't play the numbers..."

Pokémon Go success is unbelievable to me. Almost everyone I know is playing it and we are talking people from kids to full grown adults.

This thing is crazy

dream

Man, I remember stockholders imploring Nintendo to go mobile years ago, and people kept talking about what idiots those people are, and how it would be the end of Nintendo if they did that.

The power of Pokemon Go.

I haven't actually played a game in the series since Red/Blue (Yellow technically) but I'm all in on this, and so is pretty much everyone I know.

But... I'm not sure what this says about Nintendo's future honestly. If they find success like this in the mobile realm and aren't able to approach it with their actual consoles? I guess we will see how the NX goes down, but I think they have a massive and in some ways unprecedented success on their hands for now.

Man, I remember stockholders imploring Nintendo to go mobile years ago, and people kept talking about what idiots those people are, and how it would be the end of Nintendo if they did that.

It's fine as long as they don't do something like go completely mobile. Currently they're just using this stuff to support their brands, as they should be.

EhoaVash

Very weird how Nintendo isn't capitalizing on this app

Like No nnid/ my Nintendo log in prompt on the app.

Hope this shows them how they fucked up with miitomo so their next mobile game is actually a game

Neoxon

To think that the most successful Nintendo mobile game is one that isn't technically a part of their mobile initiative. Congrats to everyone involved.

MisterHero

Grinding, rule changing, and Pay 2 Win can still ruin this game.

It doesn't matter if they have a bunch of whales after all that if the game sucks.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, that title is a bit misleading. Perhaps it could be edited to say "its biggest % jump since 1983"?

I'm curious where this will level out and what things will look like in 3 months. Even if this doesn't hold, Nintendo still has a sudden surge of income from PGO. And, I'm not sure if the Nintendo logo is present in the app, but it could definitely boost brand positivity and potentially make for a brighter welcome for NX.

A positive narrative for Nintendo can only help the narrative of its products.

Most likely pokemon Go. It's really barebones right now. It sure was exciting when I started it though but we'll see how it is further along.

Neoxon

Vwry weird how Nintendo isn't capitalizing on this app

Like No nnid/ my Nintendo log in prompt on the app.
While Nintendo was involved, they didn't do most of the development. That said, I could see My Nintendo support getting added later.

Ashby

I mean...no.

It's lightning in a bottle, but as a game, it's shallow and dry, but people are having a blast just running around catching pokemon.

Having a blast is the point of a game.

This game is potentially doing that for far more people much more quickly than any Nintendo game ever has.

So yeah, absolutely in the running for best game.

The investors were entirely right about mobile and Nintendo's need to get into that market. I've never understood people that doubted that Nintendo could succeed there.

This is the biggest game Nintendo has been involved with since Wii Sports.

random25

I wonder if they still have doubts about releasing Mario on mobile

I can't see a mainline Mario or a platformer Mario game being made in the near future for mobile. Unless they make it like Temple Run or something lol.

Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are great choices for them to try out first in mobile. AC because of its massive appeal without complex controls and FE because it's turn-based (S)RPG which is already a popular genre in gaming apps.

jwhit28

I wonder if they built in a way to reward people that pick up Pokemon Sun and Moon? Maybe they could include $10 in credit and an exclusive Pokemon or something.

TheXbox

The mobile transition is all but assured now. Nintendo was always going to be safe with the strength of their IP, but this is unprecedented.

The investors were entirely right about mobile and Nintendo's need to get into that market. I've never understood people that doubted that Nintendo could succeed there.

Can you imagine mario kart carefully optimized for ios/droid? Would be amazing (for company and consumer).

I can't see a mainline Mario or a platformer Mario game being made in the near future for mobile. Unless they make it like Temple Run or something lol.

Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are great choices for them to try out first in mobile. AC because of its massive appeal without complex controls and FE because it's turn-based (S)RPG which is already a popular genre in gaming apps.

Pokemon Go shows that you can transition franchises over to mobile without copying the mechanics 1:1. You could make a Mario mobile game that people would want to play.

Top Bottom