Businesses are now required to pledge loyalty to Israel in order to bid on contracts with the state of Maryland.

Feb 22, 2018
What do certain auto part suppliers, contractors and barbers in Maryland all have in common?
In order to bid for procurement contracts with the State to provide services or goods, they must effectively first pledge loyalty to Israel.
If this doesn’t concern you, it should.
Governor Hogan’s executive order requires businesses with state contracts to promise they will not boycott the state of Israel.
It targets the international Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement – a global campaign that promotes peaceful, economic boycott to protest Israel’s human rights violations against Palestinians.
And it is unethical, unconstitutional and downright dangerous – especially because it prioritizes the interests of a foreign government that is in violation of international law above Marylanders’ own First Amendment rights.
After it was signed, two proponents of Governor Hogan’s anti-BDS executive order, Delegates Sandy Rosenberg and Shelley Hettleman, hailed it as an emphatic affirmation of Maryland’s “commitment to support the only real democracy in the Middle East” – meaning Israel.
What they and others don’t realize or choose to acknowledge is that in 2018, the Israeli parliament voted to pass a controversial “nation-state” bill that debunks the notion that Israel is a democratic state.
This bill reserves the right to exercise national self-determination in Israel exclusively to the Jewish people; establishes Hebrew as Israel’s official language, regaling Arabic to a “special status”; designates “Jewish settlement” as a national value; and mandates Jewish settlement to be actively encouraged and promoted by the state.
Religious pluralism is a hallmark characteristic of any democracy. Imagine a U.S. law mandating only one faith community as being entitled to the right to self-determination in the United States. Every American who values freedom of religion would categorically reject it.
Palestinians make up the vast majority of Arabs who comprise approximately one-fifth of Israel’s population. The “nation-state law” is described by many as a “slap in the face.”
In fact, upon learning that it had passed, Arab parliamentary members ripped up copies of the bill and shouted “APARTHEID” on the floor of the Knesset.
Who can blame them? This legislation codifies racism into law and exposes a nefarious, sinister agenda.
Its passage has sparked a fierce, heated debate over the very nature of Israel itself.
Having personally recently returned from the Holy Land where daily injustices and aggressions inflicted on both Muslim and Christian Palestinians across the region are the norm, Governor Hogan’s anti-BDS Executive Order is exceptionally difficult to digest.
For decades, Palestinians have been forced to endure dehumanization, abuse, blanket criminalization and systemic oppression with little intercession by global powers.
Their ability to secure freedom and liberation through such non-violent means of protest must be protected. Contrary to zionist allegations, advocating for basic human rights for Palestinians isn’t anti-Semitic; it is pro-humanity.
The continued expansion of illegal Israeli settlements in Palestine remains among the biggest obstacles to lasting peace in the region.
Irrespective of personal views on the occupation, nothing justifies requiring U.S. businesses contracting with the state to first profess loyalty to a foreign government .
The State of Maryland should never side with any nation that imposes supremacy and enforces a permanent “second-class citizen” status on its minority groups.
It compromises first amendment freedoms, sanctions unjust policies, chills free speech, and sets a dangerous precedent that jeopardizes Marylanders’ interests.
History has shown that economic boycott helps create positive change. It is a time-honored tactic that was instrumental in ridding South Africa of apartheid, and in advancing the civil rights movement in the United States.
It’s worth noting that Governor Hogan signed this EO after a similar bill that would also have forbidden the state from investing pension funds in any companies that boycott Israel, failed to pass in state legislature in 2017.
It must be reversed because it is contrary to the values of democracy, equality and pluralism, and simply has no place in our state.
Every constituent in Maryland should be concerned that any lawmaker or elected official would prioritize racist, xenophobic policies over Americans’ constitutionally protected right to peacefully express discord of any government’s unethical actions.
Special interest groups and their representatives don’t have to like it, but Israel is no exception.
https://mondoweiss.net/2019/01/maryland-governments-violations/

Any thoughts on this breach of national sovereignty? As an Australian, I know very well what it is like to have ones domestic social and economic issues dictated by foreign governments.

May 10, 2009
I like Israel as much as anyone but this is crazy.

Edit- Checking this out again it’s not as bad as I first thought.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2014
USA
This is hyperbole. Requiring businesses abstain from the controversial, and oftentimes anti-semitic, BDS movement is nowhere near synonymous with a requirement "to pledge loyalty to Israel."

Public contracting at the state and local level often has requirements with foreign restrictions, such as doing business in Iran or Sudan, or sourcing from Northern Ireland. The Maryland statute is no more an infringement on freedom of speech or association than these are.

However, these are often derived from federal resolutions. And that's the only part that gives me pause here, in that it allows states to influence foreign policy. I'm a Constitutionalist, and just as I believe Washington bureaucrats or national judges should not be dictating abortion or marriage law to sovereign, self-governing states, I likewise believe that international relations should be solely within the purview of the federal government.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
If this gets people all indignant I would like to remind people of how much business those who were too chummy with the USSR got from the US government during the Red Scare. Israel is a valued ally, like it or not, and it's well within the right of an elected government to be selective where its tax dollars go.

Edit - For those who want this decision reversed, convince the people of MD to elect representatives who will vote to reverse this decision. That's how you do it.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
If this gets people all indignant I would like to remind people of how much business those who were too chummy with the USSR got from the US government during the Red Scare. Israel is a valued ally, like it or not, and it's well within the right of an elected government to be selective where its tax dollars go.

Edit - For those who want this decision reversed, convince the people of MD to elect representatives who will vote to reverse this decision. That's how you do it.
I think Israel should be allowed to exist as a state. But they don't deserve anymore recognition than that.

It just gives Middle Eastern countries yet another reason to hate the West when we continue to throw support at them for occupying the Palestinians.

I think their usefulness ended after the USSR collapsed and America established relations with Egypt.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
Texas has something similar in place, where people who contract with the state must sign a loyalty pledge to Israel. It caused a Palestinian school teacher to be fired because she refused to sign it. I thought that was stupid then, and I think this is stupid now.

...it's well within the right of an elected government to be selective where its tax dollars go.
I don't know man. This feel suspiciously like compelled speech, which is something the government absolutely does not have the right to do. It's kind of rule number one in the big old rulebook, if you know what I mean.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I don't know man. This feel suspiciously like compelled speech, which is something the government absolutely does not have the right to do. It's kind of rule number one in the big old rulebook, if you know what I mean.
In what way does a condition for consideration for a government contract equate with government censure of free speech? If MD were fining, taxing, revoking professional liscenses, or imprisoning local businesses for participating in this organization then I would be right there with you in calling bullshit. No private company, nor individual has an intrinsic right to compel the State to grant them a business contract with public funds.

While I do hold a lot of respect for Israel, that is beyond the point. It could be California severing ties with companies that do business with the NRA, and I would still support California's right to do so even though I disagree with it.

Dec 3, 2018
In what way does a condition for consideration for a government contract equate with government censure of free speech? If MD were fining, taxing, revoking professional liscenses, or imprisoning local businesses for participating in this organization then I would be right there with you in calling bullshit. No private company, nor individual has an intrinsic right to compel the State to grant them a business contract with public funds.
I mentioned "compelled speech". You might want to start your Google search there.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I mentioned "compelled speech". You might want to start your Google search there.
In what way is MD attempting to compell speech from a constitutional perspective? How is a private contractor not having access to public funds considered censure? Obama issued an executive order barring LGBT discrimination in all federal contractors, and while I would have preferred that happen legislatively since that's how these things are supposed to happen, it certainly wasn't overturned by the courts.

Dec 3, 2018
In what way is MD attempting to compell speech from a constitutional perspective? How is a private contractor not having access to public funds considered censure? Obama issued an executive order barring LGBT discrimination in all federal contractors, and while I would have preferred that happen legislatively since that's how these things are supposed to happen, it certainly wasn't overturned by the courts.
Here's some choice quotes from literally the first result returned by searching "compelled speech":

The first amendment mandate that "Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech" implies a stricture against compelling or coercing persons to engage in speech they do not wish to make—either because they disagree with the speech or because they wish to remain silent.
High-value speech (such as a loyalty oath or support for an expressive association) may not be coerced, but low-value or low-cost or content-neutral speech (such as disclosure of relevant facts in the sale of goods or securities) may be coerced. Government award, or threat of denial of benefits (like licensing, tax relief, subsidy, employment, or admission to the bar) conditioned on expression by the recipient may also unconstitutionally compel expression, apparently without regard to the magnitude of the benefits.
I mean, this LITERALLY talks about loyalty oaths and how denial of benefits (like employment) unconstitutionally compels speech. It's right there in paragraph two. Compelled speech is a constitutionally solved issue of free speech. There isn't anything in this loyalty oath that hasn't been tried before and been found to be unconstitutional. And guess what, someone is going to challenge this one, just like the fired school teacher in Texas, and it too will be found to be unconstitutional. Eventually. And beyond being illegal as fuck, it's also sleazy as fuck.

Is there anything else you'd like me to google for you? Maybe I can find a good website on how to do web searches?

Apr 3, 2018

While I do hold a lot of respect for Israel, that is beyond the point. It could be California severing ties with companies that do business with the NRA, and I would still support California's right to do so even though I disagree with it.
How is being forced to believe something that you don't as a prerequisite for obtaining public contracts not "censure of free speech"?

What's concerning here is that if this is accepted, a dangerous and strange precedent will have been set.

Imagine if next year a different state requires allegiance to Saudi Arabia before being given consideration for public contracts. Would you be OK with that?

Dec 12, 2013
Lol @ the hyperbole and spin of that title. Saying you won't boycott Israel doesn't mean you're pledging loyalty to them. It just means you'll consider any of their offers fairly as you would any other, without bias. I'm guessing they have to do this because of rampant anti-semitism because it's got surely nothing to do with Israel's policies since their are tons of nations that have way worse policies that US companies do business with on a daily basis so let's not try to paint this as some kind of hard stance on policies.

Apr 3, 2018
Lol @ the hyperbole and spin of that title. Saying you won't boycott Israel doesn't mean you're pledging loyalty to them. It just means you'll consider any of their offers fairly as you would any other, without bias. I'm guessing they have to do this because of rampant anti-semitism because it's got surely nothing to do with Israel's policies since their are tons of nations that have way worse policies that US companies do business with on a daily basis so let's not try to paint this as some kind of hard stance on policies.
So you would be OK if states asked for allegiance to a muslim country like Saudi Arabia before you were eligible for any public contracts?

Dec 12, 2013
So you would be OK if states asked for allegiance to a muslim country like Saudi Arabia before you were eligible for any public contracts?
Like I said it has nothing to do with pledging allegiance, just promising to consider fair offers without prejudice so I don't know why you're purposely phrasing it wrong in your question. Secondly I never said it was a good thing or that I approved of it. I just said that they must have to resort to this due to rampant anti-semitism and actual boycotts happening. I don't think any businesses are actively boycotting Saudi Arabia so your question is moot.

Apr 3, 2018
Like I said it has nothing to do with pledging allegiance, just promising to consider fair offers without prejudice so I don't know why you're purposely phrasing it wrong in your question. Secondly I never said it was a good thing or that I approved of it. I just said that they must have to resort to this due to rampant anti-semitism and actual boycotts happening. I don't think any businesses are actively boycotting Saudi Arabia so your question is moot.
You clearly didn't read the article.

"Governor Hogan’s executive order requires businesses with state contracts to promise they will not boycott the state of Israel.". That means if you choose not to buy Israeli products, you can't get a contract with the government in the USA.

So again, if next year the Governor passed an executive order that "requires businesses with state contracts to promise they will not boycott Saudi Arabia", you will have the same opinion surely? I mean, you are a man of integrity after all, you stand by principle right?

Oct 24, 2017
I think at least it should depend if they directly deal with the country or just companies in this country. For example Germany should not allow that a German weapon company does deals with Turkey to deliver weapons. Everything else should be a private matter. Here it is the same. you can boycott the government but not discriminate against companies in Israel

Dec 12, 2013
You clearly didn't read the article.

"Governor Hogan’s executive order requires businesses with state contracts to promise they will not boycott the state of Israel.". That means if you choose not to buy Israeli products, you can't get a contract with the government in the USA.

So again, if next year the Governor passed an executive order that "requires businesses with state contracts to promise they will not boycott Saudi Arabia", you will have the same opinion surely? I mean, you are a man of integrity after all, you stand by principle right?
It's you who doesn't read and makes shit up in your head. Your whole question is based on your assumption that I somehow fully support this. Where did I say I approved of this notion, or where did I say it was a good thing? Show me the post where I praise it. All I did was formulate a hypothesis as to why it's a thing.

Also, not boycotting Israel is completely different from forcing you to buy Israeli products. Not boycotting means you won't outright reject offers based on the fact that they're Israeli offers, but it doesn't in any way force you to do business with Israeli companies. If Thailand is willing to sell you the same quality of products for a better price than Israel and you choose Thailand, you're not boycotting Israel, you just made a better deal with somebody else is all.

Feb 22, 2018
So who decides what is and isn't 'discrimination' of Israeli companies in any given scenario?

ding ding. That's right. Israeli groups.

This IS enforcement, however you spin it.

Just because shoes made in Chinese uighur concentration camps make the most economic sense because they are cheap, doesn't mean you should order them based on price alone. There's also ethics. What many Israeli contruction firms do for example is highly unethical, and illegal according to international law. Bulldozing entire populated communities. Just because they offer a great tractor shovel for a good price...doesn't mean you should be compelled to order it on price alone.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
It's you who doesn't read and makes shit up in your head. Your whole question is based on your assumption that I somehow fully support this. Where did I say I approved of this notion, or where did I say it was a good thing? Show me the post where I praise it. All I did was formulate a hypothesis as to why it's a thing.

Also, not boycotting Israel is completely different from forcing you to buy Israeli products. Not boycotting means you won't outright reject offers based on the fact that they're Israeli offers, but it doesn't in any way force you to do business with Israeli companies. If Thailand is willing to sell you the same quality of products for a better price than Israel and you choose Thailand, you're not boycotting Israel, you just made a better deal with somebody else is all.
Let me give you a hypothetical then:

Let's say a business owned by an openly homosexual man, has a contract with the government of the USA, but he loses that contract because he also boycotts Saudi businesses, despite them giving the best deals, because of their appalling human rights record. Would you still have the same opinion now of "it just to ensure that you won't outright reject offers based on the fact that they're Saudi offers".

If its a company whose main source of income is from government contracts, you have to betray your own principles or face losing your livelihood. Would that be OK?

Oct 24, 2017

Let's say a business owned by an openly homosexual man, has a contract with the government of the USA, but he loses that contract because he also boycotts Saudi businesses, despite them giving the best deals, because of their appalling human rights record. Would you still have the same opinion now of "it just to ensure that you won't outright reject offers based on the fact that they're Saudi offers".

If its a company whose main source of income is from government contracts, you have to betray your own principles or face losing your livelihood. Would that be OK?
let me give you a question. A person who is highly religious does not want to sell a wedding cake to a homosexual couple. Should this business be punished and the owner betray his religious beliefs?

On the other hand they are companies in these countries. IF you have a problem with the Government boycott the Government not the company in the country.

Apr 3, 2018
let me give you a question. A person who is highly religious does not want to sell a wedding cake to a homosexual couple. Should this business be punished and the owner betray his religious beliefs?

On the other hand they are companies in these countries. IF you have a problem with the Government boycott the Government not the company in the country.
For your comparison to make sense, it would be the other way around.

A gay couple, who choose not to buy cakes from a homophobic bakery IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, are then penalised by their OWN country. It's insane.

But the Israeli lobby is incredibly powerful in the US. Netanyahu has even boasted about it in the past.

"As noted in Haaretz, Netanyahu seems to boast of his knowledge of the US by saying, “I know what America is. America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won’t get in the way.”

And now you can add Saudi Arabia to that growing list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46676200 "A Saudi student accused of killing a teenager in a hit-and-run escaped justice with help from Saudi Arabia"

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/21/jared-kushner-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman/
SAUDI CROWN PRINCE BOASTED THAT JARED KUSHNER WAS “IN HIS POCKET”

If this is left unchallenged, expect similar "pledges of allegiances" in the future before being eligible for a public contract.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017
For your comparison to make sense, it would be the other way around.

A gay couple, who choose not to buy cakes from a homophobic bakery IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, are then penalised by their OWN country. It's insane.

But the Israeli lobby is incredibly powerful in the US. Netanyahu has even boasted about it in the past.

"As noted in Haaretz, Netanyahu seems to boast of his knowledge of the US by saying, “I know what America is. America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won’t get in the way.”

And now you can add Saudi Arabia to that growing list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46676200 "A Saudi student accused of killing a teenager in a hit-and-run escaped justice with help from Saudi Arabia"

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/21/jared-kushner-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman/
SAUDI CROWN PRINCE BOASTED THAT JARED KUSHNER WAS “IN HIS POCKET”

If this is left unchallenged, expect similar "pledges of allegiances" in the future before being eligible for a public contract.
again boycott the country itself the government not the companies in this country. What should happen is US an every other country not making deals directly with Saudi Arabia etc. You can not punish the businesses in this country.

Dec 12, 2013

Once again your question is moot since Saudi Arabia would never do business with an openly gay man. Condemn him to death sure, but not do business with him.

It's pretty easy to tell if you're boycotting Israeli companies. If they constantly offer you better deals and you reject them constantly well that means you're probably boycotting them and if you're doing it while doing business with other countries that have worse political policies then you're probably an anti-semite.

Honestly I don't really have a strong opinion either way on the matter, be it if it's Israel or Saudi Arabia. What I care more about is that all these businesses are paying their taxes properly.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I think a mod should change the title first off and the OP should bring a better source then Mondoweiss whats next Electronic intifada?

There is no compelling anyone to pledge "loyalty". Thats clearly a sensational title to invoke antisemetic canards (Jews aren't loyal to the countries they live in...). Like the case in texas when you leave the company you can do what you want in your personal life and BDS whoever you want. As a business though you cannot discriminate. Its funny because everyone is getting this twisted with there analogies.

This is more like saying you can't boycott gays or blacks not forcing people to kiss the Kabba and perform Tawaf. Being against BDS is not pledging loyalty to Israel.

And guess what USA is a democracy, you don't like it speak to your representatives. The people in Maryland correctly see that BDS is about destroying Israel and is antisemetic and they want nothing to do with it. Thats their democratic choice. If you want to support BDS then bring that up to your elected official. Just maybe you are in the minority who support it and most sane people are against boycotting Jews.

But spin and anti discrimination law somehow into a discriminatory one. The law doesn't force any discrimination, its the opposite where it says that you cannot discriminate against companies in Judea and Samaria just because they are owned by Jews.

Apr 3, 2018
I think a mod should change the title first off and the OP should bring a better source then Mondoweiss whats next Electronic intifada?

There is no compelling anyone to pledge "loyalty". Thats clearly a sensational title to invoke antisemetic canards (Jews aren't loyal to the countries they live in...). Like the case in texas when you leave the company you can do what you want in your personal life and BDS whoever you want. As a business though you cannot discriminate. Its funny because everyone is getting this twisted with there analogies.

This is more like saying you can't boycott gays or blacks not forcing people to kiss the Kabba and perform Tawaf. Being against BDS is not pledging loyalty to Israel.

And guess what USA is a democracy, you don't like it speak to your representatives. The people in Maryland correctly see that BDS is about destroying Israel and is antisemetic and they want nothing to do with it. Thats their democratic choice. If you want to support BDS then bring that up to your elected official. Just maybe you are in the minority who support it and most sane people are against boycotting Jews.

But spin and anti discrimination law somehow into a discriminatory one. The law doesn't force any discrimination, its the opposite where it says that you cannot discriminate against companies in Judea and Samaria just because they are owned by Jews.
By Judea and Samaria, you mean the west bank right?

And by "discrimination against companies owned by Jews", you mean "companies that support the illegal settlements of the west bank" right?

Dec 3, 2018
This is specifically about boycotting the state of Israel. There's plenty of reasons to take issue with Israel - like, for example, believing they have too much control over American politics. I know, absurd idea, right?

More than that, compelled speech is a solved constitutional problem. You can't do it. It is unconstitutional as fuck. It doesn't matter if you think BDS sucks, the state can not compel you to say or agree to things you don't want (or take away your right to abstain or remain silent), and they certainly can not use incentives, like the promise of employment, to compel this speech. Like, this has been done before, gone to the Supreme Court, there's precedence.

You are actually allowed to boycott whatever you want. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a gay wedding 7-2.

And guess what USA is a democracy, you don't like it speak to your representatives.
The US is a republic where our representatives vote against the wishes of the people something absurd, like 95% of the time. This particular law was an executive order by the state governor, and did not involve the people or their representatives at all.

Just maybe you are in the minority who support it and most sane people are against boycotting Jews.
For me, this is an issue of compelled speech. I have no interest in boycotting the state of Israel, but the constitution made that my choice to make and I'm not going to give up that right just because the outcome doesn't affect me.

Unfortunately, foreign governments aren't a protected class for discrimination. You could argue that Israel is inseparable from its religion, which is protected, but if this were the case, the law would be worded very differently and cover a very different range of people.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
By Judea and Samaria, you mean the west bank right?

And by "discrimination against companies owned by Jews", you mean "companies that support the illegal settlements of the west bank" right?
nope I mean Judea and Samaria the actual historical name of the area.

And by Jewish owned companies I mean Jewish owned companies. If an Arab had a company in a settlement would BDS call for its boycott?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
This is specifically about boycotting the state of Israel. There's plenty of reasons to take issue with Israel - like, for example, believing they have too much control over American politics. I know, absurd idea, right?

More than that, compelled speech is a solved constitutional problem. You can't do it. It is unconstitutional as fuck. It doesn't matter if you think BDS sucks, the state can not compel you to say or agree to things you don't want (or take away your right to abstain or remain silent), and they certainly can not use incentives, like the promise of employment, to compel this speech. Like, this has been done before, gone to the Supreme Court, there's precedence.

You are actually allowed to boycott whatever you want. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a gay wedding 7-2.

The US is a republic where our representatives vote against the wishes of the people something absurd, like 95% of the time. This particular law was an executive order by the state governor, and did not involve the people or their representatives at all.

For me, this is an issue of compelled speech. I have no interest in boycotting the state of Israel, but the constitution made that my choice to make and I'm not going to give up that right just because the outcome doesn't affect me.

Unfortunately, foreign governments aren't a protected class for discrimination. You could argue that Israel is inseparable from its religion, which is protected, but if this were the case, the law would be worded very differently and cover a very different range of people.
Well then bring it up to the representatives in Maryland and make your case. Or have it challenged in the courts and lets see if your version of compelled speech matches up.

Maryland(and Texas) don't approve of BDS or discriminating against Jewish business's. They made a choice, the courts or the other legislators can decide to disagree if they want.

Apr 3, 2018
nope I mean Judea and Samaria the actual historical name of the area.

And by Jewish owned companies I mean Jewish owned companies. If an Arab had a company in a settlement would BDS call for its boycott?
Yes but the rest of the world knows it as the West Bank.

Are you saying BDS is boycotting these companies because they're Jewish and not because they are building illegal settlements on occupied territory?

Razvedka

Neo Member
Oct 20, 2018
I would imagine that the outrage for this sort of thing would be greater if the nation in question weren't Israel. For instance, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, hell even Greenland. Although realistically if it were those countries in question we'd never have gotten such laws enacted in the first place (excluding perhaps Saudi Arabia).

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Yes but the rest of the world knows it as the West Bank.

Are you saying BDS is boycotting these companies because they're Jewish and not because they are building illegal settlements on occupied territory?
The west bank isn't anything its just a geographic term adopted after 1967. Its ironic to me that we have the "west bank" which includes "eastern Jerusalem". How can the eastern part be in the western part, it should be called the East bank. Or how about its name between 1949-1967 when it wasn't refereed to as the West Bank it was just called Trans Jordan.

Not sure why you oppose to using historical names for the area? Judea and Samaria is the area's actual historical name.

SodaStream didn't build any illegal settlements they had a factory that employed tons of Palestinians making better wages and benefits then they would in "Palestine", but BDS doesn't care if they hurt local Palestinians and cost them jobs. Most likely those Palestinians shouldn't be getting jobs with Jews anyways and instead be poor for good propaganda points.

If you want to support BDS thats up to you. I am sure you are as educated on it as you are on Jewish slavery and you probably get your info from David Duke and the NOI just like you did on the other subject. You can support a movement that is infested with antisemites and is supported by probably pretty much every antisemetic person thats on you.

Apr 3, 2018
The west bank isn't anything its just a geographic term adopted after 1967. Its ironic to me that we have the "west bank" which includes "eastern Jerusalem". How can the eastern part be in the western part, it should be called the East bank. Or how about its name between 1949-1967 when it wasn't refereed to as the West Bank it was just called Trans Jordan.

Not sure why you oppose to using historical names for the area? Judea and Samaria is the area's actual historical name.

SodaStream didn't build any illegal settlements they had a factory that employed tons of Palestinians making better wages and benefits then they would in "Palestine", but BDS doesn't care if they hurt local Palestinians and cost them jobs. Most likely those Palestinians shouldn't be getting jobs with Jews anyways and instead be poor for good propaganda points.

If you want to support BDS thats up to you. I am sure you are as educated on it as you are on Jewish slavery and you probably get your info from David Duke and the NOI just like you did on the other subject. You can support a movement that is infested with antisemites and is supported by probably pretty much every antisemetic person thats on you.
Lol yes ok if you oppose illegal settlements that makes you anti-semite..... Learn something new everyday.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Lol yes ok if you oppose illegal settlements that makes you anti-semite..... Learn something new everyday.
Not what I said but of course you twist it that way.

Basically behind BDS you don't have to go far to find an antisemite.

I made a thread about the Doctor who said she will give wrong meds to Jews and wished Allah would kill them all which is cut and dry antisemetism, and she supported BDS.

there was the German Paston who supported BDS and spoke at a Nazi event.

Then you had Findi Fares who declared the Jews are the enemy of all people standing side by side in protest with Simon Vrowue a prominent leader in the BDS movement.

David Duke also supports BDS as well.

BDS also just doesn't oppose what you call illegal settlements, it wants the destruction of the one and only Jewish state.

Definitely, most definitely we oppose a Jewish state in any part of Palestine. No Palestinian, rational Palestinian, not a sell-out Palestinian, will ever accept a Jewish state in Palestine.

Omar Barghouti
Straight from the founder of BDS's mouth.

“Ending the occupation doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t mean upending the Jewish state itself…BDS does mean the end of the Jewish state. But can’t I see the value in reaching across the aisle, so to speak? The movement may be burgeoning but remains too small. Why shouldn’t we indulge in ad hoc partnerships to get things done? Richard Silverstein, Richard Goldstone, and many other self-proclaimed Zionists have done an immeasurably positive amount of work in skinning the Zionist cat (That’s a deliberate analogy. I don’t kid myself about how difficult it must be for a Jewish person to criticize the Zionist state), shouldn’t they be asked to join the BDS movement?

To be sure, I’m not dogmatically against cooperating with people whose views I find objectionable. If it came down to it, I’d be happy to work with the racist up the street to get the city to fix a neighborhood pothole.”

-Ahmed Moor,
Pro-BDS Author
“The real aim of BDS is to bring down the state of Israel….That should be stated as an unambiguous goal. There should not be any equivocation on the subject. Justice and freedom for the Palestinians are incompatible with the existence of the state of Israel.”

As’ad AbuKhalil
“I think the BDS movement will gain strength from forthrightly explaining why Israel has no right to exist.”

John Spritzler, Pro-BDS Author
Here is what day to day palestinians say about the Right of Return

Keep living in your little bubble Luigi.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Not what I said but of course you twist it that way.

Basically behind BDS you don't have to go far to find an antisemite.

I made a thread about the Doctor who said she will give wrong meds to Jews and wished Allah would kill them all which is cut and dry antisemetism, and she supported BDS.

there was the German Paston who supported BDS and spoke at a Nazi event.

Then you had Findi Fares who declared the Jews are the enemy of all people standing side by side in protest with Simon Vrowue a prominent leader in the BDS movement.

David Duke also supports BDS as well.

BDS also just doesn't oppose what you call illegal settlements, it wants the destruction of the one and only Jewish state.

Straight from the founder of BDS's mouth.

Here is what day to day palestinians say about the Right of Return

Keep living in your little bubble Luigi.
Lol you cherry pick whatever you want.

Like the quote of the founder of BDS. You make it sound like he wants to ethnically cleanse the Jewish State. What he actually wants is a one state solution where Isreali Jews and Palestinian Christian/Muslims are treated equally:

Barghouti opposes the two-state solution.[14][15] He supports a one state solution encompassing all of what is now Israel and the Palestinian territories, in which these will be replaced by a "secular, democratic state... offering unequivocal equality in citizenship and individual and communal rights both to Palestinians (refugees included) and to Israeli Jews".

So when he says he opposes a Jewish State, what he means is he wants a secular state. Now, I think a one state solution would not work, there is no international support for it, and the only real solution is the two state solution, but that is made increasingly impossible with Isreal's continued illegal settlements and annexation of all resources in the West Bank/Judea whatever you want to call it.

"David Duke supports BDS".

Yep, he also supports Trump too. I guess that means Trump is anti-semitic?

I have no idea what the purpose of that video was? Selectively edited videos by pro-zionist Israelis aren't exactly objective are they?

As for the BDS themselves, here are the goals as stated on their website:

"Inspired by the South African anti-apartheid movement, the BDS call urges action to pressure Israel to comply with international law by:

1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall
International law recognises the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, Gaza and the Syrian Golan Heights as occupied by Israel.

2. Granting Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel their right to full equality

3. Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194"

To the question of the one state or two state solution, they seem to have changed their tune a little, due to the backlash I assume they got for wanting a secular one state solution:

"The BDS movement does not advocate for a particular solution to the conflict and does not call for either a “one state solution” or a “two state solution”. Instead, BDS focuses on the realization of basic rights and the implementation of international law."

On the question about them being anti-semitic:

"The BDS movement stands for freedom, justice and equality.
Anchored in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the BDS movement, led by the Palestinian BDS National Committee, is inclusive and categorically opposes as a matter of principle all forms of racism, including Islamophobia and anti-semitism.
BDS campaigns target the Israeli state because of its responsibility for serious violations of international law and the companies and institutions that participate in and are complicit in these Israeli violations. The BDS movement does not boycott or campaign against any individual or group simply because they are Israeli.
The world is growing increasingly weary of Israel's attempts to conflate criticism of its violations of international law with anti-Semitism and to conflate Zionism with Judaism. Israel is a state, not a person. Everyone has the right to criticize the unjust actions of a state.
Many Jewish students, academics, intellectuals, LGBTQ advocates and others as well as and a growing number of Jewish-Israelis support and advocate for BDS.

As the US organisation Jewish Voice for Peace has explained, Israel claims to be acting in the name of all Jewish people but a rapidly increasing number of Jewish people of conscience feel compelled to make sure the world knows that many Jews are opposed to Israel's actions."

Now I am under no illusion to think that there aren't any anti-semites in the BDS movement, you named some perfectly good examples in your post, but this movement has thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people within it. To tar the entire group as anti-semitic would be silly. It would be like tarring the entire Republican party as anti-semitic/racist since it also has it's fair share of troublesome candidates or to tar all of Isreal as racist/anti-arab because of the actions and words of extremists.

I get your quite deeply invested in Israel but even you should be able to see how troubling it is to pledge allegiance to a foreign country:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/ "A Texas Elementary School Speech Pathologist Refused to Sign a Pro-Israel Oath, Now Mandatory in Many States — so She Lost Her Job"

Apr 3, 2018
Declaring not to boycott a country because it is jewish is not a pledge of loyalty to that nation. It's a good filter to keep out radicals.

And the BDS movement only exists because Israel is jewish, don't pretend otherwise.

"Inspired by the South African anti-apartheid movement, the BDS call urges action to pressure Israel to comply with international law by:

1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall
International law recognises the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, Gaza and the Syrian Golan Heights as occupied by Israel.

3. Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194"

To the question of the one state or two state solution, they seem to have changed their tune a little, due to the backlash I assume they got for wanting a secular one state solution:

"The BDS movement does not advocate for a particular solution to the conflict and does not call for either a “one state solution” or a “two state solution”. Instead, BDS focuses on the realization of basic rights and the implementation of international law."

Anchored in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the BDS movement, led by the Palestinian BDS National Committee, is inclusive and categorically opposes as a matter of principle all forms of racism, including Islamophobia and anti-semitism.
BDS campaigns target the Israeli state because of its responsibility for serious violations of international law and the companies and institutions that participate in and are complicit in these Israeli violations. The BDS movement does not boycott or campaign against any individual or group simply because they are Israeli.
The world is growing increasingly weary of Israel's attempts to conflate criticism of its violations of international law with anti-Semitism and to conflate Zionism with Judaism. Israel is a state, not a person. Everyone has the right to criticize the unjust actions of a state.
Many Jewish students, academics, intellectuals, LGBTQ advocates and others as well as and a growing number of Jewish-Israelis support and advocate for BDS.

As the US organisation Jewish Voice for Peace has explained, Israel claims to be acting in the name of all Jewish people but a rapidly increasing number of Jewish people of conscience feel compelled to make sure the world knows that many Jews are opposed to Israel's actions."

Now I am under no illusion to think that there aren't any anti-semites in the BDS movement, you named some perfectly good examples in your post, but this movement has thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people within it. To tar the entire group as anti-semitic would be silly. It would be like tarring the entire Republican party as anti-semitic/racist since it also has it's fair share of troublesome candidates or to tar all of Isreal as racist/anti-arab because of the actions and words of extremists.

I get your quite deeply invested in Israel but even you should be able to see how troubling it is to pledge allegiance to a foreign country:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/ "A Texas Elementary School Speech Pathologist Refused to Sign a Pro-Israel Oath, Now Mandatory in Many States — so She Lost Her Job"

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Lol you cherry pick whatever you want.

Like the quote of the founder of BDS. You make it sound like he wants to ethnically cleanse the Jewish State. What he actually wants is a one state solution where Isreali Jews and Palestinian Christian/Muslims are treated equally:

Barghouti opposes the two-state solution.[14][15] He supports a one state solution encompassing all of what is now Israel and the Palestinian territories, in which these will be replaced by a "secular, democratic state... offering unequivocal equality in citizenship and individual and communal rights both to Palestinians (refugees included) and to Israeli Jews".

So when he says he opposes a Jewish State, what he means is he wants a secular state. Now, I think a one state solution would not work, there is no international support for it, and the only real solution is the two state solution, but that is made increasingly impossible with Isreal's continued illegal settlements and annexation of all resources in the West Bank/Judea whatever you want to call it.
There already exsist a state where everyone is equal and its called Israel. If the Palestinian authority isn't secular, democratic, with equality etc well thats on the PA.

We know the reality of what a "one-state" solution will look like, and as I posted the video and what many Palestinians say, when there is one state the Jews will have to leave. We see how Palestinians handle elections, the one time they held them the answer was to ignore the results and start a civil war. The notion that one state with a majority Palestinian population would lead to a democratic secular state that will be progressive and FREE and OPEN for Jews is a fantasy. I just have to look at the PA and Hamas.

But yes a one state solution is calling for the destruction of the one Jewish state in the area. Barghotti holds Israeli citizenship himself actually so he gets to live and take advantage of that secular democracy that actually already exsists in Israel.

I gave you multiple quotes from various BDS'rs saying that the goal is the end of the Jewish state. Even if they try to dress it up in phony terms to make it seem better its still the same goal, no more Jewish state. Which is essentially denying the Jewish people the right to self determination which is covered in the IHRA definition of Antisemetisim

"David Duke supports BDS".

Yep, he also supports Trump too. I guess that means Trump is anti-semitic?
Of course you would go to deflection, but Duke DOES NOT SUPPORT TRUMPS SUPPORT OF ISRAEL. So no that doesn't make him antisemetic, since all the Nazi's hate the part about Trump that loves Israel.

I have no idea what the purpose of that video was? Selectively edited videos by pro-zionist Israelis aren't exactly objective are they?
Of course sine the video doesn't make Palestinians look like angels you say it isn't objective. How about you visit his channel and you will find many man on the street interviews of Palestinians and Jews. You will see he is even handed and there are many videos of Israeli's saying racist things or bad things about Arabs as well. He has videos of PAlestinians saying good things too. He has a very interesting video chilling with 3 Palestinians at a nice coffee shop where they discuss the dificulties they face in check points and traveling etc... one man is even a young reporter and talks about his excperiences when he travels.

Why I posted it is because I will take the words of actual Palestinians over someone in the UK. You can talk as much as if you know what Palestinians think based off the anti-Israel propagand you read where they dress it up for westerners, but this is real Palestinians. And no I didn't just watch this video I have watched many of his videos and seen a wide range of opinions from Palestinians.

So Luigi I sincerly ask you watch his channel. You might even find a video where Israel are saying racist shit, I know there is one video where a Jewish girl outright says Israeli's are really racist. Its right up your alley. But if you want to know what REAL PALESTINIANS and REAL ISRAELI's are saying his man on the street interviews are great.

I don't think this is that bad but don't agree with the language. Israel isnt colonizing anything and the border wall like 77 other countries will stay up. I can argue about the rest but whatever its a misguided ideal in my mind but not anything wrong so far.

They already have full rights and equality in Israel. They are full citizens. An Arab Judge sent a former Israeli President to Jail. And how does this work when the Palestinians themselves are telling Israeli Arabs to boycott elections? They want equality but then when they have it they chose not to use it.

And this is the one here that basically says the goal of BDS is the end of the Jewish state. In both practice and theory this will lead to no more Israel, thus the goal of BDS. I would have no problem with the return of refugees, if we used the actual definition of refugees, since that would be less than 100K or so returning. There is no such thing as 3rd, 4th, 5th generation refugees.

But everyone knows that this is a dog whistle for the destruction of the Jewish state. As I posted in the video in general Palestinians just want the Jews to go away. And we can see how Jews are treated in the Arab world, and in the territories that the Palestinians control that it would not end well for the Jews. And finally we see what type of democracy, government, and society of the surrounding countries and in the end Israel will just turn into another failed Arab thugocracy.

As the US organisation Jewish Voice for Peace has explained, Israel claims to be acting in the name of all Jewish people but a rapidly increasing number of Jewish people of conscience feel compelled to make sure the world knows that many Jews are opposed to Israel's actions.".
Bunch of leftist goobly gook. How about you find me some quotes from BDS people who call out the antisemites in their midsts and then I might have some more faith that they aren't antisemetic.

Please Luigi find me some stuff on BDS specifically calling out antisemetic people within their ranks and condeming it. I would love to read it. And not some abstract we oppose all forms of racisim, I mean specific call outs. Has BDS made any statement about David Duke? Here is one from your favourit go to.

Trump: “Well, you’ve got David Duke just joined — a bigot, a racist, a problem. I mean, this is not exactly the people you want in your party.”
Can you find me a statement from Barghotti close to what Trump said?

I hope Luigi you can find me these quotes denouncing antisemites, maybe I am just not good with google but I couldn't find any. It would at least restore some faith that the movement isn't full of people burying their head in the sand.

Well then I guess you will just have to live with having a movement that is full of antisemites, and that has a goal of destroying the Jewish state. As long as you are OK with antisemites hijacking and using your movement to push forward the eventual goal of Israel being destroyed either by demographics or by making it so weak that Arab armies can attack it. If you want to say its a small minority I will have to disagree. I agree that not everyone involved is an antisemite, but there is a very good chance if you get involved in the movement you are being feed information coming from an antisemite. I still remember Luigi that you grabbed you info about Jewish slavery from NOI and David Duke, thats the type of info that is probably being sold with BDS.

There is no pledge of allegiance so why do you bring this up. All the law requires is that a business will not discriminate against Jewish owned business thats it. This lady can BDS Israel in her free time or do whatever she wants. See this is the dishonesty on display that you probably get from BDS.

No one is forcing anyone to pledge anything to Israel. Its like saying US laws against discriminating against gays is like forcing you to become gay and start having sex with men.

American's don't like BDS and don't want that shit pushed forward so they made a law. If more American's start supporting BDS then the laws can change, thats democracy, something maybe the Palestinians will embrace one day.

You support BDS, if you were American you could effect change. Since you live in the UK then if the issue ever comes up there you can protest for it. I don't support BDS so I don't have issue with the laws.

But don't twist the law as requiring any type of allegiance.

Bottom line is BDS is full of antisemites, its goal is to destroy the Jewish state even if they try to use lofty language to fool westerners Jews can hear through the dog whistles, and in the end BDS ends up hurting Palestinians more than Israel. Israel has been thriving since BDS came on board and its economy has grown by leaps and bounds. BDS ends up hurting Palestinians more than it does Israel but that doesn't bother most since Palestinans are better off as propagand pawns so the worse their live is the better for some (thats why there is a ton of support to keep Palestinians in camps across the Arab world for 70+ years).

A push to “boycott, divest and sanction” (BDS) Israeli companies has limited impact on the credit profile of Israel, yet it directly harms its intended beneficiaries, the Palestinians. The BDS movement, including universities, pension funds and leaders of some Christian denominations (to the chagrin of many congregants), ignores economic data. And it coincides with a disturbing rise of violent anti-Semitism across Europe.

“The impact of BDS is more psychological than real so far and has had no discernible impact on Israeli trade or the broader economy,” Kristin Lindow, senior vice president at Moody's Investors Service and Moody’s lead analyst for Israel (in full disclosure, a former Moody’s colleague) told Forbes. “That said, the sanctions do run the risk of hurting the Palestinian economy, which is much smaller and poorer than that of Israel, as seen in the case of SodaStream.”

While the broader Israeli economy is presently shielded from BDS, one victim is SodaStream, an Israeli company manufacturing DIY soda that shuttered a West Bank factory and moved it to southern Israel. This cut hundreds of jobs for Palestinians that reportedly paid between three and five times the local prevailing wage.

SodaStream’s CEO Daniel Birnbaum denied the move was BDS-related, though its profits plunged after BDS activists locked the fizzy pop maker in its crosshairs.

"It has nothing to do with politics; we're relocating to a modern facility that is three times the size," Birnbaum told The Independent. "But if it was up to me, I would have stayed. We showed the world Arabs and Jews can work together."

The numbers speak for themselves: Israel (population 8.3 million) has GDP of $291 billion, the Palestinian Territories (population 4.1 million), $11.3 billion. In 2012, Israeli sales to the Palestinian Authority were $4.3 billion, about 5% of Israeli exports (excluding diamonds) less than 2% of Israeli GDP, according to the Bank of Israel. In 2012, Palestinian sales to Israel accounted for about 81% of Palestinian exports and less than a percentage point of Israeli GDP. Palestinian purchases from Israel were two-thirds of total Palestinian imports (or 27% of Palestinian GDP).

Such trade flow asymmetry shows Palestine needs Israel, economically speaking. Yet the BDS crowd would impair economic ties between these areas, despite evidence that trade between peoples lessens outbreak of war. BDS-ers want to obliterate the vast trade surplus Israel extends to Palestine and offer nothing in its place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carrie...-stunts-the-palestinian-economy/#8794eb516484

Boycotting Israeli goods, therefore, does minimal damage to Israel's gross domestic product but momentous harm to the Palestinian economy. In addition, "The BDS movement inflames rather than enlightens global dialogue around the peace process. Israel invests heavily in Palestine; the rest of the world doesn't bother," Sheffield writes.

For example, SodaStream suffered major losses after it was forced to relocate from the West Bank town Mishor Adumim following intense targeting by BDS activists. More than 500 workers were laid-off when the plant closed its doors. That number included 74 Palestinians who lost their jobs because they could not obtain permits to work at the new location inside Israel.

Palestinian workers react to losing their jobs when a BDS campaign forced their employer to relocate.
"All the people who wanted to close [SodaStream's West Bank Factory] are mistaken....They didn't take into consideration the families," said Ali Jafar, a Palestinian shift manager for SodaStream.

The Palestinian BDS National Committee seemed intent on proving Jafar right, announcing its pride in forcing SodaStream to shut down the factory.

BDS activists also spent seven years targeting the Dead Sea cosmetics company, Ahava, which in 2016 decided to relocate its plant from Mitzpeh Shalem, a West Bank settlement, to inside Israel's formal border.

To truly shed light on the BDS movement's impact, it is crucial to call attention to the Palestinian Authority's praise of Israel's treatment of Palestinian workers in 2014. Given a choice between Israeli and Palestinian bosses, many Palestinians are quick to take jobs with Israelis, the PA's official daily, Al-Hayat Al-Jadida reported and Palestinian Media Watch spotlighted. "The only cases in which a Palestinian worker does not receive the salary his Israeli [employer] determined for him are those cases in which the middleman is Palestinian."

"There are no job opportunities in the West Bank," Nahida Fares, a Palestinian woman employed by SodaStream, told The Times of Israel. "Even the jobs that do exist pay no more than NIS 1,500-2,000 ($430-570) a month."
BDS doesn't hurt Israel, but hurts Palestinians. But I guess sacraficing Palestinians lives and livelyhoods and destroying Israel and Arab cooperation is worthwhile so some antisemites can continue to push for the desturction of the Jewish state.

And how about that evil SodaStream they must hate Arabs now since their factory was closed down right?

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/S...-in-Gaza-says-CEO-at-Globes-Conference-574925

Things could bubble up in Gaza soon, as Soda-Stream CEO Daniel Birnbaum announced plans on Thursday to open a manufacturing facility in Gaza.

“We want the people in Gaza to have jobs, real jobs, because where there is prosperity there can be peace,” Birnbaum said, on day two of the Globes Business Conference in Jerusalem.

The CEO explained how Sodastream’s “values” led the company to make this decision.

“Our diversity is very important,” he said of the company, which was acquired by PepsiCo for $3.2 billion in August 2018. “We love to show what peace looks like.”

In the Sodastream factory in the industrial park of Idan HaNegev, a mosaic of Israeli Jews and Arabs, Palestinians, Bedouins, Ethiopians and Russians work together to produce the foot-and-a-half tall device of the same name, which carbonates water by adding carbon dioxide from a pressurized cylinder to create soda.

According to Birnbaum, there are 1,000 Jews and 1,000 Arabs working in the factory. Some 100 of the Arabs are Palestinians.
Even BDS targets SodaStream, forces them to close a factory, they still want to push forward peace and cooperation and give jobs to Palestinians in Gaza so they can have prosperity and there can be peace.

Compare this to Abbas who has stopped paying salaries to Gaza, even at one point the cleaning staff at the hospitals stopped working because they weren't paid and the hospitals were full of literal shit and garbage.

So one hand you have a company that was a victim of BDS and had to fire 500 Palestinians, still wants to give Jobs to Palestinians despite that so they can have jobs and money and live normal lives. And on the other hand you have money being taken away and forcing Palestinians in poverty. I wonder which one BDS supports hmmmm.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Declaring not to boycott a country because it is jewish is not a pledge of loyalty to that nation. It's a good filter to keep out radicals.

And the BDS movement only exists because Israel is jewish, don't pretend otherwise.
I am awaiting the Turkish BDS, the Kuwaiti BDS, the Lebanese BDS, the Moroccon BDS, and the Saudi BDS.

Jul 7, 2018
So, the supposed enemies of the American people, Iran, Korea, China and Russia have tried to interfere with and eliminate the constitutional rights of the American people but Israel did?

Food for thought...