• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

businesses that ban guns could be held liable for leaving patrons defenseless- G/A/F

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy a source of news.

Say a movie theater in
Florida
banned its patrons from carrying concealed handguns, but a mass shooter came in anyway and attacked — not unlike what happened in Aurora, Colorado, almost five years ago.

Under an NRA-backed measure proposed this week in the
Florida
Legislature, victims who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon could sue the theater for damages, because its weapons ban left them disarmed when they might have been able to use their gun to thwart or stop the attack.

The new proposal (SB 610) from Senate Judiciary Chairman Greg Steube — a conservative
Sarasota
Republican who has proposed a slew of controversial gun rights measures this year — says the “Legislature intends to find a balance” between gun owners’ rights and private property rights.

And Steube’s plan to do that means businesses would be held responsible — and put at risk of being sued — for decisions to ban guns.

It...sure is something.

theytookourjobz

Ok so business owners just need to say that guns are against their religion and then they can't be sued right? No way can guns have more rights than gays and Muslim, right? Right?

tbm24

So what's the argument? That regardless of a gun ban it's an inevitability that someone will bring one in and go on a spree?

Trickster

That's so insane. A balance between the right of gun owners and the private property owners?

How about if I own a piece of property, I get to damn well choose if I want people carrying lethal weapons on it or not?

Dali

I don't see how this would fly. You don't have to sit down at a restaurant without your gun. You just can't do it at this restaurant. You need your safe space? I hear cracker barrel across the street don't care.

Also fuck you, op, for spoiler tagging a damn hyperlink.

Dryk

The balance they intend to find is that private property owners have no rights. "Small government".

Clockwork

Also fuck you, op, for spoiler tagging a damn hyperlink.

I use the mobile site on my phone and that was really obnoxious.

Anyway, I don't really like being told what other people can and cannot do on my own property. This oversteps quite a few boundaries.

Dali

It's from the Miami Herald. Ruins it kind of up front.
You obviously don't know how this works. You put g/a/f in the thread title. People click on the thread and see the answer. That's it. Regardless you don't hide a hyperlink behind spoiler tags so people click it thinking it's just text but get taken to a random website instead.

akira28

can't have guns in the club. that's how people usually get shot. by other patrons.

If I had to guess, someone is going to make their political name with this legislation.

Regardless you don't hide a hyperlink behind spoiler tags so people click it thinking it's just text but get taken to a random website instead.

huh. for me, links behind spoiler tags are plainly visible. it just shows up as blue text with a black background. I'd always wondered why people bothered doing it.

like:
vFRzkdQ.png

Interesting to know.

As a licensed gun owner who is all for stricter regulations all around, i see this as the NRA idiots just want to revert back to the wild west.

Somnid

If I were a business I'd call that bluff. Anyway if their beloved Trump passes "strongly held belief" regulations pacifists can just refuse them service.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've been in USA for 5 days total in my life. I saw more guns in those 5 days than I have in my life. And I've never felt as unsafe as I did in the US. Remind me to stay out of the US.

dan2026

I'd believe fucking anything out of America at this point.

If you told me every child was required by law to go to school with an Uzi I would believe you.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Can a business then just ban a permit owner from entry then? Have a sign up front that due to this bill we do not allow gun permit owners on the premises. Maybe force the legislature to hand over the database of permit owners and refuse entry.

dluu13

Ok so business owners just need to say that guns are against their religion and then they can't be sued right? No way can guns have more rights than gays and Muslim, right? Right?

No the new draft of the religious freedom bill only protects those who oppose LGBT rights and women's choice in the name of their religion.

I've been in USA for 5 days total in my life. I saw more guns in those 5 days than I have in my life. And I've never felt as unsafe as I did in the US. Remind me to stay out of the US.

I'm not setting foot in the US while guns are around. Much less now that Trump is president, but still. I'm not going anywhere where citizens can carry weapons willy nilly.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Did you go to gun shops or conventions?
I've lived here 30+ years (in Texas even) and rarely ever see guns in public.

Saw 0 all of 2016. I get weirded out when I do see someone carrying one.

Snagret

How many mass shootings in America have been prevented (or interrupted) by vigilante intervention? This idea that we'd all be safer if we could only just shoot criminals ourselves is absolutely insane to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom