• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a new TV. Let's talk about it.

I'm looking for a new TV and I've read a lot of reviews and I still can't decide what to get. If money wasn't a factor I'd buy an OLED no doubt, but with the possibility of burn-in and my home having Fortnite on 8 hours a day, I can't take the chance.

So for those that have an OLED, is it really worth the hundreds of extra dollars over a good LCD set? And if you've recently bought a TV, what did you get and do you like it? What are the pros and cons etc?

So far I've seen a few aside from the LG C9/CX OLEDS that seem decent, but nothing that makes me immediately want to pull the trigger.

There's the cheapos like the TCL 65R25 and the Hisense H9F, but I currently have a Samsung KS8000 so I'm not sure those would feel like an upgrade.

Then there's a few other sets like the Vizio PX65-G1 or the Sony X950G that both seem fairly good but have their flaws as well.

So any recommendations? Should I wait for Vizio's OLED and the prices to come down? HALP.

funcojoe

What will you have to spend?
Are you targeting next gen day one? If so you might as well future proof yourself with a hdmi 2.1 set.

Personally im in the same boat, ive been eyeing the cx, but also afraid of burn in.

Tcl 6 series is what I used through this gen and I loved the experience for the cost.

Rbk_3

I wouldn’t even consider buying a TV without HDMI 2.1 at this point, or you’ll end up regretting it. I have a C9 and I am not concerned about burn in.

Grinchy

Banned
My brother went out and got a Sony TV back in 2015. Within a week of owning it for a year, half of the LEDs burnt out. Sony was gleeful about the fact that his receipt showed one week past the 12 month mark and told him to kick rocks.

No repair service would touch the thing because the second he described what was happening with it, they knew exactly what the problem was and knew it wasn't fixable. He was out $1700. I know it's anecdotal, but because of that, I just will not buy a Sony TV.

Sony oled if picture matters most. Forward features a LG ‘c’ model and up

although I haven’t seen them in the flesh, I believe tcl and Toshiba have more budget model Oleds

my two cents (but not sure I can go back from oled, at this point 😁)

The TCL 65R25 and the Hisense H9F (and the Vizio M series for that matter) would definitely be an upgrade over the KS8000 in most regards.

The TCL 65R25 and the Hisense H9F (and the Vizio M series for that matter) would definitely be an upgrade over the KS8000 in most regards.
That's good to hear. One of my main concerns moving to a new TV is the bright poppy color I feel like I get from the KS8000. I have the 55" version right now but want a 65" TV. So maybe I could try to get one of those cheaper TVs and just see how I feel about it before I jump into something more expensive.

All I have is a crappy 720 32inch Samsung tv, but coworkers I've spoken to who've gotten new TVs have nothing but positive things to say about TCL tvs.
Why would you do this to yourself? Get a new TV man!

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
All I have is a crappy 720 32inch Samsung tv, but coworkers I've spoken to who've gotten new TVs have nothing but positive things to say about TCL tvs.

I'm also using a 720p Samsung, but in my bedroom. It honestly looks good enough to me still for Netflix, etc. Maybe I'm some sort of ragamuffin, but once I'm invested into something, the last thing I'm stressing about is picture quality. There's plenty of clarity in 720p.

That's good to hear. One of my main concerns moving to a new TV is the bright poppy color I feel like I get from the KS8000. I have the 55" version right now but want a 65" TV. So maybe I could try to get one of those cheaper TVs and just see how I feel about it before I jump into something more expensive.

I have no experience with the Hisense but for the money the Vizio M series and the TCL 625 punch WAY above their price point. For the money you will pay for them I don't think you'd be disappointed. Go to rtings.com and they have in depth reviews and comparisons and videos.

Amory

I have a 2016 LG OLED (B6) and i still love it as much today as the day I got it. Watching HDR and Dolby Vision content is a joy. The one thing that sucks is the LG smart tv OS. It's missing a lot of pretty basic apps, and the ones it does have don't function very well. I'd recommend a separate firestick or Roku or whatever.

My friend has a good quality Samsung LCD TV and to me the difference in PQ is noticeable. I'd spring for the OLED if you can spare the extra cash. It'll last a long time.

TylerD

I bought a 75 inch Sony X900F in 2018 for 2500 that has been great. I valued size over picture quality but my Sony is no slouch.

When it’s time to pull the trigger I recommend trying to find a good deal using https://www.greentoe.com/

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My 37in 4K HDR TV feels like a lot after coming from this

1fa33bdcafb9d5c87fdb65bfb050953c

Nankatsu

As a Sony owner, I would have to go with Sony.

I have a Sony 55X9005 LED, it's gonna turn 2 years now, and it's an absolutely amazing TV. I'm very happy with it.

Plus it's near identical to the Sony X950G that you're talking about, if you check by the comparison below.

In terms of price what's the difference between the two in your area?

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I'm looking for a new TV and I've read a lot of reviews and I still can't decide what to get. If money wasn't a factor I'd buy an OLED no doubt, but with the possibility of burn-in and my home having Fortnite on 8 hours a day, I can't take the chance.

So for those that have an OLED, is it really worth the hundreds of extra dollars over a good LCD set? And if you've recently bought a TV, what did you get and do you like it? What are the pros and cons etc?

So far I've seen a few aside from the LG C9/CX OLEDS that seem decent, but nothing that makes me immediately want to pull the trigger.

There's the cheapos like the TCL 65R25 and the Hisense H9F, but I currently have a Samsung KS8000 so I'm not sure those would feel like an upgrade.

Then there's a few other sets like the Vizio PX65-G1 or the Sony X950G that both seem fairly good but have their flaws as well.

So any recommendations? Should I wait for Vizio's OLED and the prices to come down? HALP.
You don't even know what burn in is and how it is caused.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
We love OLED, definitely worth the price difference for us.
If you like Scifi, anything set in space looks incredible.

Not everybody can afford it though, and if you don't care about PQ or perfect blacks all that much, it might not be worth the price difference to you.

If you're looking at OLED, I don't think the Sony's are worth the price difference over the LG.
From what I've read, the Vizio line has killed it recently, and in addition to the 6 Series from TCL, they have a MicroLED set that was on sale for $999 over the weekend.

Last edited:
As a Sony owner, I would have to go with Sony.

I have a Sony 55X9005 LED, it's gonna turn 2 years now, and it's an absolutely amazing TV. I'm very happy with it.

Plus it's near identical to the Sony X950G that you're talking about, if you check by the comparison below.

In terms of price what's the difference between the two in your area?
I was looking at what I think could be a good deal on a 65" x950g at a local Best Buy. It's open box satisfactory for $900.

Last edited:

Nester99

Ratings.com

Amazing reviews and Side be side comparisons.

Setzer

If you're primarily gaming I would personally stay away from OLED. If you're mixing it up, movies, tv shows and gaming then go OLED. Also I wouldn't go OLED if you're using it in a bright room as OLED's don't get very bright. But either way you go I would definitely go with Sony. I got an LG C9 this past weekend and will be taking it back because the upscaling is no where near as good my Sony X930E LED. So if I do go back to OLED it will be a Sony.

V2Tommy

Nothing to discuss. Get an LG OLED, a long warranty that covers everything, and enjoy it like CRT never went away.

Setzer

I was looking at what I think could be a good deal on a 65" x950g at a local Best Buy. It's open box satisfactory for $900.
That's an excellent price on a great LED and I would consider getting it with at least the 2yr Geek Squad warranty. Plus I heard something about the 950g possibly getting a 2.1 HDMI firmware update at some point.

Ok so I'm looking and looking and I think I can get a 65" Samsung Q70R for about $1,000.

The only things I'm seeing that I don't like are that it's not an LG C9 =), and also it has no Dolby Vision for some reason. I don't think that's enough to stop me from getting it though. Reflections I guess aren't the best either but other than that I think it may be the best bang for the buck.

Anyone have any experience with this set? Or know of any other reason to not get it? It's better than the cheaper TCL R625 and Hisense H9F right?

Last edited:

TylerD

Only if you arent using the OS, the android OS is awful.

I had a 900E and a C9. The first experience using the OLEd is holy shit.

I had a VIZO as well, I was a big fan of the Vizio. If i didnt get LG Oled, i would have gotten vizio

The OS performance was my biggest worry with the X900F. It is a little sluggish sure but I wouldn’t classify Android OS as awful at all.

Jayjayhd34

The OS performance was my biggest worry with the X900F. It is a little sluggish sure but I wouldn’t classify Android OS as awful at all.

I have xf9005 and before the current upgrade it was pretty poor. However since it was upgraded its very snappy no more crashing to point where i have to unplug etc.

I've also owned Samsung 4k before this one and that was lot faster, but with update there probably pretty even.

MastAndo

Gold Member
No suggestions, but I have a KS8000 as well and am curious to see some suggestions. Nothing has caught my eye as a significant upgrade though - as someone who uses my TV as my sole PC monitor, I'm not going to mess with an OLED.

No suggestions, but I have a KS8000 as well and am curious to see some suggestions. Nothing has caught my eye as a significant upgrade though - as someone who uses my TV as my sole PC monitor, I'm not going to mess with an OLED.
Yeah it's tough because the KS8000 is already good, but really I have nothing to compare my current TV to except my other past TVs. I'm scared I'd buy something and it wouldn't even feel like an upgrade. I wish I could see them side by side in person before actually making a purchase.

Bumping my own thread but I've decided to go cheap first and see if that is ok with me. I'll be getting the TCL R625 in a couple weeks for a pretty good price. I could buy 2 of them for the same price as a lot of these other TVs, and nearly 3 of them for the same price as the LG C9. I also see that the TCL R625 is supposed to get an update soon to add VRR to it.

So now I think I can get the TV, a soundbar, and a new TV stand all for probably $1300 or so. And I figure if the TV sucks, I'll just sell it later and wait for the rest of the 2020 line up to release. Vizio has an OLED coming, plus TCL will be releasing their 2020 sets I imagine in a few months.

Last edited:
I think the dual cell uled xd tech sounds extremely promising(coming later this year. edit: heard they are looking into this years budget oled prices to price lower, if that rumor is true that suggests under 1500$ price)

From reading the avsforum thread it seems a similar dual panel technology is used in reference $30K monitors. If the technology lives up to the hype it might rival microled eventually for cheap.

Right now it appears like it will give oled like results with greater longevity no burn in and higher brightness.

Bumping my own thread but I've decided to go cheap first and see if that is ok with me. I'll be getting the TCL R625 in a couple weeks for a pretty good price. I could buy 2 of them for the same price as a lot of these other TVs, and nearly 3 of them for the same price as the LG C9. I also see that the TCL R625 is supposed to get an update soon to add VRR to it.

So now I think I can get the TV, a soundbar, and a new TV stand all for probably $1300 or so. And I figure if the TV sucks, I'll just sell it later and wait for the rest of the 2020 line up to release. Vizio has an OLED coming, plus TCL will be releasing their 2020 sets I imagine in a few months.
Some say the hisense h9f was the best tv under 1000$. And we recently got h8g which is 700$ for 65 inch 50$ cheaper than tcl 625 65 inch. Though the hisense is said to have superb image quality some sources say its local dimming sucks and is best turned off.

The variable refresh rate sounds like it may make the tcl potentially the better deal.

Last edited:
does anyone know anything about the other OLEDs comming this year from hisense and vizeo? I heard samsung was gonna have one as well. Anything about Price or release date?

Iv also heard of some tvs that don't have hdmi 2.1 being able to do 120 fps and other tvs that do have hdmi 2.1 not being able to do 4k 120 in game mode? any word on this?

Tenaciousmo

Personally went with an OLED 2-3 years ago with the LG 55b7 when i was shopping to upgrade to a 4k display.

The other less expensive but quality models were upwards of 1000$ and wouldn't have the comparable viewing experience. I would not recommend people to go with something inferior especially if it is something they are going to be using for years to come to save a few hundred dollars. The upgrade is well worth it if you're gonna be using the display as your main watching / gaming ( consoles ) device.

Iv also heard of some tvs that don't have hdmi 2.1 being able to do 120 fps and other tvs that do have hdmi 2.1 not being able to do 4k 120 in game mode? any word on this?

Aren’t some manufacturers cutting the bandwidth (from nearly 50, to 40) that the port can manage And this has been reported as some TVs can only do 4K @ 120hz, on reduced colour levels ? (Might be 10 bit colour down to 8bit, could easily be 12 down to 10. Cant remember though). Think that the ‘Cx’ range from LG has this, there maybe others though. Think Sony have very few TVs this year that are listed as 2.1, thinking maybe 1, possibly 2

Which should actually not be that noticeable in action, unless you take things really ‘seriously’ (Some TVs hide the panel colour change behind an ‘expanded’ option)

I think that the manufacturers are picking and choosing features to implement and when (only example i can think of is Sony who are bringing features to current and new TVs via firmware upgrades, but if one is doing it, then I am sure others are as well)

Might be wrong though (and I think that what hdmi you use also is impacted, with older cables not having the ability to carry the full 2.1 bandwidth needs)

Hope this helps

V2Tommy

Might be wrong though (and I think that what hdmi you use also is impacted, with older cables not having the ability to carry the full 2.1 bandwidth needs)

Hope this helps

The LG HDMI bandwith cuts still manage the most the panel could possibly do. Last year’s model allowed for 12-bit color input, which meant nothing with a 10-bit panel. Nothing has been lost.

Ulysses 31

Samsung Q900TS/Q950TS seems top of the line for non OLED tvs but those cost even more than OLED atm. :lollipop_confused::lollipop_confused::lollipop_confused:

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Samsung Q900TS/Q950TS seems top of the line for non OLED tvs but those cost even more than OLED atm. :lollipop_confused::lollipop_confused::lollipop_confused:

Easy solution: buy an OLED. The Samsungs in game mode really take a hit on picture quality, so even if it was competitive otherwise, it doesn’t compare when you’re gaming. And this is NeoGAF. You love games.

Ulysses 31

Easy solution: buy an OLED. The Samsungs in game mode really take a hit on picture quality, so even if it was competitive otherwise, it doesn’t compare when you’re gaming. And this is NeoGAF. You love games.
Dunno which Samsung TV you're talking about but game mode on my Q950R doesn't take a massive hit in picture quality, it looks very close to neutral picture mode. :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Dunno which Samsung TV you're talking about but game mode on my Q950R doesn't take a massive hit in picture quality, it looks very close to neutral picture mode. :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Every video review I’ve watched explains all the PQ features that get disabled in game mode. Doesn’t mean it looks bad, just that it’s worse.

Ulysses 31

Every video review I’ve watched explains all the PQ features that get disabled in game mode. Doesn’t mean it looks bad, just that it’s worse.
Which ones are those? I've only seen a few Q900TS reviews and none of them touched game mode, RTINGS seem to be taking their sweet time too.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Which ones are those? I've only seen a few Q900TS reviews and none of them touched game mode, RTINGS seem to be taking their sweet time too.

Why would the 8K model be any different than any of their 4K flagships in terms of game mode? If anything, the 4K models sell more to gamers and they’ve done the best they could over the years. I’d love to be wrong but nothing in their literature suggests they’re doing anything better in game mode than their other models.

Ulysses 31

Why would the 8K model be any different than any of their 4K flagships in terms of game mode? If anything, the 4K models sell more to gamers and they’ve done the best they could over the years. I’d love to be wrong but nothing in their literature suggests they’re doing anything better in game mode than their other models.
The AI upscaler of the 8K model that can display 4K content better than native 4K displays.

Last edited:
Top Bottom