• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

buying cars really sucks right now, huh?

Xyrmellon

I got a new suv in June after searching for a few weeks (no one had cars on the lot to sell and I didn't want to go on a waiting list). I traded in my 2014 Toyota Tacoma with 128,000 miles and a dented fender for $9000.00. I hear today I could have got even more.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I've had a Kia as my DD for the last two years. The new cars are rock solid and quality cars. Biggest issue is the shit maintenance schedule that requires service every 6k KM. I drive around 30k a year for work and so am taking it in every 2-3 months for routine service. For that reason alone, I'll never get another one. Its too bad, because I really like the company.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Crazy to see this thread because I just had an insane experience at my dealership. I was trying to buy out my car that I leased three years ago. Only problem? They wouldnt let me. They kept trying to make me sell my car to them. I am like dude I dont want a new car. They are too expensive nowadays anyway, can I just buy this car? Nope. You are making a mistake they kept saying.

After an hour of me saying no thanks to all their offers, I walked out without buying out my car or selling it. But what was eye opening was their offer. They went from offering me $1,000 over what I had already put into my lease to $6,000 trade in value. At one point, I got really frustrated and told them I dont even want any of their new cars because all the models are shit and he said we have a new truck coming in today. he then went and got me an quote on a luxury model that I flippantly said I wanted and he was willing to give it to me for $5k less than the asking price. Apparently they have no used cars and all the dealerships need to sell used cars to keep the lights running.

I just got an email from them saying I can just go straight to Toyota Financials to buy out my car. I guess my mistake was going to the dealership in the first place. lol But now I am very curious to find out just how valuable my car is because If I can get a 2022 model, luxury one no less, and get it for cheap after buying my car and then trading it in, I just might do that.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bought a new Dodge Challenger at the end of August. The V6 with leather stuff (Stx Plus trim line). Retail was 37, got it for 31ish and gave me a huge amount for my trade in. Guess they are not as popular as the Mustang and Camero but I have always wanted one. Stuff is out there but yeah pickings are slim.
lvTzZFa.jpg
Thats Hot GIF by MOODMAN

Aesius

My brother sold a trade-in 2003 Ford Taurus for nearly $7,000 at his dealership the other day. Granted, it was single owner, immaculate, and barely had over 20K miles, but still insane for a nearly 20 year old basic car.

Fbh

Yeah car prices are ridiculous right now.

Was just looking at used cars out of curiosity and the used Nissan we bought 2.5 years ago now costs like $1K more than what we paid for with an extra 15K kilometers on it

TheUsual

Gold Member
We're looking for a second car to make my fiancee's work commute a bit easier. We live in a new city and public transportation here isn't as reliable as Chicago (the one thing we definitely do miss about it). It's not a dealbreaker getting one, but the prices are something else with what you find.
Carvana has been suggested to us and the prices do look solid. That's how her brother and sister in law bought their car this summer.

MachRc

a few months back carvana was paying atleast 2k over Kelley blue book for "desirable" (late model SUV/Cross-overs).
You can easily check right now.

Forum members were getting 3-4k over their residual buyout lease...People are getting paid 2-4k to turn in their lease early...

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's always been a shitty time to buy a car.

You get screwed in one way or another no matter what you do.

JayK47

I'm afraid to drive my cars because of this shit. Are insurance companies paying out to match current prices? Will our rates go up? You may just need to pay more for a car. If you can manage with your current cars, make it happen. It could be a long while before things stabilize. It may get worse.

Excess

My insider info: It won't get better. The industry now believes that inflation is no longer transitory, which means they're going to tighten supply when things do improve with the chip shortage, keeping prices where they're at. No one wants to get caught with an oversupply when things turn around.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I kind of want a new car, as I am tired of my 2018, but just looking around the market is depressing. Either a good car is sold out before a dealer can even update their website, or one begins negotiations only to discover they're actually wanting $5k - $7k more than they listed it for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Worst time to buy a car is now although on the plus side interest rates are at record lows. But if anyone needs a new one, try to wait it out a couple more years.

Just like a lot of building material prices are back to normal. Looking at some raw material price charts the past year, during covid everything spiked up as people were all sitting at home renovating their house and building material makers also gimped their own supply as they thought covid was going to make everyone stay at home broke and saving money so they slowed production.

Nobody knew what was going to happen. When I spoke to my car sales guy when I took my car in he said car sales are at record highs. When I asked why, he didn't really have much of an answer except people are bored and want to spend money and drive around as their way of going on a trip. I asked him also during covid if they knew that was going to happen and he said nope. Nobody did. Everything was just guessing what they though would happen. Turns out it's boon time for dealerships. It could had also been in the toilet (which you'd think would make more logical sense with people uncertain about jobs and people working more at home, so why even need a new car anyway?)

Turns out many people are actually spending like it's lottery time.

So if anyone forced themselves to renovate in 2020, they probably paid double or triple for wood. Now, wood prices have plummeted back down.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I took a look at the blue book value of my car. It's worth more now, 3 years old with 28k miles, than what I paid for it brand new.

Worst time to buy anything is when you need it. You'll never get the best price.

With cars and trucks right now, I can drive by all the dealers in the area and there are lots of models sitting in the lots. Is it a case of these most likely being shitty trim packages that nobody wants? My buddy just bought a 2021 Nissan Rogue bare bones base model for CDN $28k. It suits him fine as he doesn't like paying for premium features.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Got my new car early in the pandemic when NO ONE was buying. 4k under MSRP, fraction of a %financing, and 3 years maintenance covered.

Didn't get a lot for my trade in but it was almost 10 years old and the A/C had just died, so I was moderately desperate. Still got close to blue book.

Glad I did, sounds like you can't be too picky now.

MacReady13

Dude, in Europe you need to wait 3 months for a fucking VW Golf. There is a massive shortage on the market.
I purchased a new Toyota Corolla hatchback 3 months ago and 2 months ago got an email saying my car will be delayed due to the factory in Japan having shortages of parts! I won’t this fucker till after Xmas!

Fools idol

Banned
I cashed out of some crypto and am looking to buy a 458 speciale and let me tell you the frsutration is real. I have owned prestige cars before but nothing like this, and not in this market. I drove 139 miles today to view a vehicle only to be told someone had put a deposit down on it while I was driving down and they asked me if I wanted to 'bid a higher offer' lol. Asked if that is standard practice with these at the moment and he said they sold out of every 488, 458 and pista they had listed wirhin 48 hours. Insane. These are expensive cars, you would think they would take more time to sell..

ah well.. first world problems I guess

I cashed out of some crypto and am looking to buy a 458 speciale and let me tell you the frsutration is real. I have owned prestige cars before but nothing like this, and not in this market. I drove 139 miles today to view a vehicle only to be told someone had put a deposit down on it while I was driving down and they asked me if I wanted to 'bid a higher offer' lol. Asked if that is standard practice with these at the moment and he said they sold out of every 488, 458 and pista they had listed wirhin 48 hours. Insane. These are expensive cars, you would think they would take more time to sell..

ah well.. first world problems I guess
Damn. Not a bad problem to have. What's the pricing like?

Ellery

Okay that is crazy. I wouldn't have expected exotic Ferrari cars to be hard to get. Especially the standard models (not the Pista).
How much are those cars (in the US?) 400k USD (for the Pista) or so ?

Fools idol

Banned
Damn. Not a bad problem to have. What's the pricing like?

For which car? the Speciale ranges quite a bit, for a clean example with low miles and a nice spec you can be paying £300-500k, but I am looking around the 'used' lower end (£200k ish).

Standard 458's you are looking at £130-175k depending on spec and milage, Pista's well... those are £300k minimum.

Boston

Visited a local dealer today to order a Range Rover Sport. At the end of the build I was feeling satisfied with the price, but then they slap a $10,000 market adjustment fee on it…

They used to knock thousands off new cars now they add them. Crazy world we’re living in.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I could sell my piece of shit 2003 Nissan that has 200k miles for 3000$ right now when it's worth at most $500

I'm driving a 19 year old vehicle and just threw another 1200 at it in repairs. I want to buy an electric SUV, and while I can, I struggle with the idea of buying an R1S because of the lost opportunity cost. Leaning towards getting another ICE, even though I don't want to. Local dealerships are adding 8k "market adjustment" fees, so not sure why I'd even bother.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Visited a local dealer today to order a Range Rover Sport. At the end of the build I was feeling satisfied with the price, but then they slap a $10,000 market adjustment fee on it…

They used to knock thousands off new cars now they add them. Crazy world we’re living in.

And they're just pocketing that 10k.

I think dealerships are realizing they just have us by the balls. For a dealer to sell you a car, they already own it and can charge whatever they want. The days of negotiating downwards from the sticker price are probably gone, sadly.

chromhound

I'm driving a 19 year old vehicle and just threw another 1200 at it in repairs. I want to buy an electric SUV, and while I can, I struggle with the idea of buying an R1S because of the lost opportunity cost. Leaning towards getting another ICE, even though I don't want to. Local dealerships are adding 8k "market adjustment" fees, so not sure why I'd even bother.
You could get a Ford Maverick Hybrid (i know it's not a EV)

Malakhov

Banned
I bought a new car in august, everything went well, great price, great rebate on it and great financing. Just before the crazy spike in gas prices as well, Im now doing 1800km with a 40l tank.

Last edited:

Reallink

And they're just pocketing that 10k.

I think dealerships are realizing they just have us by the balls. For a dealer to sell you a car, they already own it and can charge whatever they want. The days of negotiating downwards from the sticker price are probably gone, sadly.

Dealer profits are at record highs while manufacturer profits are at record lows. If the dealers still try to squeeze when/if production and inventory return to some semblance of normalcy, they're likely to wind up facing an industry wide concerted effort to overturn the laws that allow them to exist in the first place. Manufacturers with profits down 40-50% aren't going to allow dealers to run low volume lots with $10,000 in additional dealer markup, they will all collude and lobby to allow direct to consumer sells like Tesla. Dealers discount during normal times because the manufacturers give them backend bonuses for hitting sales quotas or moving models that are in surplus. If the dealers aren't moving many cars, that means the manufacturers have idle plants and idle workers draining them dry. The real concern is that manufacturers could decide to shutter plants and lay off workers and transition to a business model of selling far fewer cars at much higher prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom