• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying games from other regions Xbox/Playstation digital.

Leyasu

Banned
Ok, my question is primarily for xbox gamers as that is what I have, but if PS gamers are doing this, then please feel free to post how you are doing it. All tips/tricks and advice are welcome. I will reserve the second post so that worthwhile advice can be copy and pasted there.

Since 2014 I have been all digital. As I live in the EU, paying 70 euros, now 80 for some games is getting harder and harder to swallow. I did manage to get The Division gold edition off of the Argentinian xbox store for 35 euros a few years ago (now pretty much impossible), and buy all of my games now off of the US store. I can get most new releases for around 55 euros, but there is still money to be saved by using the Hong Kong store for example.

To get games from the US, I acquired an American address and phone number from www.Borderlinx.com many years ago. I then simply buy prepaid cards from Playasia, switch my xbox to the US, redeem the card and download from the store onto my console.

Now, can you do the same with other regions? Like Hong Kong, get a Hong Kong address and phone number (if so from where?)
Buy the prepaid cards and redeem them on your console or do you need a VPN and do it on the microsoft website for that country instead?
Any problems?
Cheapest store?

Most new games are in the 45 euro range on that store, and for EU players, pretty soon you that will almost be 2 games for the price of one once every game is 80 euros. Same I imagine for PS players. So every little helps.

Come on, help you fellow gamers get the best deals possible

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Why do you need to buy an American address? Are they physical cards?
I use amazon credit workaround to buy US digital psn cards, no need for a real US address (I'm using some Chinese restaurant address in US for it).

Leyasu

Banned
Why do you need to buy an American address? Are they physical cards?
I use amazon credit workaround to buy US digital psn cards, no need for a real US address (I'm using some Chinese restaurant address in US for it).
I didn't buy the address, I created a free account and it gave me an address.

What is the work around?

Fbh

No XBOX here, but on PSN:

I've always had a US PSN account because when the service launched it wasn't available in my country and Sony would literally tell people to make US accounts.
I've always just had a made up address and phone number and never had any issues. I remember I just looked up the address of some hotel and then made mine "nearby", same with the phone number.

As far as I know the same should work for other regions. You'll just need a place to buy pre paid PSN cards because it will only allow you to use credit cards issued in the same country as the PSN region. I'm also pretty sure it's breaking the TOS so technically Sony could ban you. Also Sony doesn't allow you to change regions (which is annoying as hell since not everyone wants to make a new account when they go live in another country) so you'll need a different PSN account for every region.

Last edited:

GHG

Create international account, buy digital credit from a source where they deliver the code to you digitally, done.

Just don't expect any support for that account though if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I get my games from the Brazilian store with gift cards works out the cheapest for me.

I paid £120 for valhalla, legions, control ultimate edition, cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed origins DLC this month

Leyasu

Banned
I get my games from the Brazilian store with gift cards works out the cheapest for me.

I paid £120 for valhalla, legions, control ultimate edition, cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed origins DLC this month

Fucking hell. That is a haul for not much.

I was wondering if it is possible to add an address on say xbox.com for Hong Kong, then buy the cards, switch my console to hong kong, redeem and download?

I'm googling it, but as yet I haven't found a definitive answer.

Ar¢tos

I didn't buy the address, I created a free account and it gave me an address.

What is the work around?
You associate 2 addresses to the credit card in amazon, the real one and the US one. Not delivery addresses, but credit card addresses. Using the real one you top up your amazon account (gift card to yourself) then you switch the credit card address to the US one and you buy the psn card, it associates the card to the purchase but makes no checks because the money is coming from the amazon credit (as long as there is enough in credit).

Night.Ninja

Banned
Fucking hell. That is a haul for not much.

I was wondering if it is possible to add an address on say xbox.com for Hong Kong, then buy the cards, switch my console to hong kong, redeem and download?

I'm googling it, but as yet I haven't found a definitive answer.

I dont think the Hong Kong method has worked for some time

But that is how I do it when buying games from the Brazilian store, I just needed to add a Brazilian address so I added a hotel.

I think it's best to to add gift cards to your Xbox console but then buy the games on the website and change your Xbox to the country that you wanted download the games from

Last edited:

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
I used to do that on the PS3 with having a American and Japanese account using wallet top-ups, being in the UK. Dont trust Sony with my debit card after 'that fiasco' years back!

The last game I got digitally with the Virtua-On Masterpiece Collection on the PS4 and that was earlier in the year!

Top Bottom