• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buys $2500 in parts for his PC, doesn't know how to put it together (livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M52B28

Banned
As the title says.

He went out, bought $2500 in parts for his PC, doesn't know how to build it.
http://www.twitch.tv/likebutterlive

He wont even watch the many tutorials on YouTube.

Probably one of the hardest things to watch.

Update: Eh. I don't know what's going to happen, but I need sleep. Godspeed, brother.

Update #2: Just woke up. I don't know what happened, but don't be an asshole to him, he's seriously frustrated and is struggling.

Update #3:

"But he IS dumb!" Isn't really a justification for heckling, mocking, and name calling. One of the reasons Neogaf is my only forum is because it's (mostly) quite different from places like 4chan or gamefaqs.

Have a bit decency. He has noticed the mistakes he has made and let him understand that. Name calling, discussing him personally, will make me consider having the moderators close this thread down. As I've said, I'm starting to get second thoughts about posting this thread, and I'm seriously starting to feel bad. We know he didn't listen to much advice given to him, but all of the insults are seriously unwarranted.

I actually pop up in his streams from time to time, and from what I can tell you, he's a pretty cool gamer and a nice person. Just chill out and stop with the negative remarks, otherwise, I will request for this thread to be done with.

Skii

I watched plenty of videos and still had problems. Can't imagine doing it without watching all the tutorials.

yatesl

Sure, I could do with something to cringe at tonight.

As long as it doesn't end with the videos where a kid puts his laptop in a microwave.

Or basically:
One guy bought a 2500 dollars PC and is looking for a way to pay the bill. Thats the way I feel it, one guy pretends to not know how to do it, a lot of people gather around on twitch and the guy tries to create a buzz.

M52B28

Banned
Or basically:
One guy bought a 2500 dollars PC and is looking for a way to pay the bill. Thats the way I feel it, one guy pretends to not know how to do it, a lot of people gather around on twitch and the guy tries to create a buzz.

Or the streamer knows how to put it together but is doing this stream for entertainment

No, he seriously doesn't know what he is doing. He avoided building his own PC and went through one of those pre-build companies for his first.

Ryne

The first time I tried to put a computer together in 2006 it was tough. Couldn't do it on my on.

Did it again in 2011, piece of cake.

It really does take some time, and trial and error for some people.

CHC

Putting a PC together is so easy.

He shouldn't even need instructions.

Gosh.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but I agree anyway. There is seriously only one place each thing can physically plug in, it's not rocket science, though on your first time there might be a little trial and error. Only remotely confusing part is plugging in those puny wires that control the case's power and reset buttons.

Corpekata

Banned
There are some aspects I can see being genuinely either confusing or stressful. Like I had a bitch of a time putting on my aftermarket heatsink.

Dropped in here and the guy hasn't done like anything yet. So I won't say it's all roses like some, but like if he's having trouble already, yikes

Nabbis

It's a fucking pain in the ass the first time you do it. There's also lot's of secondary annoyance like cable management and airflow configuration for your case.

Minions

The first time I tried to put a computer together in 2006 it was tough. Couldn't do it on my on.

Did it again in 2011, piece of cake.

It really does take some time, and trial and error for some people.

Newer CPU sockets take away the thrill of bending cpu pins.... its pretty error proof these days.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but I agree anyway. There is seriously only one place each thing can physically plug in, it's not rocket science, though on your first time there might be a little trial and error. Only remotely confusing part is plugging in those puny wires that control the case's power and reset buttons.

It's pretty straight forward but your first time handling the parts can be extremely nerve racking, especially when it comes to parts that require some force to seat properly. Also, some after market CPU heatsinks can be terrible to deal with.

Omega

Banned
cant believe likebutter is a fairly popular streamer.

played gears with him a few times back in the day

M52B28

Banned
It's going faster, but that's because his friends are guiding him through voice chat. It took him about an hour or 45 minutes to just get the processor in.

styl3s

Or basically:
I would be abso-fucking-lutely shocked if this wasn't the case.

Twitch people know how to milk the herd dry.

BrikHog

Neo Member
I mean.. you could just read the manual.

This is one of those times where the manual is not totally garbage.

It's going faster, but that's because his friends are guiding him through voice chat. It took him about an hour or 45 minutes to just get the processor in.
I must say, the processor is the most difficult part. Had some trouble with it also when I did it the first time.

The rest is just clicking everything in place and done.

Nokterian

Always fun to see how people not familiar on how to build a PC.

Let's see when the rage is coming before it is destroyed.

135.gif

I don't know anything about building a PC but it sounds really hard for somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. I look at all of those pieces and go "What?" Maybe it's not as hard as it looks but I could easily see someone struggling.

Zakalwe

Banned
Like many things, it's easy when you know how and are practised.

The first time you try clipping parts in can be difficult simply because the pressure you need to apply makes it seem like the parts are going to break. You need to be confident, and that takes a few goes.

styl3s

I don't know anything about building a PC but it sounds really hard for somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. I look at all of those pieces and go "What?" Maybe it's not as hard as it looks but I could easily see someone struggling.
Although building a PC isn't the hardest thing in the world to do it absolutely isn't easy doing it blind or if you don't know anything about PC's but these days with a proper guide i liken it to building lego.

But people calling people idiots for not knowing how are just assfaces.

daveo42

Banned
PC builds nowadays are super easy to do. Most of the shit is simple to install and near everything works right out of the box without the need to set jumpers or fiddle with the BIOS to get it up and running.

No, he seriously doesn't know what he is doing. He avoided building his own PC and went through one of those pre-build companies for his first.

So he's pimping that company on his stream? Hmm...

Who is this guy anyway? Is he known in the community or just some rando?

Slavik81

Eh, I've plugged my hard drives into the wrong SATA port before, or put my RAM in the wrong slot. It can be difficult to pull them out, and it's entirely possible to break the solder, or even rip a component off your motherboard if you're not careful. I did that to an audio connector when disassembling my laptop.

Overall, though, it's about as hard as putting together some Ikea furniture. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Lanrutcon

Like, building a box is fairly simple unless you go for super custom shit with non-standard cooling.

But, like all things in life, some common sense is required.

Dwalls

Neo Member
I didn't know shit before I built my current pc, it's really easy to be honest. The biggest issue is dealing with the limited space inside your case once you've got everything in there. Other than that it's fairly obvious where everything should go and he's obviously got someone that knows what they're doing talking him through it. The only thing I found terrifying was doing the test build on the mobo box because the videocard isn't being held in place so I was deathly terrified of snapping the pci-e thingy. Also the limited space thing might just be because of my giant manly man hands. The only thing that was hard is fitting the hyper 212 pro-evo cooler because those brackets are retarded.

DeaviL

Banned
I watched plenty of videos and still had problems. Can't imagine doing it without watching all the tutorials.

I made my first pc reading the motherboard manual.
I was sweating like a pig throughout though, something about working on delicate things does that to me.

Building a PC is about as difficult as putting a round peg in a round hole.
If you know what you're doing everything is "easy".

lmao dude..this is nice

although he is doing it faster than me ;_; i built my pc for 8 hours because i had to do cable management and had to do a push-pull config for my kraken

i had a 780t case
was frickin big lol

M52B28

Banned
Are you astroturfing for him now, hmmmm?
Nah, I just watch his streams from time to time. Knowing he's openly said that he doesn't know how to put computers together, I thought that this would be really interesting to watch.. As it is.

Who is this guy anyway? Is he known in the community or just some rando?
He's a pretty popular Gears of War streamer. I found him through his DayZ videos a few years ago. I think he just partnered with that company that's listed below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom