• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed Exposé: Milo, Breitbart Collabed Directly With Nazis For Years

kirblar

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.kyRqzbbga#.iqM54XXaL

In August, after a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville ended in murder, Steve Bannon insisted that "there's no room in American society" for neo-Nazis, neo-Confederates, and the KKK.

But an explosive cache of documents obtained by BuzzFeed News proves that there was plenty of room for those voices on his website.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, under Bannon’s leadership, Breitbart courted the alt-right — the insurgent, racist right-wing movement that helped sweep Donald Trump to power. The former White House chief strategist famously remarked that he wanted Breitbart to be “the platform for the alt-right.”

The Breitbart employee closest to the alt-right was Milo Yiannopoulos, the site’s former tech editor known best for his outrageous public provocations, such as last year’s Dangerous Faggot speaking tour and September’s canceled Free Speech Week in Berkeley. For more than a year, Yiannopoulos led the site in a coy dance around the movement’s nastier edges, writing stories that minimized the role of neo-Nazis and white nationalists while giving its politer voices “a fair hearing.” In March, Breitbart editor Alex Marlow insisted “we’re not a hate site.” Breitbart’s media relations staff repeatedly threatened to sue outlets that described Yiannopoulos as racist. And after the violent white supremacist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, Breitbart published an article explaining that when Bannon said the site welcomed the alt-right, he was merely referring to “computer gamers and blue-collar voters who hated the GOP brand.”

These new emails and documents, however, clearly show that Breitbart does more than tolerate the most hate-filled, racist voices of the alt-right. It thrives on them, fueling and being fueled by some of the most toxic beliefs on the political spectrum — and clearing the way for them to enter the American mainstream.

It’s a relationship illustrated most starkly by a previously unreleased April 2016 video in which Yiannopoulos sings “America the Beautiful” in a Dallas karaoke bar as admirers, including the white nationalist Richard Spencer, raise their arms in Nazi salutes.

These documents chart the Breitbart alt-right universe. They reveal how the website — and, in particular, Yiannopoulos — links the Mercer family, the billionaires who fund Breitbart, to underpaid trolls who fill it with provocative content, and to extremists striving to create a white ethnostate.

They capture what Bannon calls his “killing machine” in action, as it dredges up the resentments of people around the world, sifts through these grievances for ideas and content, and propels them from the unsavory parts of the internet up to TrumpWorld, collecting advertisers’ checks all along the way.

And the cache of emails — some of the most newsworthy of which BuzzFeed News is now making public — expose the extent to which this machine depended on Yiannopoulos, who channeled voices both inside and outside the establishment into a clear narrative about the threat liberal discourse posed to America. The emails tell the story of Steve Bannon’s grand plan for Yiannopoulos, whom the Breitbart executive chairman transformed from a charismatic young editor into a conservative media star capable of magnetizing a new generation of reactionary anger. Often, the documents reveal, this anger came from a legion of secret sympathizers in Silicon Valley, Hollywood, academia, suburbia, and everywhere in between.

Ithil

The most ridiculous part of all this is that the idiots who browse the site swallow their boogeyman story of "SOOOOROOOOOS" the eeevil Jewish billionaire funding all the things they don't like and how they're some kind of heroic underdog...yet Breitbart the site is not at all profitable and only continues to operate because it is funded by the billionaire Mercers, who really do fund loads of shit like this.

If these people ever saw a mirror it wouldn't shatter so much as dissolve into a gaseous form and escape the room.

And that is why people that defend Milo are clown shoes

Right? People suggest he should be heard out or considered out of fairness when Milo is interested in no such thing. Every time he's allowed to speak, he is using that as an opportunity to recruit and spread his ideas unchallenged and the belief that he is somehow coming to the table with good faith and an open mind ready to be changed. He's not and the reason he likes any public encounter is that he knows that being "challenged" by Bill Maher or anyone else means nothing in regards to his larger goal. Everything's a ploy and a testing ground to make his sick, bigoted ideals palatable and not as overt as his Nazi friends.

Haven't read it all yet, but damn, all those people in those pictures have faces you'd punch. Those are supposed to be the "superior" beings? And those emails... learn to write. I'd file that as spam if I ever got something written like that. Even Trump writes better on Twitter, and that is a low bar.

Of course this is all funded by some billionaire asshole. Meanwhile people like Bill Gates are saving millions of people in the third world and actually doing good with their money. But these Mercers rather fuck the world over like this.

“But if we don’t give them platforms we’re even worse than they are” and other bullshit

I feel like all the people standing up for these idiots will lie to their children in the future saying they were on the front lines of opposition and it makes me sick

Weckum

People keep hating on Buzzfeed but for the past two years they have been doing amazing journalism. Can't wait to read this.

Stoop Man

People keep hating on Buzzfeed but for the past two years they have been doing amazing journalism. Can't wait to read this.
They make their bread in click bait trash but every once in a while they do some genuinely good investigative journalism.

tuxfool

Banned
Some interesting sections:

DLZuidoV4AA9C37.jpg

DLZukEqUEAAIsAK.jpg

DLZukw6VoAAy2AX.jpg

Lime

“But if we don’t give them platforms we’re even worse than they are” and other bullshit

I feel like all the people standing up for these idiots will lie to their children in the future saying they were on the front lines of opposition and it makes me sick

They’re gonna do it with Kaep as well. Just like they did with Ali

The most disturbing part about this is the various "liberal" people who are secretly shilling for Milo and friends. All of these fuckers need to be named, shamed, and fired.

Nasty cowards
At least Milo was stupid enough to destroy his career if the revolution didn't happen.

Those notables im the woodwork saying one thing and quietly doing another, ugh.

Permanently A

Buzzfeed absolutely needs to rebrand their news outlet. Back when the Steel dossier was leaked by them, I tried to talk about it to my group of friends (a fairly liberal and progressive group that all despise Trump) and they just laughed at me and said "yeah, keep getting your news from Buzzfeed dude." No one takes the Buzzfeed name seriously and its just another dumb excuse to ignore real news.

fade_

They're just having some fun, completely a joke...but those ____ better not kneel for the flag this Sunday!

studyguy

The most disturbing part about this is the various "liberal" people who are secretly shilling for Milo and friends. All of these fuckers need to be named, shamed, and fired.

Makes the arguments to simply ignore Milio and guys like him ring pretty hollow when he digs his roots as far from his platform as Broadly. It's pretty wild the level of support he carries from people across the industry.

krazen

Wow. Much of this is nuts, particularly towards the end where supposedly 'left' media producers/writers/editors were sending Milo some tips and leads to attack.

And people wonder why many activists/progressives tend to view them with distrust.

All his surreptitious liberal minions make you wonder what all those people who supposedly don't support Milo but are concerned about the dangers of "deplatforming" really think.

Slayven

Wow. Much of this is nuts, particularly towards the end where supposedly 'left' media producers/writers/editors were sending Milo some tips and leads to attack.

And people wonder why many activists/progressives tend to view them with distrust.

yep, no wonder so many started sounding so right wing all of a sudden.

The calls were coming from inside the house

Famassu

Smuggled? They wore that shit on their sleeves with pride. People are just ignorant, bigoted fuckwads with very little in the form of critical thinking skills and let all the moronic nazi-propaganda influence them because muzlam terrurizm & nigga thugs be threatening all of mankind. Or whatever. They weren't subtle.

pigeon

Banned
I'm annoyed that they didn't reveal the names of the people who emailed Milo. I'd like them publicized.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are there direct links anywhere to these documents? They posted a few screenshots of emails but I do wonder about their authenticity.

Not that I disbelieve it. None of that is really non-believable. But hard evidence would be nice. I couldn't find the direct sources/materials in the article.

The most ridiculous part of all this is that the idiots who browse the site swallow their boogeyman story of "SOOOOROOOOOS" the eeevil Jewish billionaire funding all the things they don't like and how they're some kind of heroic underdog...yet Breitbart the site is not at all profitable and only continues to operate because it is funded by the billionaire Mercers, who really do fund loads of shit like this.

If these people ever saw a mirror it wouldn't shatter so much as dissolve into a gaseous form and escape the room.
Yup, it's mind-boggling really.

That too. Really disgusting.

The more I read this article the more I get a chill all over my body. White supremacism is basically a sleeper drug hidden in the genes of every white person in America. Many white people reject it, of course, but they don't have to -- and increasing numbers of whites are realizing that there's a benefit in embracing it.

Every day I feel that civil war is inevitable. America is two countries coming apart at the seams.

hypernima

Banned
Reading about the misogynistic comment the Vice editor made, when managing Broadly, a women's column jfc.

They might have not known but a man probably should not have been in that position.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm shocked. Shocked!

Well actually... not that shocked.

Top Bottom